XBLA - Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

You probably are doing crap for damage. That happened to all of us the first few times we went up against her. She is resistant to slash weapon types, and just about all elements. You want blunt (strike) weapon types (the icon for this looks like a fist) and/or holy elements. For the whip users and Fuma, your weapon is fine and holy subweapons will help. For Alucard/Soma you want Fist of Tulkas/Kaiser knuckle (or Kaiser +1 for both chars) or Claim Solais (and its +1). Shanoa should use Lapiste. Maria should use hymn, Charlotte should use energy flow (or.... piercing beam is okay... but Charlotte just doesn't do well anymore even with fools tabs or maxed regen gear...) and Yoko is good with either holy spell.

I hope that helps cover the basic points for fighting her. Hit me up on Live sometime if you'd like some help. I might only need 4 items total to finish my compendium, but that won't stop me from playing any of the levels.

I finally beat the last DLC stage this morning. Chapter 11 is probably my favorite. All of the stages are huge though. It seems like they were really made for co-op play.

Just bought this! Wayyyy behind on Castlevania playing, also just downloaded SotN.

Anywho, while they're on sale, which map packs are must-buys? If I have to get everything I can, but I'd rather not if they're not great. The SotN extra stages look cool, also which extra characters are best to download? I had my eye on Richter and Maria (big surprise, I know xD)

Any suggestions appreciate, also if you'd like to help a lowly nub in this, GT is Lee Chaolan T6

[quote name='aaronrodgers']Just bought this! Wayyyy behind on Castlevania playing, also just downloaded SotN.

Anywho, while they're on sale, which map packs are must-buys? If I have to get everything I can, but I'd rather not if they're not great. The SotN extra stages look cool, also which extra characters are best to download? I had my eye on Richter and Maria (big surprise, I know xD)

Any suggestions appreciate, also if you'd like to help a lowly nub in this, GT is Lee Chaolan T6[/QUOTE]

I'll add you and we can play whenever, just shoot an invite. Newbin' it up here as well. I definitely got the two 8-bit style extra stages and am considering the others. The extra characters aren't on sale sadly, so I'm not rushing to buy them.

[quote name='bsmiff']I'll add you and we can play whenever, just shoot an invite. Newbin' it up here as well. I definitely got the two 8-bit style extra stages and am considering the others. The extra characters aren't on sale sadly, so I'm not rushing to buy them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Sounds fun, but yeah bummer the characters aren't on sale, but since they're not on sale now, who knows when they may be eventually bumped down. I don't mind paying an extra buck for them now if it means a 6 month wait.

I'll probably get Maria since I've read she has a nice Jump kick and a good Holy spell, then a few maps. May get the others. Still deciding. Hmm...

You guys are getting me pumped about trying to start a game soon. I'm going to finally start SotN soon and then get practicing with HoD before we get a co-op going. Fair warning: I haven't played Castlevania since the original on NES.

The only stage I'd even consider skipping is Stage 7, the pyramid one. It's got the least new content of any DLC stage and the boss is incredibly annoying.

Chapter 7 - Really long, confusing stage with an annoying boss
Chapter 8 - Kind of unmemorable with an alright boss
Chapter 9 - Very fun stage with a neat boss
Chapter 10 - Very fun but tough stage with a hard boss
Chapter 11 - The Best Stage

That's how I'd classify everything.

It's worth noting that Chapter 7 has some really good items. The Miser Ring adds crazy strength and there's a really good headpiece I believe for the female characters.

It is the worst DLC stage though.

Well I bought up all the DLC stages except chapter 7 mostly because I ran out of MSP. I may get it anyway so I'll have a complete package. gubmccargen (jaskull) and I had a decent first time run (or three) on chapter 1 last night. Had to get some better equip before we could beat the boss.

