XBL DotW & Sales 2012 | 5/1 BF3 DLC (DotW) | More

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This includes the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you see anything not listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. If some information on here is wrong or missing please shoot me a PM so I can adjust the OP!

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

[quote name='reddjoey']This thread is growing a bit too big so we need a new one.

Please move the DOTW discussion here.
[/QUOTE]

GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
48 Hours Gold trials and free Gold weekends won't get you the sale price.

5/1 - Battlefield 3

DLC:
-Back to Karkland - 600 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic (83)

5/8 - Tom Clancy's Sale

DLC:

Endwar
-Escalation Expansion Pack - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
-Chapter 2 - 300 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

GRAW 2
-Co-op Collection - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look
-Co-op Collection 2 - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Splinter Cell Conviction
-Deniable Ops: Insurgency - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

H.A.W.X.
-Air Supremacy - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

H.A.W.X. 2
-All in One Pack - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Games on Demand:
-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - 600 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

-Splinter Cell Conviction Co-op Outfit (Male/Female) - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb

Family Gold Pack Deal:

5/1 - Nin2-Jump

XBLA:
-Nin2-Jump - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off -xbldb - Metacritic (??) - Quick Look

Misc Sales:

Xbox Sales & Specials Page

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tylerh1701']I'm getting Crimson Alliance (still debating single pack or 3-pack). Already got Shank, Swarm, NBA Jam, and LC:GoL. Not interested in any of the DLC.[/QUOTE]

I got crimson alliance w just one character then bought the dlc for the same amount that i would have spent on getting all the characters.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Would be nice, but the first 2 they offered both kind of sucked. And both times the winner was just DLC.[/QUOTE]

They did do a poll that Pac-Man CE DX rightfully won. Even my brother (who never buys XBLA games) bought Pac-Man CE DX that week. Oh what a glorious week!

[quote name='Chrono Gear']They did do a poll that Pac-Man CE DX rightfully won. Even my brother (who never buys XBLA games) bought Pac-Man CE DX that week. Oh what a glorious week![/QUOTE]

That's right, that one was actually good. I totally forgot about it. They must have done 3, because I seem to remember BFBC2 and ME2 both winning separate ones.

[quote name='cancerman1120']

Not right now
Swarm (Its is only $5 but I was not really into it)
.[/QUOTE]

Good call. I thought the demo was okay and got it in a PSN sale. The rest of the game is pretty unplayable -- it has awful, awful controls and is zero fun. Man, I wish I had that $5 - $6 back because I'll NEVER play it again.

Probably the only reason to get the Crimson Alliance all characters pack is if you plan on playing couch co-op with people... Unless you plan on playing thru the game multiple times. I think it also has online multiplayer co-op so if you plan on playing it that way probably just pick which character you want and you can play thru online with other people.

[quote name='Daemonocracy']I've never been a Tomb Raider fan so I ignored Guardian of Light all this time but finally checked out the demo that has been sitting on my hard drive for over a year and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't know if I'll jump on this sale because I have a backlog of retail and XBLA games piling up, but I can see myself picking this up in a future sale.

I'm wondering when Rush'N Atack: Expatriot will go on sale, it's been out for almost a year now and didn't get the best scores. If Konami discounts that game to 400 I'll definitely pick it up because I enjoyed the demo.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the process of "discovering" Guardian of Light in co-op, experiencing the game for the first time alongside someone else opposed to having someone else who has played through guide the other who may be dragging the other down. We did try to attain as many of those goals, including the speedy run through in co-op as well. I only tried playing the game single player for a bit, and found doing the puzzle-platforming alone with a singular character possessing both "powers" to be just standard fare. The combat in the game is also just twin-stick shooter fare, so to me, the standout feature Guardian of Light offers is co-op puzzle-platforming. The downfall, is that the game doesn't allow for the two players to truly split up, so even online it constrains the view to include both players in frame. The game is not difficult, and it doesn't eat much of your time, so it could be decent in-between game when one is going through a backlog.

