XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='aaronrodgers']Doesn't Trine 2 have a bunch of DLC to purchase? It's why I'm hesitant to buy it, when the Wii U is supposed to have all that included, plus a bunch of enhanced new stuff.[/QUOTE]

The DLC you mentioned for Trine 2 is only available for the PC and the Wii U. It is unlikely to come to any other consoles.

Though i would caution you that yes it does have more content on the Wii U but if you're at all interested in online play with it then the Wii U is likely a bad bet as I heard that there's not one soul ever on there playing Trine 2. I'm not sure if it's much better on Xbox, being an older game, but I'm sure you'd have a lot better luck online there. So it does depend on what you're looking for. Also the Magic Mayhem mode that was promised with the Wii U title didn't arrive at launch, with no idea of when it might be updated. Not sure if it'll be part of the update Frozenbyte promised would come out mid-December which was meant to fix the gamma problem the game had, not sure if that update has come out either. But IMHO as it stands basically the Wii U version is the Xbox version with the PC DLC. It's $20 vs $5 though which as a CAG seals the deal for me. Also note that you're looking at close to a 2GB download on the Wii U so if you were planning on planting it onto your harddrive room will likely be tight.

By the way has anyone had issues buying Rayman Origins? It shows as $9.99 on the page but when I go to pay it shows up as $19.99. Annoys me as I've moved to Australia with my North American Xbox and the PAL disc is region-locked so I can't buy it from a store here.

[quote name='rapsodist']I think those of you who don't like Fez may be missing the point. You can certainly judge it as something not worth your time, but take care in how you make that judgement. I'd hazard a guess that you first seek and prioritize complexity and innovation in your gameplay, as most do naturally. Fez is made for gamers who are looking for an altogether different sort of game--something simple but pure in its existence and experience.

For example, a Christopher Nolan or J. J. Abrams movie is something great that I can recommend to everybody because it represents the best of all aspects of filmmaking and entertainment, but I'd take care in whom I recommend a Wim Wenders or Terence Malick film. The latter directors make great films but they're not for everyone. And that's the thing: great art doesn't have to be for everyone. This sort of distinction is something that's largely lacking in the gaming community; we're still tied to the idea that a game's worth is based solely on whether we like it or not and whether we think everyone else will like it, too. Yes, games should be fun, but we should also try to think about games as more than entertainment and examine them using the same methodology we apply to other media (e.g. critical theory and art movements).

Anyway, I think I've defended and spoken more about Fez than I've ever intended to. :lol:[/QUOTE]

:applause: Excellent analogy. I bought FEZ at launch and don't regret it. It's a great game.

To my surprise I'm passing on a few of the games I thought I was going to buy like Frogger for now. They really should have let us play more than one mode in the trial. RAW was boring and I wished I was playing Torchlight while playing it so I'll stick to that instead. I did buy Joe Danger 2 since I liked the demo and own the first game.

I'm going to play the trials for Mark of the Ninja and Trine 2 but I'm assuming I'll buy both. I'll have to see what else is on sale.

For whoever mentioned passing on RB3 because they like to bring their disc to other people's houses, thank you for reminding me that I do the same. That saved me $10.

[quote name='Cleaner7']:applause: Excellent analogy. I bought FEZ at launch and don't regret it. It's a great game.

To my surprise I'm passing on a few of the games I thought I was going to buy like Frogger for now. They really should have let us play more than one mode in the trial. RAW was boring and I wished I was playing Torchlight while playing it so I'll stick to that instead. I did buy Joe Danger 2 since I liked the demo and own the first game.

I'm going to play the trials for Mark of the Ninja and Trine 2 but I'm assuming I'll buy both. I'll have to see what else is on sale.

For whoever mentioned passing on RB3 because they like to bring their disc to other people's houses, thank you for reminding me that I do the same. That saved me $10.[/QUOTE]

For RB3 you could always just throw the game and DLC on a USB stick, that's what I did.

Damn, these deals are excellent. Shame i already got all of these before.