[quote name='bsmiff']Well I bought up all the DLC stages except chapter 7 mostly because I ran out of MSP. I may get it anyway so I'll have a complete package. gubmccargen (jaskull) and I had a decent first time run (or three) on chapter 1 last night. Had to get some better equip before we could beat the boss.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, definitely a lot of fun but I really need to get more experience with this game to be decent at it. It's really a great co-op game, though. It would be nice to have some sort of tutorial for the controls and using items as it took us a couple of runs to get the hang of it. I've been really itching to get back to this game so I'll look for you again tomorrow. I might have to pick up the DLC quickly, too.

Hey, it was fun playing with you guys last night. That retro map was awesome.

Joined a few other games last night and had a 5 person party of people with the map. Awesome. Beat it too. (if you count beating it standing outside the door while they slayed dracula so I wouldn't die...xD)

getting stronger though :) Looking forward to more.

I just picked it up last night but didn't play it yet. If anyone wants to play add me

GT - Denbo32

I'll be on most nights after 8pm EST.

Trying to get back into Castlevania HoD after buying all the DLC stages. I'm down to play any levels at either difficulty. Add me and send me an invite if you see me on.

GT - EZ Mister P

[quote name='aaronrodgers']Hey, it was fun playing with you guys last night. That retro map was awesome.

Joined a few other games last night and had a 5 person party of people with the map. Awesome. Beat it too. (if you count beating it standing outside the door while they slayed dracula so I wouldn't die...xD)

getting stronger though :) Looking forward to more.[/QUOTE]

Yep, good times with you and Redwing66. My friends list is blowing up with you guys! Will be down for playing more tonight for sure, preferably with fellow new players.

[quote name='bsmiff']Will be down for playing more tonight for sure, preferably with fellow new players.[/QUOTE]

I am planning on joining in on the festivities tonight ;)

I have all the DLC levels except chapter 7... I still might pull the trigger on it though before the sale ends to complete the collection. I know it is going to annoy me when I have a gap in between Chapter 6 and 8 on the level select menu. Why is the shortest smallest level the most expensive?

I played a few rounds on Chapter 1 as Soma. I beat it 2 player co-op with a buddy and also solo. I tried Chapter 2 today solo and got to the boss but he quickly destroyed me lol. Damn puppet master...

I am really enjoying this game. I love the classic 2D... This game just oozes retro awesomeness :D I can't wait to get some actual power out of my characters. They are still extremely weak, lol.

[quote name='sp8001']I am planning on joining in on the festivities tonight ;)

I have all the DLC levels except chapter 7... I still might pull the trigger on it though before the sale ends to complete the collection. I know it is going to annoy me when I have a gap in between Chapter 6 and 8 on the level select menu. Why is the shortest smallest level the most expensive?

I played a few rounds on Chapter 1 as Soma. I beat it 2 player co-op with a buddy and also solo. I tried Chapter 2 today solo and got to the boss but he quickly destroyed me lol. Damn puppet master...

I am really enjoying this game. I love the classic 2D... This game just oozes retro awesomeness :D I can't wait to get some actual power out of my characters. They are still extremely weak, lol.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I got my mic working again which really boosted the fun factor. Oh and I just went ahead and got chapter 7 as well even if it's not so great. Figured if I was already buying the rest, might as well make it a complete game. 200 MSP is a lot better than 400...

Sorry, y'all, I had to quit. The cat was starting to bite for its food. :D

Not that I was much help. I'll need to spend some more time with it one-on-one to get the hang of it. And some better items.

[quote name='Raccoon2117']Sorry, y'all, I had to quit. The cat was starting to bite for its food. :D

Not that I was much help. I'll need to spend some more time with it one-on-one to get the hang of it. And some better items.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I felt lost and weak lol. I'm starting to get the hang of it though.

Great game guys :)

Time is ticking away, I should prolly grab Ch. 7 before I go to bed

I can't believe the game glitched me out of my Boned achievement, lol.

i can't believe some of you played solo on some of the maps... i dont think i played one map by myself... takes too long.
i've put a ton of hours into this game and would be glad to start playing again... send me an invite sometime. my shanoa is pretty much maxed out... and my alucard is pretty good too.

Soloing on Normal is the best way to build up many character's abilities, such as Charlotte's spells. Just depends on who you're playing.

Another fun night of gaming!

