XBL Deals: Horror'ific Games on Demand (Gold) | SHOCKTOBER Sale (All) | FREE Gold Games: 10/16 Halo 3 | Forza Horizon 50% Off | COMMUNITY EVENT | MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyTastic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
413 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the USA. This includes the Deal of the Week, KINECT Central sale item(s), and any other 3rd-party sales or promotions. We have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases in the 2nd post. Most sales are for one week. Feel free to post if you see anything not listed here.

Please note:

• You cannot currently buy anything on xbox.com using your account balance, you can only use an active credit card or Paypal. To use your balance, you must make purchases on your console.
  • All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. Major Nelson usually updates us with new sales information every other Tuesday. When offers are validated by Moderators, it will be added to the OP as time permits.
  • ALL OFFERS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! No information within this thread can or should be construed as accurate (or still valid), therefore ...
  • Always verify Xbox Live Marketplace prices before your purchase!
  • Some sales are intended for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY, as noted within each section.
  • Spend wisely, have fun, and enjoy!

10/29 - 11/4 ... Horror'ific Games on Demand

[*]Games on Demand - Dead Island - Gold Price: $9.99 - 50% off - xbldb ... this is NOT the GOTY edition.
[*]Games on Demand - Prey - Gold Price: $4.99 - 75% off - xbldb
[*]Games on Demand - The Darkness - Gold Price: $4.99 - 75% off - xbldb
[*]Games on Demand - The Darkness II - Gold Price: $7.49 - 75% off - xbldb

Free Games:

Sales related to the Free Games:

10/22 - 11/4 ... Spooky XBLA & Games on Demand:

Extended Sales:

Weekly Rocksmith DLC Markdowns:
Week of 10/15 - 10/21 ...

Week of 10/22 - 11/4 ...

• ???

Announced Price Drops for October:

• ???
Unannounced Price Drops for October:

Other Unannounced Markdowns:

Last edited by a moderator:
My XBox Live Gold is fixing to expire.

So far, I think there is only 1 or 2 of the Gaming With Gold titles that I did not have already (including Nov).

The gold only sales have repeated themselves, or are such ho-hum stuff / marginal price drops that I have not bought anything on it in months.

The apps they offer, I can get on my TV or Bluray player.

All this, and the new ToS/ToU/EULA or whatever they are calling it today, contradicting what they were saying about them not collecting data to share with 3rd parties. (I know those companies already have that info, but it is just about MS, or anyone doing it. What is next?)

I am finding it VERY hard to justify renewing my Gold.

Let's face it.

This whole last year has been a colossal cluster !#(% by MS, their marketing, and their PR.

They used to be such an innovative powerhouse, a pioneer in the industry.

But, now they are quickly on their way to being both the joke and the punchline.

My XBox Live Gold is fixing to expire.

So far, I think there is only 1 or 2 of the Gaming With Gold titles that I did not have already (including Nov).

The gold only sales have repeated themselves, or are such ho-hum stuff / marginal price drops that I have not bought anything on it in months.

The apps they offer, I can get on my TV or Bluray player.

All this, and the new ToS/ToU/EULA or whatever they are calling it today, contradicting what they were saying about them not collecting data to share with 3rd parties. (I know those companies already have that info, but it is just about MS, or anyone doing it. What is next?)

I am finding it VERY hard to justify renewing my Gold.

Let's face it.

This whole last year has been a colossal cluster !#(% by MS, their marketing, and their PR.

They used to be such an innovative powerhouse, a pioneer in the industry.

But, now they are quickly on their way to being both the joke and the punchline.
You getting a Xbox One? LOL

The Keflings game was okay, (think child-friendly Starcraft with avatars and a kingdom); but it has jack for replayability.
I really liked Keflings. It's a fun game to play in bursts/just as a wind-down.

I have yet to complete it so I don't know about replayability.

But do you know what Iron Brigade is? I've never heard of it and I'm too lazy to look it up.

