Wii U - General Discussion Thread

How effective are flash drives? I know Nintendo doesn't recommend them. How are load times? I assume you're using one of the rear USB ports?
I have a sandisk one plugged in now, its not full or anything, and its only a 16GB which gives me exactly what I need as far as storage goes. I have no problems and the games load as if they were loading from system memory. Yes I am using the rear USB ports.

I wouldn't use the most cheap flash drive you can find, get one from a name brand.

Nintendo also doesn't recommend cleaning NES carts with rubbing alcohol, but its worked every time for me.

And would attending really push sales that much? Last year, even if Nintendo had been there they would have been ignored by Microsoft's and Sony's dick-measuring contest.
True, console launch years are an exception. What a dick measuring contest that was! Best E3 in years. One company trips over their own shoelaces and basically falls off the stage while the other camp was running around on stage with middle fingers up to the competition.

Point was a Nintendo direct gets you zero mainstream press. At best they get some enthusiast press. It's essentially preaching to the choir. E3 may not get you much, but some press is better than none. It also gets people who ignore Nintendo for 364 days of the year to take note of what's going on in their camp. That in turn could sway some folks on the fence or at least move the interest needle a little bit.

I'm probably going to get MK8 with the free Best Buy gas card now that they're giving out a free game with it. They're going all out with this, it seems to be something of a Hail Marry pass. To see Nintendo say, "Buy our new game and get this game that's 9 months old FREE" is pretty staggering (especially from them).

Looks like they must have taken a page from Microsoft's "What to do when your console is failing" book. If this doesn't push a lot of console sales, nothing will.
Hmm, wasn't really down for MK8, but damn, with GCU the game is $48 + $10 gas card (so essentially $38). I already have all the promo games but WiiParty (don't want) but a digital copy of Pikmin would be sweet so I don't have to mess with the disc.

Pretty tempting for a game I'm not even lukewarm about. Decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I'm waiting for my Wii u to deliver to my house.  I was wondering If anyone uses a USB flash drive as an external game storing source for their Wii U?  Im having a hard time getting conformations online seeing if it will work to store games.  Although the few sources I found said it should work fine.  I was gonna get any cheap USB flash drive since the Wii U only has USB 2.0 ports

Well, I got the Zelda Wii U bundle on clearance for 179.99, so I took the plunge. (Though I have a dorky white silicone cover on the only thing that makes it a Zelda Wii U, so I might do a clear case one of these days) It seems really cool. The LCD to me looks better in my home than it did when I was trying out the kiosks (could just be me though) The UI is gorgeous, though I wish it was a little snappier. I was also having a ton of issues downloading NES Remix where the eShop would close on me randomly, or the download would corrupt. Still, overall, it's slick. I love Miiverse and reading all of the random shit, and the drawings people make. That's a really neat, next generation concept.

Loving NES Remix. Any suggestions on anything else I should download? Preferably something that isn't on the other consoles or Steam. 

Hey guys, I'm waiting for my Wii u to deliver to my house. I was wondering If anyone uses a USB flash drive as an external game storing source for their Wii U? Im having a hard time getting conformations online seeing if it will work to store games. Although the few sources I found said it should work fine. I was gonna get any cheap USB flash drive since the Wii U only has USB 2.0 ports
I think Nintendo discourages it because it can wear the drive down quickly, since the OS isn't optimized for flash media. But a page back people were saying they work fine, just don't go too cheap / get a brand name. Haven't had the need to try it out yet myself.

Hey guys, I'm waiting for my Wii u to deliver to my house. I was wondering If anyone uses a USB flash drive as an external game storing source for their Wii U? Im having a hard time getting conformations online seeing if it will work to store games. Although the few sources I found said it should work fine. I was gonna get any cheap USB flash drive since the Wii U only has USB 2.0 ports
Wow the posts before you were literally discussing that. Good job there.

