XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='airco']Have you tried watching this tutorial?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing, I knew there had to be a trick to simpler targeting, as the rotating was getting me nowhere. I'll try out the demo again with my new knowledge.

[quote name='JStryke']Pretty sure I heard the points actually won't show up as pending. When May 15th rolls around, they should just automatically be added to your account.[/QUOTE]

Interesting? Thanks for that. I had forgotten that the points take so long to post... looks like I'll have to shell out a few bucks for Nin2-Jump after all, and just sit on my 300 until something good shows up.

[quote name='airco']Have you tried watching this tutorial?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-67BkxgCfE

Just remember that you're supposed to Jump -> Jump Cancel to lock on to enemies, rather than actually turn.

Then again, I haven't gotten into the game myself. I'll do it eventually, though, I swear.[/QUOTE]

It's been so long since I played it, but yeah, the game is easier once you get the hang of it. With that said, I wouldn't mind getting a cag night together for this game. Could be fun since the only people online it seems are the japanese and beating them is impossible. :razz:

My 2 cents on this weeks purchases:

Nin2jump: not fun. The controls are wonky on purpose and the objective just isn't very interesting. I wasted 200 points on that one.
Haunt: fun game. If you like double fines games, you'll like this. It's a 1st person haunted mansion game that requires kinetic. Worth the 400 pts and has avatar awards.

While I haven't purchased it yet, I'll comment on Fable:Heroes from the demo. I liked it. The controls weren't great and it didn't do much for the fable universe, but I could see having fun playing this with my daughter. I'll pick it up once I finish Haunt.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']
Haunt: fun game. If you like double fines games, you'll like this. It's a 1st person haunted mansion game that requires kinetic. Worth the 400 pts and has avatar awards.

While I haven't purchased it yet, I'll comment on Fable:Heroes from the demo. I liked it. The controls weren't great and it didn't do much for the fable universe, but I could see having fun playing this with my daughter. I'll pick it up once I finish Haunt.[/QUOTE]

Kinect!!!!

Glad you liked Fable Heroes. I'm the same way - I look forward to playing it with the GF and daughter since it's something they'd like. Wish it had been a Castle Crashers killer, but almost any beat-em-up is fun in co-op.

Virtual On is awesome -- I spent hours playing this in video arcades. That said, it took me a while to fiddle with the demo's controls to set them the way I remembered the arcade cabinets were set up.

Except that it's really the second controller pre-set. Silly me. Picking this game up later.

Man loved the Virtual On Series. I remember the twin sticks for the Sega Saturn to play this game. fun times.

So why did they port the mobile version of Wrestlefest and not the kickass arcade port of it?

[quote name='Narsis84']Side note: Does anyone else get logged out on CAG when posting sometimes?[/QUOTE]

That's your cookies automatically resetting/not saving each time the page has to fully reload. Most business networks are set up to do that; it aids in keeping stupid people not perma-logged on to Yahoo and the likes.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']My 2 cents on this weeks purchases:

Nin2jump: not fun. The controls are wonky on purpose and the objective just isn't very interesting. I wasted 200 points on that one.

While I haven't purchased it yet, I'll comment on Fable:Heroes from the demo. I liked it. The controls weren't great and it didn't do much for the fable universe, but I could see having fun playing this with my daughter. I'll pick it up once I finish Haunt.[/QUOTE]

Nin2Jump was not that fun. I am with you.

I hadn't played the Haunt demo yet but from what I had heard, I was interested. However, now that you said avatar awards ... I'm sold. I don't buy games just because they're cheap or the achievments are easy but if you say avatar awards, I generally lose all sense of reason.

I played the Fable Heroes demo with my seven year old. She loved it and I liked it. It does have its issues but it is a go for me.

[quote name='eastx']Kinect!!!!

Glad you liked Fable Heroes. I'm the same way - I look forward to playing it with the GF and daughter since it's something they'd like. Wish it had been a Castle Crashers killer, but almost any beat-em-up is fun in co-op.[/QUOTE]

Yes, kinect ....stupid auto correct. :)

I'll also agree that Nin-Jump felt like a chore. Is an easy and quick 200 though, so it has it's redeeming qualities. ;)

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Nin2jump: not fun. The controls are wonky on purpose and the objective just isn't very interesting. I wasted 200 points on that one.[/QUOTE]

The controls are wonky? How so? The jumping and movement controls felt pretty precise for me. The kusari took some getting used to, but once you mastered it, it let you zip everywhere and get S ranks left and right like some kind of... ninja. The objective isn't terribly interesting or original, but in the context of its framing (i.e. it's supposed to be a kid's show), I think it works. Not to say it was anything amazing, but I've paid $2.50 for worse things (ugh, Sequence).

