XBL Deals|7/4 Only- Witcher2, OrangeBox, More | 7/5 Only-Hitman:Absolution $10, More | ME3: Omega | BL2 DLC (Gold) | FREE Defense Grid (Gold) | MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerh1701

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the USA. This includes the Deal of the Week, KINECT Central sale item(s), and any other 3rd-party sales or promotions. We have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases in the 2nd post. Most sales are for one week. Feel free to post if you see anything not listed here.

Please note:

• All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. Major Nelson usually updates us with new sales information every other Tuesday. When offers are validated by Moderators, it will be added to the OP as time permits.
  • ALL OFFERS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! No information within this thread can or should be construed as accurate (or still valid), therefore ...
  • Always verify Xbox Live Marketplace prices before your purchase!
  • Some sales are intended for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY, as noted within each section.
  • Spend wisely, have fun, and enjoy!

7/2 - 7/8 ... Borderlands DLC

7/9 - 7/15 ... Dishonored and Metal Gear Rising DLC and More

• Dishonored Games on Demand - Price Unknown
    DLC - The Knife of Dunwall - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Dunwall City Trials - 200 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Void Walkers Arsenal - 160 MSP (50% off)

[*]Metal Gear Rising Revengeance DLC
  • Jetstream - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • Raiden Custom Body - 80 MSP (50% off)
  • Bladewolf  - 320 MSP (43% off)

[*]XBLA - Battle: Los Angeles - 400 MSP (50% off)

• Confirmed as future free games: Halo 3

Sales & Specials: Open to Everyone!
NOTE ... if the start & end dates are not well-defined, ACT FAST! since these
"sales" could end anytime. However, they may also be permanent markdowns.

Ultimate Game One Day Sales:

7/2 ... Day One:

7/3 ... Day Two:

7/4 ... Day Three:

7/5 ... Day Four: (will last through 7/7)

7/2 - 7/8 ... Ultimate Games Persistent Sales:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Kinect Central sales

7/2 - ??? ... Unannounced Rocksmith DLC Markdowns

7/2 - ??? ... Other Unannounced Markdowns

7/2 - 7/8 ... Robocop and Fast and Furious Avatar Sale

• Please check the avatar store on your Xbox 360 for more information

7/9 - 7/15 ... Just Dance 4

• Price and content unknown

Monthly Marketplace Markdowns
Announced ... as confirmed on the Xbox 360's own dashboard, or corroborated from other sources (PSN, dev/pub, etc).

Unannounced ... from Xbox.com scrapes. *These may or may not be permanent, so judge accordingly.

Unannounced Price Drops for July:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bardockkun']You know, finally playing Limbo after it was on sale as the loser prize in the scratch and win thing I gotta say...I fucking hate this game. It's just not very rewarding, nor do I feel a sense of pride when I complete a specific spot. It's just "ugh, done with this shit now I gotta get over this other part so I can say I finished this game." Just nothing pulls me in and so many deaths just feel frustrating as opposed to me learning something. Games like Super Meat Boy I can say at least have plenty of charm to make up for it...this game, nope. Nothing.[/QUOTE]

You didn't learn anything from Limbo? It's basically a trial and error game, after you die you figure out how you died and how to not die again. To me, learning was the whole point of Limbo.

[quote name='blinknot4']As for this sale... I am finally going to buy The Orange Box. I have never played through Half Life 2. Once the sale goes live, I am in...[/QUOTE]

May possibly need to engage a flameshield here, but I bought the Orange Box in 2009 and tried playing Half-Life 2 for the first time. I didn't feel like it held up very well. The gameplay was fairly shallow to me and man did I get bored while playing it.

I hope you enjoy it, but keep in mind the core game is over 8 years old at this point. It's not going to feel revolutionary.

[quote name='tylerh1701']

May possibly need to engage a flameshield here, but I bought the Orange Box in 2009 and tried playing Half-Life 2 for the first time. I didn't feel like it held up very well. The gameplay was fairly shallow to me and man did I get bored while playing it.

