X-Men The Animated Series - Vols 1 & 2 Out Now / 3 & 4 Sept 15th

Swift900

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Hey guys, I've recently been looking to pick up a collection of the X-Men animated series that appeared on Fox back in the 90's. So far, this is all I can find...

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever ordered from these guys? If so, how is the quality?

At $79.99 that comes out to just a little over a dollar an episode. Not too bad IMO.

I picked up both at Best Buy for $7.50 each using $20 in reward zone certificates. Just the opening theme brings back so many memories. :D

[quote name='gdemander']Wow, it was that easy for you. I had to actually argue for them to make it happen. I guess I will try e-mailing them instead of calling next time. Weak sauce.[/quote]

yeah, but i wouldn't have taken that approach if it weren't for your post earlier. i would've done the same thing you did.

dude seriously, i want to have a tube crt type tv just to watch SD stuff like this

SD stuff sux on my sharp lcd and samsung plasma

wish they werent so dam heavy and huge

yeah, i agree. SD on an HD does not look pretty. Luckily though...my gf still has a tube. That's what we've been watching these on. As for a quick review...glad I bought 'em. Great show back in the day.

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']dude seriously, i want to have a tube crt type tv just to watch SD stuff like this

SD stuff sux on my sharp lcd and samsung plasma

wish they werent so dam heavy and huge[/quote]

I lot of people, including myself, believe that the picture quality from tube TVs is the best and most true to real life compared to the new flat panels. There was a 34" Sony HD tube TV that came out a few years back. The picture on that TV is still better than any flat panel I have ever seen. The display is quicker and the colors are more accurate.

People have been attempting to develop a flat panel tube TV, which would be about four inches thick. Tragically, it is still extremely heavy, which is why it has never reached production.

Until flat panels get close to CRTs, I am sticking with my old tube.

Heads up, BB has the hologram (not 3-d) slipcovers in stock now. Apparently, they did not receive the slipcovers in the first shipment. Just picked mine up, and they look great. This is a perfect set now!

Also, the episodes are UNCUT. The episodes are not the original airings, but cleaned up episodes that fixed graphical and animation errors. All content is still in the episodes, just cleaned up. These are the best cuts we could ask for.

img1098n.jpg

[quote name='bornrunnin31']:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

has anyone from amazon gotten those covers?[/QUOTE]

Nope, but holograms don't really matter to me either way... it's what's on the dvd.

From Amazon user "S.R.":

First of all, these episodes were NEVER 24 to 26 minutes long! Don't know where you're getting your info, but it is WRONG. The episodes on this set clock in at around 22 minutes each, which is correct. A handful of early episodes had incomplete animation that was only seen in the original airing and corrected by the original studio ever since, which is what are on these sets. For instance, the original airing of "Slave Island, Part 3" ended with the X-Men arriving at an intact X-Mansion instead of one demolished by Juggernaut. Due to animation delays/ problems with "The Unstoppable Juggernaut" episode (which was to follow chronologically), the ending was altered, since the Juggernaut episode would not be ready to air for several weeks. So "The Cure" and "Come The Apocalypse", which were ready to be aired, were shown first instead.

In fact, this series is one of the few that I would say having the original broadcast versions is not better. So many of those early episodes aired initially with incomplete special effects shots, coloring mistakes, dialogue sync errors, poor animation scenes, and so forth. They were eventually corrected in subsequent airings, but I've always feared that a studio releasing this series on DVD would give us the flawed original versions. Luckily, Disney seems to have done their homework with this one even though we were not treated to a full video/ audio restoration job. Further proof that these are not the syndicated versions - this set features the original voices of Storm and Sinister, which were re-dubbed by the replacement voice actors in reruns. BOTTOM LINE: Disney has given us the corrected versions of certain episodes that originally aired with animation errors and NOT the edited for time syndicated reruns.

Saw that soccerstud652... as long as they are the originally dubbed version from when I saw them back in the 90s, I'll be happy. Every now and then I watch this on Disney XD channel. Must buy these sometime next week.... Thankz anyways...

so far it's great... the opening ending music is a bit, redubbed?...

looks good playing it on my second screen while I surf/play.

So what are the odds of us getting a complete series set at the end here? I think I'd prefer to just wait it out. Which is pretty painful. I've been waiting for this show for years.

I believe as there were 77 episodes of the show, there will be 6 collections to it, so there will be four more, hopefully not too far apart from each other.

[quote name='brodieman590']So what are the odds of us getting a complete series set at the end here? I think I'd prefer to just wait it out. Which is pretty painful. I've been waiting for this show for years.[/quote]

If you want them to release the complete set out, NOT buying it isn't the best thing to do. I really doubt they're going to put these in a boxset-style collection, so if you want all episodes you're just going to need to support it and buy them how they are. They did really great with this set in terms of cleaning up all the many errors in this show, and not like these sets are expensive as they are.

