XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what the recently reduced are for the month?

Im in the beta and the dashboard aint friendly to sales... it still shows Babel Rising as a sale, but its not... i can click on it and it ends up saying its 800 msp

the only way i can see the deals are through the deals and specials app... that worries the hell out of me, i hope that is not the direction M$ is going in

[quote name='Juice el Savior']Anyone know what the recently reduced are for the month?

Im in the beta and the dashboard aint friendly to sales... it still shows Babel Rising as a sale, but its not... i can click on it and it ends up saying its 800 msp

the only way i can see the deals are through the deals and specials app... that worries the hell out of me, i hope that is not the direction M$ is going in[/QUOTE]

same thing with me bro. Since the new dash, ive gone through 5+ updates. Something def. smells fishy here

[quote name='tylerh1701']Is anyone able to start up the Resident Evil 6 demo from this link?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...-RELEASE/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80243438836

I can't seem to get it going at all, I keep getting a weird error. Just wondering if that happens to anyone else.

I've actually had a lot of weird problems with Xbox.com lately. Mostly in Chrome, but some in IE as well. Anyone else running into problems with the website?[/QUOTE]

They have been having problems the last couple days. I wasn't able to do almost anything on the site yesterday and I wasn't able to queue up JSR today either. And I was getting disconnected while playing on my xbox and having troubles with downloads.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Is anyone able to start up the Resident Evil 6 demo from this link?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...-RELEASE/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80243438836

I can't seem to get it going at all, I keep getting a weird error. Just wondering if that happens to anyone else.

I've actually had a lot of weird problems with Xbox.com lately. Mostly in Chrome, but some in IE as well. Anyone else running into problems with the website?[/QUOTE]

I initiated the download on Xbox.com and it wasn't showing up in my Recent Games list. Then on the console, it said "Purchase RE6 Demo" with a "-1" near it, which I've never seen before. I clicked on that and nothing happened. It eventually worked and I was able to start the demo. I don't know what was going on.

OK, glad I'm not the only one having troubles with xbox.com. I like to queue up all my demos from xbox.com because it's way quicker than messing with the marketplace on the system, plus I usually forget about it if I don't queue it up right away.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Yes, almost certainly. So getting a full 200 from games like Joust, Gauntlet, etc. isn't gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

Damn, this makes me a sad panda. The only delisted Midway game I have is Joust (cause it came with those cheaper $50/year XBL Gold cards). Those bastards!

[quote name='Spylon']These are not official, xbldb is suffering with the RB Sale so to clean up a bit I marked them as RR.

Also the Activision sales last 2 weeks, I've never seen one last a whole month. I'll tag those sales and then post the link to verify.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for scouring through that post well enough to find my question to you, and for a prompt reply. Doing that makes sense (as they most likely are Recently Reduced) and it does make it much easier to filter through, absolutely. But that means for now they're still in the "probable" category. Also, I always thought they were monthly sales, my mistake. I assume nothing's been discounted in their place?

Gonna queue the RE6 demo myself and see what happens (I'm using IE8 atm). And I definitely feel bad for all you beta dash users. Has a dash beta ever been THIS buggy?

Edit: As soon as I put my details to log in, I got the "This shouldn't have happened page". Upon the first few tries of downloading to the RE6 demo to my Xbox 360, I got the same page until just now. It says "Already Purchased" now, so maybe they JUST fixed it?

[quote name='BobbyTastic']

Gonna queue the RE6 demo myself and see what happens (I'm using IE8 atm). And I definitely feel bad for all you beta dash users. Has a dash beta ever been THIS buggy?

Edit: As soon as I put my details to log in, I got the "This shouldn't have happened page". Upon the first few tries of downloading to the RE6 demo to my Xbox 360, I got the same page until just now. It says "Already Purchased" now, so maybe they JUST fixed it?[/QUOTE]

Yup, worked for me now. Thanks.

My guess is with all these security features their adding in, it's causing a lot of random errors.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Thanks for scouring through that post well enough to find my question to you, and for a prompt reply. Doing that makes sense (as they most likely are Recently Reduced) and it does make it much easier to filter through, absolutely. But that means for now they're still in the "probable" category. Also, I always thought they were monthly sales, my mistake. I assume nothing's been discounted in their place?[/QUOTE]

NP, I kinda want to hire you for xbldb offer identification but sadly it wouldn't be a paying job. ;)

I tagged a couple of the previous sales:
http://xbldb.com/deal-tag/activision-music

You will have to go to each offer to see if they are all for two weeks, I checked a couple.