Rush N' Attack: Ex-patriot, I think Konami may have just ignored it being not a game many players focus on, and the Live team may not rush to send Konami a "we think you should have this game as part of our promotion!" e-mail. However, they do surprise me every now and then.

[quote name='100xp']you'd think they'd have more request a deal polls on XBL...or even a more personalized one.[/QUOTE]

I remember that is how I got Perfect Dark HD (I could be wrong on this one, bad memory) and Pac Man: Championship Edition DX. However, I also remember a few more polls which were lists of the most common offerings. The latter type I remember the possible choices would consist of titles like: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 DLC, L4D DLC (all but the one that never goes on sale), Mass Effect 2 (the crummiest ones) DLC, and probably an XBLA title you already own like Risk Factions but they're probably over that so they may offer D&D: Daggerdale as the final option these days ^^.

[quote name='GUNNM']I'm close to giving up as well and just going for the 5% back[/QUOTE]

The fine print of that reward does not explicitly say Games on Demand are part of the offer. I recall it explicitly saying avatar parts, DLC, and XBLA titles. Yet the title of the offer does say "marketplace purchases" which could include indie titles and Games on Demand, but I will not take that chance. I will continue to wait on Deathsmiles 2X and Crysis. I purchased a 3-month PS+ card to get RE4 & RE:CV on PSN (or whatever the acronym is now) where they offered the two downloaded titles at 50% off and that in essence more than paid off for the 3-month card, and everything else was bonus for the remaining weeks. I had hoped there would be a matching deal out on Xbox Live but it may take more waiting.

[quote name='glennfrank']I loved castle crashers - and so did my girlfriend - she played it through a few (6?) more times with different characters[/QUOTE]

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum and do not like Castle Crashers. As a warning, from this point on, there will be distilled hate. I had originally purchased the game due to the praise, sale price, and enjoyment I had playing the game along with a few my friends (on a friend's system). I tried the game for a bit on my own and then I realize it was not the quality of the game for fun, but rather the quality of friends where the fun was derrived from. I can have fun with my friends, in a diner, at a social event, just hanging out, or just playing any other game. The game was actually very poor mechanically despite referencing and being inspired from other top titles of the same genre, it is a shame Castle Crashers gained nothing from the knowledge of the titles it tried to take aspects from (games like River City Ransom, Double Dragon, Guardian Heroes, etc.) and learned nothing to actually make a good game in the same genre. I can continue with all the mechanical reasons I find the game poor, but upon typing and backspacing through, it was quite wordy, so I will reserve that for conversation on Xbox Live or private message. I know it is a cop out, but the gist was "significance of attacks", "stage flow not designed for multiplayer starting out", "hit areas and vulnerability for players and some enemies not-consistent nor fair-ish", and "relyance on memories of good games to add to its own quality." On the plus side, it could be good for kids who laughs a lot at toilet humor (one deer sprays poo out, an owl craps itself in fear then falls into it, etc.), and you need to keep them busy.

I apologize for the haterade, but it's always a a fun topic of discussion. I understand that I do have an odd sensibility for games which is quite uncommon. If on the small chance others may have something similar to my odd taste in games, maybe I have warned against using this game for the 5% reward, besides, the game does often see its own sale on Xbox Live if one wants to evaluate for themselves.

Also, since I did say I couldn't remember when Crystal Defenders was ever on sale (and I quick looked on xbldb) couldn't tell me. Thanks for reminding me it was once on sale before. At least I am now assured there may have been a chance that's how I got the game, because I couldn't remember how/when I got it to begin with.

