XBLA - Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Grinding Ch. 7 paid off for me last night with my first Valmanway :)

Any luck after I left dew? Or is back to the grind tonight? I'm down either way ;)

The random that we had last night in the chat was cracking me up. He stuck with us that whole time. Pretty cool to find a random XBL user with a sense of humor... I might have to add him to my friends list.

[quote name='sp8001']Grinding Ch. 7 paid off for me last night with my first Valmanway :)

Any luck after I left dew? Or is back to the grind tonight? I'm down either way ;)

The random that we had last night in the chat was cracking me up. He stuck with us that whole time. Pretty cool to find a random XBL user with a sense of humor... I might have to add him to my friends list.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I played with him a few more rounds before calling it a night, he's in the crew for sure. No Valmanway for me, so yes the grind is on tonight! We can change things up of course, but I'm still pretty determined to get that sword. Glad at least one of us did last night.

Got pretty lucky tonight... Picked up a random 5 star drop on Ch. 3 Hard. Then scored a Miser Ring on Ch. 7 :) I played another couple rounds of Ch. 7 after we finished. I was in a group of 3 and we were rocking the stage beating it in less than 2 and a half mins every time. On about our 7th run, I was awarded with my 2nd pair of wing boots and another guy on the team scored a miser ring for himself as well.

[quote name='bsmiff']Who got the second Miser Ring after I bailed? Tell me it was Comfyside![/QUOTE]

Comfy was gone too... It was just some random. I think from Japan.

I think rare drops are affected by speed, so beating the level quickly over and over should net you some pretty rare stuff.

So after grinding chapter 7 the past two nights for hours and only coming up with one Valmanway, I decided I'd give it another quick run with randoms during my lunch break today.

I'm with four Soma blenders and a Richter. We get up to the boss room in about two minutes. Richter holds the button down while all the Somas jump in and go crazy with their Valmanways. Three of them die and escape.

I botch misting through her charm near the doorway and fall outside. Richter kills me, then jumps inside the boss room and dies almost instantly. One Soma left still tapping her for 1 damage over and over with the Val.

We're like ten minutes into the round, I'm late for work, but I hold tight to see if he wins and what I get out of it. Guy managed to beat her eventually with a sliver of health left, and lo and behold I got a Miser Ring!

A couple of the guys clicked on their mics to rage. Good times.

[quote name='bsmiff']So after grinding chapter 7 the past two nights for hours and only coming up with one Valmanway, I decided I'd give it another quick run with randoms during my lunch break today.

I'm with four Soma blenders and a Richter. We get up to the boss room in about two minutes. Richter holds the button down while all the Somas jump in and go crazy with their Valmanways. Three of them die and escape.

I botch misting through her charm near the doorway and fall outside. Richter kills me, then jumps inside the boss room and dies almost instantly. One Soma left still tapping her for 1 damage over and over with the Val.

We're like ten minutes into the round, I'm late for work, but I hold tight to see if he wins and what I get out of it. Guy managed to beat her eventually with a sliver of health left, and lo and behold I got a Miser Ring!

A couple of the guys clicked on their mics to rage. Good times.[/QUOTE]

Why did they all stick with their Vals in the first place? There's an equip station right below the boss room. But anyway, congratulations on the miser ring!

[quote name='notorious_pip']Why did they all stick with their Vals in the first place? There's an equip station right below the boss room. But anyway, congratulations on the miser ring![/QUOTE]

I don't know man, it's like they don't realize it's doing crap damage. Shit with all the flurry of Val wind in that room I don't think anyone could realize anything haha.

[quote name='Beastmangler']I want to join. I don't have a mic though.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I sent you a friend request on Xbox Live. You should play with us sometime. It seems like there are at least a couple people on playing from 5 p.m. PST to midnight PST. Send us a message if you see any of us on.

It was fun playing a couple rounds with you last night, KGSoloman8000. Sorry I had to bail early, but an early job and late gaming don't mix too well.

It looks like you're getting Chapter 9 down pretty well. We should all start doing some Chapter 10 Hard runs soon. I think I'm getting that Chapter down.

[quote name='notorious_pip']It was fun playing a couple rounds with you last night, KGSoloman8000. Sorry I had to bail early, but an early job and late gaming don't mix too well.

It looks like you're getting Chapter 9 down pretty well. We should all start doing some Chapter 10 Hard runs soon. I think I'm getting that Chapter down.[/QUOTE]

Yea, def fun... even though we got screwed on the boss chests lol. I played a little later after you left and ran into 2 pretty cool guys. We made a pretty decent 3 man team. We started out running Ch 7 (which I'm decent at) but then switched over to Ch 10 (which I SUCK at). That boss still gives me a lot of problems. Luckily one guy on our team had him down. He knew how to dodge everything that he was throwing. I added both of them to my friends list so we'll prolly end up playing with them sooner or later.