I really liked Keflings. It's a fun game to play in bursts/just as a wind-down.

I have yet to complete it so I don't know about replayability.

But do you know what Iron Brigade is? I've never heard of it and I'm too lazy to look it up.
It's a tower defense where you get to ride around in a mech. You can customize it with all different types of weapons. I think it has 4 player co-op. It's really fun and have no idea why I didn't play it more.

Keflings doesn't have much replayability. in my opinion. It does have at least one avatar item that is nice (Dragon).

I'm quite happy with the two new GWG games .  They're not A-List titles but they're free, and I will play both.

Once again the "I already bought everything" legion misses the point of GWG entirely.  If you already buy everything, MS doesn't NEED to entice you to spend $$$.  The goal of GWG is to get people to buy DLC and also prequels/sequels where applicable.  GWG is not a "reward" to you for spending money on every title you see.

I spent all day today wondering what the GWG games might be and fearing the worst (and that it was why they were waiting to announce it).  Appears those fears were unjustified.

To be truthful, a lot of the retail games I'm seeing people complain that they wished were GWG are games I'd be far more disappointed in compared to these.

I really do wish they'd drop the theme sales.  If you don't like a theme/genre, you tend to be screwed entirely for that week.

Really tiring of the "My Gold Is Expiring..." stories.  Good for you.  You don't like gaming and can't appreciate anything, we get it.  I don't understand the thought process that goes through someone's head that they are going to stop using XBL, and so they go into an XBox thread to talk about it and then are shocked... SHOCKED, I tell you.... when said XBox thread does not 100% agree with them and bow down to their words of wisdom.

I think Nintendo is a dumb company that makes dumb consoles and dumb games for dumb gamers who can't stop playing the same 4 games over and over again.  I suppose I should go post in the Nintendo thread about it.  I'm *sure* everyone there will agree with me and value my opinion, and see the error of their ways!  I will be a hero, nay a GOD.  I will be worshipped for my wisdom, and I shall be spoken of for generations as the single most important voice in a pool of white noise!!!  Is that not how the internet works?!?!  Is that not what you came for?!??!  Are you not entertained?!?!?

And now for your scary Halloween bedtime story:  the NSA went in and messed with all your preorders while trying to break in the preorders DB's for data.  All of them.  XBox One, PS4...  the NSA cared not for either side.  The release dates are now going to be pushed back until at least next spring (or later), and many users will just have to preorder AGAIN and may lose their previous spots in the queue.

But I see you trembling there, your chin quivering and your eyes welling up.  Your mouse hand balling into a fist.

Relax, it's just a story.

Or is it?

Happy Halloween!!!
JInMjVo.gif
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvdVXxFkY4[/youtube]

damn you look so dorky in that video ;)

It's a tower defense where you get to ride around in a mech. You can customize it with all different types of weapons. I think it has 4 player co-op. It's really fun and have no idea why I didn't play it more.
So it's like Toy Soldiers but you get to move around? Sounds pretty cool.

[quote name="Primis" post="11181557" timestamp="1383276431"]
I'm quite happy with the two new GWG games . They're not A-List titles but they're free, and I will play both.

Once again the "I already bought everything" legion misses the point of GWG entirely. If you already buy everything, MS doesn't NEED to entice you to spend $$$. The goal of GWG is to get people to buy DLC and also prequels/sequels where applicable. GWG is not a "reward" to you for spending money on every title you see.

I spent all day today wondering what the GWG games might be and fearing the worst (and that it was why they were waiting to announce it). Appears those fears were unjustified.

To be truthful, a lot of the retail games I'm seeing people complain that they wished were GWG are games I'd be far more disappointed in compared to these.

I really do wish they'd drop the theme sales. If you don't like a theme/genre, you tend to be screwed entirely for that week.

