Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Exclusive my ass no way in hell sega and platinum would piss off the bayonetta fan base like that by making them buy a whole new console just to play a sequel fuck that, itll be ported within a year, good thing monster hunter HD is coming

[quote name='PaulDE01']Same here one of my favorite games. Surprised to see it a Wii U exclusive.[/QUOTE]

Wont' be exclusive forever. Nothing 3rd party is anymore.

Yeah, I'm super PUMPED to hear from an Activision exec at a Nintendo presser. That's exactly what I was hoping for. Not new 1st party titles, just some dude in a nice jacket. Soooooo pumped for this.

(Seriously, though, I love that jacket.)

Cant believe Capcom is porting Monster Hunter again, will it even come to the us who knows.

And is that footage of 007 legends a joke? thing looked horrid

[quote name='jkam']Wont' be exclusive forever. Nothing 3rd party is anymore.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It won't be exclusive forever but just surprised its a exclusive at all for the Wii U.

[quote name='renique46']Cant believe Capcom is porting Monster Hunter again, will it even come to the us who knows.

And is that footage of 007 legends a joke? thing looked horrid[/QUOTE]

The whole video looked horrible. Is that what games will look like? I saw better stuff on the old xbox.
As for Bayonetta 2, I'll wait for the exclusive period to be over. That's the only thing that seems interesting...and we didn't even see any actual video.

Yea i doubt that many people who were interested in BLOPS2 are getting this version too much established install base on the other 2 consoles with XBL PSN etc. Show us new stuff Nintendo please sigh.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']The fact Nintendo is publishing Bayonetta 2 makes me think that there's a pretty decent chance it's going to stay exclusive...[/QUOTE]

-remembers Re4 supposedly being a Cube exclusive-

[quote name='renique46']Yea i doubt that many people who were interested in BLOPS2 are getting this version too much established install base on the other 2 consoles with XBL PSN etc. Show us new stuff Nintendo please sigh.[/QUOTE]

The two player stuff does look like it's well done though. I think it's much better to use a Gamepad and TV as opposed to split screen.

..but yeah, I want more Nintendo too. That's why I buy Nintendo consoles.

That jacket is the only positive thing about this presentation.

Reg can't even guarantee a launch library. And he's wrong about the strength of the launch. SMW by itself is 5 million times stronger than the launch games they cannot guarantee.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I wish the 8GB model was $249 or not had me buy Nintendo Land (as of a cheaper bundle), I think it would of been better. I hope they at least have expandable storage.

If I can still play games and watch TV at the same time, this still holds value to me.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is a feature I am looking forward to in this console and yes it might eventually get me to buy one but the price for a console which is effectively 1/2 step above current consoles (and thus severely lacking in future expandability) just doesn't cut it. The price needed to be $250-$300 max for their "premium" system. Did they even announce how much replacement/extra tablets will be on their own?

Good god Nintendo, why didn't you learn from 3DS that Wii was lightning in a bottle and can't be repeated. You can't go around pricing your tech like it'll be a hot seller when you have no idea if it'll be a hot seller.

[quote name='jkam']I love how Nintendo releases old tech and act like it's the latest greatest newest thing anyone has ever done.[/QUOTE]

The tech under the hood doesn't bother me as much as their complete aversion to using a harddrive to up the amount of onboard memory. This day and age 32 GB just doesn't cut it particularly with game expansions and DLC. Of course, this indicates the implication that Nintendo still, 2 full generations after it started, is refusing to support DLC in any meaningful way. 8 GB, the original damn Xbox had 8 GB of onboard storage!! Shake my head Nintendo, shake my head...

[quote name='renique46']Yea i doubt that many people who were interested in BLOPS2 are getting this version too much established install base on the other 2 consoles with XBL PSN etc. Show us new stuff Nintendo please sigh.

-remembers Re4 supposedly being a Cube exclusive-[/QUOTE]

Did Nintendo publish RE4?

