WWF No Mercy, best wrestling game ever?

liquidsnake

CAGiversary!
i think so, i played the new day of reckoning and i still cannot find another wrestling game as good as no mercy

No Mercy still is one of the best. There are so many ways to attack. You can cause damage to limbs ot the point that the opponent limps or holds their arm. You can bust them open. There are more moves than most games. Top rop, inside ropes, outside rope, running towards the ropes, running towards the turnbuckles. It's just so deep. Plus, weight is a factor. If a guy is too big, your character will have difficulty lifting him. I'll keep this game for a long time.

Actually, there is a way to get rid of it. I know I got hit with it. All you do is initialize the cart itself. I did and I haven't had any problems since. At one point I played No Mercy every day for about 2 years straight. And outside of Fire Pro D, there isn't a better wrestling game available.

i would say yes....being able to go backstage and lotsa other cool shit. especailly if u can get a good deal on it....eb has some for $10 but im sure u can find it cheaper somewhere else

Yes, it is. Check Blockbuster, I got a second copy a few months back for $3. And despite the slight slowdown it's got a better roster and more moves.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']No Mercy still is one of the best. There are so many ways to attack. You can cause damage to limbs ot the point that the opponent limps or holds their arm. You can bust them open. There are more moves than most games. Top rop, inside ropes, outside rope, running towards the ropes, running towards the turnbuckles. It's just so deep. Plus, weight is a factor. If a guy is too big, your character will have difficulty lifting him. I'll keep this game for a long time.[/quote]

Actually the wieght detection was rather cheap, seeing after enough tries even taka could sklam Rikishi, at which point he would get a HUGE boast in momentum. Any time the story mode in NM caused me problems I would just edit the character's wieght :)

Still NM's one of the best, personally I give SD! HCTP the edge because it was alot more realistic (at least from a WWE point-of-view).

[quote name='Mafia']Actually, there is a way to get rid of it. I know I got hit with it. All you do is initialize the cart itself. I did and I haven't had any problems since. At one point I played No Mercy every day for about 2 years straight. And outside of Fire Pro D, there isn't a better wrestling game available.[/quote]

what does "initializing the cart" mean? and how do you do it? just in case i get it ;)

o yea, and im just waiting for guyver to get into this thread, lol :)

no mercy is the best wretling game ever lol nah but seriously i want to avoid that convo becaue it will never end,

but yea revenge,wm2000, and nm are great

[quote name='dcfox']Is No Mercy worth getting if you already have WM 2000?[/quote]

Yes, the roster is larger and there are more matches you can play.

Man, I probably dumped 50+ hrs into WM2000. I loved No Mercy, but all that slowdown during the triple threat and fatal four ways was frustrating as hell.

I'd say Fire Pro Wrestling D is the best, although No Mercy is outstanding as well. They're kind of apples and oranges, both wrestling games but totally different gameplay. And if you like No Mercy, check out Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (import) also for that system. It's like a deeper version of No Mercy.

My pick is Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, the Japanese game No Mercy is based on. I just like the customization options and move selection better. Giant Gram 2000 is also dope, with a great selection of wrestlers.

I used to play the hell out of No Mercy. When I was writing for gameinformer.com, I would do a Q&A every other day (the other day was SmackDown 2), answering questions and just writing about my experiences with the game long before it came out. That used to get mad traffic, and all these tiny sites would link to it, copy our text, etc. They'd even put over Helmut Von Strauss -- the character I made based on my real-life wrestling persona (I was pro wrestling on the side). Good times, noodle salad.

I still play No Mercy. Back when nomercyworld.com was still functioning, they had AWESOME codes. I have a huge code that puts barb wire on the ropes and if you irish whip them into the ropes, they get caught in it.. and sometimes bleed. It rules!

[quote name='janglypangly']Wrestlemania 2000 is my favorite.[/quote]

I used to have a blast with this one. Brings back a lot of memories.

I got this game used at GameStop for $4.99, like a year ago. Although it may be hard to find it there, since they no longer take games for the old systems.

Anyway, great game. I'm all down with the current Smackdown series - which is totally different, I know - but I do respect No Mercy. You could tell the developers really took pride in it.

My only real gripe is that some of the Career Mode matches are infuriating. I got stuck on this one where you can't move on until you beat the A.P.A. in a 2-on-1 match. I tried forever to beat that but I just couldn't, so I quit playing. :(

One thing most wrestling games have in common...their story/career modes suck ass. Lots of insane situations like 2 on 1 matches and even 3 on 1 matches. They put those in because the developers can't think of any other way to deliver a challenge to the player, and it's plain lazy. It's always been my gripe with wrestling games.

Anyhoo, I throw my hat in the Fire Pro Wrestling D ring. Just got it recently and I'm enjoying the more Japanese approach to pro wrestling.

Yeah in No Mercy they have it so that the storyline changes based on whether you win or lose... but ONLY in certain matches. The 2-on-1 was a match that you HAVE to win, which is complete and utter BS. I wish you could just take a loss, and lose some money or "superstar points" or whatever.

I have that Fire Pro 2 GBA game and it's cool. There are things I like and things I don't like about it. The Smackdown games could learn a few things from it. I hate how in SD, when two guys run into each other, they just stop like nothing happened. In Firepro, if it's long into the match and you run right into a guy, you'll both fall over and stay there for a while. Plus when things get really heated and you hit a big move and the crowd COUNTS ALONG WITH THE PIN... I friggin' love that!