Really tiring of the "My Gold Is Expiring..." stories. Good for you. You don't like gaming and can't appreciate anything, we get it. I don't understand the thought process that goes through someone's head that they are going to stop using XBL, and so they go into an XBox thread to talk about it and then are shocked... SHOCKED, I tell you.... when said XBox thread does not 100% agree with them and bow down to their words of wisdom.

I think Nintendo is a dumb company that makes dumb consoles and dumb games for dumb gamers who can't stop playing the same 4 games over and over again. I suppose I should go post in the Nintendo thread about it. I'm *sure* everyone there will agree with me and value my opinion, and see the error of their ways! I will be a hero, nay a GOD. I will be worshipped for my wisdom, and I shall be spoken of for generations as the single most important voice in a pool of white noise!!! Is that not how the internet works?!?! Is that not what you came for?!??! Are you not entertained?!?!?

And now for your scary Halloween bedtime story: the NSA went in and messed with all your preorders while trying to break in the preorders DB's for data. All of them. XBox One, PS4... the NSA cared not for either side. The release dates are now going to be pushed back until at least next spring (or later), and many users will just have to preorder AGAIN and may lose their previous spots in the queue.

But I see you trembling there, your chin quivering and your eyes welling up. Your mouse hand balling into a fist.

Relax, it's just a story.

Or is it?[/quote]

Hello, pot.
This is a black kettle.

"I" do not expect everyone to agree with me.
While "I" respect "your" opinion, I enjoy gaming.
I want to keep gaming for many years.
I even want to keep XBL Gold.
I just have issues with some of the decisions that MS has made recently.

I came here to simply express those concerns and possibly get some insight and input from views that I may not have seen. A different way to look at what is bothering me.

Yet instead, this was the result.
Looks like I am not the only one who needs to take a different look at what is bothering me.

I know it's free but these games with gold sucks! I guess Microsoft is on a mission to make PSN's rentals look like gold.

It's like Microsoft suddenly decided to do their best to help Sony destroy the XBOX. They started with the announcement of the cablebox DRMbox XBOX 180 XBOXOne. Now they want to help Sony's PSN rental and give away games no one wants. I don't know why they think anyone would like these god awful games that deserve to be buried with all those E.T. games in the desert, or games so old even Nintendo won't rehash them, and Nintendo loves rehashing everything.

What's next? As a thank you, Microsoft is going to give long time XBOX fans dirt from the parking lot and XBOX fans can't complain because it's free from Microsoft just like the free games with gold.

Okay I feel better now...

WTF is a Kefling? :whistle2:k ?

[quote name="RoMee" post="11181733" timestamp="1383280521"]
I know it's free but these games with gold sucks! I guess Microsoft is on a mission to make PSN's rentals look like gold.
It's like Microsoft suddenly decided to do their best to help Sony destroy the XBOX. They started with the announcement of the cablebox DRMbox XBOX 180 XBOXOne. Now they want to help Sony's PSN rental and give away games no one wants. I guess they expect people to like these god awful games that deserve to be buried with all those E.T. games in the desert, or games so old even Nintendo won't rehash them.

What's next? Microsoft is going to give XBOX fans dirt from the parking lot and XBOX fans can't complain because it's free from Microsoft just like the free games with gold.

Okay I feel better now...
WTF is a Kefling? :whistle2:k ?
[/quote]
I do not think they suck.
I think they are awesome, or I would not already have them.
Iron Brigade was a surprisingly awesome different take on tower defense.

While yes, they may not be of the same caliber as PSN has been doing, they are new at this part of the business model.
Life, and everything in it, is a learning process.

And as a former E.T. cartridge owner, that was pretty harsh. LOL

BTW....
A Kefling is an odd speaking group that love to do your bidding. LOL

To be fair you are someone I see complaining about sales very often, especially in the previous thread during the weeks leading up to and right after the summer of arcade. Literally 2-3 weeks after we had sales on several GoD and new xbla titles (Blood Dragon and Gunslinger) you were complaining about Microsoft's sales repeatedly.