[quote name='louiedog']Free DLC Code Challenge[/QUOTE]

So I've done it just now, and I don't know if I'm late to the party but I don't see any code. It's completed though (joined it last night), and when I click on the challenge itself it loads endlessly.

edit: nevermind. for anyone curious it's in the completed goals section.

[quote name='Lonedragon87']any thoughts about fable heroes?[/QUOTE]

Decent game for 400 MSP. Can transfer gold to Fable Journey and easy 380 out of 400 gamerscore.

[quote name='Zonic505']I'm trying to decide this as well. I want to try it just because it's one of those classic games for being ahead of its time, but on the other hand, it's pretty much Quick-Time Event: The Video Game. I'm 1/2 tempted to just skip & save the money for MvC Origins, JSR, Nights, & SA2.[/QUOTE]

MvC Origins! Forgot about that. I'm more excited about MsH within the package than MvC1.

Also, thanks everyone a few pages back for their thoughts on Dragon's Lair. I will just hit up a friends house with drinks to play it as was mentioned. hehe.

[quote name='Spylon']NP, I kinda want to hire you for xbldb offer identification but sadly it wouldn't be a paying job. ;)

I tagged a couple of the previous sales:
http://xbldb.com/deal-tag/activision-music

You will have to go to each offer to see if they are all for two weeks, I checked a couple.[/QUOTE]

Just gave it a look, you're right. And I'm flattered and all, but I couldn't guarantee you any hours out of the day since my work and school schedule are all over the place usually. But I'd gladly do it without pay, and I'm not surprised since I often wonder how you're able to afford maintaining such a site anyways.

And not all betas are TRAINWRECKS like this one, lol. The Alpha is expected to be a trainwreck, sure, but the beta is more for finetuning, I would think. That's why it's the last stage before going Gold, if it were expected to be a wreck, there'd be a Gamma stage.

Wow, I'm surprised to see someone who prefer MSH or MvC. It's like a unicorn! I loved MSH and all but I thought it always felt clunkier than MvC (which I play religiously on any computer I have access to, to this day).

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Wow, I'm surprised to see someone who prefer MSH or MvC. It's like a unicorn! I loved MSH and all but I thought it always felt clunkier than MvC (which I play religiously on any computer I have access to, to this day).[/QUOTE]

Well, I loved the infinity Gem system in MsH, it also was the first game with the awesome Captain America theme.

As for over MvC1, I vastly prefer MvC2, so seeing MsH there is awesome and saves me having to buy an expensive Sega Saturn copy!

I can tell that whoever at EA or Microsoft had old stock of stuff because one of the prizes for the new XBL Rewards contest is incredibly stupid if it's not:

picture.php

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I can tell that whoever at EA or Microsoft had old stock of stuff because one of the prizes for the new XBL Rewards contest is incredibly stupid if it's not:

picture.php
[/QUOTE]

Nothing says "afterthought" like an autographed Hillis helmet from a team he no longer plays on.

[quote name='ooga']I got an early code for Fire Pro Wrestling. As everyone expected: the game completely blows. What a waste.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I'll avoid trading for it.

[quote name='ooga']I got an early code for Fire Pro Wrestling. As everyone expected: the game completely blows. What a waste.[/QUOTE]

Details? Can you compare it to earlier titles?

can you expand on that? I hate all these hit and run trolling. if you can't describe why it's bad, then it's a worthless troll piece...

[quote name='dirtyvu']can you expand on that? I hate all these hit and run trolling. if you can't describe why it's bad, then it's a worthless troll piece...[/QUOTE]

As a regular (and frequent) poster, I think we can take ooga's opinion at face value. If he says it's no good then there is some merit to it. Not every opinion is senseless trolling.

[quote name='Felder71']Details? Can you compare it to earlier titles?[/QUOTE]

Let's see, only about 300 moves, mainly avatar based, more cartoony, less customizable options (you won't be able to create just about any wrestler past and present), and the game is made for a broader audience and not just the small niche of Fire Pro fans.

I knew from the first screenshot that was released that this game wasn't going to be the same Fire Pro that wrestling gamers loved.

:( back to my PS2 then, kinda glad though because I don't have any points anyway

[quote name='Felder71']Details? Can you compare it to earlier titles?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with earlier titles. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion so others may feel differently and is based on a relatively short time playing the game. It feels very unpolished and incomplete. The first time I started the game I was thrown directly into a match with "Evil Giant" who just stood there and let me beat him. Not sure what the purpose was, it was not a tutorial. Just some random event. This happened without presenting me with a menu of any sort.
The combat itself is very simplistic and mostly depends on button mashing. You can unlock more moves later, but frankly I lost interest in the game pretty quickly. Character movement is very stiff did not feel natural. Also it seems after a few kicks, my opponent always ended up outside the ring, not sure whats up with that.
Anyway, all this -again- is just my opinion. I would be shocked if many people disagreed with me though. Play the demo on Friday and draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dirtyvu']can you expand on that? I hate all these hit and run trolling. if you can't describe why it's bad, then it's a worthless troll piece...[/QUOTE]
You keep using this word trolling. I don't think it means what you think it means.

