XBLA - Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Add me to your friends list if you want to play. Just need to grab a points card and I'll pick up the game. Seems fun from the demo.

Can we talk through the headset or is it the pre-set words only?

You can do both.

Edit: Just got my 300 items achievements with a soul.

Oh, KingBroly, I just found the secret room in chapter 6 you were talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started to seriously level my Charlotte last night and she might be the quickest character to max out. I've played about 6 hours with her and have every spell in the game maxed out except for 5 of them. Her Heal spell is a bit of a pain but I was able to max it out in about 30 minutes after finding a little trick. The two Dracula spells take a lot of patience. Once leveled up her spells are insanely powerful. I deal about 100 points of damage with a single fireball. But after seeing all the spells none of them seem broken.

For leveling up Jonathon do you need to actually hit an enemy with the sub weapon or does it gain exp by simply using it?

I think I'm at 270 items or so. I'm also nearing 6,000 kills and 600,000 gold. I beat Dracula on Hard with Shanoa, but only her lightning spell is near the max (level 9?). I wish there was an item that lowered how much magic each spell cost with her, because it takes a while for it to regenerate.

Charlotte's spells do level up very quickly, but there are a lot of them. I think Jonathon's sub weapons power up the same with Shanoa's does, and that's through hits (sorta like how Castle Crashers did EXP). I'm honestly thinking of nerfing Shanoa's attack power to see if it levels them up any quicker.

Well for that run I went with Luck over magic regeneration because I was looking for drops, not beating Dracula.

[quote name='Rodimus']Started to seriously level my Charlotte last night and she might be the quickest character to max out. I've played about 6 hours with her and have every spell in the game maxed out except for 5 of them. Her Heal spell is a bit of a pain but I was able to max it out in about 30 minutes after finding a little trick. The two Dracula spells take a lot of patience. Once leveled up her spells are insanely powerful. I deal about 100 points of damage with a single fireball. But after seeing all the spells none of them seem broken.

For leveling up Jonathon do you need to actually hit an enemy with the sub weapon or does it gain exp by simply using it?[/QUOTE]

Wow, aren't there like 22 different spells absorbing like 9 of each of them? I tried using Charlotte last night for a bit, and I swear it takes 5+ minutes for some of them to get absorbed.

There is no stat that increases MP regeneration. Only Sage Rings and other items and armor that directly affect MP can help. INT is magic damage and MND is magic defense.

Jonathan takes the longest out of everyone to max out. I highly recommend waiting until you have 1 or 2 Masters Rings to attempt it, as once a subweapon reaches level 4, it takes much longer to level up. Poor Jonathan got the short end of the stick out of all 5 characters IMO (his martial arts are pretty weak and most subweapons use way too many hearts), although he's my main.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Yeah 300 items in your compendium makes things a lot easier.

Now to figure out the kills and gold ones, those will be the biggest pain outside of beating this game on hard (stuck on chapter 4 hard still).[/QUOTE]

The gold one is already confirmed, you need one million gold on you at the time of the acheivement. It's not cumulative, you need to have one million gold at once.

The kills one has also been confirmed in that it's 10,000 kills spread across all 5 characters.

There are two people I know of on x360a that have 200 / 200 already.

I played a bunch online with 5 others yesterday on hard mode. Still haven't killed Dracula, but was very close one time.

My Shinoa, who is a much newer characters, outdamages my Alucard to no end. She seems very good for new players and especially on normal where you can kill everything from a distance.

Alucard isn't that great, soul steal is good in general and on certain monsters like Death. I have really good armor for him, but my swords are so-so. Pretty much every other decent player can outdamage me. I've heard mutiple people say that he can find 2 awesome swords, but I haven't played with anyone who had them.

I played one game with someone who had a near maxxed Charlotte and holy crap she is a monster. She was outdamaging everyone and could cast spells and heal nonstop due to astral ring and high healing ability.

Soma seems generally pretty good. His RPG is awesome in certain spots. I've played him a little bit, I really like how your team can help you gather souls.

Online I've read people don't think Jonathan is very good, but I've played with some decent ones online, so not sure about him.

The main thing I would like to be different about the game would be the ability to level up Alucards and Charlottes spells by casting. Alucard honestly must take forever to max his spells from drops (I have soul steal at level 4, my other highest is lvl 2), and Charlotte is pure griding. At least with the other characters you can just play online and level up your abilities. I've heard Charlotte gets spells much faster online, but it can be hard to absorb before you teammates kill the monsters.