To be fair, lol. First off, I have complained about MS sales maybe 4-5 times, in my entire history of being on this forum. I hardly think that is excessive, especially given how how bad MS sales have been over the last few years. If I complained every time MS had a bad sale, the number would easily be 40-50 times that number. And one or two titles (blood dragon and gunslinger) doesn't suddenly make up for all the piss poor sales that MS has had. Its about being consistent, not about releasing a quality title or two every 3-4 months. MS doesn't suddenly get a pass for 3 straight months simply because they FINALLY put a few decent titles on sale.

I don't know what your expectations are but mine are very simple, I expect MS to be competitive in this marketplace, end of story. That is an all encompassing statement which includes everything (features, pricing, sales, exclusives, etc..). In regards to the XBox 360, MS has been very competitive in regards to features and pricing, but they have failed miserably in the other 2 departments. They recently announced they were investing a billion dollars into exclusives so they appear to be addressing the lack of exclusives issue. The games for gold program, while being a complete and utter failure imo, at least shows that they are attempting to compete with Sony's Free to Play service (even tho MS denies that the games for gold was in response to that program, yeah right!). Then we have the sales, which appeared to be getting much better earlier in the year but suddenly dropped back down to crappy status. That may be ok with some of you, but its not ok with me. I don't expect stellar sales every week but I do expect significantly better sales than what we have seen the last 6 months. I am the last person on this forum to ever praise Sony (I am still pissed about Sony bricking my $1000 Blu Ray player), but they are kicking MS's a*s in this department. MS surpassed 46 million members on XBox Live back in April, which means they are pulling in at least 1.3-1.6 Billion per year just from XBox Live Gold memberships alone!! That is more than Sony makes with its entire company yet somehow Sony manages to have vastly better sales week after week. I don't think its unrealistic to expect MS to reach into those massive coffers and provide better sales for its members.

I purchased an XBox at launch, an XBox 360 at launch and I have 2 XBox One's preordered. I have been a gold member of Xbox Live Gold literally since day 1 on the original XBox. On top of that, I own over 250 retail XBox titles and over 400 retail Xbox 360 titles. Not to mention the 100-150 games I have purchased on Xbox Live Arcade. I have purchased 6 used games in total (Xbox & Xbox 360). The rest were all purchased new from retail stores. I also currently have 8 launch games pre ordered for Xbox One. In other words, I don't think its possible for me to put any more support into MS's XBox line. I have spent significant amounts of money over the last 12 years on Xbox products. So I have as much right as anyone, in regards to calling MS out on their crappy sales. Again, any member in here is more than welcome to put me on ignore if they are sick of reading any of my posts. I have no problem with that whatsoever!

Damn halo wars is a game that would have made me get gold again but not for those two shitty arcade games.

I purchased an XBox at launch, an XBox 360 at launch and I have 2 XBox One's preordered. I have been a gold member of Xbox Live Gold literally since day 1 on the original XBox. On top of that, I own over 250 retail XBox titles and over 400 retail Xbox 360 titles. Not to mention the 100-150 games I have purchased on Xbox Live Arcade. I have purchased 6 used games in total (Xbox & Xbox 360). The rest were all purchased new from retail stores. I also currently have 8 launch games pre ordered for Xbox One. In other words, I don't think its possible for me to put any more support into MS's XBox line. I have spent significant amounts of money over the last 12 years on Xbox products. So I have as much right as anyone, in regards to calling MS out on their crappy sales.
Really think about what you're saying.

You've blindly pre-ordered TWO new consoles. You blindly ordered 8 pre-launch titles for them. You claim to own hundreds and hundreds of games, probably far too many of which you paid full retail for.

Why would MS have any interest at all in getting LESS of your money? You've already thrown plenty of money around and proven you're willing and able to do so. So from MS's perspective, just keep spending away. They'd prefer that.

