XBLA Deal of the Week: Ikaruga 400 points

Anyone know how much the Gamecube version sells for on EBay? Just curious if I should dump it for the XBLA version. Thanks in advance.

After people talking about how hard this game is, I'm probably going to pass.

I like to play games to have fun, not to drive myself nuts just to complete a stage.

Well worth it at full price, now there's no excuse. Online co-op is unfortunately pretty laggy when a friend and I tried it a few times, though (this was about a year ago).

[quote name='Rollobobo']Okay important question...is this 400 pts for Live GOLD memebers or is is 400 pts for everyone. I am currently only silver and would love to pick this up. Anyone know?[/QUOTE]

You have to be a gold member to get the discount.

They'd have my money, except I'm not going to pay for Gold.

It's a really good game though, if you're able to pick it up for 400 points, that's a great deal.

[quote name='zedarkness']I purchased it at $800 around 9 months ago and I definatly dont regret it[/QUOTE]
$800 for an XBLA game? Do you live in Australia? ;)

I disagree with the idea that Ikaruga the hardest of hardcore shmups. I found it really rather boring. I could name a dozen better designed, more fun shmups. It is just that nobody knows about them because Ikaruga seems to have taken the internet by storm and blinded everyone to a more reasonable assessment of shmups. It is a solid product, and probably one of the best shmups available on XBLA, but I found the game ridiculously boring compared to stuff like Dodonpachi, Esprade, Mars Matrix, even the Touhou games. And I'm not even a shmup expert. Ikaruga just bored me.

Video related: It is probably my favorite review of Ikaruga out there by a guy who sounds a lot like Boomhauer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAO6akjqdg

I can't believe it. I've been waiting MONTHS for Ikaruga to drop to 400 pts and here it is.

Already own the GC version, so I wasn't in a hurry to buy but this is really great news!

[quote name='RollingSkull']...I found the game ridiculously boring compared to stuff like Dodonpachi, Esprade, Mars Matrix...[/QUOTE]

Donpachi, Dodonpachi and Mars Matrix are great shooters, and some of my absolute faves, but so is Ikaruga. taking into account the polarity gag with Ikaruga, i don't consider it as much of a "bullet hell" type of game, so i'm not sure it fairly compares to the others. this is more of a shooter/puzzle game. it's super-short, but sweet.

[quote name='allyourblood']Donpachi, Dodonpachi and Mars Matrix are great shooters, and some of my absolute faves, but so is Ikaruga. taking into account the polarity gag with Ikaruga, i don't consider it as much of a "bullet hell" type of game, so i'm not sure it fairly compares to the others. this is more of a shooter/puzzle game. it's super-short, but sweet.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't even have to be bullet hell. I love me some R-Type 3, some Cho Ren Sha, some Gradius Galaxies every now and again too.

Can't forget Castle Shikigami 3.

Ikaruga just feels tepid and uninspired compared to those. It isn't a matter of swimming in a sea of bullets or a matter of difficulty. I just didn't have fun with Ikaruga.

Still, for 400 points, it is hard to go wrong. I just wish people would quit proclaiming it is the be all, end all to shmups. It isn't... and all that hype made me waste monies. ;_;

[quote name='RollingSkull']It doesn't even have to be bullet hell. [/QUOTE]

i didn't mean for it to sound that way, sorry. i just wanted to emphasize that Ikaruga doesn't compare that closely to those particular titles. it seems to me like Ikaruga falls within in its own category, along with some of Treasure's other titles, like Bangai-O. if anything, Radiant Silvergun lies a lot closer to standard shooter fare (and certainly deserves any praise it is given).

what's odd is that Ikaruga is sort of an anomaly when it comes to Treasure's other (non-licensed) games; it lacks much of the bizarre, off-the-wall, downright insane qualities which most all of their other titles seem to share. that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it might certainly make Ikaruga seem tame and almost mundane in contrast.

i'd wager a guess that what makes Ikaruga so popular vs. other shooters is that it exhibits unique play mechanics that are likely to lure in players who might not normally invest in "yet another top-down, save-the-galaxy space shooter". in fact, most people i know that own Ikaruga in some form or other don't own any other shooters!

Hey Sony do you remember when you used to best MS with all your PSN game deals? Feel free to grow a pair and step up to f'n plate at anytime.

Thumbs up to MS (M$ normally) for having a good price on a great game.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Video related: It is probably my favorite review of Ikaruga out there by a guy who sounds a lot like Boomhauer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAO6akjqdg[/QUOTE]
My favorite part is probably when he warns against the dangers of washing your colors with your socks, about how the colors might bleed over. His comments are great too, my favorite is: Shumps are the best, but Halo 3 is better than this one. I tried both with an open mind and verified it.

There's one guy who can't decide if he's the greatest troll or worst Halo fan ever. :applause:

The game is well worth it for $5 (400 ms points) and don't get discouraged by the so called difficulty. People might claim that it's really hard but everyone is different. You want hard? Go play Ninja Gaiden lol. Buy this game and join the fun in online co-op

bah, wish these weren't gold only, or wish that the 48 hour codes actually gave you gold status, instead of just being multiplayer only

Amazing deal, for once these weekly sales on XBLA actually pulled through. Nice price on an exellent game.

Also not specifically for Ikaruga, but remember that you can buy 400MS Points on the Zune marketplace so that you have exact change for the game, rather than being stuck with an extra 100+ points when you buy them from the Xbox marketplace. Just go to the zune.net site, enter the liveID that you use for your Xbox Gamertag, and choose to buy 400 points for $5. It will instantly appear on your Xbox Live profile.

[quote name='stikmanrp']I bought it when it was 800 points and thought that was well worth it. 400 points is a great price for it.[/QUOTE]

360 is the third format i've bought the game on. i bought it at 800 points and did not regret it in the least despite having bought it for DC and GC.

Awesome! Two great XBLA deals in a row between N+ and now this! I had this on Gamecube, but didn't want to shell out 800 MS points for it, but for 400 it's definitely a deal!

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I hope Mega Man 9 goes on sale next time.[/QUOTE]

Dude same here. I've been waiting on that to drop in price too.

I never beat Ikaruga myself but the game never felt 'hard'. Challenging but not hard. It's more about memorization that twitching to win. Hard would be if the enemy arrangement changed every time you play. Challenging is learning all the attack patterns.

Like Galaga Legions is hard. Even though it's about memorization too, it's just brutal.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Dude same here. I've been waiting on that to drop in price too.

I never beat Ikaruga myself but the game never felt 'hard'. Challenging but not hard. It's more about memorization that twitching to win. Hard would be if the enemy arrangement changed every time you play. Challenging is learning all the attack patterns.

Like Galaga Legions is hard. Even though it's about memorization too, it's just brutal.[/QUOTE]

After the third level it goes from a good challenge to mind-blowingly difficult.

This game is indeed way too hard... But can't you unlock unlimited continues like the GameCube version? At least I could have fun with it on GC after doing that.

bread's done
Back