Playing as Soma and have no idea what the hell I'm doing, and I've played all the castlevanias except for the last one on the DS.

[quote name='wakawakawa']I played a bunch online with 5 others yesterday on hard mode. Still haven't killed Dracula, but was very close one time.

My Shinoa, who is a much newer characters, outdamages my Alucard to no end. She seems very good for new players and especially on normal where you can kill everything from a distance.

Alucard isn't that great, soul steal is good in general and on certain monsters like Death. I have really good armor for him, but my swords are so-so. Pretty much every other decent player can outdamage me. I've heard mutiple people say that he can find 2 awesome swords, but I haven't played with anyone who had them.

I played one game with someone who had a near maxxed Charlotte and holy crap she is a monster. She was outdamaging everyone and could cast spells and heal nonstop due to astral ring and high healing ability.

Soma seems generally pretty good. His RPG is awesome in certain spots. I've played him a little bit, I really like how your team can help you gather souls.

Online I've read people don't think Jonathan is very good, but I've played with some decent ones online, so not sure about him.

The main thing I would like to be different about the game would be the ability to level up Alucards and Charlottes spells by casting. Alucard honestly must take forever to max his spells from drops (I have soul steal at level 4, my other highest is lvl 2), and Charlotte is pure griding. At least with the other characters you can just play online and level up your abilities. I've heard Charlotte gets spells much faster online, but it can be hard to absorb before you teammates kill the monsters.[/QUOTE]

My Alucard is a tank. Deals loads of damage with the Yamo. Defense is somewhere around 80ish.

Charlotte is a monster. I am trying to level her now after playing with a guy doing 110 with the piercing beam. I tried to level her spells online but people kill the enemies faster than you can absorb so I have gone single player to try and level them. The witch is a pain to get heal from since I deal too much damage now that she doesn't cast it.

[quote name='Khalid']Gold is not so bad by farming chapter 6 hard mode. Just sell the stuff you find.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I found this out just this morning when I finally reached the last level in Hard Mode with a badass Allucard - and by badass I mean his weapon, he had that weapon that attacks really fast and does 42 damage per hit so he's doing like 200+ damage to a enemy within seconds. He is by far the best tank in the game AND damage output, with the right weapon of course. I've heard Soma has a similar weapon but I've yet to find it.

[quote name='animalspinners']The gold one is already confirmed, you need one million gold on you at the time of the acheivement. It's not cumulative, you need to have one million gold at once.

The kills one has also been confirmed in that it's 10,000 kills spread across all 5 characters.

There are two people I know of on x360a that have 200 / 200 already.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I've pretty much sold all the useless items now since I got the packrat achievement, and I'll farm the last level like crazy and sell everything to work my way to a million. At the rate I've been playing this game lately 10,000 kills doesn't sound too bad since I'm almost half way there already.

[quote name='Rodimus']Started to seriously level my Charlotte last night and she might be the quickest character to max out. I've played about 6 hours with her and have every spell in the game maxed out except for 5 of them. Her Heal spell is a bit of a pain but I was able to max it out in about 30 minutes after finding a little trick. [/QUOTE]

Can you share this little trick with us? It took me a full 30 minutes to absorb one of the witches heal spells.

[quote name='Trakan']Wow, aren't there like 22 different spells absorbing like 9 of each of them? I tried using Charlotte last night for a bit, and I swear it takes 5+ minutes for some of them to get absorbed.[/QUOTE]

22 sounds right. Some spells seem to have a higher absorb rate than others but I can't confirm this, I could've just gotten lucky with those. Also certain enemies will repeatedly use the spell over and over or fall into a pattern. And some spells like Acidic Bubble and Death Spores have multiple targets to absorb making it easier to learn. Ultimately it all boils down to luck and patience.

[quote name='mang9432']Can you share this little trick with us? It took me a full 30 minutes to absorb one of the witches heal spells.[/QUOTE]

Sure, hopefully I can explain this without confusing you so bare with me. First off I noticed the Witch likes to heal after you land a slide kick on her. The problem is she floats above you. So you have to lure her down some stairs or a lower platform then quickly get above her and slide kick her like crazy as she rises up. She won't do it all the time but I find that she's more susceptible to use Heal when she's not about to do her other magic attack. To make things easier the Heal spells seems to have a higher absorb rate than others. I can't confirm that but I seemed to absorb it 1 out of 10 times.