The best weapon I have against the Ch. 10 boss is that crazy Nebula thing I think. The range is good but the damage is kinda weak at around 35 per hit. I can't wait to pick up that huge sword that Soma can wield. That thing was doing 100+ each hit with certain hits dealing around 250.

I haven't really figured out how to dodge the bullet hell retro Dracula throws out so I have been using final guard. Unfortunately my Final Guard is only at level 1, so my MP drains like a SoB...

I've been pretty busy getting the house ready for a new baby over the last couple of days but if I make decent progress today I'll probably be on around our usual evening hours. I'm still just working on the 1-6 hard levels but if you want to join me or have me help with your levels shoot me a message/invite.

If not I'll work with some random matches to try to get some decent equipment and finally that ring to be able to survival grind with you guys.

Retro Dracula isn't too hard as long as he's always facing you. His first form, once he opens his cape, make sure you're about a slide's distance away from him and do a short hop which will avoid both the flames from above and below. In his second form, if he just stands and starts flapping, he'll do his fireball pinwheel. If he's facing you, just double jump with the pinwheel. When you're above him, dive kick his head, and then go over to his backside. That's pretty much it to avoid the pinwheel. The rest of his patterns on the second form are easy to avoid.

I think you should have some decent weapons for Retro Count. The Longinus spear and Kaiser Knuckles +1 are both good against him. I'm not the biggest fan of the Claimh Solais +1 (the big sword you mentioned) because of how slow it is.

Hey, another fun night playing C:HoD with you, KGSoloman8000. We need to do some more Chapter 10 Hard runs. That was fun despite the last chapter failure when I was still alive. Such a "wtf" moment.

Once the weekend's over I am so down for running Chapter 10 Hard. Having my buddy in town is awesome but I am going through minor Vania withdrawal.

[quote name='notorious_pip']Hey, another fun night playing C:HoD with you, KGSoloman8000. We need to do some more Chapter 10 Hard runs. That was fun despite the last chapter failure when I was still alive. Such a "wtf" moment.[/QUOTE]

Oh yea, I had a blast :)

Those last 2 runs were BS, lol. Definitely a WTF moment. 1st one I messed up due to my stupidity lol... and the second one the game just decided to screw us. Ch. 7 is def my strongest level, but after those runs with you last night I really got a grasp on Ch. 10... Once I get a better read on the boss's second form, I will be a lot stronger and a lot more help on Ch. 10 in the future ;)

[quote name='bsmiff']Once the weekend's over I am so down for running Chapter 10 Hard. Having my buddy in town is awesome but I am going through minor Vania withdrawal.[/QUOTE]

That's funny. We've been missing you the past few nights ;) I played with Comfy some more last night and he scored his second miser ring during one of our runs... He got his first earlier that day. That lucky SoB lol. We've been having a great time running thru levels and cracking jokes.

One guy rage quit last night because he wasn't getting any winged boots after several runs, but that psycho bitch was handing them out like candy to all the guys that had them already. I think I picked up 4 pairs of them last night.

Played about 4 hours last night and didn't get a single decent item. Hope to have some better luck tonight. Still hunting for my second Valmanway. Hopefully Ch. 10 will cough up a +1 for me.

It'll be fun to play with everybody again when you're back, nah dew.

Yeah, you just need to play R. Count a couple more times to get his patterns down. He doesn't feel that difficult, but he just hits so hard that you're only allotted about 2 mistakes before you die.

We'll get some good drops if we keep plugging away.

[quote name='bsmiff']I'm gonna jump back on tonight if anyone's up for playing Ch. 10 or anything else on hard.[/QUOTE]

I'll be there ;)

I've been playing quite a bit of Ch 10 lately and have gotten pretty good at it :), I can even do the glitch now ;) I scored a Valmanway +1 two nights ago, been getting shit ever since.

Been playing a lot with Comfy and his crew since you've been gone dew.

Also ran into a guy online that claimed he read some info about 3 new DLC levels in the works due to overwhelming fan response. I haven't found any info to back it up though. I know they announced Ch. 11 as the final DLC, but I would love some more levels. I hope there is some truth to this...

[quote name='sp8001']I'll be there ;)

I've been playing quite a bit of Ch 10 lately and have gotten pretty good at it :), I can even do the glitch now ;) I scored a Valmanway +1 two nights ago, been getting shit ever since.

Been playing a lot with Comfy and his crew since you've been gone dew.

