XBLA - Bomberman LIVE - 800pts - Bomb Up Pack 3 Now Up

[quote name='eastx']Well, I made it to the second round of the tournament. There will be one round a day through Friday, when the finals take place. The top 3 players per game move on to the next round, then the finals have a single winner and five runners-up.

I thought I was a shoe-in to be the in the top 3 overall players, but I've encountered a problem... Cheating of a sort. In today's match, there was a player short-fusing bombs. Short-fusing is a "strategy" unique to Bomberman Live in which a player lays a bomb, stands on it for two seconds, and then uses the Power Glove to pick it up. When he throws the bomb, it will explode instantly upon landing. So if he throws the bomb on you, or anywhere near you, then you will die. Instantly. That makes Power Glove the single most overpowered item in the game. This evil strategy cannot be done in any other Bomberman game, ever.

"So what? You can short fuse too," you may be thinking. Well, that's like saying it doesn't matter if I use standby in Halo 2 because other people can do it as well. Cheating is cheating. Bomberman is meant to be a strategic multiplayer game, not a race to one particular item and then instant victory.

I've been practicing all week, hardcore, and do you think I got to use any of my strategies in the match? No way. The short fuser, LeapFrog, simply got the Power Glove and killed every player off very soon after the start of each round.
The end results were Leapfrog - 3 wins, me - 1 win (the one time he was unable to get a Power Glove), and everyone else - 0 wins. Is Leapfrog a good player? No way, without the Power Glove he had absolutely no strategy. He simply learned an exploit and never bothered to develop real Bomberman skills.

Now, my question is: does anyone have advice for battling against a short-fuser? Some say you should stay close to him (which seems to expose you to the chance of his bombs landing on you), while others say to stay far away (which prevents you from attacking him, and introduces the chance of him attacking by throwing the bomb off-screen). Yes, I realize I may have to do some short fusing myself if I want to stay competitive. Ugh. But what if I can't get a Power Glove before this guy? I've got to have a strategy worked out. I play against him again Tuesday; hopefully I'll be able to stay in the top 3 and move on. Any advice is appreciated!

Oh, and Dufus is right. The solution to keeping the match entertaining is just to stay alive. With Revenge turned on, the player has to worry about the players outside the ring when he should be focused on the players inside the ring. You can hardly attack the other living players because you have to dodge a ton of shots from the dead players. It is very annoying.[/QUOTE]

I may not be able to help, but wanted to say thanks for explaining that exploit to me. I've been killed in that manner and always wondered why the bomb exploded so soon. Also, I think I've played that Leapfrog guy before...

[quote name='eastx']Well, I made it to the second round of the tournament. There will be one round a day through Friday, when the finals take place. The top 3 players per game move on to the next round, then the finals have a single winner and five runners-up.

I thought I was a shoe-in to be the in the top 3 overall players, but I've encountered a problem... Cheating of a sort. In today's match, there was a player short-fusing bombs. Short-fusing is a "strategy" unique to Bomberman Live in which a player lays a bomb, stands on it for two seconds, and then uses the Power Glove to pick it up. When he throws the bomb, it will explode instantly upon landing. So if he throws the bomb on you, or anywhere near you, then you will die. Instantly. That makes Power Glove the single most overpowered item in the game. This evil strategy cannot be done in any other Bomberman game, ever.

"So what? You can short fuse too," you may be thinking. Well, that's like saying it doesn't matter if I use standby in Halo 2 because other people can do it as well. Cheating is cheating. Bomberman is meant to be a strategic multiplayer game, not a race to one particular item and then instant victory.

I've been practicing all week, hardcore, and do you think I got to use any of my strategies in the match? No way. The short fuser, LeapFrog, simply got the Power Glove and killed every player off very soon after the start of each round.
The end results were Leapfrog - 3 wins, me - 1 win (the one time he was unable to get a Power Glove), and everyone else - 0 wins. Is Leapfrog a good player? No way, without the Power Glove he had absolutely no strategy. He simply learned an exploit and never bothered to develop real Bomberman skills.