There's one spot I found this tactic to work the best at. It's near the beginning of the level, once you're able to go up take a left towards what I remember as a library/dinning area. It's a little after the first armor/floating head enemy. The spot looks something like this, just try to imagine it without the dots:
___
|..........______
|.........|...........\______
|_____|

Sorry for the crude graphic.

My FAQ is online at GameFAQs!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/997663-castlevania-harmony-of-despair/faqs/60635

I didn't get to incorporate boss strategies yet, but they'll be included in an update soon.

I would appreciate people checking for errors and comments about the layout/sections of the guide.
Also if anyone wants to put on the Gambler Glasses and remove all other items (so that their luck goes down to normal), and give me Soul and item drop percentages, I would really appreciate it.

Please let me know what you think!

I got my 300 items/1,000,000 gold achievements today. You get 30-50k in gold for every Chapter 6 Hard run. I also found out that Shanoa can use a standing X/Y combo of 2 Pneuma's and it'll go under Dracula's hand and it'll deal a stream of damage to him (I was doing 17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 17 per 2); add that up over about 30 seconds and Dracula is toast (My ATK was like 25% less than what is usually was though). I need roughly 2700 kills for Slaughtervania.

[quote name='eastx']My FAQ is online at GameFAQs!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/997663-castlevania-harmony-of-despair/faqs/60635

I didn't get to incorporate boss strategies yet, but they'll be included in an update soon.

I would appreciate people checking for errors and comments about the layout/sections of the guide.
Also if anyone wants to put on the Gambler Glasses and remove all other items (so that their luck goes down to normal), and give me Soul and item drop percentages, I would really appreciate it.

Please let me know what you think![/QUOTE]

Excellent start! This is the type of game that a seriously detailed and well organized FAQ will be of great benefit, and I was hoping that someone would post one. Thanks!

I think all boss soul drops are 1.5%. My friend plays a Soma and I'm guessing he knew that from wearing those glasses.

[quote name='uglyteradon']I've heard a rumor that Jonathon has another whip... but this isn't true, right?[/QUOTE]

No other whip.

[quote name='eastx']No other whip.[/QUOTE]

Boo. My roommate played this game for sixteen hours yesterday with some guys at the top of the leader boards and told me that they were talking about a really rare drop for Jonathon.

[quote name='uglyteradon']Boo. My roommate played this game for sixteen hours yesterday with some guys at the top of the leader boards and told me that they were talking about a really rare drop for Jonathon.[/QUOTE]

Someone was saying the exact same thing the other day and I've yet to see anyone use another whip. I think what happended was people were assuming Jonathan could use the Nebula which is what my Soma uses. Its the whip that comes out and "heat sinks" the enemies. I like it a lot since I don't have Soma's best weapons yet, which of course from what I read Dracula Hard drops... go figure.

Dracula's Hellfire is a pain in the ass to absorb with Charlotte :bomb: I have no problem grinding the other spells but this one is really pissing me off. I did three runs and was only able to get it once. And to top it off it's his least favorite move to do. Dracula will do each of his other moves 3-4 times before he pulls off one Hellfire. His Dark Inferno is defiantly easier to absorb. It's too bad because Hellfire looks like it'll be a beast once leveled up. Death's Deathscythe also has a low absorb rate but it's not as annoying since he shoots like 20 out at a time and it's the only move he does (when he's in spirit form that is)

I still need to beat Chapter 2 Hard. If I see any of you guys on later around midnight would you mind if I hit you up with an invite? I just haven't had time to play and when I do get an hour of free time I've been trying to level Charlotte. I feel pretty comfortable with her abilities so I figure I'll finish the rest of the game with her.