Once again, the whole: "OMG I spend tonz of moneyz, I have more case than anyone!" argument doesn't hold up or make any sense at all. MS isn't TRYING to get your money, they're getting it anyways or already have gotten it. They're trying to get the money of people who WON'T buy otherwise. Sales are not Rewards programs. Games With Gold is not a Rewards Program. They are marketing tools to try to encourage sales where there might not otherwise be any.

Damn halo wars is a game that would have made me get gold again but not for those two shitty arcade games.
I think you are missing the point of GWG.

They still haven't changed the price of Halo 3, so if you haven't gotten it there is still time.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Halo-3/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307e6?DownloadType=Game#LiveZone
A few people at WPC said they could see that it was free, but it wouldn't let them download it anymore. They got an error message.

Get free mediocre games when you pay for gold. I got it.
What do you want Triple A Games on Demand Games? The games they've been putting out for free aren't bad. I enjoyed most of them, and instead of judging by it's cover why not try it out instead of complaining?

I'm not sure what exactly Sony gives for the PSN games to developers, I recall reading awhile back anywhere from to $1-$4 per title.  Even that sounds generous when you consider PSN only costs $50 a year. My guess is maybe even under a dollar per title per download considering how many titles PS+ offers, unless Sony is really taking a loss on PSN+

So MS is probably working the same way. So you figure in order for MS to get higher tier titles either A) The company has to be willing to lose a lot of money or B) The company is agreeing to it because the games aren't selling or C) It's owned by MS so they don't really lose anything, IE Halo 3. I'm sure Dead Rising wasn't selling at all so Capcom probably agreed to the $1-$2 per download. So if MS is charging $60 a year (because I'm sure a majority of the people who pay for Live outside of CAG pay full MSRP) I severely doubt they are willing to spend more then $20 a year per user for the content. You have to figure Xbox Live gold has really helped MS in terms of profit, and Sony pretty much didn't have a choice this gen if they wanted to be in the black, especially losing supposedly $50+ per console this PS4 launch.

When the PS4/XB1 is out I don't see Sony offering as many titles on PSN+. I also expect MS to resort to first/second party as much as possible, or indie games as I'd imagine we are looking at 25-50 cents per title, so this program doesn't cost them much.

Personally I'l take anything for free. Once the XB1 is out I don't see myself going back to the 360 outside of backlog, games with gold, and Dark Souls 2+ Lords of Shadow 2.

I'm not sure what exactly Sony gives for the PSN games to developers, I recall reading awhile back anywhere from to $1-$4 per title. Even that sounds generous when you consider PSN only costs $50 a year. My guess is maybe even under a dollar per title per download considering how many titles PS+ offers, unless Sony is really taking a loss on PSN+

So MS is probably working the same way. So you figure in order for MS to get higher tier titles either A) The company has to be willing to lose a lot of money or B) The company is agreeing to it because the games aren't selling or C) It's owned by MS so they don't really lose anything, IE Halo 3. I'm sure Dead Rising wasn't selling at all so Capcom probably agreed to the $1-$2 per download. So if MS is charging $60 a year (because I'm sure a majority of the people who pay for Live outside of CAG pay full MSRP) I severely doubt they are willing to spend more then $20 a year per user for the content. You have to figure Xbox Live gold has really helped MS in terms of profit, and Sony pretty much didn't have a choice this gen if they wanted to be in the black, especially losing supposedly $50+ per console this PS4 launch.

When the PS4/XB1 is out I don't see Sony offering as many titles on PSN+. I also expect MS to resort to first/second party as much as possible, or indie games as I'd imagine we are looking at 25-50 cents per title, so this program doesn't cost them much.

Personally I'l take anything for free. Once the XB1 is out I don't see myself going back to the 360 outside of backlog, games with gold, and Dark Souls 2+ Lords of Shadow 2.
To be fair you don't own any of the games that Sony gives away. Once your PSN+ runs out those games are gone. So basically you're renting games from PSN

To be fair you don't own any of the games that Sony gives away. Once your PSN+ runs out those games are gone. So basically you're renting gamse from PSN
True. But the developers may see it differently, I don't know. I don't hear the "Well you don't own the game." argument a lot. It usually just comes down to "Well PSN has better games. The games MS offers are old and suck.".