Also ran into a guy online that claimed he read some info about 3 new DLC levels in the works due to overwhelming fan response. I haven't found any info to back it up though. I know they announced Ch. 11 as the final DLC, but I would love some more levels. I hope there is some truth to this...[/QUOTE]

Nice you'll have to show me what you've learned on 10.

[quote name='bsmiff']http://alternateharmony.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=character&action=display&thread=195[/QUOTE]

The only thing the Alternate Harmony boards don't go into are which souls are good for Soma. I'll list some of each type of soul which are good for him.

Guardian Souls
-Brauner - The trail of blood paint is great to cover your back and deal damage to enemies that stay still for prolonged periods of time.
-Buer - You have a ring of fire around you that will protect you from some things and is great for tacking on additional damage.
-Final Guard - Once maxed out, no attack can get through, although it's still fairly draining on your MP.
-Medusa/R. Medusa - It allows you to float and is what I think makes Soma so amazing. It allows you to reach areas where you wouldn't otherwise be able to reach, and makes certain bosses a cinch to beat.

Enchantment Souls
-Dead Warrior - It increases your luck if you believe that luck increases your chances of getting rare drops.
-Minotaur - It increases your strength which increases the damage from your weapons.
-R. The Creature - It regenerates your HP over time.
-Succubus - It regenerates your HP every time you attack. This is better than R. The Creature as long as you have a fast multi-hitting weapon like the Valmanway. Before that, I would stick with R. The Creature.
Treant - It regenerates your MP over time. This is great if you're going for a caster build for Soma.

Bullet Souls
-Beelzebub - You send out the flies in a straight line ahead of you. It does great damage once maxed out and hits multiple times.
-Disc Armor - You throw out the "yo-yo" spiked disk. If you can get the distance right, you'll hit the enemy a bunch of times for big damage.
-Fire Demon - You shoot out a horizontal moving fireball. What sets this apart from other projectiles is that it will continue infinitely until it hits something.
-Fish Head - You throw out a fish skull in an arch over your head like the Belmont's throw their axes. This soul is great because it covers the area above Soma which he's lacking in, and once maxed out, it hits hard and multiple times.
-Legion - You fire a small holy beam horizontally. Pretty standard, but hits hard and doesn't cost as much as Gergoth.
-Perjora's Mask - You shoot out a spinning Perjora's Mask horizontally.
-Puppet Master - You throw out a puppet that you'll switch places with after a few seconds. It's useful to get you past some hard platforming areas and makes you more mobile.
-R. Black Panther - You summon an 8-bit black panther that runs and hits everything in it's path. It's a great way to clear out hallways.
-R. The Count - You throw out the Gargoyle version of R. The Count and he'll stand a flap where he lands to deal additional damage if you have good aim.
-Thunder Demon - You send out slow moving orbs of lightning that can deal massive damage to slow moving enemies.
-Warg - A phantom warg mouth appears in front of you biting for one damaging hit. It's great for burst damage for enemies directly in front of you, but it has a little windup prior to hitting.
-Yorick - You throw out a skull in front of you that drops and hits for tiny damage. This is what makes Soma arguably the most mobile character in the game. What makes Yorick so amazing is that you can dive kick and bounce off of the skull to jump higher. Every time you dive kick a Yorick, you're given another double jump. You couple this with the Medusa/R. Medusa Guardian soul, and you can reach nearly anywhere in the level.

Hey guys, this is sort of off-topic but I wanted to give everyone a heads-up about my personal status as well as an advisory to be on the lookout for suspicious activity on your XBL account. I detailed the full story here - http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296220 - but, basically, my XBL account got hacked and I'll be out of commission and probably out of your friend list for a week or two while MS figures it out. Fortunately, they reassured me that I should get everything back, including the stolen MS points.

Most of you guys are on my friends list so please don't think that I deleted you. Hopefully I'll catch everyone to re-request once I get the account back but if I forget please feel free to send me a request.

Unbelievable timing with my wife and I already running on fumes from the birth of our baby daughter. Of course, nothing could diminish that miracle but it wasn't the best medicine for a sleep-deprived father. At least MS is being really cooperative.

Happy grinding...

So as many of you know I'm taking a break from this game after too much grinding without reward. That said, I've been playing the crap out of the first three Castlevanias on my NES. Playing HoD so much has definitely helped me get a lot better, especially at the first game. Who's still grinding away in HoD and how's it going?

[quote name='bsmiff']So as many of you know I'm taking a break from this game after too much grinding without reward. That said, I've been playing the crap out of the first three Castlevanias on my NES. Playing HoD so much has definitely helped me get a lot better, especially at the first game. Who's still grinding away in HoD and how's it going?[/QUOTE]

I am currently burnt out on it too. Hell, I've put in over 100 hours so far. My Soma is nearly maxed, still have some souls to collect. Alucard is maxed (might be missing 1 or 2 of his weapons from earlier chapters). Fuma is Maxed. I have been working on my Simon whenever I hop on, grinding Ch. 10 for the retro gear. I have scored 2x retro helms, but nothing else lol.