[quote name='Decker']Good call. I thought the demo was okay and got it in a PSN sale. The rest of the game is pretty unplayable -- it has awful, awful controls and is zero fun. Man, I wish I had that $5 - $6 back because I'll NEVER play it again.[/QUOTE]

Respectfully but fully disagree. :)

[quote name='Crono-00']Castle Crashers Hate[/QUOTE]

I found Castle Crashers pretty boring and generic, so you're not the only one who didn't really like it.

tired of waiting for resident evil 4, i actually spent a minute or two on the "confirm purchase" button before finally deciding to wait a little longer

i think maybe it will be on sale when operation raccoon city is released next month

heck i'm not even sure if it's worth a purchase for me since i have the gamecube version

[quote name='Barry Burton']tired of waiting for resident evil 4, i actually spent a minute or two on the "confirm purchase" button before finally deciding to wait a little longer

i think maybe it will be on sale when operation raccoon city is released next month

heck i'm not even sure if it's worth a purchase for me since i have the gamecube version[/QUOTE]

+1. Same with CVX.

[quote name='Barry Burton']
heck i'm not even sure if it's worth a purchase for me since i have the gamecube version[/QUOTE]
nope but it has achievements =D

neither resident evil game or crysis are worth the $20 (1600 msp) purchase. I was bored months ago, had so many points and nothing to do so I bought both RE games and can't recommend anyone to buy them for full price. Not even nice graphics..

RE 4 is a really amazing game and well worth $20 for anyone who has never played it before.

That being said, those who haven't played it can easily get a physical copy for much less for PS2, Wii, or GameCube.

Those who have played it, this version doesn't really justify its $20 price point, since it's a re-buy for them.

I second that RE4 is a great buy for $20, provided you don't already own it on another console. And Achievements are nice. Reviewed it for Co-Optimus a while back.

[quote name='tylerh1701']
I found Castle Crashers pretty boring and generic, so you're not the only one who didn't really like it.[/QUOTE]

Generic? It's anything but generic. Castle Crashers has more personality than just about any beat-em-up, and most games in general. It's packed with tons of content, beautiful artwork, a robust character building system, and more... It's easily one of the best, if not the very best, of its genre. Playing it for 5 minutes and then writing it off is just no good, Tyler Mane. Of course, I also disagree with just about all of Crono's criticisms, so maybe you guys played a different game.

I bought RE4 the day it was released...and I already owned the GC version and still own the PS2 version. One of the best games ever...period. Worth $20 anyday of the week...

[quote name='eastx']Generic? It's anything but generic. Castle Crashers has more personality than just about any beat-em-up, and most games in general. It's packed with tons of content, beautiful artwork, a robust character building system, and more... It's easily one of the best, if not the very best, of its genre. Playing it for 5 minutes and then writing it off is just no good, Tyler Mane. Of course, I also disagree with just about all of Crono's criticisms, so maybe you guys played a different game.[/QUOTE]

To me a good brawler has quite a bit of feel to it. In older games in the genre, the hits a player character dealt I think should be "meaty", significant such that it affects those hit by the attacks. A solid hit could interrupt an action and put the enemy into hitstun. Think of the God of War games or Streets of Rage (Bare Knuckle) games where the enemy knows they've been hit. I find Castle Crashers closer to World of Warcraft like in combat: where two enemies meet up and have a dance-off and numbers fly out for approval ("you got served"). I know one can use ice to put enemies in a frozen state or do the twirl for a juggle (even that is more like telling the enemy to translate up). Or one can just level up significantly such that when you hit an enemy, they just disappear due to the magnitude of number in Castle Crashers. I don't find Castle Crashers feels right to me for a brawler.

Hitting enemies feels artificial to me because the player character's attacks seem like they only work if you are on the exact pixel plane, not on pixel above or below (with exception to bosses' bellies). Even in old brawlers, like River City Ransom an enemy can be diagonally in front of you and still be hit if your attack overlaps the enemy's character sprite. To alleviate how Castle Crashers wants you to be on the exact plane, the enemies have a tendancy to "lock on" to a player's positioning matching the height and even shadowing the player's movement maintaining an out of reach distance for standing physical attacks (so a dash attack or flinging poison/fire/etc. is the option for the one locked on one side, but note the enemy on the other side is still locked on and still shadowing your positioning). One can notice this when fighting one another for a princess (a nod to Double Dragon) where you can easily miss attack against your friends because human players dont tend to lock on to the same exact plane as one another. This lockon and shadow makes it feel like you got hits off because the game chose to have the enemy hit opposed to the feeling a player making it happen.