I'm just trying to show things from a different standpoint. People have to realize these games are costing MS money to offer and It's most likely per title or a set dollar amount. So offering old arcade titles or cheap arcade titles is costing MS a lot less.

I fully expect Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo and other first party titles to be offered in the long run since it doesn't cost MS any money in that sense. Only lost money that some crazy person was willing to pay $15 for a digital copy of Perfect Dark Zero.

How much is it really costing MS though? You already mentioned the 60 dollars for Live, but there are also ads all over the dashboard. I'm sure MS is getting paid nicely for those ads.

How much is it really costing MS though? You already mentioned the 60 dollars for Live, but there are also ads all over the dashboard. I'm sure MS is getting paid nicely for those ads.
The ads would be a different revenue source. He's strictly talking about how much Xbox Live Gold brings in and how much the Games with Gold promo costs to run.

If you wanted to compare it to what Sony and Microsoft's full financials look like, Microsoft should be giving us gold plated games and Sony shouldn't be giving out anything. At this point they should probably consider taking up begging on the street corners.

If every GWG is valued at an average of $5, they would be giving out $120 worth of games for $40-60 (price of one year of gold). However there is much more to be considered than that. How much does MS make from selling a game? How much goes to devs? If they wasn't free, would people still by them? How much are they making from DLC sales from GWG?

I'm guessing they are making some profit, otherwise they would not have continued it into next year. I'm happy with free games. If they are ones I already own, then I'm happy that I'll have a bunch of friends to play with in that game now.

EDIT: I miss Blockbuster having that $10 a month for unlimited game rentals. That beat PS+ and GWG easily.

EDIT2: I'm surprised to read that people don't want to play Keflings. From what I've heard, Attack on Titan is really popular. That manga was based off Keflings. Without Keflings it wouldn't even exist.

Did you mean to say it averages to $2.50/game? $60 year/24 games = $2.50; and since we're on CAG, it prob is even less since when does a CAG pay full price for anything, with the exception of some limited editions. This is also assuming you only went Gold for the GwG promo.

I wonder how many PS Plus members are out there that aren't aware they will lose all the free PS+ games once PS3 isn't supported anymore. Sure, it'll still be a few years away but think about the horror on their faces. 

Edit - Sorry, I misunderstood what you wrote. I think it has probably been $10/game so far but I get what you mean now.

Keflings is decent, but Iron Brigade is their best freebie so far, IMO. Anyone complaining how "terrible" it is should have Gold revoked entirely.

Though like everything else so far, I own 'em. So much for hoarding cheap games.

If every GWG is valued at an average of $5, they would be giving out $120 worth of games for $40-60 (price of one year of gold). However there is much more to be considered than that. How much does MS make from selling a game? How much goes to devs? If they wasn't free, would people still by them? How much are they making from DLC sales from GWG?

I'm guessing they are making some profit, otherwise they would not have continued it into next year. I'm happy with free games. If they are ones I already own, then I'm happy that I'll have a bunch of friends to play with in that game now.

EDIT: I miss Blockbuster having that $10 a month for unlimited game rentals. That beat PS+ and GWG easily.

EDIT2: I'm surprised to read that people don't want to play Keflings. From what I've heard, Attack on Titan is really popular. That manga was based off Keflings. Without Keflings it wouldn't even exist.
More than likely they just take a percentage of the revenue they earn from Gold subscriptions and assign a team to negotiate with publishers to get games for the GwG promo. For example, the team is given $4M for the year to get 24 Games with Gold on board. So they can split that however they want. They may have taken $200,000 and gone to Ubisoft and said "We'll give you this lump sum if you'll make Rainbow Six Vegas free to all our Gold members for 15 days". This probably sounds pretty good to Ubisoft, because except for the occasional digital download of the game, they're not seeing any revenue for Rainbox Six anymore. Other benefits include getting the name of their game out there for a couple weeks, as well as stimulating interest in any sequels or similar games they also may offer.

