XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
What... now Fish announces Fez is coming to other platformers after the 360 sale.

[quote name='simmias']Yup, I had the same issue. I also had the brightness issue a lot of people get where I had to keep going in to adjust it because it would get darker and darker every time I came back to the game.[/QUOTE]
Whoa! I'm glad I didn't get that progressive dark screen. Did you fix it through monitor bright adjustment or the game has an option for that?

[quote name='bardockkun']Was it during
the scene where you started up the train and everyone was getting on board? Because I had the same problem at that area.
[/QUOTE]
Yep, that's the scene. It seems that has happened to all three of us, so must be a bug that they couldn't solve. It's a minor problem fortunately.

Yeah, the game gets ridiculously hard to see no matter how you adjust brightness as well. It was especially a problem during episode 4, but I didn't die or anything from it, but it was just an inconvenience.

I don't recall seeing it mentioned in the topic (and a search turned up nothing), though I did see an article eastx wrote about it, Double Fine's Happy Action Theater was delisted from the marketplace. I know some here like to keep track of such things. Unlike Pinball FX, at least there's no DLC to prevent those with the game in their backlog from being able to complete the achievements.

On a related note, the Kinect Party base game and full unlock downloads still show as free on xbox.com. Thought that was only supposed to last until the countdown sale ended.

[quote name='Bloomy']I don't recall seeing it mentioned in the topic (and a search turned up nothing), though I did see an article eastx wrote about it, Double Fine's Happy Action Theater was delisted from the marketplace. I know some here like to keep track of such things. Unlike Pinball FX, at least there's no DLC to prevent those with the game in their backlog from being able to complete the achievements.[/QUOTE]

That's a huge bummer. One more reason not to bother getting a Kinect I guess.

There's always people here who hate great games, it doesn't make sense. It's mainly why I don't believe all the negative reviews here.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']That's a huge bummer. One more reason not to bother getting a Kinect I guess.[/QUOTE]

All the games on Happy Action Theater are in Kinect Party which was free before the first of the year.

[quote name='megma42']All the games on Happy Action Theater are in Kinect Party which was free before the first of the year.[/QUOTE]

Different set of achievements? Love me some fun/easy achievements. And of course I downloaded Kinect Party since it was free. Might as well just in case right?

Also, finally got the code I was working last night in Fez to work. Took a couple more tries. I guess my system wasn't registering my button presses correctly.

The CAG in me is disappointed in this weeks sale. The gamer in me is saying 'wtf is wrong with you, you just bought 6000 msp worth of 50% off games! The backlog is incredible.'

As for the whole Fish thing, I am happy to say that I have the ability to differentiate a game itself and the personality(s) that creates them. Especially for 400 msp ;).

[quote name='Shifty Effect']
As for the whole Fish thing, I am happy to say that I have the ability to differentiate a game itself and the personality(s) that creates them. Especially for 400 msp ;).[/QUOTE]

Please don't get this started again. That last post above was a different subject, he was bummed it was announced for other platforms after he bought it on 360 when it was thought that'd be the only platform.

Nothing to do with the like/hate Fish, support/not support Fez issue that we've been over a million times here, so don't start it again.

I'm excited to hear Fez is coming to other platforms. I'm absolutely having a blast with it the past few days and would love to see an iOS version. I'd imagine it would have to be completely overhauled to work with the control scheme. Essentially a totally new experience. Or so I would expect.

[quote name='eastx']Huh?[/QUOTE]

The game clearly tries to dismiss its references in a wink wink nod response to cynicism over referential humor. It's saying something is lame but continuing to do it anyway.

[quote name='sicsonic']There's always people here who hate great games, it doesn't make sense. It's mainly why I don't believe all the negative reviews here.[/QUOTE]

This is silly. Liking something is entirely subjective to the person. There is NO one game that is great to everyone. When people review things they always do so from their own unique viewpoint.

What makes a game great to you, doesn't have to make it great for me or anyone else. It makes perfect sense.

Austin cag PSA - interesting indie gaming event tomorrow. http://juegosrancheros.com/270/events/dishonored-unfinished-swan-cosmic-dj/

[quote name='biledriver']This is silly. Liking something is entirely subjective to the person. There is NO one game that is great to everyone. When people review things they always do so from their own unique viewpoint.

What makes a game great to you, doesn't have to make it great for me or anyone else. It makes perfect sense.[/QUOTE]

What?