I think Nintendo discourages it because it can wear the drive down quickly, since the OS isn't optimized for flash media. But a page back people were saying they work fine, just don't go too cheap / get a brand name. Haven't had the need to try it out yet myself.
Now wait a second, the internal 32GB/8GB is flash. They don't have a hard drive inside of that box...

Fry's Marketplace in Tempe and yes, sadly I bought the last one. However, either the fry's marketplace on Higley and Chandler Heights, or the one way south in Queen Creek near Ellsworth, I can't remember, has at least one at full price. Might be worth keeping an eye on.

If I get MK8 I guess I'm getting Wii Party U since I already own the other games.  Can't complain though - free is free.  I'm still on the fence though - I've never loved MK although I've only really played the N64 and GBA versions...

Fry's Marketplace in Tempe and yes, sadly I bought the last one. However, either the fry's marketplace on Higley and Chandler Heights, or the one way south in Queen Creek near Ellsworth, I can't remember, has at least one at full price. Might be worth keeping an eye on.
Gah, I check the Fry's Marketplace on Baseline and McClintock around once a week (since its right next to my house), I guess I just missed it then (along with them clearing out the PS3 consoles). I'll have to swing by the one on Ray and Rural road, I thought they had at least one Wii U there.

Thanks for letting me know!

I had thought Ray and Rural stopped carrying games. I could be entirely wrong. So many of them stopped and started clearances or are in the midst of clearances that it is hard to keep track. Good luck!

I swear this is getting ridiculous. Google is your friend:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/11/the-best-hard-drives-for-the-wii-u

In a Pinch? SD Cards and USB Sticks
This is the absolute last resort, but if you find that you've run out of storage options and you must download a game immediately, it is possible to hook up both a USB flash drive and an SD card to free up memory.

Flash drives can be recognized by the Wii U and don't need any special adaptors to work correctly, but Nintendo strongly advises against them due to the constant read/write processes that happen during games. You can use a USB stick for game storage, though, and you can simply transfer games from the stick to a much sturdier drive when the time is right.

An SD card may be used to free up space on the Wii U, but not for games. Nintendo says that they're only able to store Mii-related information and photos, so don't try to use one for game storage.

I swear this is getting ridiculous. Google is your friend:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/11/the-best-hard-drives-for-the-wii-u
Most people probably don't need to use their flash drive in this way anyway. You can offload a large game stored on your Wii U onto the flash drive and download the new game onto the internal memory. In other words, if you're actually worried about the drive failing, just don't play games off of it, use it for storage instead.

Besides, you should be able to save your games to the internal memory and if you do that, it won't matter if the drive fails and you re-download. The save data doesn't really take that much space so a second flash drive to back up the data can be a small one you've had for a long time and have no use for any longer (with so little space). I think most people have a pile of flash drives at this point.

I'd much rather use what I already have than buy something new.

And I want to point this out again: The Wii U is using flash memory inside and not a hard drive. What exactly makes their internal memory so special?

Nintendo is saying that in case they have a problem, kind of like they say kids under 7 shouldn't play games in 3D, but nothing damaging has ever happened to a kid who played in 3D who was under the age of 7. In fact some suggest it may be beneficial for kids to play games in 3D in some cases. I am sure tons of kids under 7 have the 3DS and use it unsupervised and play it in 3D, especially based on the kind of parenting I see happening here and I have never heard of a case where it damaged the eyes.

They probably also want you to buy a more expensive external drive. Most drives won't even work properly because most portable drives these days are sold without power adapters, and a Y cable doesn't always work 100% of the time. There are only a few models of drives that use a power adapter so you would have to get one of those and probably spend more to get them.  So this solution is about as good as using a flash drive. External hard drives can also fail as well, so if you want something foolproof, really nothing is foolproof.

Most people won't need 500GB of space, I just need a little more than 3GB since Wii Fit U won't fit on a 3GB drive. A 16GB drive is perfect for me.