Now, my question is: does anyone have advice for battling against a short-fuser? Some say you should stay close to him (which seems to expose you to the chance of his bombs landing on you), while others say to stay far away (which prevents you from attacking him, and introduces the chance of him attacking by throwing the bomb off-screen). Yes, I realize I may have to do some short fusing myself if I want to stay competitive. Ugh. But what if I can't get a Power Glove before this guy? I've got to have a strategy worked out. I play against him again Tuesday; hopefully I'll be able to stay in the top 3 and move on. Any advice is appreciated!

Oh, and Dufus is right. The solution to keeping the match entertaining is just to stay alive. With Revenge turned on, the player has to worry about the players outside the ring when he should be focused on the players inside the ring. You can hardly attack the other living players because you have to dodge a ton of shots from the dead players. It is very annoying.[/quote]
The way I handle people like this is by either kicking the power bomb at them, causing them to drop the short fused bomb and blowing themselves up. Or by throwing a billion non shortfused bombs at them. If I hit them on the head, it causes them to drop the bomb and the blow themselves up. Also, I usually have time to hit them a 2nd time right after before they have time to recover, that will kill them.

I have used other ways to fight them, such as the beloved land mine (step on them to set them off, then run and plant another bomb next to them, this can also be done with bombs) and remote mines, but first two seem to be the most effective. It you have the kick, you can also just start kicking a ton of bombs down each isle, it usually confused people and they make mistakes, especially if one of those bombs is a power bomb or death bomb.

If they have the glove in the beginning, I usually try to stay away until I find something useful to fight them. Also, if they are still slow and trying to short fuse, finish them off before they get speed, or take all the speed. I also seem to target these people and head straight for them in the beginning of the round.

Dufus, you are my hero. That is such great advice. I rarely pick up the P Bomb because I prefer Penetrating Bombs, but that sounds like a good reason to go after it. Of course, there's usually just one Kick Bombs on the map, isn't there? So I can't count on a kick bomb defense, even though it sounds good.

Avoiding him until I get something good (and hopefully more speed than he has) will be my main plan. The Revenge carts are going to complicate this strategy, but what else can I do?
I have been so worried that spending money to join the tournament would be for nothing. Now I have hope!

[quote name='eastx']Dufus, you are my hero. That is such great advice. I rarely pick up the P Bomb because I prefer Penetrating Bombs, but that sounds like a good reason to go after it. Of course, there's usually just one Kick Bombs on the map, isn't there? So I can't count on a kick bomb defense, even though it sounds good.

Avoiding him until I get something good (and hopefully more speed than he has) will be my main plan. The Revenge carts are going to complicate this strategy, but what else can I do?
I have been so worried that spending money to join the tournament would be for nothing. Now I have hope![/QUOTE]

Just accepted your friend request :)

[quote name='eastx']Dufus, you are my hero. That is such great advice. I rarely pick up the P Bomb because I prefer Penetrating Bombs, but that sounds like a good reason to go after it. Of course, there's usually just one Kick Bombs on the map, isn't there? So I can't count on a kick bomb defense, even though it sounds good.

I have been so worried that spending money to join the tournament would be for nothing. Now I have hope![/quote]

Use the unfused bomb throw, there are three gloves.

I'm just about to get on ~20min, I'll add you as a friend

Wow! The site is back. It died before I could update my progress any further.

Day four (out of five) ended it all.

After sleeping only 2-3 hours a day for an entire week, I was in poor shape for the semifinals match on day four. I'd been enduring the worst bout of insomnia in my life! The competition was fierce that night, and mostly due to tiredness, I played one of my worst games ever. It's funny, I picked up a new bed earlier that day, but I hadn't had a chance to sleep on it yet. After the match that night, my bed really helped me get some rest. Too late for the tournament though... I sure hope there's a future tourney.

Also, Revenge sucks!!!

Thanks everyone that helped me practice and cheered me on. Maybe someday I can show you how I really play.

bread's done
Back