I'm not saying there's games that every single one person is going to like, but the ones that are generally considered "great" among a majority of people are ripped apart on this board like they're TOTAL garbage, worth less then $5, etc. and these are some titles that some legitimate game review sites consider great or even best of the year in some aspects and in terms of downloadable games.

Besides, all I said is I don't take any opinions seriously here because of it, that shouldn't affect you, and I'm not saying you have to like the games. Just saying I won't pass up on games because someone here doesn't like it.

[quote name='Shifty Effect']The CAG in me is disappointed in this weeks sale. The gamer in me is saying 'wtf is wrong with you, you just bought 6000 msp worth of 50% off games! The backlog is incredible.

As for the whole Fish thing, I am happy to say that I have the ability to differentiate a game itself and the personality(s) that creates them. Especially for 400 msp ;).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sicsonic']Please don't get this started again. That last post above was a different subject, he was bummed it was announced for other platforms after he bought it on 360 when it was thought that'd be the only platform.

Nothing to do with the like/hate Fish, support/not support Fez issue that we've been over a million times here, so don't start it again.[/QUOTE]

You could of just ignored the message then, people need to learn to do that. But alas I understand.

[quote name='biledriver']This is silly. Liking something is entirely subjective to the person. There is NO one game that is great to everyone. When people review things they always do so from their own unique viewpoint.

What makes a game great to you, doesn't have to make it great for me or anyone else. It makes perfect sense.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Let me explain...

[quote name='sicsonic']What?

I'm not saying there's games that every single one person is going to like, but the ones that are generally considered "great" among a majority of people are ripped apart on this board like they're TOTAL garbage, worth less then $5, etc. and these are some titles that some legitimate game review sites consider great or even best of the year in some aspects and in terms of downloadable games.

Besides, all I said is I don't take any opinions seriously here because of it, that shouldn't affect you, and I'm not saying you have to like the games. Just saying I won't pass up on games because someone here doesn't like it.[/QUOTE]

Take note that "legitimate game review sites" are paid for their reviews, it's their job. They have been known to have been "influenced" by other parties to give out higher/lower ratings. This still continues to this day, and is a sad part of gaming journalism.

With that being said if you took the rating average as a whole of a particular game and or dig a certain reviewer. Then it's fairly safe to say that is what the game deserves. A good game is a good game. But then you have people on here and all over, that don't agree with certain ratings and glorified reviews. This is as biledriver says is a matter of perspective and preference.

Let me rap this up by saying I love Skyrim, I think that it's a classic worthy of it's praise. Same with most games of the franchise, but that's just my thing. Someone else may not "get" the game, might not like it's mechanics, art style, graphics, gameplay, story etc. etc.

That's just how it is, But do think that overly ripping a game up again and again without mercy is too much, people need restraint.

[quote name='Shifty Effect']
That's just how it is, But do think that overly ripping a game up again and again without mercy is too much, people need restraint.[/QUOTE]

That's all I'm saying.

"Bad" games these days aren't nothing compared to the "bad" retro games of yesteryear. They don't deserved to be ripped apart moreso then those TRULY shitty games of the past.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Got an email about new screenshots for Zeno Clash 2 that also mentions Zeno Clash UE on XBLA will be 50% off this week:

zcii-blast_04.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I got the same e-mail, yet the game is still 800 msp...

[quote name='xbox_man']Retro City is out, but Australia does not get it. Australia screwed again.[/QUOTE]

If you think you'd be camping frequently in the USA's Marketplace for games, then you might look into a VPN solution, where all your traffic is routed & NAT'd through a USA-based switch. Should only be $10 for a very basic plan (and I'm sure "free" options are out there too), and with the right router on tlyour end, you could probably even force your 360's IP traffic to always go through the VPN. Just something to try ...

RE: the EA arcade games ... yes, they were "open" at the time XBLDB found them, but then the went GOLD-only at some point. :whistle2:(

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Got an email about new screenshots for Zeno Clash 2 that also mentions Zeno Clash UE on XBLA will be 50% off this week:

zcii-blast_04.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Maybe next week, then ... since EA seems to have exclusivity this week?