I considered trolling in this post for mega-irony but I couldn't spin this into a good troll

Ummm yeah. I should be banned and stuff for not meeting the minimum word-count that you require. Sorry man, I dont review games so a quick blurb is all I care to post in most cases. Wait for a wordsmith like eastx or others to provide you with the details.

[quote name='ooga']Ummm yeah. I should be banned and stuff for not meeting the minimum word-count that you require. Sorry man, I dont review games so a quick blurb is all I care to post in most cases. Wait for a wordsmith like eastx or others to provide you with the details.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, posting something like "it sucks because uh it sucks" is sort of limp. Not that this sort of "critical analysis" is obscure around here... But you did clarify afterward, so it's a moot point now.

I know absolutely nothing about Fire Pro Wrestling, but something about this discussion piques my interest.

Some games just suck because they suck. Every single mechanic in ORC is just terrible from tip to toenails. Nothing works. It all sucks.

That said, FPW was always... I would consider it the wrestling fan with autism. It had such a charming dedication to letting you create wrestling matches that you wanted with all kinds of appropriate stats and settings. The last installment included a large MMA contingent, and those MMA fighters had their own grapple mechanics AND they would no-sell the sillier wrestling moves like an Irish Whip AND the AI for each wrestler had a setting to give the AI limited or increased awareness of how they had to fight the MMA characters. (So, if you were making Bork Lesnar you probably would want him to be good at that stat. Sheamus or one of the out of ring creampuffs? Maybe not so much.)

This was the sort of bizarre, unwieldy, beautiful depth in FPW, capped off by some of the worst menus ever crafted by man.

However, my issue with the series was always in the gameplay. Wrestlers moved as 2D sprites and lining up strikes was a joke. It never worked. Grapples were initiated by brushing up against your foe and whoever gets initiative in the grapple is based off a timed button press that is often not particularly intuitive. Even if you get the timing right, you have to choose a move appropriate to the enemy's HP or they will get the grapple instead or will reverse your powerplay attempt. Buttonmashing only occurred during submissions if memory serves. The grapples were dictated by a single timed button press.

In so many ways it is almost the opposite of the WWE games but that grapple system always grated me the wrong way.

That said, even seeing ONE screenshot of the new FPW makes it clear that it will be nowhere close to the labor of wrestling fan love FPW used to be. Whether the gameplay survives is another issue but there the gameplay was less gamey and more of an effort to keep the matches paced similar to a real wrestling match. As such, I didn't think FPW was worth it JUST for the gameplay.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']To be fair, posting something like "it sucks because uh it sucks" is sort of limp. Not that this sort of "critical analysis" is obscure around here... But you did clarify afterward, so it's a moot point now.

I know absolutely nothing about Fire Pro Wrestling, but something about this discussion piques my interest.[/QUOTE]

Basically the Fire Pro series was based in Japan. It had oodles of real Japanese wrestlers (although with different names), hundreds - thousand + moves, names were editable, attires, etc. Oodles of match types. Seriously you could make about any real life wrestler past and present you wanted along with rings from actual wrestling feds.

The only downside is a real steep learning curve and pixelated graphics.

This game....looks like none of that.

[quote name='RollingSkull']You keep using this word trolling. I don't think it means what you think it means.

I considered trolling in this post for mega-irony but I couldn't spin this into a good troll
[/QUOTE]

trolling as on the wiki page:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

a person who just pops in and says something sucks without providing any basis for it is such talk to me. he's just saying it to get attention. basically sniping from afar.

look, I'm not having a position on the game either way. I don't like wrestling games. But I also don't drop into a conversation to say wrestling games suck and then drop out. I'm just playing devil's advocate. I'm all about standing behind what you say. So it irritates me when people just pop off without having a basis for it.

it doesn't take a lot to make a point. skull and oldschool get it. all it takes is some detail with an argument based on a thought process. like someone could say the controls are too loose or the way the combo system isn't good for chaining together multiple moves or the graphics have way too much pop-in and the framerate goes up and down all the time. a post that just says "it sucks" doesn't do anything.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Come to think of it, I don't believe I've even bothered playing a wrestling game since the SNES. Ha. Not that I wouldn't, I simply haven't.
[/QUOTE]

Same here. Anyone remember that avengers game where you could be spiderman or sub mariner? That's an arcade game I might shell out the traditional 800 asking price.