I highly doubt MS is making any sort of profit on the GwG promo, but they extended it to try and make their digital subscription model as similar to Sony's as possible. On the next generation, both programs are required for online play and both offer free games.

I think you are missing the point of GWG.
Ugh, this is silly. Clearly YOU are missing the point. If it can be used at all as a way to actually bring in new people than why wouldn't you? Things like good DOTW sales and the Game with Gold could definitely bring in the type of people that don't get gold because they hate multiplayer or simply play for free on PS3. Why would you think the business model would be anything but that? You honestly think it's just supposed to be a free gift for all you people that would pay for gold anyway and that's business??

Reading up on all the hatred on Major Nelson's site for these two games, it's interesting that the overall response to the free games is extremely similar to the response that Sony has been getting for their PS+ games for the last 18 months.  By in large, people LOVE getting digital versions of retail releases and people still seems to have some type of unusual discrimination against downloadable titles.  The exact same phenomenon occurs virtually every month when PS+ announced their games. For example, one of the most lauded games from the GwG program is Halo 3, which can easily be had at Gamestop for $5.  Now go check out the comments on Major Nelson's announcement of this month's games to see how much hatred there is for these 2 downloadable titles.  

The perceived value of retail released games is way higher than the perceived value of the digital-only games, even when the actual values of the games are fairly similar.  Biledriver mentioned he gets more enjoyment out of almost any retail title over almost any digital title, and while I couldn't possibly disagree with him more, maybe that is how a large segment of the gaming universe feels.  My only other thought is just that maybe most gamers haven't accepted download-only games as a part of the gaming universe.  There must be a lot of people out there who think that if it doesn't come on a disc and cost $60, it's not really a game.

Most of them say you don't technically own the digital game, even the GwG games. Because when they pull the plug, If the game isn't on your hard drive you can never retrieve it. But that's topic for another thread.

My view on these two new GwG games is jaded.

"Dang I already own those"

"Hey! Now I can play with my friends!"

And finally,

"I can breathe easier for a little longer, while I 100% some more games and free up more hard drive space"

I've been painstakingly going through all my games and mentally noting, which ones take the least amount of time to 100%\how large the file size is. Currently working on the walking dead, then either deadlight or dead rising case zero. I should have 10-15gb's freed up by te next GwG releases, unless there's another truly awesome sale, but I have a feeling they'll wait for New Years or perhaps the XbOne release.

Reading up on all the hatred on Major Nelson's site for these two games, it's interesting that the overall response to the free games is extremely similar to the response that Sony has been getting for their PS+ games for the last 18 months. By in large, people LOVE getting digital versions of retail releases and people still seems to have some type of unusual discrimination against downloadable titles. The exact same phenomenon occurs virtually every month when PS+ announced their games. For example, one of the most lauded games from the GwG program is Halo 3, which can easily be had at Gamestop for $5. Now go check out the comments on Major Nelson's announcement of this month's games to see how much hatred there is for these 2 downloadable titles.

The perceived value of retail released games is way higher than the perceived value of the digital-only games, even when the actual values of the games are fairly similar. Biledriver mentioned he gets more enjoyment out of almost any retail title over almost any digital title, and while I couldn't possibly disagree with him more, maybe that is how a large segment of the gaming universe feels. My only other thought is just that maybe most gamers haven't accepted download-only games as a part of the gaming universe. There must be a lot of people out there who think that if it doesn't come on a disc and cost $60, it's not really a game.
I am sure you are right about this. I don't have a lot of friends who play video games, but this does very much seem to apply to my two friends who do.