At least downloaded the new Trials Evo dlc - Riders of Doom. A lot of content for just 400msp, but boy, they sure are raised up time requirements for Gold and Platinum medals. Much harder than base game and first dlc pack.

[quote name='skonson']The DLC you mentioned for Trine 2 is only
By the way has anyone had issues buying Rayman Origins? It shows as $9.99 on the page but when I go to pay it shows up as $19.99. Annoys me as I've moved to Australia with my North American Xbox and the PAL disc is region-locked so I can't buy it from a store here.[/QUOTE]

I'm having the same issue, I'm in Canada. it shows 9.99 on the website, when I go to purchase, BAM 19.99.

EDIT: Noticed when I change it from en-us to en-ca, it shows as 19.99, I guess they don't want my money.

Insta-bought Mark of the Ninja, I'll download the Fez demo at home to make up my mind...
One question: how is the SmartGlass implementation in Mark of the Ninja? I saw something to download through the app in the game's page, so I was wondering if you can use your portable device to display maps, inventory or the like... that would be very cool :)

Everybody should play Mark of the Ninja, even if you don't like stealth games. The reason being because the reason you might not like stealth games is because they're usually bad. This one is not.

[quote name='skonson']The DLC you mentioned for Trine 2 is only available for the PC and the Wii U. It is unlikely to come to any other consoles.

Though i would caution you that yes it does have more content on the Wii U but if you're at all interested in online play with it then the Wii U is likely a bad bet as I heard that there's not one soul ever on there playing Trine 2. I'm not sure if it's much better on Xbox, being an older game, but I'm sure you'd have a lot better luck online there. So it does depend on what you're looking for. Also the Magic Mayhem mode that was promised with the Wii U title didn't arrive at launch, with no idea of when it might be updated. Not sure if it'll be part of the update Frozenbyte promised would come out mid-December which was meant to fix the gamma problem the game had, not sure if that update has come out either. But IMHO as it stands basically the Wii U version is the Xbox version with the PC DLC. It's $20 vs $5 though which as a CAG seals the deal for me. Also note that you're looking at close to a 2GB download on the Wii U so if you were planning on planting it onto your harddrive room will likely be tight.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info. It'd just be my brother and I playing, so we wouldn't have trouble finding a co-op partner, and we have the 32 Black Wii U. I'll wait for that one. :D

got mark of the ninja as well... i think i'm done for the shopping season. picked up serious sam 3, rock band 3, assassin's creed 2 at the last sale, and now mark of the ninja. might pick up some fruit ninja dlc.

i'm at the point that my 250 GB is maxed out with DLC. almost no game installs. pretty sad. i don't want to be in a situation where i'm deleting a 5GB GoD in order to download a 4GB GoD.

[quote name='dirtyvu']got mark of the ninja as well... i think i'm done for the shopping season. picked up serious sam 3, rock band 3, assassin's creed 2 at the last sale, and now mark of the ninja. might pick up some fruit ninja dlc.

i'm at the point that my 250 GB is maxed out with DLC. almost no game installs. pretty sad. i don't want to be in a situation where i'm deleting a 5GB GoD in order to download a 4GB GoD.[/QUOTE]
That is insane. I can't believe your 250 GB is maxed out...mines is about 186 GB free lol.

[quote name='TommyLove']That is insane. I can't believe your 250 GB is maxed out...mines is about 186 GB free lol.[/QUOTE]

Mine's somewhere around 180.

Considering Mark of the Ninja....somebody push me over the edge!

I picked Fez, and damned myself for not waiting until today to get Trine2. I payed full price a year ago for Trine2, good game, but if I knew it would be on sale in a single year for 400MSP...

Just Fez for me (already have Hell Yeah, SA2, & Rayman 3). Already ran into a bug in the game, where I walked into an area & it booted me back to the dash for no reason. Sure hope I don't get anything worse, considering I heard some were game crashing.