Bosses seem to have only 3 points (not areas) of vulnerability: immediate left, immediate right, and their belly. If one or more of the players are behind the boss they can get displaced (pushed) but no attacks work. Also given the size of most bosses, they can just obscure those players' positioning. Common enemies seem to only have 2 (left/right), while all players feel like thier whole charcter area is vulnerable to attack (minus the guarded state, RT). Players behind the boss' fat ass can get hit by them but not vice versa.

For a multiplayer game, the game is kind of cruel in its pacing. It seems to say "either you play this alone, or your friends must have already levelled.". The enemy count nor experiece gained does not seem to account for additional players. So when you start out (lv.1) with friends there are not enough enemies/exp. to go around to just progess stage to stage. This group will have to repeat/grind past stages to be of proper strength for later stages. If one or more of the players are significantly levelled over other players, they either just carry the underlevelled players through or just wait and allow the weaker players to try to gain exp., either way someone will not be participating in playing the game. This could happen with say, the owner having played a lot, while guests/newcomers are starting off from scratch, and here not everyone is really playing together, they are just all holding controllers together.

I wouldn't call the levelling system robust. It is just choosing an attribute to increase, after certain amounts maybe more shards of ice falls, or the arrows go further. It's not a tech tree, just adding subtle increase in numbers, MMORPG style. The game doesn't feel like it gives you enough when you do level up, especially for later, it takes a lot for so little such that it becomes a grind.

I know I prefer pixel art, not saying vectors cannot also be done artfully as well, but I do wish Castle Crashers would show more life with more drawn animation rather than soulless translates (move) and rotates. It may have personality, and personality does go a long way (like Double Fine games), but sometimes it could just be I don't like the specific personality. ("The owl fell into its own dookie bush, haha")

Anyway, I'm just clarifying why I feel, Castle Crashers doesn't feel right to me. I love brawlers, and I think Castle Crashers is on the opposite end of ones I like such as the Streets of Rage (Bare Knuckle) series, Final Fight series, River City Ransom (Kunio-kun) series, Double Dragon, Guardian Heroes, SNES/SFC Turtles in Time, etc. That is quite surprising to me considering the game references and/or takes elements from those games. I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game because it felt right to me. Even single player contemporaries of the genre like the Musou games (dynasy warriors) or God of War clones have a feel which Castle Crashers lacks.

I have odd tastes in games, I know that. I like games most don't like and can dislike games others do, I may be wired wrong ^^. Many people like Castle Crashers, it is consistently recommended, but I did play the game more than 5 minutes and found it not to my tastes, and I'm pretty sure it was Castle Crashers.

Crono-00 - While I have read and disagree with most of what you say I realize that I am not going to persuade you otherwise. I am sorry you didn't like the game. :(

However, I did run over to xbox.com and metacritic and it seems that you are definitely in the minority on this one.
xbox.com - 4.5 stars 228,530 votes.
metacritic - 82/100 and 91/100 user scores.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I bought RE4 the day it was released...and I already owned the GC version and still own the PS2 version. One of the best games ever...period. Worth $20 anyday of the week...[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%

Just need to beat it on professional for 1000 gs.

I've purchased Resident Evil 4 for 3 different systems already (Gamecube, PS2, and Wii). I just can't push myself to buy it again.
And I've bought Code Veronica for Dreamcast and Gamecube.

I'm hopeful of a sale on the 2 RE games... and I have enough in my backlog already to convince me that while worth it at $20 each, I can certainly wait for a drop.

Code Veronica really isn't a very good game. I sold my Dreamcast version several years ago.