One is a hardcore PS3 guy who plays all the major retail new releases, everything from Heavy Rain to Batman to MGR to The Last of Us. He even has smaller games like Enslaved in his collection. He has never even heard of Limbo, Fez, Spelunky, etc. and told me that he has never played an indie or downloadable game.

The other has every system and plays more games than anyone I know in real life. He has a gamerscore of 90,000+ and he has never played a downloadable game. One time I brought up all the downloadable games I was playing and he just sort of made a face, like I was talking about buying a house in a bad neighborhood. I got him to sit down and play Mark of the Ninja for a few minutes and he said it was pretty cool, but I don't think he ever went back to it.

I am sure you are right about this. I don't have a lot of friends who play video games, but this does very much seem to apply to my two friends who do.

One is a hardcore PS3 guy who plays all the major retail new releases, everything from Heavy Rain to Batman to MGR to The Last of Us. He even has smaller games like Enslaved in his collection. He has never even heard of Limbo, Fez, Spelunky, etc. and told me that he has never played an indie or downloadable game.

The other has every system and plays more games than anyone I know in real life. He has a gamerscore of 90,000+ and he has never played a downloadable game. One time I brought up all the downloadable games I was playing and he just sort of made a face, like I was talking about buying a house in a bad neighborhood. I got him to sit down and play Mark of the Ninja for a few minutes and he said it was pretty cool, but I don't think he ever went back to it.
I'm the same. Of my friends that I'd call "dedicated" gamers, one of them is a total "bro" gamer (CoD/Madden/NCAA), two are semi-bro with a little variety thrown in, and one mostly just plays Western RPGs like Mass Effect and Fallout. None of them would ever bother to seek out downloadable titles and will generally just scoff when I mention a cool new downloadable titles. And yet when they're at my house they love playing TNT Racers (of all games) which has a rather enjoyable local multiplayer experience.

Ugh, this is silly. Clearly YOU are missing the point. If it can be used at all as a way to actually bring in new people than why wouldn't you? Things like good DOTW sales and the Game with Gold could definitely bring in the type of people that don't get gold because they hate multiplayer or simply play for free on PS3. Why would you think the business model would be anything but that? You honestly think it's just supposed to be a free gift for all you people that would pay for gold anyway and that's business??
If you only get gold to get one specific game free, then you're doing it wrong. Why not just buy the game for cheaper elsewhere? Having free games is a nice selling point, but shouldn't be the only reason to get gold.

To be fair you don't own any of the games that Sony gives away. Once your PSN+ runs out those games are gone. So basically you're renting games from PSN
This is the most absurd comment on this topic and I am amazed at how often I see it, especially now that PS4 requires PS Plus for online gaming and other features. Do you honestly expect them to have this program and give you a tradeable version of a game? Here you go, take this download and trade it to your local game store for $10! Even better, keep it for 100 years and cherish it as a family heirloom on whatever storage medium exists then and play it on the PlayStation 15!

This is the most absurd comment on this topic and I am amazed at how often I see it, especially now that PS4 requires PS Plus for online gaming and other features. Do you honestly expect them to have this program and give you a tradeable version of a game? Here you go, take this download and trade it to your local game store for $10! Even better, keep it for 100 years and cherish it as a family heirloom on whatever storage medium exists then and play it on the PlayStation 15!
You're really reaching on that one.

Huh? Actually with PS+ being required for online play it puts the service more in line with Xbox Live. So just like Xbox Live, there will be those that don't pay for the premium service. When that happens they lose those games, unlike Xbox Live where the users still have the free games. So in essence it is like renting with PS+, albeit on a more "permanent" basis, whereas you're actually getting free games with Xbox Live. That said, PS+ "gives away" better/more recent games and more of them. It's a win/win either way for both services if someone is paying for the premium level.

You're really reaching on that one.

Gotta agree. Reaching. Psn does require you to have a plus account to keep said games. Even if you don't buy a ps4 or care about playing MP on ps4, you don't keep it unless you're their "gold".

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back