X-Men The Animated Series - Vols 1 & 2 Out Now / 3 & 4 Sept 15th

Swift900

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Hey guys, I've recently been looking to pick up a collection of the X-Men animated series that appeared on Fox back in the 90's. So far, this is all I can find...

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever ordered from these guys? If so, how is the quality?

At $79.99 that comes out to just a little over a dollar an episode. Not too bad IMO.

Original Cover Art:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/X-Men-Disney_V1_V2_Covers/11211

X-Men_V1_Disney.jpg

X-Men_V2_Disney.jpg

My only minor nit-picky complaints about the new artwork for Vol 2 is:

1. Jean Grey should be in her Phoenix outfit, not Dark Phoenix, since that 4-parter isn't on this set.

2. No episode with Nightcrawler is on this set, so why is he pictured?

Granted, these won't stop me from buying it :bouncy:

I pre-ordered both awhile ago and am waiting patiently for the day to arrive. I can't wait to see these in good quality.

I can't wait until the episodes after these. I had almost all of these episode on video and converted them to dvd long ago. Should be much better quality on these though.

[quote name='ashe_Darkthorne']Ok then "Fail" if that is the case then why do I have a friend who is coming down to visit bringing the entire season for me on DVD that he picked up from a comic shop in his home state?As usual someone tries to make themselves know all when in actuality they don't.I don't claim to know all but I know what I have coming.[/QUOTE]

I know what you have coming too, and it's REALLY good.

I've seen the first 23 episodes so far and it's really getting good.

It seems like often times an episode centers around one specific character which is kind of cool. The Cyclops episode has been my favorite so far (Breakdown)!

Does anyone know if there is a blu-ray release planned? I would hate to buy these just to see the BD released shortly after.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SoFreshSoDarryl']Does anyone know if there is a blu-ray release planned? I would hate to buy these just to see the BD released shortly after.[/quote]

While I can't speak for anything for sure, I really doubt they'll release this out on Blu. The sets for below 20 are a pretty good price for the DVD anyway and it'd likely be a lot more than that for the BD. The animation quality on this show is not the best in the first place as far as I remember. It'd be cool to see them make a move to release some more animation in Blu though.

[quote name='dg7md']While I can't speak for anything for sure, I really doubt they'll release this out on Blu. The sets for below 20 are a pretty good price for the DVD anyway and it'd likely be a lot more than that for the BD. The animation quality on this show is not the best in the first place as far as I remember. It'd be cool to see them make a move to release some more animation in Blu though.[/quote]

yeah I'm totally confused on someone asking for Bluray on animation that was way before even thinking of widescreen...

How will they make those pixels up without looking even worse?

Pre-ordered and pray that they finish the entire thing.

[quote name='soccerstud652']So we pay the price of a full season for about 1/5 of a season's episodes?[/quote]
i would pay 50 for each volume long as i get these on DVD

[quote name='soccerstud652']So we pay the price of a full season for about 1/5 of a season's episodes?[/quote]

Um...what? :whistle2:s Using Amazon's prices as a template, we're paying a grand total of roughly $40 for both volumes ($20 each) which equals 2 FULL seasons plus the first seven episodes of season 3

Are they in order? If so I'm grabingt them. I hate when they release things not in order because then I have to collect them. Save the episodes to my comp then burn them order. Pain in the ass. Just like the Ducktales DVD. Not in order. I hope they learn to do that shit in order.

They are in Order yes. The only thing thats different is that Volume 1 appears to have some Season 2 episodes on top of the Season 1 episodes while Volume 2 has some Season 3 episodes on top of the remainder of the Season 2 episodes.

[quote name='kube00']anyone else preorder them recently?[/QUOTE]

why?

I preordered the first time it was announced, back like almost 2 months ago.

I might switch it to the prime account though.... would be better to get them in 2 days than wait like week plus.

Is there a problem with pre-ordering now?

did you guys see the advertisement in the best buy ad?

both for $35

thats about the same as amazon other than tax

i guess it would be good if you wanted it right away and had some reward zone certs to plop down towards em

finally the wait is over for these!! yaaay!

Wow a whole 98 cents saved with that BB deal. If I do get them I think I'll go with Amazon, 30 bucks with free shipping and no tax (CA).

I'll try and get a link when I get home, kinda busy at the moment, but apparently the cover art for Volume 3 is out already. I'd reckon Volume 3 will be released when the Wolverine movie comes out on DVD.

I bite seeing as I had reward zone certificates and didn't know what to use it on till i saw this. I hope its aged well. I mean I was watching this when i was 10....

[quote name='flatliner718']I bite seeing as I had reward zone certificates and didn't know what to use it on till i saw this. I hope its aged well. I mean I was watching this when i was 10....[/quote]

yeah i was worried about that too, its aged pretty well compared to a lot of stuff, the 90s rocked haha

I just got mine in the mail from Amazon this morning. Awesome. Already watched the first two episodes. It is better than I remember it. The DVD itself isn't great though.

As far as the Amazon versus Best Buy debate, Amazon is the way to go especially in California where they just raised sales tax to 9.25. That fricken sucks.

[quote name='gdemander'] The DVD itself isn't great though.

[/quote]

What do you mean? It's gotta be better than those VHS rips out there with the stupid water marks and poor quality picture and audio.

Could you explain further? just curious

Two questions:

1. Is part 1 of "Night of the Sentinels" the ORIGINAL one with all the animation errors, or the cleaned up one? (hoping for the latter)

2. On "The Unstoppable Juggernaut," is the title correct on screen? When it first aired, someone failed basic spelling, and Cain Marko became the unstoppable "Juggernut" (this was later fixed).