[quote name='dg7md']If you want them to release the complete set out, NOT buying it isn't the best thing to do. I really doubt they're going to put these in a boxset-style collection, so if you want all episodes you're just going to need to support it and buy them how they are. They did really great with this set in terms of cleaning up all the many errors in this show, and not like these sets are expensive as they are.[/quote]

This is what I was going to say. The Gargoyles DVD sets are a good example of a great show that might never see all of its seasons released because not enough people were buying the sets that came out. Give in to the X-Men, buy now!

[quote name='GizmoGC']FYI - Both of these releases have slip covers.[/quote]

Not from my shipment that arrived yesterday from Amazon - those bastards!

[quote name='IvanHood']This is what I was going to say. The Gargoyles DVD sets are a good example of a great show that might never see all of its seasons released because not enough people were buying the sets that came out. Give in to the X-Men, buy now![/quote]
I just checked walmart for these, and it was the only DVD in the store that was completely sold out, and not just one volume, both were completely sold out. I'm taking that as a good sign.

[quote name='Gden']I believe as there were 77 episodes of the show, there will be 6 collections to it, so there will be four more, hopefully not too far apart from each other.[/QUOTE]

huh?
volumes 1 and 2 cover 33 episodes alone

there will probably be 2 more volumes. 3 at most.

4 more is pushing it.... 2 disk sets with only 11 episodes? that's retarded

I'm so mad that in Nov. 2003 I paid a comic store that had a booth at Wizard World Texas $150 for a bootleg set of this series that ended up having about 1/3 of the episodes be bad files on the disks.

Yippieeeeeeee!

Amazon here I come!

On their flyer for that, they said that expectations of sales went past by 150-170%, which is awesome!

Yee-haw!!

Great to see more of the series on DVD, though I'm tempted to believe that there may be one more DVD volume...

Can't wait for Vol. 4 though, since Beyond Good and Evil is probably the best arc of the series (though the series goes downhill from the beginning....).

Unfortunate what the case with Gargoyles is, hopefully that will be finished.

For those waiting, X-men is unlikely to have a complete series set - just look at other Disney cartoon releases as an example. Even their regular TV shows (Alias being one of the few). Lost may have a complete series set because of the rabid fan base, but then again, those rabid fans probably already have the series bought, so who knows....

By the way, Vol. 3's art is probably the best, though coloring is off. Can't really beat animated series' version of Apocalypse, and combined with the Dark Phoenix, best yet.

Vol. 4's art, while well done, seems rather bland/different from the rest (no X-men in the center?). Granted, squishing all the X-men in the center is rather bland, too....

[quote name='thespyderboy']By the way, Vol. 3's art is probably the best, though coloring is off. Can't really beat animated series' version of Apocalypse, and combined with the Dark Phoenix, best yet.

Vol. 4's art, while well done, seems rather bland/different from the rest (no X-men in the center?). Granted, squishing all the X-men in the center is rather bland, too....[/QUOTE]

Isn't v 4 a homage to the opening sequence? Like the last few seconds before XMEN pops up....

that's what I took that for.

I can't remember, but did the animated series get a proper ending?

[quote name='xycury']Isn't v 4 a homage to the opening sequence? Like the last few seconds before XMEN pops up....

I can't remember, but did the animated series get a proper ending?[/QUOTE]

For all intents and purposes, it did, but it could have been better. For the time being, just having an ending was amazing for a cartoon, so it was a good note to go out on. I won't spoil anything for you, but it was a fairly decent/nice ending (contrary to what I just said).

Also, you're right that the cover is a bit of an homage.

[quote name='xycury']Isn't v 4 a homage to the opening sequence? Like the last few seconds before XMEN pops up....

I can't remember, but did the animated series get a proper ending?[/QUOTE]The original intended ending for the show was the "Beyond Good and Evil" arc but Fox ordered more episodes last minute and changed animation studios. I remember when they first aired the last episode it was part of some weird "Fox Kids Mystery Box" where they were either going to show the last X-men episode, an episode of Beetlejuice the animated series, or some other cartoon I don't recall at the moment. Luckily they ended up showing X-men or else they would've gotten an angry letter from a really pissed off 10 year old.

My question is, are they going to have "No Mutant is an Island" (the so-called "lost" episode) as part of season 5 as it was broadcast, or are they going to have it right after part 5 of the Phoenix Saga where it was intended to go? Basically will it be the first episode on Vol. 3?

I'll definitely finish up the collection with these and like others have stated, I want the Spider-Man series from the same time as well. Make it happen!

bread's done
Back