Not sure why I feel compelled to jump in on this topic, but I agree with Chrono on this. If a thread regular like ooga, chrono gear, eastx, rollingskull, louiedog, etc. just pop in to say a game sucks, I don't really consider it trolling. I have a general idea of what each of those guys like, game-wise, so I can make good estimations from them just saying it sucks. Now if someone named XxCAGizforF4gzxX comes in and says the same thing, that's gonna be trolling.

I will admit that the original comment didn't have a lot of weight to those unfamiliar with ooga or this thread.

EDIT: Wow, just looked to see who posts the most in this thread...maybe I need to evaluate my thoughts a little bit more before posting. lol

[quote name='ooga']I got an early code for Fire Pro Wrestling...the game completely blows...[/QUOTE]
Although expected, it makes me sad that I can't look forward to playing it. I don't really feel like picking a side on this trolling/not trolling thing. I've always found this thread to be above that. I am looking forward to adding the Capt. America and Avengers collection to my Pinball FX2 table list next week though. Glad they are dropping soon as my XBL Gold subscription expires soon and I don't plan on renewing it as the current ESPN app has no value to me.

As someone who refuses to pay for cable, the old version version was a huge part of why I loved XBLGold. I had access to nearly all of the ESPN/ESPN2 schedule through XBL. In late August ESPN decided that only lame ESPN3 content would be available through XBL and their real content would only be viewable through the WatchESPN app (only made available to current cable subscribers to 4-6 providers in the nation). ESPN claims it will come to XBL "later this year" but I'm not holding my breath. This new neutered app of ESPN is all but worthless for me. Although if 3rd tier matches in golf, tennis, soccer, and college football is your thing or you follow Sri Lankan crickett it's probably still great for you. If anyone has any more information on this I would love to hear about it.

P.S. The Nintendo 64 Wrestling games from THQ were so popular in a college dorm that I resided in that the entire 3rd floor had a fictional promotion. It was complete with updated records, standings, and multiple championship belts. Postings in the halls listed who held what belt and with what character and matches had to be "sanctioned" by at least two witnesses. Best multiplayer gaming environment I've ever seen, NOTHING beats old school face-to-face gaming leagues.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Some games just suck because they suck. Every single mechanic in ORC is just terrible from tip to toenails. Nothing works. It all sucks.
[/QUOTE]

ORC = Operation Raccoon City?... These acronyms always kill me if I can't figure them out from context....

[quote name='chuckie88']Although expected, it makes me sad that I can't look forward to playing it. I don't really feel like picking a side on this trolling/not trolling thing. I've always found this thread to be above that. I am looking forward to adding the Capt. America and Avengers collection to my Pinball FX2 table list next week though. Glad they are dropping soon as my XBL Gold subscription expires soon and I don't plan on renewing it as the current ESPN app has no value to me.

As someone who refuses to pay for cable, the old version version was a huge part of why I loved XBLGold. I had access to nearly all of the ESPN/ESPN2 schedule through XBL. In late August ESPN decided that only lame ESPN3 content would be available through XBL and their real content would only be viewable through the WatchESPN app (only made available to current cable subscribers to 4-6 providers in the nation). ESPN claims it will come to XBL "later this year" but I'm not holding my breath. This new neutered app of ESPN is all but worthless for me. Although if 3rd tier matches in golf, tennis, soccer, and college football is your thing or you follow Sri Lankan crickett it's probably still great for you. If anyone has any more information on this I would love to hear about it.

P.S. The Nintendo 64 Wrestling games from THQ were so popular in a college dorm that I resided in that the entire 3rd floor had a fictional promotion. It was complete with updated records, standings, and multiple championship belts. Postings in the halls listed who held what belt and with what character and matches had to be "sanctioned" by at least two witnesses. Best gaming multiplayer gaming environment I've ever seen, NOTHING beats old school face-to-face gaming leagues.[/QUOTE]

I actually just found out about the new, gimped ESPN3 on Monday when my friend wanted to watch MNF. It's just as bad online, to get any ESPN3 content online, you have to be a cable subscriber now, not just an internet subscriber. How does that make any sense? I was shocked to find out how worthless ESPN3 had become.

[quote name='seppuku']ORC = Operation Raccoon City?... These acronyms always kill me if I can't figure them out from context....[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's the game he's referring to. I know what you mean, I have a tough time with the acronyms too, especially for genres of games I'm not that all that into, specifically fighting games, which get acronym'd all the time.