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']What do you mean? It's gotta be better than those VHS rips out there with the stupid water marks and poor quality picture and audio.

Could you explain further? just curious[/quote]
it is better then the VHS but its not like remastered and awesome like the ghostbuster transfer.. its not even as good as the TMNT transfers.. it feels like they wanted to cash in from the wolverine movie so they slapped episodes on a disc and shipped

that is fine by me.. ive been waiting for LEGIT dvds.. i dont put bootleg shit in my collection

[quote name='styl3s']it is better then the VHS but its not like remastered and awesome like the ghostbuster transfer.. its not even as good as the TMNT transfers.. it feels like they wanted to cash in from the wolverine movie so they slapped episodes on a disc and shipped

that is fine by me.. ive been waiting for LEGIT dvds.. i dont put bootleg shit in my collection[/quote]

Exactly. The DVD menus are also really slow. After clicking menu, or play all, or anything like that there is a very long delay. There are also Disney previews on the disc, which is annoying.

I kind of dig the old school animation, but I haven't seen the ghostbuster or TMNT transfer so I may not know what good really looks like. It is still pretty bomb.

I did not notice poor animation on the Night of the Sentinel, so I am guessing that it is the corrected version.

Also, Juggernaut is spelled correctly so that was fixed.

[quote name='DT778']Wow a whole 98 cents saved with that BB deal. If I do get them I think I'll go with Amazon, 30 bucks with free shipping and no tax (CA).[/quote]

Thanks for the info on the amazon 2 for $30! Just ordered mine.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Thanks for the info on the amazon 2 for $30! Just ordered mine.[/QUOTE]

Where is this, exactly? They show up as $17.99 each for me.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Where is this, exactly? They show up as $17.99 each for me.[/quote]

Scroll down and it's under the heading Best Value and has a picture of both boxshots with a + sign between them. There's a little blurb about saving $5 when you add them together. You have to click that add to cart button.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Scroll down and it's under the heading Best Value and has a picture of both boxshots with a + sign between them. There's a little blurb about saving $5 when you add them together. You have to click that add to cart button.[/QUOTE]

Ah, so it's $30.98, okay. Hmm, tempting...

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Scroll down and it's under the heading Best Value and has a picture of both boxshots with a + sign between them. There's a little blurb about saving $5 when you add them together. You have to click that add to cart button.[/quote]

Awesome. So I pre-ordered them and because this 5 dollars off is a promotion they didn't want to price match it down to this new and current price. I had to argue with them stating that there would be no point in ever pre-ordering anything if they refused to honor the lower price on the day of release. They said they would then honor it as a "one time thing," which always bothers me. I argued more and finally made them agree that it would not be a one time thing because I the promotion came into effect the same day that the items were released, which is when they were supposed to ship, not two days early when they actually shipped. Pain in the butt, but I got my five dollars back.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the heads up on the 5 dollar off promotion.

[quote name='gdemander']Awesome. So I pre-ordered them and because this 5 dollars off is a promotion they didn't want to price match it down to this new and current price. I had to argue with them stating that there would be no point in ever pre-ordering anything if they refused to honor the lower price on the day of release. They said they would then honor it as a "one time thing," which always bothers me. I argued more and finally made them agree that it would not be a one time thing because I the promotion came into effect the same day that the items were released, which is when they were supposed to ship, not two days early when they actually shipped. Pain in the butt, but I got my five dollars back.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the heads up on the 5 dollar off promotion.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's a major dick move on Amazon's part...

ultimately makes me preorder less.

mine better come soon !

thx for the heads up on the $5 off when ordering together on amazon. i was one of the ones that pre ordered a long while back, but i just emailed 'em right now and told 'em they overcharged me by 5 bucks. let's see what happens...

EDIT: only took a few mins for 'em to reply back to me. they issued the $5 refund with no questions asked. should take 2-3 days for it to show up on my card.

thanks again for the heads up :) every little bit counts here @ cheapassgamer.com

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BelieveTheHype']thx for the heads up on the $5 off when ordering together on amazon. i was one of the ones that pre ordered a long while back, but i just emailed 'em right now and told 'em they overcharged me by 5 bucks. let's see what happens...

EDIT: only took a few mins for 'em to reply back to me. they issued the $5 refund with no questions asked. should take 2-3 days for it to show up on my card.

thanks again for the heads up :) every little bit counts here @ cheapassgamer.com[/quote]

Same, I used to use their price guarantee adjustment a bunch when they had it, so I gave this a shot -- hopefully it'll work out for me.

I reordered with my Prime account... I will get it by friday while the other one won't be here till Tuesday.

I'll just refuse the shipment and wait for the refund.

Yeah, too lazy to post the art design when I said I was, but like I said in the earlier post, I think it'll come out to coincide with the Wolverine DVD. This is good though, it should only take 4 Volumes to get everything out.

X-Men_V3_early.jpg

Looks good. I am glad they are releasing the series in a timely fashion (Unlike TMNT '87 series).

Are the episodes the original broadcasts or the edited syndication versions?

Now, all we need is 90's Spiderman and I am set.

[quote name='BelieveTheHype']thx for the heads up on the $5 off when ordering together on amazon. i was one of the ones that pre ordered a long while back, but i just emailed 'em right now and told 'em they overcharged me by 5 bucks. let's see what happens...

thanks again for the heads up :) every little bit counts here @ cheapassgamer.com[/quote]

Wow, it was that easy for you. I had to actually argue for them to make it happen. I guess I will try e-mailing them instead of calling next time. Weak sauce.

bread's done
Back