The graphics were amazing for its time, but the story and atmosphere were crap compared to other Resident Evils.

Resident Evil 4, on the other hand, is one of the best action games ever.

Also waiting for a price drop on both RE's! Although I agree if you haven't played RE4 before, $20 is a steal. Fantastic game! Can't say anything on CV as I haven't actually played it.

As for Castle Crashers. I had fun playing through it with a buddy, but once I had played through it once, I didn't really feel like playing it anymore.

[quote name='eastx']Generic? It's anything but generic. Castle Crashers has more personality than just about any beat-em-up, and most games in general. It's packed with tons of content, beautiful artwork, a robust character building system, and more... It's easily one of the best, if not the very best, of its genre. Playing it for 5 minutes and then writing it off is just no good, Tyler Mane. Of course, I also disagree with just about all of Crono's criticisms, so maybe you guys played a different game.[/QUOTE]

I guess I should have specified that it had generic beat-em-up gameplay (and to be fair I should mention that it's not really a favorite genre of mine).

All I know is playing through it with my cousin started to feel like a chore about 1/2 way through. I couldn't figure out how come he could pick up some weapons and I couldn't, and the gameplay just felt so bland to me.

The art style is really awesome. And despite not liking Alien Hominid or Castle Crashers, I'm still looking forward to Battleblock Theater.

[quote name='locolukah']Agree 100%

Just need to beat it on professional for 1000 gs.[/QUOTE]

Despite it not being on sale yet, Xbox at least caught a break with Gamerscore. I got it with the PS+ discount, but the game has 1 gold (which I didn't even get), 2 silver, and 9 bronze trophies. For a trophy hunter like me, it was painful.

[quote name='tylerh1701']I couldn't figure out how come he could pick up some weapons and I couldn't, and the gameplay just felt so bland to me.[/QUOTE]

The only 2 reasons why he would be able to pick up a weapon you couldn't are:

1- you weren't high enough a level to use it. I can understand if you were playing with someone a bunch of levels higher than you later in the game that could be frustrating.

2-If you were in the weapons frog choosing weapons you can only take weapons off the rack that you collected in-game.

I don't typically replay games anymore - I have a huge backlog. But, I did play castle crashers all the way through 3.5 times.

[quote name='glennfrank']The only 2 reasons why he would be able to pick up a weapon you couldn't are:

1- you weren't high enough a level to use it. I can understand if you were playing with someone a bunch of levels higher than you later in the game that could be frustrating.

2-If you were in the weapons frog choosing weapons you can only take weapons off the rack that you collected in-game.

I don't typically replay games anymore - I have a huge backlog. But, I did play castle crashers all the way through 3.5 times.[/QUOTE]

OHHHHHHH!!! It was reason #2.

Yeah I am about as big a beat-em-up enthusiast as there is, and Castle Crashers does nothing for me. I went through it once with a friend and have no desire to play through again. I agree with the guy who said that the combat is just really dull and unsatisfying.

If all you want to do is grind out levels and loot, I guess it's OK. But I don't play beat-em-ups for that.

I'd much rather replay games like King of Dragons, Final Fight, Knights of the Round on the Capcom Classics Collections.

Alien Hominid was also pretty weak aside from the bonus stick man platforming mini game lol

Final Fight was my XBL arcade dream. I spent so many hours in the arcade at the Lake Chiemsee hotel, pumping quarters into that machine (and Strider). I haven't played it in awhile, but just knowing it's there on my hard drive - it warms my heart.

Hmm, they need to port Strider to XBL.

[quote name='wEEman33']Code Veronica really isn't a very good game. I sold my Dreamcast version several years ago.

The graphics were amazing for its time, but the story and atmosphere were crap compared to other Resident Evils.

Resident Evil 4, on the other hand, is one of the best action games ever.[/QUOTE]

I have nothing but good memories about CVX...I just always hated the name. It was as if it was some crappy spinoff when it actually had a good story, boss battles, and an important canon regarding Claire and Chris.

off-topic: damn, this topic moves pretty fast.