Dew/bsmiff - I went ahead and soloed Chapter 9 on Hard (SotN stage) up until that very first purple chest you have to scale the castle wall to get, and got a Demon Mail out of it :D You're right, it's pretty awesome. uped my defense by like 25 xD

Feel free to add us Loko, we've been playing the past few night affter like 10 EST, maybe earlier if the others are on. Good times.

[quote name='eastx']Soloing on Normal is the best way to build up many character's abilities, such as Charlotte's spells. Just depends on who you're playing.[/QUOTE]
you can also do survival mode and grind shanoa/whip users subweapons up.

I've been busy with work stuff the last few nights and have missed out on the fun. :( Hopefully I'll get some time one of these nights again soon and you guys won't mind letting a noob back in. bsmiff and I left off on level 2 so I'm still way back there. I feel like an idiot but I was realizing that I forgot to even buy anything from the shop ever between levels! Hopefully that means I have a lot of gold saved up and can get some decent items. I did pick up the 8-10 DLC so I'd be up for doing those eventually, too.

Hey guys, saw you on last night but seemed you had a group of 5 so I didn't want to intrude. If you see me on at all today when you go to play, please invite me. I'm starting pretty close to the beginning so hopefully that's okay.

Hope to play with you guys soon!

[quote name='WTPolaris']Hey guys, saw you on last night but seemed you had a group of 5 so I didn't want to intrude. If you see me on at all today when you go to play, please invite me. I'm starting pretty close to the beginning so hopefully that's okay.

Hope to play with you guys soon![/QUOTE]

Aw, you should have sent us a message man, we can go six deep. Add my GT, we'll make sure to look for you tonight. This has been fun the past few days. Loving the game.

I've been having a blast with you guys. We should try and finish up Ch. 4-6 on hard tomorrow night ;) Then move onto the DLC. I think some of the best drops are in 10 and 11 on hard.

Thanks for the link dew

Had a lot of fun playing with you guys last night. I know I'm lagging behind in the damage department since I'm still leveling my subweapons for Jonathan but hopefully I still contributed a bit. Had a lot of fun too. I'll be on tonight so if there's a group going send me an invite(and/or a fr!) I'd love to play some more.

I'd also like to play a bit on the dlc stages I haven't got to play any of those yet! The origins and the Fuma one look neat!

[quote name='Denbo32']I haven't started yet, would it be better for me to do some solo first or just jump in a game with ya'll?[/QUOTE]

Solo is good if you know where chests are or stage patterns. But honestly, you'd just be better off joining the group. Just add bsmiff, or myself and we'll keep an eye out for you when we get something going.

Polaris - Yeah, was fun. Gonna send you a FR.

[quote name='notorious_pip']Hey, it was really fun playing with you guys today! We'll have to do it again sometime soon.[/QUOTE]

Definitely man! That Soma was rockin. bsmiff and I were able to get winged boots, but would love the sonic boots soon. The extra speed is sooo nice.

Also, we discovered a little shortcut on Stage 7. xD Was definitely pretty rad. Now just need some Miser Rings!

Everyone else, still feel free to add or message us. Still down for playing the earlier chapters if you're not powered up, Have plenty of other characters to level up. :)

Can you guys add me??

I have all the DLC chapters and have played each one on normal 1-2 times. Haven't played them on hard yet.

I usually play Alucard, Shinoa, or Charlotte. I have pretty decent gear from the hard stages. Maybe I will buy one of the new dlc chars and mess around with them.

Haha, thanks for the compliment on my Soma, but I'm definitely rusty.

Please let me know if you guys are going to farm some Sonic Boots and/or Chapter 10. I definitely want in on that.

If you guys play some earlier normal level chapters, I'm also down for that. I can start playing some of the DLC characters.

[quote name='aaronrodgers']Definitely man! That Soma was rockin. bsmiff and I were able to get winged boots, but would love the sonic boots soon. The extra speed is sooo nice.

Also, we discovered a little shortcut on Stage 7. xD Was definitely pretty rad. Now just need some Miser Rings!