LMAO " Heres a look at what to expect from November to the end of march window"

-shows a video with 90% of games already available elsewhere-

[quote name='mykevermin']Very disappointing. Will Nintendo be a handheld-only hardware producer in half a decade? I'd seriously consider putting money on it.[/QUOTE]
And the complication for Nintendo is that they almost definitely see themselves needing to compete in a smartphone sense. It's a very weird time for Nintendo.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']

The tech under the hood doesn't bother me as much as their complete aversion to using a harddrive to up the amount of onboard memory. This day and age 32 GB just doesn't cut it particularly with game expansions and DLC. Of course, this indicates the implication that Nintendo still, 2 full generations after it started, is refusing to support DLC in any meaningful way. 8 GB, the original damn Xbox had 8 GB of onboard storage!! Shake my head Nintendo, shake my head...[/QUOTE]
At least they did get the SSD part right. Things should load quick as shit. Although 8 GB is terribad.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
The tech under the hood doesn't bother me as much as their complete aversion to using a harddrive to up the amount of onboard memory. This day and age 32 GB just doesn't cut it particularly with game expansions and DLC. Of course, this indicates the implication that Nintendo still, 2 full generations after it started, is refusing to support DLC in any meaningful way. 8 GB, the original damn Xbox had 8 GB of onboard storage!! Shake my head Nintendo, shake my head...[/QUOTE]

That's somewhat my point though, even when they do something right they find a way to gimp it anyway. I agree though the tech wouldn't matter if there was more original content here....overall though meh.

I can confirm GameStop IS taking pre-orders. I just pre-ordered the Deluxe version at my store.

Some things to note:

It is not actually called "Wii U" in the store computer yet. The manager at my store said the system hasn't been updated and it's right now listed as "available SKU". Both versions are called this, but have different SKUs.

The deluxe model's SKU is 020358. The basic model's SKU is 020359. A $50 deposit is required.

He said the computer will probably re-name them to WiiU by tomorrow but because it was a "hush hush" situation that they were opening preorders today, they haven't been changed yet. He also told me he wasn't sure how many pre orders they'd be taking.

I'll repost this in the deals forum as well. I'm sure there will people there wondering.

A really, really big point is that they STILL didn't distinguish what the tablet brings to the 1P/2P experience. This is the crux of the problem. With a gameplay hook, suddenly they've got a mechanic to feature.

Without it, TVii demos and some dude from Activision in a really nice jacket.

Anyhow, I'm taking my hyperbole and booking. See ya, Nintendo. We had good times.

They announced Dragon Quest X WiiU on Nintendo Japan Press Confernce, Beta/test application including with Deluxe Console

Thats the other thing Im interested in, but I got a 3Ds, so maybe not

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']THAT'S IT?? For the first time ever I'm not going to have a new Nintendo system at launch.

WOW...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm in the same boat. The information I have right now isn't wow-ing me. Also, the more I'm thinking about this pricing scheme, the more I'm thinking they did learn from the 3DS... What did they learn? That no matter what the launch price is they'll sell a million at that price based on their name alone. Then they can just drop the price later when they've run out of early adopter sales and hit it big.

This pricing strategy, particularly when compared to the humility they showed with the Gamecube and Wii launch prices, just plain reeks of fucking over their diehard fans. You can always drop the price of a shitty selling system but its hard to raise the price of a hot selling item. Nintendo today has shown themselves to be even more arrogant than Apple...

I haven't followed the Wii U very much since E3... but have they shown any other original games, outside of the ZombieU (or whatever), Rayman and Pikmin 3?

This is the first major console release where I know little to nothing about.

I think the entire experience is what Nintendo is really pushing. The fact that it's not just a gaming console. Personally, I'm excited to have Pikmin 3 at least, and all the other goodies they're adding.

Also, shouldn't there be a Wii U sub forum under Nintendo now? Where's a mod when you need him?

Where the fuck was the info on the Nintendo Network, and what do they have planned to compete with XBL & PSN. Talk about swing and a miss. Also In b4 67 non deals threads for pre ordering get posted in the deals section.

[quote name='dothog']A really, really big point is that they STILL didn't distinguish what the tablet brings to the 1P/2P experience. This is the crux of the problem. With a gameplay hook, suddenly they've got a mechanic to feature.

Without it, TVii demos and some dude from Activision in a really nice jacket.

Anyhow, I'm taking my hyperbole and booking. See ya, Nintendo. We had good times.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree as I think the Metroid and Call of Duty demos both showed it. For Metroid it gives the ability to have two separate types of gameplay going on at once and for COD it was the two screens instead of split screen. Which I'll admit might not be worth it for a lot of people, but it's there.