[quote name='wEEman33']Code Veronica really isn't a very good game. I sold my Dreamcast version several years ago.

Resident Evil 4, on the other hand, is one of the best action games ever.[/QUOTE]

i consider myself a resident evil fan boy, i think code veronica is arguably the best

the ashford twins are easily my favorite resident evil villains, i also love the music in this one

i bought code veronica the day it was released on xbla, admittedly i regret it a bit because the graphics don't look better, i justified buying it because of the bonus scenes in it that weren't included in the dreamcast version i originally played

[quote name='Crono-00']I enjoyed the process of "discovering" Guardian of Light in co-op, experiencing the game for the first time alongside someone else opposed to having someone else who has played through guide the other who may be dragging the other down. We did try to attain as many of those goals, including the speedy run through in co-op as well. I only tried playing the game single player for a bit, and found doing the puzzle-platforming alone with a singular character possessing both "powers" to be just standard fare. The combat in the game is also just twin-stick shooter fare, so to me, the standout feature Guardian of Light offers is co-op puzzle-platforming.
[/QUOTE]

the cool thing is you only need one person to own the game. the other person can have the demo. then the owner invites the demo person. the good part is you can play the entire co-op campaign. the bad part is you can't save your progress. get ready for a marathon.

[quote name='glennfrank']Crono-00 - While I have read and disagree with most of what you say I realize that I am not going to persuade you otherwise. I am sorry you didn't like the game. :(

However, I did run over to xbox.com and metacritic and it seems that you are definitely in the minority on this one.
xbox.com - 4.5 stars 228,530 votes.
metacritic - 82/100 and 91/100 user scores.[/QUOTE]

Well, I acknowledge and embace how I have odd taste in games. Don't be sorry, unless you made the game, then you could be disppointed one weird perosn doesn't approve ^^.

I find the dashboard's star system to be a popularity system, since I think there may be a tendancy to just 5 star liked games and 1 star rumored bad ones. I imagine one would try to purchase what they like and rate/vote accordingly. Also this star system doesn't define if a person played some, none, or all of a game for a fair evaluation.

Metacritic is just an average of critic scores. Sometimes critics score games in a general sense for the dreadded "if you like this kind of game, then this game may be for you, 3 out of 5" (umm, no duh, "if I like it I may like it" sounds kind of dumb) which ends out to a 60. This is kind of why I ask persons I know or CAGs for opinions, I look for opinions rather than a review. There is no denying I am on my own for having an opinion different than that of critics sometimes. Yet, I know metacritic is a guide, a tool, for getting an idea if some game is worth looking at.

Though sometimes price may not be accounted for in the assesment, that's where I turn to CAG to see if "I can squeeze $5 worth of joy out of a game". So as I mentioned earlier if one can wait for Castle Crashers it has dropped to 600MSP a few times and may be on sale again which could be more worthwhile than 1200MSP w/ a 60MSP rewards rebate at this time, if one is willing to wait.

I am happy I have my own opinion, as you should be with your's on Castle Crashers. I just wanted to offer another perspective.

Now I have strayed quite a bit from the deals, but I am still looking for marketplace items to purchase to take advantage of the 5% reward. I intend on getting old items with a low likelyhood of getting discounts. I am actually getting to my backlog to evaluate if DLC is worth it for some of the games. I am currently playing Front Mission Evolved (don't judge me, it was $7 new with the preorder DLC =P), and still have no idea about its DLC value. I know others have complimented the DLC for Enslaved, and I will give that a whirl soonish. Maybe the Civilization Revolution and/or X-Men Origins: Wolverine DLC ... I don't think those will get a sale anytime soon, more potential purchases for me this month. Looking for suggestions or prespective of worth ...