Everyone else, still feel free to add or message us. Still down for playing the earlier chapters if you're not powered up, Have plenty of other characters to level up. :)[/QUOTE]

Bastards with your winged boots... lol. I don't have Ch. 7, but I def wanna get some better gear by playing the DLC chapters on hard. I would have stuck with you guys last night but I don't have 7 lol.

Normal isn't getting me anything new :(

I can beat all the stages on normal solo(well, the first 6 anyways) with Jonathan. I just have trouble getting myself to sit there and grind subweapons solo for hours. I'd like to keep playing with you guys though in some of the harder missions and make some progress and maybe find a few of the sub weapons that I don't have yet(wrecking ball, holy water, cross.) I'm probably not exactly on the same level as you guys yet especially since i don't have any of the move fast gear but i'd still like to play some if you guys decide to go off and play again tonight. I do have all the dlc levels available to me and I'd also be willing to play with someone else if it'd be quicker to catch up to your group. Currently the four subweapons I have are all level 6 of 9.

If you want to do some survival mode grinding sometime, I would be down for that. I could level up some of the new subweapons from DLC for Jonathan or start some of the DLC characters subweapon grinding.

[quote name='WTPolaris']I can beat all the stages on normal solo(well, the first 6 anyways) with Jonathan. I just have trouble getting myself to sit there and grind subweapons solo for hours. I'd like to keep playing with you guys though in some of the harder missions and make some progress and maybe find a few of the sub weapons that I don't have yet(wrecking ball, holy water, cross.) I'm probably not exactly on the same level as you guys yet especially since i don't have any of the move fast gear but i'd still like to play some if you guys decide to go off and play again tonight. I do have all the dlc levels available to me and I'd also be willing to play with someone else if it'd be quicker to catch up to your group. Currently the four subweapons I have are all level 6 of 9.[/QUOTE]

It was fun playing with you guys again last night but I fear that I'm way behind and a bit lost on this game in general. I love the 2D co-op gameplay and it was still fun to trail behind and do my puny damage but I'd like to learn the fundamental a bit more. Feel free to chime in if you can help me with any of this:

1. It seems like there are 3 paths to getting better items: finding them throughout levels (it seems like people are saying to play the hard DLC levels for better ones), leveling up your weapons through progress, or the shop. Is one method better than the other? Also, is there any way to figure out your equipment before getting into a game and going to the book? If it's in the menus I can't figure it out.

2. If I purchase items from the shop like healing potions do I use LT to use them in a game? Can I use any item at any time that way? Also, if I have the water of life do I just go up to a dead teammate and use LT to use it on them?

3. I'm not obsessive about achievements but I like to get them when I can. How exactly do I do a jump kick for the 30 jump kick achievement? I've seen up+A mentioned but it always just looks like a normal jump to me. I also can't stay on top of anyone's head to do this? Not a big deal but it's frustrating to feel like I'm not able to do something I should easily be able to do.

I also have DLC stages 9-11. My short time with this game has been enjoyable even if I only understand it cursorily. I'd like to enjoy it even more, though.

Why is it that CAG always generates such solid multiplayer groups? Playing will y'all is awesome. Sorry to bail out last night KG. Two straight nights of Ch. 1-6 on normal wasn't getting me those boots! :)

I'm def down for playing more tonight, even this afternoon. Expect party invites if you're on!

Yo jaskull if you want to hit up normal chapters right now I'm down. We can try to blow through them and catch you up. Let me know. I can answer those over mic if you're in. Otherwise I'll work on that in a few when I'm done with this sandwich.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bsmiff']Why is it that CAG always generates such solid multiplayer groups? Playing will y'all is awesome. Sorry to bail out last night KG. Two straight nights of Ch. 1-6 on normal wasn't getting me those boots! :)
[/QUOTE]

True... at some point we are going to have to stop accepting new players so we can make some progress for ourselves. I still need to finish 4-6 on hard to get the achievement and hopefully some nice gear along the way. I am also down to grind any of the DLC on hard to try and get some faster boots.

We should all grind for sonic boots. Being slower than everyone else is gonna really piss me off.