Personally, the two screens instead of split screen is a big thing for me as I'm into couch co-op and split screen gaming gets on my nerves at times. I'm also looking forward to the ability to pause some games and continue on the toilet. :)

[quote name='mykevermin']I think even the 'diehard fans' are less than sanguine about the presser that Nintendo just put on, RvB.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm speaking merely from their point of view that they figure they'll sell a million right out of the gate almost regardless of the price. I was really excited for this thing but now it seems like Nintendo's not even trying anymore. They want to be Wii-big again and put as little effort and money as possible to get there.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The tech under the hood doesn't bother me as much as their complete aversion to using a harddrive to up the amount of onboard memory. This day and age 32 GB just doesn't cut it particularly with game expansions and DLC. Of course, this indicates the implication that Nintendo still, 2 full generations after it started, is refusing to support DLC in any meaningful way. 8 GB, the original damn Xbox had 8 GB of onboard storage!! Shake my head Nintendo, shake my head...[/QUOTE]

Come now, 8GB is fine and is expandable via USB (assuming that hasnt changed) or via an SD card. iOS devices come with 8GB on the low end and they do just fine for that particular audience. This isnt a restriction in the way the 360 had when it launched a core unit with no on board storage.

For the group of gamers who spends a lot on DLC, a hard drive or 64GB SD card isnt going to be a large hurdle.

[quote name='foltzie']Come now, 8GB is fine and is expandable via USB (assuming that hasnt changed) or via an SD card. iOS devices come with 8GB on the low end and they do just fine for that particular audience. This isnt a restriction in the way the 360 had when it launched a core unit with no on board storage.

For the group of gamers who spends a lot on DLC, a hard drive or 64GB SD card isnt going to be a large hurdle.[/QUOTE]

This feels apologetic. "For people who wish to spend more, it's easy! Just spend more to spend more!"

32GB would have been okay as a starting point. 8GB makes me have the sads for Nintendo.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yes, this is a feature I am looking forward to in this console and yes it might eventually get me to buy one but the price for a console which is effectively 1/2 step above current consoles (and thus severely lacking in future expandability) just doesn't cut it. The price needed to be $250-$300 max for their "premium" system. Did they even announce how much replacement/extra tablets will be on their own?

Good god Nintendo, why didn't you learn from 3DS that Wii was lightning in a bottle and can't be repeated. You can't go around pricing your tech like it'll be a hot seller when you have no idea if it'll be a hot seller.[/QUOTE]

Problem is, they can't price it like a 10 year old console either. This thread demonstrates the problem all console makers are going to have with the next generation. People are going to ask, "why should I buy this when what I have is good enough?" Unlike others, I don't expect the next generation to be as mind-blowing and will be a tougher sell, which is why I don't expect Sony or Microsoft to put out something soon.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The tech under the hood doesn't bother me as much as their complete aversion to using a harddrive to up the amount of onboard memory. This day and age 32 GB just doesn't cut it particularly with game expansions and DLC. Of course, this indicates the implication that Nintendo still, 2 full generations after it started, is refusing to support DLC in any meaningful way. 8 GB, the original damn Xbox had 8 GB of onboard storage!! Shake my head Nintendo, shake my head...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is curious that they are sticking with SSDs, but it seems traditional that they go with the more expensive storage option. I hope they have a good plan managing it.

That being said, I don't see too many Basics being sold, but they probably needed to at least offer it.

I am not sure the masses are going to buy this a second time, we all know the masses have turned to the iPad and right now everyone is high on the iPhone 5 so the masses probably don't even know about this yet. Nintendo had a hit with the Wii because the price point was just right and it provided something different that was never seen before. Price is everything to get into the market in the US, or the masses might be saying, I am not going to drop $300 on this console, I already have a Wii that now sits here and collects dust. Now this is feeling more and more like a rehash. I also don't see the strong lineup of games, just another Mario game, and Nintendo land (which will almost surely drop in price quickly 2 years after the Wii U releases), there is nothing with mass casual appeal like Wii sports.

If they want the hardcore they have already lost them to Sony and MS. The truly die hards will pick this up as an extra console to play alongside their PS3 and Xbox 360, while they save their money for the next iterations of those consoles.

As far as the controller most people who want a tablet probably already have one, so they will dismiss this as a gimmicky attempt at trying to get into the marketplace.

Will this sell, I am sure it will sell during the holiday season, it is a new product after all, and there will be die hard fans that will buy it. The households that have everything will buy it because it is something they do not have. Will it keep selling after the initial holiday rush.. I have no idea. My guess is they pull the same thing they did with the 3DS, price it high to lure the die hards and the early adopters then when sales start slumping in march they will reduce the price to lure the rest of the people who did not pick it up yet. They will have to drop the price if this thing does not sell, or else they will have a failure on their hands.