[quote name='Zonic505']Just Fez for me (already have Hell Yeah, SA2, & Rayman 3). Already ran into a bug in the game, where I walked into an area & it booted me back to the dash for no reason. Sure hope I don't get anything worse, considering I heard some were game crashing.[/QUOTE]

Is rayman 3 good/worth playing even though I have a backlog?

I already have everything else good from the sale (Fez, Hell Yeah, Mark of the Ninja) but Trine 2 at 400 points caught my eye. I have a ridiculous backlog but the demo was interesting enough, especially for $5. Decisions, decisions....

[quote name='Felder71']I already have everything else good from the sale (Fez, Hell Yeah, Mark of the Ninja) but Trine 2 at 400 points caught my eye. I have a ridiculous backlog but the demo was interesting enough, especially for $5. Decisions, decisions....[/QUOTE]
Trine2 is a good, beautiful game. Also, the achievements are pretty easy. For that price is a steal.

I think the best way to judge a game (short of playing it yourself) is to watch someone you know/trust play it. I suggest checking out the Giant Bomb Quick Look of Mark of the Ninja is you're still on the fence.

(For the record, I'm picking it up based on the QL).

Picking up Fez and Mark of the Ninja, will try the demo of Trine 2.

I'm also curious about Rayman 3. I like the series but I've heard you can't go back and replay old levels. Can someone confirm/deny this and give an opinion on this game?

[quote name='dark_inchworm']
Says the bloke whose nearly every post in the other thread about this sale was a smartassed, unhelpful response... :p But don't worry, I might find it ever so slightly endearing.[/QUOTE]

Tyler's not a troll, dude.

[quote name='shinn']yeah everyone on here is going on about fez, i took a look at it and laughed out loud, what a crap looking game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Stellar Inertia']Its not just the graphics the trial was boring as hell and I prefer games with more than a couple buttons being used. To me no classic games age well. As much as I would like to play Streets of Rage, Sonic classics, Fez, among others.....its just not happening since they are boring as hell and have no skill involved just luck.[/QUOTE]

You two should comment less. Especially Stellar - nearly everything you've said has caused me to wince in pain. if you're not a troll, you have really uninformed opinions and a lack of respect for older games that hardly any gamers would agree with.

Picked up Trine 2 without hesitation. I held back on it last time it was on sale so I'm happy to get it for even cheaper this time around.

Going to hold off on Mark of the Ninja. I'm sure it'll be on sale again (Humble Bundle perhaps?) and maybe by then I can actually complete all the other XBLA games I have stored up. You know you have a lot of XBLA games when you have to go to the purchase page just to check to see if you've already purchased it. I almost bought Rayman 3 HD again this morning.

[quote name='I Throw Tanks']I plan on buying everything besides Rayman Origin and Sonic Adventure 2 are the games worth it?[/QUOTE]

If you pass on Rayman, you're making a mistake. That game is fucking awesome.

[quote name='Blaster man']Is rayman 3 good/worth playing even though I have a backlog?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Curlis']I'm also curious about Rayman 3. I like the series but I've heard you can't go back and replay old levels. Can someone confirm/deny this and give an opinion on this game?[/QUOTE]I would say it depends on if you liked Rayman 2/Rayman in 3D in general. I didn't get far (a little past the demo's end, I should really go back to it someday), but from what I played, it was decent enough. & there's a chapter select, so you can go back & replay levels.

[quote name='Curlis']Picking up Fez and Mark of the Ninja, will try the demo of Trine 2.

I'm also curious about Rayman 3. I like the series but I've heard you can't go back and replay old levels. Can someone confirm/deny this and give an opinion on this game?[/QUOTE]

You can replay levels.

As for my very short opinion, I quiet enjoy it. It looks great, though the camera is really bad.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']If you pass on Rayman, you're making a mistake. That game is fucking awesome.[/QUOTE]
My issue is it's 5.6 GB and I'm running out of room. Since its MSRP is only $20, I think I'll just try to hold out for a sale on the physical disc.

Although with Target points I'd only be paying $5 in real money for the digital version... hmm, decisions, decisions.