Sorry to hear you haven't been getting rewarded for your grinding. Comfyside is feeling the same way... I would play with him night after night and he would leave empty handed every time. I wish this game was a little nicer to everyone ;)

The survival mode grinding just really bores me! I don't like how they basically force you to play it to level up...

A few of my friends started playing again so I got back into it as well. We've been playing for a few weeks and it was fun for a while, but last night I decided to give it up for now. I was excited at first because I got my first pair of Sonic Boots very quickly, but then my luck stopped. I've been grinding away trying to get a fucking Miser Ring for far too long.

I'll pick it back up around 6 months from now, and like this time play till my eyes bleed while killing Astarte and getting absolutely jack.

Also it doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the community. It's filled with impatient people and elitist attitudes.

I'm sort of at a toss up at getting this game or outland for something for some casual play hehe

what might help me decide is the online, is it still good and active in castlevania ? :)

[quote name='Rodimus']Also it doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the community. It's filled with impatient people and elitist attitudes.[/QUOTE]

This game really breeds that kind of community, I think. Grinding so much is a major test of one's patience, and the rarity of good loot definitely enables people's elitism. That's why I like playing with the CAG crew. We all get along and are willing to play whatever for whoever's benefit, and when some prick joins up and acts impatient or elitist, they pretty much get laughed at.

Hmm, maybe I'll play a few rounds tonight. Never know when you'll get lucky :)

[quote name='Kevfactor']I'm sort of at a toss up at getting this game or outland for something for some casual play hehe

what might help me decide is the online, is it still good and active in castlevania ? :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I would categorize this game as casual. It's not that it's insanely difficult, but it's very time intensive. You need to dedicate yourself to this game to really level up your characters, which is basically the game's goal. That's not to say it isn't good, or OK to play once in a while though.

However, it's up to you if you're willing to spend full price on it. The DLC chapters add a TON to the game and I'm really glad I was able to snag it all on sale recently. I definitely would not have bought it all at full price, way too expensive. The online community is still active, but it seems most dedicated players run the DLC chapters most often.

I remember pissing off a few people the other night. We were doing a level 10 run and I was the only Soma. So everyone was expecting me to do the shortcut trick. I've seen it done but never done it myself. So I'm sitting there for a few minutes trying to do it and I just couldn't pull it off. People started yelling and everyone left. I get a message a minute later saying, "You Suck!"

I laughed, first time I ever got hate mail in a co-op game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've probably been the least-active of the group but having a new baby and getting your account hacked will do that. I did finally get access back to my account (albeit without my MS points so that's still an ongoing battle) and was craving to play this a little bit again this week. Even if I can't do the extended hours of grinding I'm happy to do a few runs through here and there. I also finally got Lord of Shadow from Gamefly so that will be fun to start. I'll be splitting my time with that and Hard Corps over the next couple of weeks. Feel free to join/invite me to either that or Castlevania.

Here's another vote for the CAG crew. After playing with the gang here it's almost unbearable to play with random players.

I don't know if I am elitist or not, but I despise playing with brand new players. They always jump in on the hardest chapter and end up screwing up the whole group. When you are grinding levels its gets annoying. I don't mind helping guys out though who are on the mic (if they have at least half a brain).

It's best to send friend requests to the good people you find while playing random matches (there are a lot of them) and try to get a nightly group going. A lot of the guys I play with are playing basically every night, and I get party invites all the time... Or at least I used to, they kinda know I have been burnt out since I haven't played in a few weeks...

I got a lot of my good shit running in random matches. Once you find a good group, stick with them.

I've been lurking on this thread for awhile, mostly because I'm rather timid when it comes to gaming online, but I'm thinking I should try to shake myself out of that.

I'd be interested in doing some runs at some point if anyone is interested. I have all the maps and I've put close to 48 hours into the game, 80-90% of that in single player, and over half of it playing Charlotte. That's one of the main reasons I've stayed away from random matches. Everything I've heard leads me to believe that the online community is not very forgiving to Charlotte players. If anyone's willing to look past that, though, I'd like to give this a go...

I'd be up for playing this with you guys. Hit me up.

Of course, Hard Corps, and even Moon Diver will suffice if interested

Hey again Vania crew! My 360 died a month ago so I swapped over to PS3. Any of the old coop gang cross-platform? Would love to start the grind back up on the PSN version of this game.

bread's done
Back