As far as the save files, it doesn't seem like you can separate the data and save the save file to the console's flash memory if you have the game stored on the flash drive. If anyone has been able to do this, let me know.

Worst case scenario, buy a new flash drive every 2-3 years, probably a lot cheaper than buying an external hard drive, might cost you all of $5-10 if that every 3 years. I am pretty sure you can transfer your data between drives. Mind you I wouldn't buy the cheap no name drives though, though if you care about what is on the drive, you shouldn't really be using those for anything.

Most people won't need 500GB of space, I just need a little more than 3GB since Wii Fit U won't fit on a 3GB drive. A 16GB drive is perfect for me.
Yeah, I don't get that. People go around buying expensive hard drives for the Wii U when it's extremely unlikely that they'll need as much space on it as they would need on the other consoles or their home PC.

As far as the save files, it doesn't seem like you can separate the data and save the save file to the console's flash memory if you have the game stored on the flash drive. If anyone has been able to do this, let me know.

Worst case scenario, buy a new flash drive every 2-3 years, probably a lot cheaper than buying an external hard drive, might cost you all of $5-10 if that every 3 years. I am pretty sure you can transfer your data between drives. Mind you I wouldn't buy the cheap no name drives though, though if you care about what is on the drive, you shouldn't really be using those for anything.
I was going to edit my post but got side tracked. I went and backed me games up but when doing it I realized you can't separate saves. I can only assume it's some sort of DRM but really it's just a pain in the ass and is something you can do anywhere else.

As for flash drive replacement, if you're going to be playing a game a LOT it probably makes sense to just play it off the internal memory. Say for example, you get Pikmin free with MK8 purchase and you plan on powering through Pikmin until you're finished - just play off the internal memory then when you're done move it over.

I tried to put the flash drives into my PC and it won't read them (Windows 7). Maybe there's some tool that can be used to backup the game data onto PC? If so then that would be a way to use a hard drive to pack up Wii U data without dumping a bunch of money into a drive that will only have 1/10 of it's space used.

I tried to put the flash drives into my PC and it won't read them (Windows 7). Maybe there's some tool that can be used to backup the game data onto PC? If so then that would be a way to use a hard drive to pack up Wii U data without dumping a bunch of money into a drive that will only have 1/10 of it's space used.
You're not going to be able to do that since the Wii/WiiU uses its own proprietary Linux based file system.

Well, unless you jailbreak your Wii/WiiU that is.

But what about games I can't fit on my internal memory, like Wii Fit U. those have to go on the flash drive, no questions asked. That is the game I play the most and its on the flash drive. No problems yet. Now after 3-4 years I will probably get myself a new drive and just copy the data using the system.

I think you can transfer from one drive to another, they have 2 slots in the menu for 2 USB storage devices and 4 USB ports, so this would be no problem.

Wait, what is this about a free game with MK8 at Best Buy!? I need to look into that! I preordered at GS because of a trade-in deal, but I'm paying $60 (in GS credit) and getting nothing else with it. I was willing to pass on the gas card, but a free game is a different matter!

And I love the posts about how skipping the E3 live presentation did wonders for the Wii U sales last year so obviously that means their Direct was the one and only cause of their problems. If only...

Wait, what is this about a free game with MK8 at Best Buy!? I need to look into that! I preordered at GS because of a trade-in deal, but I'm paying $60 (in GS credit) and getting nothing else with it. I was willing to pass on the gas card, but a free game is a different matter!

And I love the posts about how skipping the E3 live presentation did wonders for the Wii U sales last year so obviously that means their Direct was the one and only cause of their problems. If only...
It's not just Best Buy. It's everywhere. It's done through the MK8 Club Nintendo code.

It's not just Best Buy. It's everywhere. It's done through the MK8 Club Nintendo code.
Yeah, I just read up on that (though it is under that bundle thread for some reason which I think made me ignore it at first). It seemed people were implying it was a Best Buy thing in this thread. Thus it has nothing to do with the "gas card" promo from Best Buy - Blasterman's point that they are desperate and giving us gas and free games is thus moot.