I hope you enjoy it, but keep in mind the core game is over 8 years old at this point. It's not going to feel revolutionary.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean. I bought The Orange Box years ago, played through Portal, and threw it aside. Half-Life 2 was okay, I just didn't enjoy it. This past summer when I had a little free time, I finally forced myself to finish them on Xbox. I had a surprisingly great time, and it's amazing how well they hold up. (Especially Episode 2, as that one is only four years old). I recommend people try them, definitely if it goes on sale for $10. Also, wow is that last battle in HL2: E2 difficult.

I have to say The Orange Box is one of the few games where I feel the achievements enhanced the gameplay. There's one for playing through Ravenholm using only the gravity gun, makes for a really creepy level. The level's not hard at all if you shotgun through all of it, but it's really fun killing the headcrabs using only stuff you find lying around (kind of reminded me of Dead Space). Overall though, I feel the Half Life games are more about telling the story and less about gameplay, even though the gameplay's usually pretty advanced (when they came out). The Orange Box has always been a "good value" game anyway. Obviously Portal is great, but Team Fortress 2 still has a pretty dedicated Xbox community as well.

[quote name='hufferstl']iRandom - Thanks for doing all that work .

And OP - please change thread title to "Limbo - what are your personal thoughts"[/QUOTE]
It's not in the OP, thus it's alright and no one gets upset.

As for the other thoughts of the game, I think the biggest problem I have is the game doesn't really motivate me. I'm personally pushing myself to beat it because I'm almost done, but man I don't give a shit about the black and white world or anything going on. Nothing really stands out as much as things just frustrate me in it.

I got a Kickstarter update on what's going on with Pinball Arcade for Xbox 360 for those here that are wondering:
Due to the bankruptcy of our Xbox 360 publisher last year, we are temporarily unable to release new tables on that platform. We are currently seeking bankruptcy court approval to transfer the game to a different publisher, and we will release Star Trek: The Next Generation on the Xbox 360 as soon as that happens.
Doesn't sound too good to me for those that are waiting on this to be sorted out.

[quote name='bardockkun']It's not in the OP, thus it's alright and no one gets upset.

As for the other thoughts of the game, I think the biggest problem I have is the game doesn't really motivate me. I'm personally pushing myself to beat it because I'm almost done, but man I don't give a shit about the black and white world or anything going on. Nothing really stands out as much as things just frustrate me in it.[/QUOTE]

As I mentioned to someone when they first asked, Limbo is one of these art/atmosphere/experience them once type of games. These games thrill critics and certain gamers and are just plain tedious to those that don't like the art or style at all.

The problem with a lot of game writer's is that they have become jaded to their hobby because it's now their profession. And they save a lot of their good feelings for games that break the mold. Regardless of how those of us that pay the money to keep the business afloat might vote with our dollars.

So they tend to forget a lot of people like me want the same things they have been getting from games since the first time I typed Load "*", 8 ,1. I want to have fun. And sometimes artsy trial and error games aren't all that fun.

As for the coming sale, I just want a fighting game cheap so I can have it on my hard drive anytime I want a fix. Would prefer Skullgirls but will take one of the offerings on tap.

[quote name='bardockkun']It's not in the OP, thus it's alright and no one gets upset.

As for the other thoughts of the game, I think the biggest problem I have is the game doesn't really motivate me. I'm personally pushing myself to beat it because I'm almost done, but man I don't give a shit about the black and white world or anything going on. Nothing really stands out as much as things just frustrate me in it.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC8qMkX3hDI

:)

[quote name='biledriver']So they tend to forget a lot of people like me want the same things they have been getting from games since the first time I typed Load "*", 8 ,1. I want to have fun. And sometimes artsy trial and error games aren't all that fun.[/QUOTE]
A C64 fan who doesn't like trial-and-error platformers? Weird. You probably despised Infocom games, too.

[quote name='simmias']A C64 fan who doesn't like trial-and-error platformers? Weird. You probably despised Infocom games, too.[/QUOTE]

I'm only 37 so I was young then and text/graphic adventures were very frustrating. My fondest memories of those games were playing them with others like my dad, uncle and cousin all together. So there were ideas getting thrown out that I as a kid would have never thought of.