[quote name='rapsodist']The game clearly tries to dismiss its references in a wink wink nod response to cynicism over referential humor. It's saying something is lame but continuing to do it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Would you like to support that with evidence? It sounds like a baseless claim to me.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']That's a huge bummer. One more reason not to bother getting a Kinect I guess.[/QUOTE]

I assume this is already understood, but just in case: there is no downside to Happy Action Theater getting delisted except new users can't get those Achievements any more. Kinect Party completely replaces the original game, with all of the old content plus lots more.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chrono Gear']Different set of achievements? Love me some fun/easy achievements. And of course I downloaded Kinect Party since it was free. Might as well just in case right?[/QUOTE]
Happy Action Theater had 200 easy points, Kinect Party has 400 more easy points. :) Only potentially complicated thing in both games is getting six people together to all play at once.

[quote name='eastx']Would you like to support that with evidence? It sounds like a baseless claim to me.

I assume this is already understood, but just in case: there is no downside to Happy Action Theater getting delisted except new users can't get those Achievements any more. Kinect Party completely replaces the original game, with all of the old content plus lots more.[/QUOTE]

Right, and you get all the HAT games in Kinect Party if you own HAT. I believe the base Kinect Party is free, however I can't verify that as it shows as "purchased" for me.

Before purchasing NBA Jam, can anyone confirm that EA's lousy asses still have those ultra expensive servers up so you can play online? Thanks :)

[quote name='voormis']Before purchasing NBA Jam, can anyone confirm that EA's lousy asses still have those ultra expensive servers up so you can play online? Thanks :)[/QUOTE]
Everything I've read has pointed to the servers staying up for OFE. But with EA, who the hell knows.

[quote name='eastx']Would you like to support that with evidence? It sounds like a baseless claim to me.
[/QUOTE]

I think it is in the Zelda item fetch quests/missions where it asks you after getting several items "These types of quests really suck don't they?" or something along those lines. But of course you still continue doing them in game.

[quote name='simmias']Everything I've read has pointed to the servers staying up for OFE. But with EA, who the hell knows.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate it, just picked it up. Thanks!

[quote name='Camre']I think it is in the Zelda item fetch quests/missions where it asks you after getting several items "These types of quests really suck don't they?" or something along those lines. But of course you still continue doing them in game.[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying. Not every joke can hit the mark with every person, but it is clearly a joke. It's hardly a reason to condemn Retro City Rampage's sense of humor.

[quote name='eastx']I see what you're saying. Not every joke can hit the mark with every person, but it is clearly a joke. It's hardly a reason to condemn Retro City Rampage's sense of humor.[/QUOTE]

As someone who reviews games, your constant telling people their opinions on games are awful is really tedious. They disagree with you from their own perspective, they aren't wrong.

Several professional and unprofessional reviews of this game mentioned the humor being very hit and miss. Just like several agree that Abobo's Big Adventure actually does a lot of things just as well, for free, than Retro City Rampage. I would agree myself with that assessment if I hadn't gotten RCR for free as well.

It's not you job to sit and defend games you like. We have heard that you enjoy it and think it's worth the points. That's great. Now leave people who dislike the game from their own perspective alone. Most of us don't feel the need to come to your site and debate you when we disagree with your reviews.

[quote name='biledriver']As someone who reviews games, your constant telling people their opinions on games are awful is really tedious. They disagree with you from their own perspective, they aren't wrong.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Furthermore, while I'm not gonna single anyone out here, the "so you like (insert game here), that's great, let me tell you in detail for the fifth time why I dislike the game and would never give the developer my money" posts are grating. Yup. You don't like it. We know!

[quote name='biledriver']As someone who reviews games, your constant telling people their opinions on games are awful is really tedious. They disagree with you from their own perspective, they aren't wrong.[/QUOTE]

Et tu, Biledriver? I don't see why I'm not allowed to disagree with someone or engage in a debate with them just because I'm paid to review games.

I do think people should support their opinions with facts, which another person came along and did for the dude who was actually criticizing the game. I never said anyone should find the game's humor funny - just that the example cited is [an innocuous] joke. Whether or not somebody finds the joke funny, surely I'm not the only one who'd rather have games tell jokes instead of not telling them.

[quote name='tylerh1701']No love in this thread today.[/QUOTE]

this is what happens every time when there's no good dotw. We have nothing to hate on but our fellow man. It's sad :cry:

[quote name='eastx']Would you like to support that with evidence? It sounds like a baseless claim to me.[/QUOTE]

The game has moments when it breaks the fourth wall by dismissing the very references it makes. I'm sorry I don't have the exact quote on me, but even in the demo there was a moment when the game said something to the effect of "yet another reference to ____" which shows to me quite clearly that the game's creator is holding this style of comedy in contempt all the while utilizing it. I think that you're misunderstanding me: I don't hate referential humor, but I hate when someone does it while trying to act like they're above it. It's like they're asking me not to laugh.