I am busy early this evening, but I should be on around 10 EST tonight. Maybe a bit earlier.

A little OT but... Dew, was that you talking about Bomberman last time? or was that Lee? It looks like a pretty awesome Bomberman clone came out a week ago on the XBLIG channel titled Explosive Gas for 80 MSP. It has 8 player online play. Hoping we could possibly get a group together for this one. It looks like a blast.

We definitely always get the best groups going. :) As I said, it's been a lot of fun even if I'm just following you guys and throwing knives across the room.

smiff, that would be awesome if you could post something here to help me. I actually don't usually have my chat turned on as I don't use a mic so if it isn't much trouble having something I can refer back to would be great.

I'll probably be on tonight and over the weekend around my usual time (7ish-10ish PST) and I appreciate your offer and anyone else who wants to go through the normal 1-6 levels and then 9-11 after that. I still haven't beaten 5 or 6 and I want to at least get Dracula once. :)

KG: Yeah we were both talking about Bomberman. I'm down for playing some of the XBLA Bomberman version for sure, and will look into that indie game.

gub: You should definitely at least turn on chat audio! It's helpful to pick up on good tactics, secrets, etc. Communication is key man. Here are some quick answers.

1. The shop is not the place to get great equipment, but it's an OK starting point. Most excellent equipment drops out of gold (boss) or purple chests, especially on hard mode. Some characters like Alucard rely more on finding good equipment to be powerful, whereas others have to level their subweapons. Check out the link I posted earlier for some great info on all that.

2. To use an item, hold LT and then press RT. Once you've used the item, you'll have to head to an in-game book to equip another. Some items can be stacked, like donuts and stuff. I think you can only carry one potion at a time though. To revive others, stand on their skeleton while they aren't moving and press RT.

3. To jump kick, double jump (A twice), then hold down and hit A again. To get the achievement just do this 30 times in a row on someone's head. Another common place to earn it is while cranking the big axe on Chapter 3.

[quote name='eastx']Ugh, gub doesn't play with a mic and turns off audio? That's weak and double weak.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips, smiff and for the call-out, east.

To be honest, I didn't even really know that 360 allowed you to hear voice chat without a mic. It's actually one of the reasons why I prefer to use it for online. I only use a mic with family as my wife and I just find it strange to hear disembodied voices of people we don't really know floating around the living room. I guess I'm just a bit antisocial in terms of voice chat. Sorry. I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way, though.

Not trying to be "weak" or rude but it's just a personal preference. Maybe it's stupid but I've never bothered to figure out how to listen to chat without a mic because I prefer it quiet. I think that I'm a good and helpful team member but if anyone doesn't want to play with me because of that then just don't invite me or take me off your list I guess.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Thanks for the tips, smiff and for the call-out, east.

To be honest, I didn't even really know that 360 allowed you to hear voice chat without a mic. It's actually one of the reasons why I prefer to use it for online. I only use a mic with family as my wife and I just find it strange to hear disembodied voices of people we don't really know floating around the living room. I guess I'm just a bit antisocial in terms of voice chat. Sorry. I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way, though.

Not trying to be "weak" or rude but it's just a personal preference. Maybe it's stupid but I've never bothered to figure out how to listen to chat without a mic because I prefer it quiet. I think that I'm a good and helpful team member but if anyone doesn't want to play with me because of that then just don't invite me or take me off your list I guess.[/QUOTE]

Not to push you or anything, but maybe if you try using voice chat with our usual crew once you'll see the benefit and enjoy it? Everyone we've been playing with is cool man. We crack lots of jokes and just have a good time. Plus you learn a lot about the game! Will still play with you either way of course.

That's the nice thing about using the mic... only you can hear the "disembodied voices" in the earpiece.

I know what you mean about the randoms on XBL... 90% of XBL users that spam the mic are dumbass preteens or just flat out strange, lol.

We're a friendly group though. Give it a try and join in the party chat with us one night. I think you will find that it is pretty enjoyable. Even more so with a game like Castlevania HD... this game really shines with the voice chat.

bread's done
Back