Hmmm... I was actually tempted to get MK8 digitally since that is a game I'd never sell and would probably want to switch in and out frequently. I have enough eShop credit for one game - but I was thinking Smash Bros might be a better option. I know it doesn't matter in terms of getting the freebie (code gets registered either way).

As for the free game, I have everything except Wind Waker. That's a great game and all, but it is actually the only Zelda game I've ever finished (on the GC of course) so I don't feel a need to get that, really. Maybe I'll sell my copy of Pikmin or my unopened Wii Party.

Yeah, I just read up on that (though it is under that bundle thread for some reason which I think made me ignore it at first). It seemed people were implying it was a Best Buy thing in this thread. Thus it has nothing to do with the "gas card" promo from Best Buy - Blasterman's point that they are desperate and giving us gas and free games is thus moot.

Hmmm... I was actually tempted to get MK8 digitally since that is a game I'd never sell and would probably want to switch in and out frequently. I have enough eShop credit for one game - but I was thinking Smash Bros might be a better option. I know it doesn't matter in terms of getting the freebie (code gets registered either way).

As for the free game, I have everything except Wind Waker. That's a great game and all, but it is actually the only Zelda game I've ever finished (on the GC of course) so I don't feel a need to get that, really. Maybe I'll sell my copy of Pikmin or my unopened Wii Party.
I don't remember saying anything about the gas card being a desperate move but I could be wrong. The game on the other hand seems like it. I've certainly never heard of something like this on a brand new game before. I'm pretty sure that the Nintendo Direct being released the day after their "no press conference at E3" news was some kind of damage control and not a coincidence.

I'll happily take their free game instead of waiting a year or two to buy. $60 for Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, and $10 in gas seems pretty good. Basically $25+tax for each of the two games. I usually like to pay around $20 for my games but a net price of $25 for a brand new release like this is very close to my price point and too good to pass up. If I was to pay retail without the gas card, I'd probably just hold off on buying and wait until towards the end of July in hopes of a discount of any kind since $60 paid at the end of May is no better or worse than $60 paid at the end of July but with the gas card I'll buying from BBY through a preorder. I'm pretty patient when it comes to waiting for better prices on video games since I've already got plenty to play and don't have the time to play all day long.

I think this will sell a lot of copies of Mario Kart 8 that would have originally sat on the shelves. It will push some consoles too but I don't know how many. IMO there is also a really good chance that stores will put sales on the 4 games being given away free or just completely clearance them out. If someone waited a year to buy Pikmin 3 then they were given it for free, they certainly aren't going to buy a copy now. I plan on getting Pikmin 3 for free but all the anecdotal discussion here makes it sound like over half the people will chose that game. That means that stores will probably try to get rid of inventory similar to what happens a month after a game is free on PS+. I won't redeem my code right away anyway because I want to wait until it counts towards next year's Club Nintendo so maybe they'll have Pikmin 3 for $20 or less by then and I can chose a different game for my free one.

I guess I'll get Zelda, though I don't ever see myself playing it. Not that it isn't good - I just have so many more other games I haven't played yet, including the last 2 Wii Zelda games and the 3DS one.

Yeah I will be waiting to register my code as well, I also want to play mario kart instead of the other game first so that will give me time to play kart before I download the other game. I am trying to decide between Pikmin and Zelda. Zelda is around $30 used and will probably get cheaper or go on a sale. Pikmin probably won't drop in price but I am not sure if I will even play it.

Can I redeem the old outdated Wii Points cards on the WiiU or 3DS? I have several unused 2000 Wii Points cards and want to know if I should burn through them before the Wii Shop shuts down. I don't have a WiiU or 3DS to test it.

I tried Googling for answers, but read conflicting reports, so I hope a few more knowledgeable CAGs here can help.