These days though, gaming is built much more solitary with internet(aside from the Wii) and anyone can see how that's frustrating or would simply lead you to gamefaqs for a quick, lifeless solution to your frustration.

[quote name='trent82']That guy really sucks at games.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bardockkun']To be fair, when I die I just heavily sigh. Suffice to say I sigh alot in the game, but something over 3 hours into the game and almost done so I can at least say I'm better then that guy.[/QUOTE]

It's the guy who does the Rage Quit series on RT so he's kind of being over the top on purpose but you get the point :lol:.

SFxT will be a good pickup if its < $15, the 2013 version has really redeemed it

[quote name='Dieidiotscum']I have to say The Orange Box is one of the few games where I feel the achievements enhanced the gameplay. There's one for playing through Ravenholm using only the gravity gun, makes for a really creepy level. The level's not hard at all if you shotgun through all of it, but it's really fun killing the headcrabs using only stuff you find lying around (kind of reminded me of Dead Space). Overall though, I feel the Half Life games are more about telling the story and less about gameplay, even though the gameplay's usually pretty advanced (when they came out). The Orange Box has always been a "good value" game anyway. Obviously Portal is great, but Team Fortress 2 still has a pretty dedicated Xbox community as well.[/QUOTE]

Orange Box was the first game I played when I got my 360. I remember one achievement (It was either Half-Life 2 or EP1, EP2 where you had to carry a garden gnome from practically the beginning of the game to the end.

I don't think I've ran into a more hilarious achievement yet.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I got a Kickstarter update on what's going on with Pinball Arcade for Xbox 360 for those here that are wondering:

Doesn't sound too good to me for those that are waiting on this to be sorted out.[/QUOTE]

Sucks to hear this. I ended up breaking down & get the Pinball Arcade for ps3 since they have had all the newest tables ported over and didn't want to wait out this mess.

[quote name='biledriver']As I mentioned to someone when they first asked, Limbo is one of these art/atmosphere/experience them once type of games. These games thrill critics and certain gamers and are just plain tedious to those that don't like the art or style at all.

The problem with a lot of game writer's is that they have become jaded to their hobby because it's now their profession. And they save a lot of their good feelings for games that break the mold. Regardless of how those of us that pay the money to keep the business afloat might vote with our dollars.

So they tend to forget a lot of people like me want the same things they have been getting from games since the first time I typed Load "*", 8 ,1. I want to have fun. And sometimes artsy trial and error games aren't all that fun.

As for the coming sale, I just want a fighting game cheap so I can have it on my hard drive anytime I want a fix. Would prefer Skullgirls but will take one of the offerings on tap.[/QUOTE]

I think Limbo has enough quality gameplay, it's not just about the experience. I'd never compare Limbo to any of thatgamecompany's games. Limbo was at least challenging and fun to figure out the puzzles. I'd agree that there's not a lot of replayability in it, but there really aren't a ton of XBLA games that are begging to be replayed over and over.

[quote name='Komentra']Orange Box was the first game I played when I got my 360. I remember one achievement (It was either Half-Life 2 or EP1, EP2 where you had to carry a garden gnome from practically the beginning of the game to the end.

I don't think I've ran into a more hilarious achievement yet.[/QUOTE]

I was working on that very achievement, and about halfway through it, when some scumbag broke into my house and stole my Xbox and all my games a couple of years ago. Missing that cheevo has been bugging me quite a bit, so Orange Box is probably the highlight of this sale for me, no matter what it's priced at. Looking forward to attempting that one again.

[quote name='tylerh1701'] but there really aren't a ton of XBLA games that are begging to be replayed over and over.[/QUOTE]

I read this a lot and I wonder where you are coming from? Pinball? Puzzle games? Score based games? Platformers? Torchlight or other diablo clones?

All those styles of games are built for replayability, collecting or score improvement. Designed to be picked up and played when you don't have a main game you are laying at the moment. Then there are brawlers and other multiplayer classic arcade style games built to be played over and over when your friends are around.