I purchased Nin2-Jump yesterday and beat it in a couple hours. I thought it was a great platformer and had alot of fun with it. Easy/fast 200GS too if you like achievements.

[quote name='ZombiesWorld']I purchased Nin2-Jump yesterday and beat it in a couple hours. I thought it was a great platformer and had alot of fun with it. Easy/fast 200GS too if you like achievements.[/QUOTE]

I bought it at launch for $5 and had a blast with it. Fun to 100%. For 200 MSP, you can't go wrong... unless you totally hate weird Japanese games.

And remember, this game was sold with all proceeds going to charity in Japan for hurricane relief. Well done Cave.

Just curious, did Minecraft get leaked or something?

See a guy on my list playing it whom im pretty sure isnt a reviewer. (Never seen him playing any other XBLA games early)

I saw that there was a guy with an early version of Minecraft that leaked, but Microsoft acted on that fast. Don't expect your friend to have an Live account much longer.

I tried the demo for Nin2-Jump yesterday and it's a decent platformer. From what I played I would say you can't go wrong for $2.50. I bought it and I'm hoping to put in a few hours today.

EDIT: Apparently points are out of stock and one guy's order was canceled (mine hasn't been yet). Anyways, sorry more couldn't take advantage of this.

Ok, here we go (cross posted from the Cheap Xbox Points thread, because a lot of people might not check that one):

Amazon Local has $25 voucher to spend at yoyo.com for $12. Works in Salt Lake City, my guess is it will work for most areas, otherwise just buy one from Salt Lake City, I've never had problems buying from places like Los Angeles on Amazon Local Deals before:

http://local.amazon.com/salt-lake-city

Yoyo.com has 1600 and 4000 MS Point cards for retail price, and free 2 day shipping if you spend over $25 for the month of May. I bought two 1600msp cards to qualify for the free shipping, the code worked just fine. So $14.98 to yoyo.com and $12 to Amazon Local ($26.98 total) for $40 worth of Microsoft Points.

I have never heard of yoyo.com before, but if Amazon Local is vouching for them I think they'll be fine. I already got my order confirmation and estimated delivery date of Wed., May 9.

Just wanted to share in case anybody else was running low on points.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tylerh1701']Ok, here we go (cross posted from the Cheap Xbox Points thread, because a lot of people might not check that one):

Amazon Local has $25 voucher to spend at yoyo.com for $12. Works in Salt Lake City, my guess is it will work for most areas, otherwise just buy one from Salt Lake City, I've never had problems buying from places like Los Angeles on Amazon Local Deals before:

http://local.amazon.com/salt-lake-city

Yoyo.com has 1600 and 4000 MS Point cards for retail price, and free 2 day shipping if you spend over $25 for the month of May. I bought two 1600msp cards to qualify for the free shipping, the code worked just fine. So $14.98 to yoyo.com and $12 to Amazon Local ($26.98 total) for $40 worth of Microsoft Points.

I have never heard of yoyo.com before, but if Amazon Local is vouching for them I think they'll be fine. I already got my order confirmation and estimated delivery date of Wed., May 9.

Also, they gave me a referral code to share (TYLE6862) which should give new customers 20% off their first purchase. Might not work with the Amazon code, but it's worth a shot.

Just wanted to share in case anybody else was running low on points.[/QUOTE]

Available in Ohio as well, so I would assume it's everywhere. Too bad you can't buy 2 of them and get a 4000 point card for $24.

Finally got around to trying out the demos for both Fable Heroes and Awesomenauts.

Awesomenauts... seemed like a pretty cool 2D multiplayer battle game. I might pick it up once it hits the DotW for half price. I can't really see myself playing it often though, thats why I am going to wait for a sale... and I might even pass on it when it goes on sale, I dunno.

Fable Heroes... AVOID this steaming pile at all costs. The gameplay felt really SLOW and extremely repetitive. I couldn't even stomach to finish the demo. WTF is up with "Breaktime"? Really Lionhead? lol. I wouldn't even play it if it was free. If you have kids under 10, they might enjoy it but even then I don't know. Fable Heroes is one of the worst XBLA game ever made...