[quote name='TommyLove']That is insane. I can't believe your 250 GB is maxed out...mines is about 186 GB free lol.[/QUOTE]

Mine has about 20 Gig free with only one game installed. Damn you MS for not releasing a 500 Gig drive. And I do realize that you can rig your own 3rd party HD, but am too lazy to do it.

[quote name='DomLando']Anyone have any thoughts on HELL YEAH! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit?[/QUOTE]

It's fun in bite size playing sessions. The "finish off the boss" mini games are absolutely hilarious. You'll probably get your money's worth from it.

[quote name='DomLando']Anyone have any thoughts on HELL YEAH! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit?[/QUOTE]

Pass, it's all style and no substance. The gameplay is surprisingly bland.

Here is my Hell Yeah review. I would not call it bland at all, though it's too linear for a Metroidvania game.

[quote name='ooga']Mine has about 20 Gig free with only one game installed. Damn you MS for not releasing a 500 Gig drive. And I do realize that you can rig your own 3rd party HD, but am too lazy to do it.[/QUOTE]

Third-party hard drives only go up to 320 GB, the current maximum size of 1st party drives. I'm rocking a 7200 RPM 320 GB drive and games load faster than on a regular HDD, which is nice.

[quote name='SonicXtreme']I wouldn't say better. some of them are just challenges. some of them are like, a sort of 'paint the board' type things, they might add a little spice to multiplayer but in single player i wouldn't say they add too much.

also load times are really bad and freezes/glitches run rampant, it's the only arcade game i'm genuinely pissed they never patched (since my fez game has seemingly gone unscrewed up lol). can i recommend it any less? the art style and aesthetics are really cool. which is how i got suckered into buying it lol but if i could swap it for the barebones arcade port on xbla i would in a second, the load times are just stupid for a 'pickup for 5 minutes then do something else' game like this and it just freezes/glitches too darn much. but i'm a sucker for art/aesthetics so i bought day 1 before message board topics about glitches and freezes were at my disposal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was surprised how long the load times were in the trial. I'll definitely be on the fence on this one.

[quote name='Cleaner7']To my surprise I'm passing on a few of the games I thought I was going to buy like Frogger for now. They really should have let us play more than one mode in the trial. RAW was boring and I wished I was playing Torchlight while playing it so I'll stick to that instead. I did buy Joe Danger 2 since I liked the demo and own the first game. [/QUOTE]

I'm just like you. I will be debating Frogger and RAW throughout the sale, when they were first announced I thought I'd buy them for sure. I'd like to hit 2000 MSP for December so I can get the 100 points back, more than likely the Borderlands 2 Season Pass will get me there, unless it's not discounted enough for me to want to pick it up.

[quote name='Zonic505']Just Fez for me (already have Hell Yeah, SA2, & Rayman 3). Already ran into a bug in the game, where I walked into an area & it booted me back to the dash for no reason. Sure hope I don't get anything worse, considering I heard some were game crashing.[/QUOTE]

You were booted back to the dash? Early in the game there is a fake game crash, but I didn't think it booted you all the way back to the dash. That's odd.

As for glitches on Fez, I definitely ran into serious stuttering when I started transitioning rooms in the later levels, but I don't think the game ever crashed on me. It did, however, delete my save file. But that was after I had 200/200 it so I don't really care.

Gameplay is a tiny bit bland, but it's still a good action platformer and I'd say it's worth 600 MSP.

[quote name='topplehat']Pass, it's all style and no substance. The gameplay is surprisingly bland.[/QUOTE]

That was my thought from the demo. Trying too hard to be funny with really annoying, childish, and over the top humor. Might have found it fun when I was 12. Hell Yeah just didnt work for me at all.

I bought mark of the ninja right away. I would have been happy at 800 for it, at 600 you couldn't stop me from grabbing it! Also nabbed rayman origins. Tried the demo at target and really liked it.

Tried the fez and trine 2 demos again. I wasnt super impressed with either demos a while back. Fez got me this time. The music is very haunting and beautiful and the gameplay makea you think while still being a relaxing and fun experience.