GunstarRed said:
Can I redeem the old outdated Wii Points cards on the WiiU or 3DS? I have several unused 2000 Wii Points cards and want to know if I should burn through them before the Wii Shop shuts down. I don't have a WiiU or 3DS to test it.

I tried Googling for answers, but read conflicting reports, so I hope a few more knowledgeable CAGs here can help.
Is the Wii Shop shutting down soon? I have a few of those points cards as well. You can only redeem them on the Wii Shop, though you can do it from the Wii U's internal Wii mode.

Is it fully confirmed that the Wii Shop is staying up past the May 20 online shutdown? I would still feel uncomfortable hanging onto Wii Points Cards past that since I'd be screwed out of 10000 plus Wii Points should it go down as well.

I suppose there's no point in waiting to spend them since it's not like they're going to add anything new. Maybe I'll get a bunch of old TG-16 games I was considering. If I can't find enough to buy, maybe trade the rest of them here.

I was checking the Wii Shop last night and is it just me, or were a lot of games delisted? I haven't checked it in months, and it just seems like there's less stuff there than I remembered.

Hmmm - I found 3 2000 points cards in a drawer. I should have sold them long ago but this spurred me to finally try selling them on eBay. So I certainly hope the Wii Shop stays up longer than that or I might have some unhappy buyers ;).

I probably have more cards other places. I should do a thorough check since I'll never use them. Hell, I've had $40 in newer eShop cards for months and I haven't even found a use for those (though I probably will buy Smash Bros., or maybe even Mario Kart, digitally with those).

Hmmm - I found 3 2000 points cards in a drawer. I should have sold them long ago but this spurred me to finally try selling them on eBay. So I certainly hope the Wii Shop stays up longer than that or I might have some unhappy buyers ;).

I probably have more cards other places. I should do a thorough check since I'll never use them. Hell, I've had $40 in newer eShop cards for months and I haven't even found a use for those (though I probably will buy Smash Bros., or maybe even Mario Kart, digitally with those).
I'd be willing to buy one of those codes of you :wave:

Any suggestions on good Wiiware exclusives? I'm going to use the points up on my Wii I had stored, and then transfer it over to the Wii U
TBH there are very few good Wiiware exclusives (at least 100%), but here are the ones I would recommend that are mostly exclusive:

LostWinds 1 and 2 (they recently fixed the issue in the past where you couldn't port it over to Wii U)

Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth (also remakes of Contra and Gradius too, these are 100% exclusive)

Bubble Bobble Plus! (Technically exclusive, though they came out with a similar Neo version on 360 later on)

Fluidity (Was available as a free CN reward twice now, but if you haven't played it, do so, its probably the best 100% exclusive Wiiware game)

Moto Heroz (expensive, but the closest thing to Trials on the Wii)

La Mulana (its out on the PC as well though, still worth it for 1000 points and mostly exclusive)

Jett Rocket (probably the only really good exclusive 3D platformer on there)

This is in addition to the mainstays that aren't exclusive but still worth it (Megaman 9 and 10, escapeVektor, Swords and Soldiers, And Yet It Moves, etc.), as well as tons of puzzle games (too many to mention here). I'd mention the Bit.Trip series, but its a much better idea to get the dirt cheap Bit.Trip Complete compliation by now.

I would also recommend getting certain VC titles like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Monster World IV if you haven't already.

Not sure if this is the right thread or this or not, so if it isn't sorry.

Anyways I'm looking at adding some wii u games to my collection and was wondering had anyone played the wonderful 101? Good game? What's it similar to? I was looking at it on the Nintendo website, but it made more questions than it answered

b86.gif

I've started turning on my Wii U lately after having it since December I finally decided to start playing it.

Mario 3D World is such a great game and it looks really good to. Currently at World 3 so I'm not sure how much longer I have to go through it. Afterwards I'm going to move to Wonderful 101.

bread's done
Back