It's just sad to see a studio as talented as Lionhead wasting their time on such a piece of shit.

I don't get why Fable Heroes is getting so much hate. It's not a great game by any means, but it's way better than 1/2 the crap that comes out on XBLA. I think it's just easy to rag on Lionhead's games for some reason. It's not a bad game, especially if you're playing with someone. Maybe I'm just into it because I'm a huge Fable fan and I'm playing Heroes with my daughter.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I don't get why Fable Heroes is getting so much hate. It's not a great game by any means, but it's way better than 1/2 the crap that comes out on XBLA. I think it's just easy to rag on Lionhead's games for some reason. It's not a bad game, especially if you're playing with someone. Maybe I'm just into it because I'm a huge Fable fan and I'm playing Heroes with my daughter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it has some problems and the characters do indeed start out a bit slow. But Sp's comments and a lot of reactions to it are just exaggerated and silly. Also character movement and attack speed are both upgradable, so it doesn't stay a hindrance for all that long.

[quote name='infamy']Minecraft is almost upon us.[/QUOTE]

Cant wait, i have barely played my 360 at all in past few months, buying this the moment it comes out.

[quote name='eastx']Also character movement and attack speed are both upgradable, so it doesn't stay a hindrance for all that long.[/QUOTE]

I was unaware of the upgrades. My comments were based on the 10 mins I spent with the trial. I guess that makes it a little bit better. I still think the game is awful though. The devs really hurt themselves by providing a trial like that with extremely weak and slow characters.

I honestly thought my 360 was lagging it was so slow.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I don't get why Fable Heroes is getting so much hate. It's not a great game by any means, but it's way better than 1/2 the crap that comes out on XBLA. I think it's just easy to rag on Lionhead's games for some reason. It's not a bad game, especially if you're playing with someone. Maybe I'm just into it because I'm a huge Fable fan and I'm playing Heroes with my daughter.[/QUOTE]
By that logic, half of the games on XBLA are better than it, which makes it hard for most people to want to spend full price on a middle-of-the-road games that would be better spent on better games that are out or coming up in the near future.

[quote name='ChicoChanqlueta']And aren't the upgrades for Fable Heroes somewhat luck based? So you can't just pick the speed upgrade right?[/QUOTE]

If you play several levels, you're bound to land on a Speed upgrade tile eventually. You can also just redo the short minigame levels repeatedly to get back to the dice rolling minigame faster. Finally, some spaces on the board allow players to skip to the upgrade tile of their choice, making it easier to work on a specific power. No, you won't instantly be zooming about and throwing down powerful attacks, but just play for a while and it will come.

As for Frisky Tanuki's comment, yeah, obviously there are many excellent XBLA games, making an average one less compelling. There are also many games of much lower quality, such as Lucha Fury. Heroes not being great doesn't mean someone who's interested in the game shouldn't buy it and have fun with it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Being better than crap isn't really an accomplishment and saying it's better than Lucha Fury adds nothing of value to your argument.[/QUOTE]

What is my argument? That the game isn't horrible. It's not (IMO). Games come in all ranges of quality, not just 'best' and 'worst.' Middle of the road titles can still be fun to play. I don't see what further elaboration is needed to make this point. Also, as per your request, next time I will not provide supporting examples, because they do not help support arguments.

I didn't think the game was horrible either (based on the demo). I think the word I used was "pedestrian" to describe the gameplay, but there's lot of games on XBLA where the gameplay can be described with far worse words.

I'd gladly pay $5 for it if it ever goes on sale or I can get through a trade here.

The arguments here that it's better than the crap on XBLA, which isn't say much in its favor. People expected a lot more from the Fable name and the game didn't live up to that, so people are obviously disappointed by a game that's average.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The arguments here that it's better than the crap on XBLA, which isn't say much in its favor. People expected a lot more from the Fable name and the game didn't live up to that, so people are obviously disappointed by a game that's average.[/QUOTE]

Now you're making a separate argument. You're free to feel that way, but it's possible to put aside the Fable branding and just enjoy it as a casual multiplayer-focused beat-em-up with mild character building elements.

[quote name='Jay']Guess i'll probably skip minecraft now since it isn't like the pc version.[/QUOTE]

Huh?

[quote name='tylerh1701']It's not?[/QUOTE]

I guess jay read eastx's comment and provided no supporting examples for his argument. That's how people roll now.