Oh, and what's this about WWE possibly parting ways with THQ?! IGN had a thing about it today. That'll be interesting if someone else ends up with the license! Does EA now have a stranglehold on the AKI team or what?

the slowdown in NO Mercy kills it for me because if we play its normaly 4 player...but one on one it's still the best

[quote name='BustaUppa']Oh, and what's this about WWE possibly parting ways with THQ?! IGN had a thing about it today. That'll be interesting if someone else ends up with the license! Does EA now have a stranglehold on the AKI team or what?[/quote]

Yeah, now the WWE is involved in lawsuits with Jakks and THQ. This could have a significant impact on the new WrestleMania 21 Xbox game, and possibly even SmackDown! Vs RAW.

On the Jakks side... I wonder if some of my wrestling figures would go up in value if Jakks split with WWE. I think I have the first series of figures Jakks made for WWE... Hmm... Also, I found a bunch of old classic Hasbro WWF figures. Pretty cool. Good times...

Back to THQ... I wonder what would happen if WWE did sign with EA. I know that most people would be upset, thinking that the games would turn out like the atrocious WCW Mayhem, Backstage Assault, etc. However, didn't EA publish the Def Jam Vendetta games? And doesn't AKI do the engine? I thought the Def Jam games were pretty good, and it was great to go back to the classic World Tour/Revenge/2000/No Mercy engine. Maybe it would be a good change.

We'll see though... for all we know this lawsuit is just a minor hiccup that won't change things.

I didn't really like N64 back in the day, but I thought they had the best wrestling games. I think it was WCW Revenge, and WCW vs. NWO, probably my two wrestling games ever. Actually, the original Smackdown on ps1 was a good game too.

EDIT - nevermind, my favorite wrestling game was WWF Raw.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Yeah in No Mercy they have it so that the storyline changes based on whether you win or lose... but ONLY in certain matches. The 2-on-1 was a match that you HAVE to win, which is complete and utter BS. I wish you could just take a loss, and lose some money or "superstar points" or whatever.

I have that Fire Pro 2 GBA game and it's cool. There are things I like and things I don't like about it. The Smackdown games could learn a few things from it. I hate how in SD, when two guys run into each other, they just stop like nothing happened. In Firepro, if it's long into the match and you run right into a guy, you'll both fall over and stay there for a while. Plus when things get really heated and you hit a big move and the crowd COUNTS ALONG WITH THE PIN... I friggin' love that!

Oh, and what's this about WWE possibly parting ways with THQ?! IGN had a thing about it today. That'll be interesting if someone else ends up with the license! Does EA now have a stranglehold on the AKI team or what?[/quote]

Actually you could pay them off (if you have the money), if yoyu pay them off they won't jump you. Or you could just make both of them super heavy wieghts and just bodyslam the hell out of them.

BTW SD! HCTP has absoluetly no handicap matches that must be won. Hell you don't have to win ANY matches at all if you so choose.

The best game is WWF Raw for Genesis. First women in a wrestling game, though its Luna Vachon, and I doubt anyone likes her. But actualy the game isn't good that much.

Though me and brother used to play it all the time and what made it great was it's horrible clitches and they happend extremly often, ones like: Dissapear, be able to walk all around the screen, be in a grapple and magicly have you be in the ring yet still have grappling outside and be able to preform the move and more. Plus ons the note of the actual game and its rediculs special moves.

But seroutly yeah Wres2000 is great and No Mercy is just that knocked up a notch to the be posbily the greatest Wrestling game to date.

I miss NoMercyWorld.com. I have a gameshark and they had a TON of codes. I still have a code to wrap the rope in barb wires and the wrestlers actually get stuck against the ropes when you irish whip them into the ropes.

EDIT: There's a huge bug in Raw for Genesis/SNES. Knock out the ref enough times (three or four) to where he gives up and walks out of the match. If you knock him down again while he's outside of the ring, he'll walk up to the ringside steps and stay there.. if you pin the guy, nothing will happen since the ref is outside of the ring, and there's no 'release pin' button, so you would need to restart the game.

not exactly old school but sorta related...

to the fans of no mercy, how did you like the two def jam games? i'm not talking content wise (because a lot of people are swayed by the whole rapper thing), but the gameplay. it's not exactly the same, and feels a bit pit fighterish, but i dug both games very very much.

Holy crap, I posted about the barbed wire code twice. Man, I really love that code.. haha.

The first DJ was like NM.. the second was more brawling.. but I love both DJ games.

I will say Fire Pro Wrestling D is the best. It's got like a million things you can do in it. Plus the comunity it had/has is insane. You could make all the names in english and add user created moves on your wrestlers. And you could even make your own Ring.

But more people are familiar with the N64 wrestling games, and those are really good as well.

no mercy actually has close to the least amount of moves , virtual pro wrestling 2 (similar to 200) has TONES more moves than the others

LOL woops bumped 4 year old topic

for any1 complaining on slowdown, Ive noticed that different arenas can affect speed ever so slightly. The smackdown one seems to have the least amount of lag.

4 years later and people still like No Mercy!

My personal favorite WCW Revenge. Mainly because I enjoyed their characters a bit more. Even if they were a lot cheesier.

bread's done
Back