[quote name='rapsodist']The game has moments when it breaks the fourth wall by dismissing the very references it makes. I'm sorry I don't have the exact quote on me, but even in the demo there was a moment when the game said something to the effect of "yet another reference to ____" which shows to me quite clearly that the game's creator is holding this style of comedy in contempt all the while utilizing it. I think that you're misunderstanding me: I don't hate referential humor, but I hate when someone does it while trying to act like they're above it. It's like they're asking me not to laugh.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the response. Camre listed a pretty good example of what you're talking about... But I suppose we should drop it since a couple of negative Nancies went and got personal.

[quote name='eastx']Appreciate the response. Camre listed a pretty good example of what you're talking about... But I suppose we should drop it since a couple of negative Nancies went and got personal.[/QUOTE]

Sure thing, though I don't mind equanimous arguments and honest questions. Conversations inevitably bring in opinions, and more specifically, differences of opinions. There might not be a point to conversations otherwise!

[quote name='Royal High Knight']this is what happens every time when there's no good dotw. We have nothing to hate on but our fellow man. It's sad :cry:[/QUOTE]

I LOVE YOU ALL... woops did I type that out loud?:whistle2:#

[quote name='Royal High Knight']this is what happens every time when there's no good dotw. We have nothing to hate on but our fellow man. It's sad :cry:[/QUOTE]

Haha. To be fair to MS, I don't think the deals this week are that bad. NFL Blitz and Diabolical Pitch for the first time, NBA Jam down to 600 MSP for the first time, and PQ Galactrix half off for the first time in the S&S app.

If we were guaranteed 3 "first-time" drops every week, I'd be in heaven.

[quote name='mpaullin']Speaking of Puzzle Quest.. these titles worth it? I was tempted to get them all, but I've read bad things about the space one.[/QUOTE]

I played Challenge of the Warlords on my PSP and was hooked for a while. It's definitely a great puzzle series, but I don't think I'd play it on a TV.

[quote name='mpaullin']Speaking of Puzzle Quest.. these titles worth it? I was tempted to get them all, but I've read bad things about the space one.[/QUOTE]

Yes, 1 & 2 are good. Galactix did not click with me.

The original Puzzle Quest is great, one of my all-time favorites, but it can get annoyingly hard near the end on normal difficulty.

Something went wrong with Puzzle Quest 2 though. It's technically a very good game, if you get into it there's probably a good 100 hours of content there, but it never grabbed me like the first game.

I actually put more time into Puzzle Quest Galactrix than PQ2. The gameplay is different, but still enjoyable, and it feels more like the first Puzzle Quest. Again though, the AI can be extremely cheap, which made it less fun for me.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Haha. To be fair to MS, I don't think the deals this week are that bad. NFL Blitz and Diabolical Pitch for the first time, NBA Jam down to 600 MSP for the first time, and PQ Galactrix half off for the first time in the S&S app.

If we were guaranteed 3 "first-time" drops every week, I'd be in heaven.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of which, you can now update the list you have in your signature! Thanks for putting that there by the way, it always interests me to see which games have never been put on sale. Have you ever considered going back further than 2010? I assume it would take forever to gather that data though (if its even available).

I love this title but can only play in short bursts. I find the game play ( puzzles) extremely repetitive. You have to do the same puzzle(s) to get to a location to just do the same puzzle once you get to your destination. I will finish it but it will be awhile. Curious if others feel this way-

[quote name='chipper_95']Speaking of which, you can now update the list you have in your signature! Thanks for putting that there by the way, it always interests me to see which games have never been put on sale. Have you ever considered going back further than 2010? I assume it would take forever to gather that data though (if its even available).[/QUOTE]

I have considered it, but I probably won't go through with it. The reason I started the list in 2010 is because I got a 360 in September 2009 and starting paying attention to XBLA and DotW in early 2010. So I'm familiar with most of the games and sales that have occurred since then, and was able to put the vast majority of the list together based on memory. If I was to go back to 2009 and earlier, I'd basically have to consult xbldb.com for every game and it would take quite a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back