[quote name='Rodimus']Dracula's Hellfire is a pain in the ass to absorb with Charlotte :bomb: I have no problem grinding the other spells but this one is really pissing me off. I did three runs and was only able to get it once. And to top it off it's his least favorite move to do. Dracula will do each of his other moves 3-4 times before he pulls off one Hellfire. His Dark Inferno is defiantly easier to absorb. It's too bad because Hellfire looks like it'll be a beast once leveled up. Death's Deathscythe also has a low absorb rate but it's not as annoying since he shoots like 20 out at a time and it's the only move he does (when he's in spirit form that is)

I still need to beat Chapter 2 Hard. If I see any of you guys on later around midnight would you mind if I hit you up with an invite? I just haven't had time to play and when I do get an hour of free time I've been trying to level Charlotte. I feel pretty comfortable with her abilities so I figure I'll finish the rest of the game with her.[/QUOTE]

I saw you on earlier. Just invite me in and I will help you out moving forward in Hard mode.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Someone was saying the exact same thing the other day and I've yet to see anyone use another whip. I think what happended was people were assuming Jonathan could use the Nebula which is what my Soma uses. Its the whip that comes out and "heat sinks" the enemies. I like it a lot since I don't have Soma's best weapons yet, which of course from what I read Dracula Hard drops... go figure.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my roommate has been playing that game for about 14 hours a day now... and I'm pretty sure he has doubles of all the rare weapons. Hearing the conversations from his room was just like listening to somebody on vent when they play WoW.

Honestly, it took a little bit of the fun out of the game for me. I've been avoiding playing with him because I'm tired of a group of people mowing down enemies while I'm trying to just enjoy the game. Oh well, I guess Jonathon just isn't as hardcore as the others.

[quote name='Rodimus']Dracula's Hellfire is a pain in the ass to absorb with Charlotte :bomb: I have no problem grinding the other spells but this one is really pissing me off. I did three runs and was only able to get it once. And to top it off it's his least favorite move to do. Dracula will do each of his other moves 3-4 times before he pulls off one Hellfire. His Dark Inferno is defiantly easier to absorb. It's too bad because Hellfire looks like it'll be a beast once leveled up. Death's Deathscythe also has a low absorb rate but it's not as annoying since he shoots like 20 out at a time and it's the only move he does (when he's in spirit form that is)

I still need to beat Chapter 2 Hard. If I see any of you guys on later around midnight would you mind if I hit you up with an invite? I just haven't had time to play and when I do get an hour of free time I've been trying to level Charlotte. I feel pretty comfortable with her abilities so I figure I'll finish the rest of the game with her.[/QUOTE]

I spent a few hours tonight off and on grinding Charlottes spells. Dracula's do seem the very hard to get. The other ridiculously hard ones for me are feather blades from the harpies. Flame shot is pretty slow, but at least he does the attack a lot.

Don't know if want. I imagine people will only be playing this online for another month at most.

On the other hand, it's Castlevania.

Decisions.

[quote name='Strell']Don't know if want. I imagine people will only be playing this online for another month at most.

Decisions.[/QUOTE]

You don't play your XBOX anyways so save the money :roll:.

Or, you know, you could and then join the lot of us :applause:

If you didn't play at least one of DS Castlevania games TO COMPLETION, do not pick this game up at 1200 points. While fun, you will not understand a stand what does what. I beat Order of Eclessia and I still get stuff mixed up because they simply don't explain some of the core fundamentals of the game.

Also, 200/200 now. I hope Level 7 has more achievements.

[quote name='Strell']Don't know if want. I imagine people will only be playing this online for another month at most.

Decisions.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I think there will be somewhat of a hardcore community that will stay with this game for a little while. It will never be overwhelming, but I don't think there will be problems finding a game anytime soon.

The game is brilliant and worth $15 just to play the SP alone as well.

I agree that this game has a lot of legs to it. There is just as much to discover as in SOTN. The DLC will lengthen interest too. And I wanna play with you, Strell!

I've only played (and beaten the game) as Soma. Can he get any better weapons? I bought the best things from the Store already...and he still seems pretty low compared to everyone else I play against online.

Oh yes, he can get much better stuff. You'll get most of the good items on Hard, and it can take many playthroughs (and boosting your Luck stat) to find them.

Got the Winged Boots off Dracula last night in hard. Everyone was bitching about how fast I move lol. Still haven't gotten Soma's best weapon yet.

Also multiple people have posted about Death's weapon as a drop, apparently very rare Level 5 (obviously). Satan's Ring can also be gotten on Level 6 Normal Dracula Drop.

Also saw "Simons Headband" drop last night in Stage 6 Hard. Other people have said Simon's entire set drops eventually, don't know if theirs any bonuses with a full set, and it's for Jonathan.