In my opinion the whole focus of the arcade from the beginning was bite sized replayable games. A game like limbo is much more like a scaled down retail release and while that has been happening more and more these days, it is definitely not reflective of the xbla as a whole.

Games like minecraft, trials hd and castle crashers are always on top and are built on replaying them.

[quote name='biledriver']I read this a lot and I wonder where you are coming from? Pinball? Puzzle games? Score based games? Platformers? Torchlight or other diablo clones?

All those styles of games are built for replayability, collecting or score improvement. Designed to be picked up and played when you don't have a main game you are laying at the moment. Then there are brawlers and other multiplayer classic arcade style games built to be played over and over when your friends are around.

In my opinion the whole focus of the arcade from the beginning was bite sized replayable games. A game like limbo is much more like a scaled down retail release and while that has been happening more and more these days, it is definitely not reflective of the xbla as a whole.

Games like minecraft, trials hd and castle crashers are always on top and are built on replaying them.[/QUOTE]

You make a good point, maybe I'm not giving XBLA games enough credit. But if you consider puzzle games and platformers to be replayable, then how come you don't think Limbo has any replayability? It does have collectibles, though not a ton.

I'd compare Limbo to games like Braid, PB Winterbottom, Lazy Raiders, Fez, Cloning Clyde, World Gone Sour, Blade Kitten, etc. when it comes to replayability. All feature one good playthrough and a voluntary second playthrough if you want to grab all the collectibles and achievements. It's a textbook puzzle-platformer in my book.

[quote name='bardockkun']

With all due respect, absolutely no one cares what you think about Limbo.

It's time to move on with your life.

[quote name='gordojones88']With all due respect, absolutely no one cares what you think about Limbo.

It's time to move on with your life.[/QUOTE]
Are you saying that as an excuse so I can say I just beat the game and will play something else now?

limbo is beautiful in every way

those that knock it for not being "re playable" make me laugh, most $60 games don't even have replay value let alone cheap arcade games

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I got a Kickstarter update on what's going on with Pinball Arcade for Xbox 360 for those here that are wondering:

Doesn't sound too good to me for those that are waiting on this to be sorted out.[/QUOTE]
Apparently they're very close to getting creditor consent and court approval. Kind of a no-brainer for the creditors to let them move the game to the new publisher.

So who is taking delight and who is taking disappointment on the big GoD sale tomorrow?

I am taking delight because I need a win from MS right now.

Limbo - good game, for what it is, which isn't for everyone. Very artistic with trail and error physics platforming. Short but sweet.

The Orange Box - Flippin fantastic deal, comes with Half-Life 2, Episodes 1-2, Portal and Team Fortress 2. Half-Life 2 alone was/is awesome, one of the best games I've ever played (PC). One of the highest rated games, ever. This is known.

[quote name='simmias']Apparently they're very close to getting creditor consent and court approval. Kind of a no-brainer for the creditors to let them move the game to the new publisher.[/QUOTE]
There's still the matter of finding a new publisher, working out the details of the deal on their end and Microsoft's end, and then getting the content through the submission/approval process. It'll still be a while even once that happens.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There's still the matter of finding a new publisher...[/QUOTE] IIRC, FarSight claimed to have found a new publisher back in December. Did something change?

[quote name='WV Matsui']Halo 3 and Reach are up at 800 MSP[/QUOTE]

I was just going to type that here.
Anyways, Halo 4 also just went up, although it's only 33% off at 3200MSP.

Not gonna lie, these deals are fairly good (so far) and better than what I expected.

Liked Limbo. First black and white game I ever played. Fascinating.

To answer Cancerman's question, delight. This gives me a reason to renew my Gold account.

I played the demo to Halo Reach and liked it. Are all the Halo games good or is there a black sheep in the series? Why do you suppose Halo 1 and 2 are absent from the list?

[quote name='Cage017']Liked Limbo. First black and white game I ever played. Fascinating.

To answer Cancerman's question, delight. This gives me a reason to renew my Gold account.