Crono put into words a lot of what I disliked about Castle Crashers and part of even why I did not much care for Scott Pilgrim, though SP is definitely the better game.

And, yes, I LOVE beat-em-ups. Castle Crashers is just not that good. It's a mindless button-masher for co-op play but getting a root canal is fun with friends so that is hardly an achievement.

Speaking of root canals, the Enslaved DLC is really good. It cuts out the combat and turns it into a light stealth shooter sort of game. The mechanics there are great and even though the whole thing screams "We cut this playable content from the main game." it has enough rework to be entertaining and, dammit, the story was entertaining as hell. Even moreso than the main Enslaved story, in my opinion.

[quote name='Crono-00']
..am happy I have my own opinion, as you should be with your's on Castle Crashers. I just wanted to offer another perspective.

... I know others have complimented the DLC for Enslaved, and I will give that a whirl soonish. ...[/QUOTE]

Looking back on my earlier comment I hope I wasn't coming across as a jerk or anything. I was just using xbox & metacritic as examples that many people did enjoy the game. I know that everyone has their own tastes & I respect your opinion on CC even though it's the polar opposite of mine - you obviously have thought a lot about it.

Given the disparity of our tastes on Castle Crashers I will still tentatively recommend Enslaved & the DLC. I enjoyed that game quite a bit more than I expected to. I had rented it from Gamefly, beat it, sent it back & then bought it on one of the black friday sales - I often lend games to my girlfriend when I am done with them and I thought she would enjoy it as well (she's finally getting around to Mass Effect 2).
The DLC's mechanics were completely different from the main game and I found it refreshing and interesting to go into that game-world with a different play-style.

[quote name='RollingSkull']
And, yes, I LOVE beat-em-ups. Castle Crashers is just not that good. It's a mindless button-masher for co-op play but getting a root canal is fun with friends so that is hardly an achievement.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you should add 'in my opinion' or 'in my extreme minority opinion,' since to many of us, it is that good and more.

So is Castle Crashers going to be on sale? I'm having trouble following why suddenly so many CAGs are railing against it here.

[quote name='eastx']Perhaps you should add 'in my opinion' or 'in my extreme minority opinion,' since to many of us, it is that good and more.[/QUOTE]
Sorry.

And, yes, I LOVE beat-em-ups. Castle Crashers is just not that good. It's a mindless button-masher for co-op play but, IN MY OPINION, getting a root canal is fun with friends so that is hardly an achievement.

[quote name='salty tbone']So is Castle Crashers going to be on sale? I'm having trouble following why suddenly so many CAGs are railing against it here.[/QUOTE]

I think it stemmed from someone waiting for Trials HD and Castle Crashers to go on sale again even tho they didn't like the demoes for either of them, then someone else said stick with your first impressions, and it took off from there.

There's no news of Castle Crashers going on sale anytime in the future, though I'm sure it will some point this year.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Sorry.

And, yes, I LOVE beat-em-ups. Castle Crashers is just not that good. It's a mindless button-masher for co-op play but, IN MY OPINION, getting a root canal is fun with friends so that is hardly an achievement.[/QUOTE]

Look at you trying to win that Mr. Popularity award again! He doesn't do it for the attention, folks. He just doesn't.

[quote name='eastx']Perhaps you should add 'in my opinion' or 'in my extreme minority opinion,' since to many of us, it is that good and more.[/QUOTE]

...but all of that should have been implied when you saw that the post came from RollingSkull =P

Where do I fit in the Castle Crashers divide? I am a long time beat-em-up fan and I thought the game was pretty good but not stellar like some people. Personally, I liked Scott Pilgrim way better than Castle Crashers.

There is no need to hate the game just because it's more popular than the game probably deserves (see Call of Duty for more on being more popular than sanity predicts). Let the fans enjoy the game and just be happy that people are playing video games.

[quote name='Gabrius']...but all of that should have been implied when you saw that the post came from RollingSkull =P[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. I take everything RollingSkull says with a huge grain of salt.