Speaking of which whats the max damage Jonathan can do when all his subweapons are maxed?

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
Speaking of which whats the max damage Jonathan can do when all his subweapons are maxed?[/QUOTE]

It will take approximately a million years to max all of hsi subweapons. so I'll letcha know when I get there.

New info about the stats:

MND: Mind. Magic resistance. Mind also affects Shanoa and
Charlotte's glyph/spell acquisition success rates.
Neither MND nor INT affect MP regeneration.

LCK: Luck. Affects the chance of enemies dropping items or souls for
Soma. Luck does NOT affect chests or boss drops in any way.

Each point of Luck raises an enemy's item/soul drop rate
percentage by .01. Most characters start with 5 points of luck,
so if a drop rate is 1.6% with 5 luck points, then 15 luck
points increases the drop rate to 2.6%. It may not seem like
much, but it can make a difference.

-Taken from the in-progress version of my FAQ.

Heh, someone on GameFAQs emailed Konami and they revealed the secret item in Level 2.

You play the piano keys in a certain order and a Crown drops. The secret items don't do anything, for those wondering.

[quote name='Kreutz']You don't play your XBOX anyways so save the money[/QUOTE]

My hours on Limbo, Deathspank, and MI2SE say otherwise.

Bomber are you going to do a drop chart as well for your faq, btw send me a invite when you see me on and we can get some games in. Same to you Rod no idea why it wouldnt let me join but I'll be farming hard more for better Soma gear before I start working on another toon.

anyone want to get a game going? I'm currently trying to beat level 3. Had it beat but dot disconnected on the way back to the lobby afterwards.

[quote name='eastx']It will take approximately a million years to max all of hsi subweapons. so I'll letcha know when I get there.
[/QUOTE]

Lol, well apparently a guy on achive360points got almost all the sub weapons maxed by just spaming his sub weapon attacks on the level 3 boss and wearing two mastery rings (must have been very, very time consuming) but didn't comment on how much damage his whip does. He did however state at level 5 every sub-weapon gets better attributes (Paper Airplane has little people riding on it, Cross got bigger I believe) and level 9 even better for each sub weapon.

I can confirm you can get Simon's Headband and Sandals off of purple chests in Hard Chapter 6. Not sure about the rest of Simon's items (I'm assuming the Simon items are the best for Jonathan).

Thanks for the info on Luck, that will prevent me from increasing luck with my characters in the future - don't care too much about souls and haven't seen any awesome normal drops from enemies.

Looks like I found the answer to my Jonathan question for whip damage - He does 90+ with two Megwhatever rings if all your sub weapons are maxed.

Good news, everyone! There's another and substantially easier way to get the Poetic Justice achievement.

Imps can control you (They are the flying, purple demons that prominently appear on Chapter 3), and if you kill a partner who is under the control of said Imp, you will get the achievement.

Honestly, I really like Castlevania, but I played the demo for this and I thought it was really not worth $15. I might pick it up to play it if it's $10 or less, but I don't really care about the multiplayer that much so I guess it isn't designed for me. Also, the controls and interface seem shitty, I dunno, maybe I just haven't played Castlevania in a while, I still need to get OoE.

Woo Hoo, Finally maxed out Charlotte. I buckled down and got that blasted Hellfire spell. I stared out with Shanoa but now Charlotte is defiantly my main.

Thanks to Kreutz for hooking me up with a winning team so I could finally beat Hard mode. I kept getting teamed up with idiot Jonathons or people way under-leveled.

Awesome news about the Imp thing. Sounds much easier than Dracula's charm spell.

[quote name='SpazX']Honestly, I really like Castlevania, but I played the demo for this and I thought it was really not worth $15. I might pick it up to play it if it's $10 or less, but I don't really care about the multiplayer that much so I guess it isn't designed for me. Also, the controls and interface seem shitty, I dunno, maybe I just haven't played Castlevania in a while, I still need to get OoE.[/QUOTE]

I can't say that wasn't my initial reaction too, but damnit, if this game didn't make me realize very soon that A) it is a great addition to the CV series and B) it most definitely can be an enjoyable SP experience.

I would try to come back to it at some point and give it another whirl. The characters controls grow on you, and the game opens up after you start to upgrade your initial equipment.

bread's done
Back