I played the demo to Halo Reach and liked it. Are all the Halo games good or is there a black sheep in the series? Why do you suppose Halo 1 and 2 are absent from the list?[/QUOTE]

Halo ODST is the closest to a black sheep, since it was an expansion pack. I like the series quite a bit, and I believe Halo Reach is the best "modern" Halo (made in this generation).

Halo 1 & 2 are absent because they are original Xbox games- and only Halo 1 is on Xbox Live for download. Halo 2 is still unfortunately around only in disc form.

[quote name='xbox_man']For games that are on Games on Demand, have any gone under $9.95 when there are these sales on?[/QUOTE]

There was one sale a few months back where many games were priced at 400MSP ($5)

[quote name='xbox_man']For games that are on Games on Demand, have any gone under $9.95 when there are these sales on?[/QUOTE]
Last year a stack of bargain bin quality games got $5'd in this sale, the halo prices aren't as good as those were, 3 should be $5 regularly, reach i guess that's an ok price but for 4 eh, they could make it real cheap and people would still buy map packs and they'd make lots of money that way but typical meh price on that, i hope dirt hits $5 its one of the oldest games there but the list kinda sucks, why is 1/3 of it call of duty? why not skate, wwe all stars, or other random games that cost way too much from those same companies...

yeah there were a bunch of older games that went down to 5 bucks soon after E3 last year.

[quote name='gordojones88']With all due respect, absolutely no one cares what you think about Limbo.

I care about Bardock-kun's opinion. It's not the popular opinion, but at least he's expressing it earnestly and intelligently. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cage017']Liked Limbo. First black and white game I ever played. Fascinating.

I played the demo to Halo Reach and liked it. Are all the Halo games good or is there a black sheep in the series? Why do you suppose Halo 1 and 2 are absent from the list?[/QUOTE]

Well, Halo 2 was never released as a Game on Demand, I believe. From what I see, I think they're not putting any original Xbox games on sale.

Looks like MGS HD only dropped to $25. According to the list is normally $30?

Edit: Nevermind it looks like it is always $25

But Max Payne says $30 but it says $40 right now.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Looks like MGS HD only dropped to $25. According to the list is normally $30?[/QUOTE]
$30 on amazon and $25 used on Bestbuy and GS

[quote name='Cage017']

I never did like ODST (felt it was way too expensive for what it brought to the table). Other than that, I've personally enjoyed all the Halo's, with Reach (I know I know) being my favourite.

As for Halo 2, it's not even on Games on Demand for some reason and Halo CE:A, I don't think is on there either.

[quote name='Masters_93']
As for Halo 2, it's not even on Games on Demand for some reason and Halo CE:A, I don't think is on there either.[/QUOTE]

Halo 2 has not been remade to an xbox 360 game, so that is why it is not there.

[quote name='eastx']I care about Bardok-kun's opinion. It's not the popular opinion, but at least he's expressing it earnestly and intelligently. :p[/QUOTE]
Aw shucks...

And I got about 30GB's left on my HDD, I can only hope this GoD sale doesn't go insane with 400MS point games.

[quote name='Blade3D']Halo wars on sale?[/QUOTE]
So far still $29.99. Though I know some games are going on sale on different days as well so it may not be first batch.

[quote name='bardockkun']So far still $29.99. Though I know some games are going on sale on different days as well so it may not be first batch.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm maybe there will be a strategy day or something.

heh, I hope I'm not the only one who will immediately recall this post if/when you gripe about some game that everyone else here praises. Remember kids, if you're not with us, well... screw you!

As for Half-Life 2: No flameshield necessary Tyler, but I find it upsetting that HL2 didn't tickle your fancy. I'm sure it wouldn't wow me now the way it did back in 2004, but I've never played another shooter franchise that has the compelling blend of atmosphere, tension, and variety that HL2 and especially its prequel did. And yeah, I did like Xen.

No sale prices live yet for RE games. I ain't patient dammit!

[quote name='bardockkun']
And I got about 30GB's left on my HDD, I can only hope this GoD sale doesn't go insane with 400MS point games.[/QUOTE]

It is a good thing we can buy and download later, thats what I will be doing as I am in a similar spot as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back