As for me, skipping the Tom Clancy repeats that are coming up. Still waiting on the 15th for some good deals

[quote name='Dustinator']As for me, skipping the Tom Clancy repeats that are coming up. Still waiting on the 15th for some good deals[/QUOTE]

I'm holding out hope for a couple unannounced sales next week, like we got this week with Guwange, Virtual On, and Nin2 Jump. But if we don't get any (or we do but they're crappy) then I'm gonna scoop up Guwange Tuesday at the last minute.

I thought the demo for Fable Heros was pretty good,yes it wasn't mind blowing or new but it was still a fun simple game. I honestly think people just love to hate on the Fable franchise,same shit happened with Fable 2 and 3,which were both pretty good games as well.

[quote name='eastx']What is my argument? That the game isn't horrible. It's not (IMO). Games come in all ranges of quality, not just 'best' and 'worst.' Middle of the road titles can still be fun to play. I don't see what further elaboration is needed to make this point. Also, as per your request, next time I will not provide supporting examples, because they do not help support arguments.[/QUOTE]
amen

[quote name='eastx']Now you're making a separate argument. You're free to feel that way, but it's possible to put aside the Fable branding and just enjoy it as a casual multiplayer-focused beat-em-up with mild character building elements.

Huh?[/QUOTE]

I've been reading comments on gamefaqs and a random minecraft forum and the 360 version is way smaller the the pc version,pc is an infinite world were as the 360 version is a mere island,really disappointing for me personally.Here is the gamefaqs thread,

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632873-minecraft-xbox-360-edition/62737922

[quote name='Jay']Guess i'll probably skip minecraft now since it isn't like the pc version.
random.gif
[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I wonder why they did that though? Maybe they listened to us gamers for a change :eek:

[quote name='Dark Rider']Japanese stuff is back to full price.[/QUOTE]

Just signed onto my 360(U.S. btw) and Gunwage and Virtual OT(I think I spelled those wrong) were still at half price 400 and 600.....

[quote name='Jay']I've been reading comments on gamefaqs and a random minecraft forum and the 360 version is way smaller the the pc version,pc is an infinite world were as the 360 version is a mere island,really disappointing for me personally.Here is the gamefaqs thread,

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632873-minecraft-xbox-360-edition/62737922[/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised. I wonder how the worlds are handled. Are they save files on the 360? On the PC worlds can be a couple of megs or two gigs. Few are anywhere near that big, but a few friends doing a lot of exploring can easily create a 50-100 MB world after awhile. That might not work well with the way files are handled on the 360 and I imagine there's no way it would be eligible for cloud saves if that's how worlds are handled.

A fixed world size keeps things manageable. You can still get quite a bit out of a 10-20 MB world and there are games with save files in that range. I guess we'll see as more people get their hands on it.

[quote name='Dustinator']Just signed onto my 360(U.S. btw) and Gunwage and Virtual OT(I think I spelled those wrong) were still at half price 400 and 600.....[/QUOTE]

Well, apparently at the top of the page (When you click through link) it lists full price, but when I scroll down it says the discounted price. Not sure why that is, but sorry about the false alarm.

Edit: Logged in with my account, and it changed both places. My mistake, guys.

[quote name='louiedog']I'm not surprised. I wonder how the worlds are handled. Are they save files on the 360? On the PC worlds can be a couple of megs or two gigs. Few are anywhere near that big, but a few friends doing a lot of exploring can easily create a 50-100 MB world after awhile. That might not work well with the way files are handled on the 360 and I imagine there's no way it would be eligible for cloud saves if that's how worlds are handled.

A fixed world size keeps things manageable. You can still get quite a bit out of a 10-20 MB world and there are games with save files in that range. I guess we'll see as more people get their hands on it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Xbox restricts what saves you can put on the cloud, because it is happy to put the 100+ MB game save for SSX on there. And that's a big mistake unless you have super fast internet. On my DSL it's a disaster. The download speed isn't bad, but uploading 100 MB to the cloud every time you shut off the Xbox is annoying with the fan whirring forever. So I had to move my save onto a flash drive and use that old method for carting my save between our xboxes.

My kids may be disappointed in the news of a smaller world in the Xbox version. They'll probably still buy it, but they may not like it as much. On the other hand it has 4 player splitscreen.

EDIT: ah, but I see the reports of smaller world are based on an early build. Maybe the final version has a larger map. I guess we'll find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back