There are still a lot of unanswered questions about this console (still waiting for battery life results of the controller, which I probably won't get until its been in the public's hands for a month)...

Another thing is a games console should be for games, I don't see a lot of games coming out for this system that I can't already get on one of my other systems, which are far superior to this and have tons of storage space, so much that I will probably never have to worry about using it all up. I am a big fan of Sony's PS Plus right now, I can't see a better value than paying $50 per year and getting to download a ton of free games.

You know it's kind of weird, I mean Nintendo went out of their way to re-capture the "casual" crowd and now it looks like they are trying to entice gamers again but I'm just not seeing who this all appeals to. I like Mario and all but haven't felt the need to buy New Super Mario Bros. 2 for 3ds or the need to buy a system for New Super Mario Bros. U.

I guess the tablet can do interesting things but it hasn't been shown.

Wow It's like why even bother with the $299 version? Unless everyone is sold out of the $50 version and your desperate.

Also good catch by Nintendo with Bayonetta 2. That is very rage inducing.

I'm glad Nintendo has priced this too high this just gives me more of an execuse to stick to one hand held and console next gen (3DS and either XBox 720 or PS4) as I doubt either MS or Sony will price higher then $400 next gen.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']If the Wii-U hooked into my DirecTV receiver and was able to do a live guide and netflix all from one box, and allowed me to watch TV and game at the same time, then just maybe, this thing has promise.

If not, Wii-Tvii is no more than another Netflix device.[/QUOTE]

Gotta agree with you there.

Tie it all together and you would probably have me sold.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Yeah, it is curious that they are sticking with SSDs, but it seems traditional that they go with the more expensive storage option.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has always been obsessive about performance in their hardware design. It's a large part of why they were so late in adopting optical media, and going with a smaller version of optical media when they did. (the GameCube's smaller discs allowed for much faster read speeds, and more reliable hardware spindles) This is likely an extension of that ethos. Hard drives are much more prone to failure and data corruption than solid state memory. They also have contribute significantly to the heat produced in the system. Solid state memory is more expensive, but has numerous advantages from a hardware perspective. It's likely that the WiiU will never suffer from the jet-engine sounds that the XBox360 and PS3 are prone to developing.

That said, I would be very interested to see what kind of external storage options are going to be available for the WiiU. Will it be able to accept SD cards the same way the Wii did? I would have to know how essential to the experience that extra memory would be before I opted to pick up the premium model.

Nintendo has definitely gone with some riskier pricing. It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Wii U pre-ordered @ Gamestoop

Since I was a PUR member, I only had to put down $25

Bayonetta 2 and MH3u did it for me.

Whoah with the surprise Monhan and DQX betas. Almost enough to push me to import this thing this holiday but I think I will go with pure software and then wait on the hardware until spring. Very satisfied with the JP lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']This feels apologetic. "For people who wish to spend more, it's easy! Just spend more to spend more!"

32GB would have been okay as a starting point. 8GB makes me have the sads for Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Not intended to be apologetic, I do in fact believe 8GB is fine on base devices, as it is on iOS devices. I think it sits on a fine line between being effective with their cost and the likely hood of most individuals actually DLing more than 8GB.

Nintendo provides not uncommon upgrade path to a larger size for more "hardcore" users. $50 more for 24GB more of flash storage is actually fairly competitive compared to other devices. Apple gets $100 for 8 to 16GB and other vendors charge a similar price for their tiered devices.

While there is a tone of just spend more for higher users, I dont know how that is really different for the other current systems. Either you pay more up front for a system with larger storage, or expand when you need it (assuming of course were arent talking about an iOS device, which in that case, you are stuck with what you bought).

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Anyone know of any Websites doing preorders yet?[/QUOTE]

Seems like only Gamestop in-store or online right now. I don't really want to give GS any money if i don't have to. Hopefully Amazon, and Best Buy will be up soon.

Wii U 32gb Deluxe - http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/consoles/nintendo-wii-u-32gb-deluxe-set/104794
Wii U 8gb Basic - http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/consoles/nintendo-wii-u-8gb-basic-set/104795

FYI - If you pre-order online, you don't have to put any money down. credit card is not billed until item ships.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw that Jeopardy is going to be in the launch window. If I can write my name as Turd Ferguson on the gamepad, you may have me Nintendo.....

bread's done
Back