No offense to him, he is entitled to his opinion as much as I am entitled to mine. But, in my opinion, he has a very unique taste for video games. Though I do agree with his position on Castle Crashers.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I liked Scott Pilgrim way better than Castle Crashers.[/QUOTE]

2nd.

[quote name='Outinthedark']What beat-em-up isn't a mindless button-masher?[/QUOTE]

The Devil May Cry series comes to mind. Some might argue that that's not a beat-em-up, but IMO that and the modern Ninja Gaiden games are pretty much what the genre has evolved into. The later games in the series have some gameplay mechanics that are pretty tough to master.

[quote name='glennfrank']Looking back on my earlier comment I hope I wasn't coming across as a jerk or anything. I was just using xbox & metacritic as examples that many people did enjoy the game. I know that everyone has their own tastes & I respect your opinion on CC even though it's the polar opposite of mine - you obviously have thought a lot about it.

Given the disparity of our tastes on Castle Crashers I will still tentatively recommend Enslaved & the DLC. I enjoyed that game quite a bit more than I expected to. I had rented it from Gamefly, beat it, sent it back & then bought it on one of the black friday sales - I often lend games to my girlfriend when I am done with them and I thought she would enjoy it as well (she's finally getting around to Mass Effect 2).
The DLC's mechanics were completely different from the main game and I found it refreshing and interesting to go into that game-world with a different play-style.[/QUOTE]

No, I should apologize, to you and all here. I had not intended for any debate on CC, and by now I am sure many are sick of the topic and my wall of text posts. My large posts may appear combative, but never my intent, I am trying to be more concise, but I do lose some meaning as I did when I withheld delineating the issues I had with the game, so I elaborated and it spiralled out of control. I am sorry for this, sorry.

Your significant other is way ahead of I, I have to play ME1 a second time through still. That's why my backlog is difficult to tackle, I do revisit games, to play alongside others or I do enjoy them that much. Thanks for the input on the Enslaved DLC, I still gotta figure out the other titles.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Where do I fit in the Castle Crashers divide? I am a long time beat-em-up fan and I thought the game was pretty good but not stellar like some people. Personally, I liked Scott Pilgrim way better than Castle Crashers.

There is no need to hate the game just because it's more popular than the game probably deserves (see Call of Duty for more on being more popular than sanity predicts). Let the fans enjoy the game and just be happy that people are playing video games.[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn I spent quite a few sentences explaining my dislike of a game was due to its mechanics and not its popularity. It probably was the great mystery, since I love the mindless button mashing, how I was unable to enjoy it as others do. I have illustrated all the mechanical reasons to how it didn't feel right to me in an earlier post ... but it was not due to its popularity. I can also take pleasure in popular games as well.

Also another to the SP. =P

Sorry to all again. Also, any thoughts on the DLC I should get for 5% rewards? (aside from Enslaved, the other titles I listed before)

I think the Shank and Dishwasher games are the most satisfying modern beat em ups on XBLA. Button mashing won't get you far in those games, and it will take some skill to beat the hardest difficulty modes.

Scott Pilgrim is alright, but the graphics/sound is where most of the charm lies. Your character becomes totally overpowered about halfway in and the gameplay just gets stale fast. I had no desire to revisit it after my initial playthrough. I also think they really dropped the ball by not including online coop.

Best remaster of a classic beat em up is Final Fight by a mile.

Since everyone is weighing in on Castle Crashers I am going to also.

IMO -

The 3 most overrated XBLA Games:
1. Castle Crashers
2. Braid
3. Shadow Complex

The 3 most underrated XBLA Games:
1. Geometry Wars (1 & 2 really)
2. Torchlight
3. Puzzle Quest

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']Since everyone is weighing in on Castle Crashers I am going to also.

IMO -

The 3 most overrated XBLA Games:
1. Castle Crashers
2. Braid
3. Shadow Complex[/QUOTE]

Here we go.....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back