Trine 2 still bored me so I will pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']Third-party hard drives only go up to 320 GB, the current maximum size of 1st party drives. I'm rocking a 7200 RPM 320 GB drive and games load faster than on a regular HDD, which is nice.[/QUOTE]

I want a TB. At least.

I had to uninstall every disc game last night to free up enough space on my 250 for this sale.

[quote name='metallicoholic']Picked up Trine 2 without hesitation. I held back on it last time it was on sale so I'm happy to get it for even cheaper this time around.

Going to hold off on Mark of the Ninja. I'm sure it'll be on sale again (Humble Bundle perhaps?) and maybe by then I can actually complete all the other XBLA games I have stored up. You know you have a lot of XBLA games when you have to go to the purchase page just to check to see if you've already purchased it. I almost bought Rayman 3 HD again this morning.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I did the same but by complete accident. I got the trial of Trine 2 and bought it immediately after without even thinking. I also downloaded all the other trials, I might end up getting everything but Sonic.

So this morning I queued up Fez, Mark of the Ninja, Hell Yeah and Trine 2.
These sales are awesome. I can't wait until Friday after work. I going to have a lot to play during my vacation.

Seeing Joe Danger 2 on sale reminds me that I still have my code I won from the Raptr giveaway earlier this year. I'll probably end up redeeming it since I couldn't get that much for it now anyway.

Just bought Joe Danger 2, Trine 2 and Fez. If anything else comes up that I can't pass up, then I'll have to use some Gamestop credit to get another 1600 MSP card.

[quote name='Gabrius']I want a TB. At least.

I had to uninstall every disc game last night to free up enough space on my 250 for this sale.[/QUOTE]

We should start a club. I deleted all of my disc games with the exception of one and I still am dangerously close to filling up my 250. And my disc drive is starting to get real loud when discs are in

[quote name='metallicoholic']Picked up Trine 2 without hesitation. I held back on it last time it was on sale so I'm happy to get it for even cheaper this time around.

Going to hold off on Mark of the Ninja. I'm sure it'll be on sale again (Humble Bundle perhaps?) and maybe by then I can actually complete all the other XBLA games I have stored up. You know you have a lot of XBLA games when you have to go to the purchase page just to check to see if you've already purchased it. I almost bought Rayman 3 HD again this morning.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I haven't gotten there yet, but I definitely need to start playing my XBLA games more. I'm going to hold off on Mark of the Ninja myself, I'm sure it will see many future sales even if its priced at 800 instead of 600.

For these sales it looks like RAW, Fez, and Deadlight are the games for me. I already picked up RAW because I'm in a dungeon crawler phase, and I'm debating whether or not to pick up Fez. I like the design, we'll see. Deadlight is reminiscent of Flashback and Out of this World, I always loved those type of games, so I'll pick this one up even if it's not as good as those classics.

Mark of the Ninja is a solid game of the year contender. Anyone on the fence should pick it up. Considering how uninspired the Shank games were, I was shocked to see the same studio put out Ninja. They solved almost all of the issues that make stealth games sound cool in principle and end up boring or frustrating in practice. With my 500+ game backlog, I almost never replay games once I finish them, but as soon as I finished Ninja, I started replaying it to get all the achievements and extend my time with the game.

[quote name='Stellar Inertia']Its not just the graphics the trial was boring as hell and I prefer games with more than a couple buttons being used. To me no classic games age well. As much as I would like to play Streets of Rage, Sonic classics, Fez, among others.....its just not happening since they are boring as hell and have no skill involved just luck.[/QUOTE]

Actually, older games required much more skill. It may seem like luck to those that never took the time to become good at them. I can dig that you don't enjoy certain types of games but to state they require no skill is a bit ignorant.

Nobody cares about Fez.

Mark the Ninja however is one of the finest stealth games ever. The only excuse you have not to buy it is you're waiting for a bigger sale or you have it on PC.

Or you didn't like the demo, which is unconscionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back