[quote name='dirtyvu']trolling as on the wiki page:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
[/QUOTE]

I believe that pretty much describes your post as well my good sir. At any rate, these off-topic posts are getting out of hand. Back on topic people.

[quote name='tylerh1701']...It's just as bad online, to get any ESPN3 content online, you have to be a cable subscriber now, not just an internet subscriber. How does that make any sense?[/QUOTE]
I found out when I tried to enjoy the first week of college football. I was pretty ticked off, calling and sending emails.

My basic question was always the same: "Your released information states that WatchESPN will be available on Xbox Live sometime later this year, do you have a more concrete date and will it have an additional cost associated with it?"

The ESPN response was always similar also: "Thanks for your feedback, it will be passed along to the appropriate individual. WatchESPN is THE premier place to consume ESPN digital content."

Always nice to have your question ignored so completely. On the phone, after I heard it three times I said, "You aren't even trying to answer my question." The nice woman in Bristol replied, "Well I really don't know at all."

[quote name='tylerh1701']Not sure why I feel compelled to jump in on this topic, but I agree with Chrono on this. If a thread regular like ooga, chrono gear, eastx, rollingskull, louiedog, etc. just pop in to say a game sucks, I don't really consider it trolling. I have a general idea of what each of those guys like, game-wise, so I can make good estimations from them just saying it sucks. Now if someone named XxCAGizforF4gzxX comes in and says the same thing, that's gonna be trolling.

[/QUOTE]

this doesn't make much sense. if it's a friend of yours, then it's not trolling. but if it's a stranger, it is? even if they use the same words? it should be about what is being said, not who is saying it.

anyway, I had my say. All I asked for was for ooga to elaborate to whatever degree he felt like. not just say, it sucks.

[quote name='bajingo']Same here. Anyone remember that avengers game where you could be spiderman or sub mariner? That's an arcade game I might shell out the traditional 800 asking price.[/QUOTE]

That was actually Sega's Spiderman arcade game. Havwkeye and Black Cat were also playable. I'd probably be ok with Sega if they just ported their old arcade releases that never seen a proper console release (Quartet, Planet Harriers, etc) to XBLA.

[quote name='bajingo']Same here. Anyone remember that avengers game where you could be spiderman or sub mariner? That's an arcade game I might shell out the traditional 800 asking price.[/QUOTE]
I agree hoping we get that game remember playing it as a kid at chuck e cheese never did beat it

[quote name='ooga']Unfortunately I don't have any experience with earlier titles. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion so others may feel differently and is based on a relatively short time playing the game. It feels very unpolished and incomplete. The first time I started the game I was thrown directly into a match with "Evil Giant" who just stood there and let me beat him. Not sure what the purpose was, it was not a tutorial. Just some random event. This happened without presenting me with a menu of any sort.
The combat itself is very simplistic and mostly depends on button mashing. You can unlock more moves later, but frankly I lost interest in the game pretty quickly. Character movement is very stiff did not feel natural. Also it seems after a few kicks, my opponent always ended up outside the ring, not sure whats up with that.
Anyway, all this -again- is just my opinion. I would be shocked if many people disagreed with me though. Play the demo on Friday and draw your own conclusions.[/QUOTE]

I got an early copy of the game too and have to agree with a lot this. I never played the original FPW either but I really hope they didn't move this slow or poorly. It really feels like the games just wants you to win grappling matches. Whoever hits the button first wins. Not too many cool moves or attacks. Maybe I'll discover more as I unlock them but at the moment the game really isn't doing it for me.

I thought that being thrown into a match right away was really strange too. Took forever before they let you into a real menu. That was after 3 tutorials and when I finished the 3rd one I had no clue where to go or how to start a real match. Once I figured out that I had to hit the back but several times I found the real menu.

how'd you guys get a code for the game anyway? reviewers or just random freebies? I'm dying to try the game out asap because I am terrible at waiting. that and I'm interested in seeing just how bad it is compared to Fire Pro Z (which is still my favorite).

[quote name='CDiablo']Dont know if I should still be posting this in this thread but here is the list of Midway Arcade Origins games. It looks as if these games are not the XBLA originals. Man I wish I had a XBLA copy of Smash TV I want that badge.[/QUOTE]

Holy sh*t! That's an awesome collection! I'm going to pre-order that for sure. Need that day 1. Some really great classic games on there.

[quote name='crunchewy']Holy sh*t! That's an awesome collection! I'm going to pre-order that for sure. Need that day 1. Some really great classic games on there.[/QUOTE]

Wow, a collection totally ruined by the inclusion of Pit Fighter. Before anyone starts, I was just kidding. The game is god awful, but including it certainly does not take away from the other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back