XBLA--LIMBO- Out now!

I'm enjoying it, but can't help but think the lack of a storyline makes this game a missed opportunity. But then again I'm only halfway through, maybe it'll all make sense in the second half.

Played it last night for about an hour and I'm 34% in according to the stats. I guess 3 hours is about right. I've only gotten 2 achievements so far though. I really really like it and I think it is money well spent regardless of replay value.

The more I play, the more this game reminds me of "Out of this world/Another World"

Pre-release people were saying this years Braid, but it doesn't play at all like that.

I liked the demo, but I'm not entirely sold for $15. It could be one of 3 to get the 400 points back though if I think 2 others are worth $15.

I feel stupid.. I can't even get past the trial. I'm stuck where there's a crate and a bunch of water. I thought maybe if I push the crate out far enough then hop on, I could float across.. but no dice.

I keep debating on whether I am going to pull the trigger on this one or not. I still haven't even played the demo but after watching a few videos and reading some of the reviews (from sites I respect), it seems like a game I would really like.

The $15 price point for 3 hours of gameplay is what is holding me back. I know that it shouldn't matter but it really does for some reason. The Castlevania game is coming out soon and I love the Metroidvania formula plus I know I am going to get way more than 3 hours out of that game.

I have the MS Points to buy both but I think I am going to hold off for now. I guess I need to play the demo to at least get a feel for the gameplay before I dismiss it outright though.

[quote name='Scorch']I feel stupid.. I can't even get past the trial. I'm stuck where there's a crate and a bunch of water. I thought maybe if I push the crate out far enough then hop on, I could float across.. but no dice.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should drag it backwards...

I ended up finishing the game today (took around 3-4 hours; I got stumped a few times
(i.e. the dual bear trap drop and the zipline)
and tried using the clues in achievements to find the eggs (found all but
the tree one
by myself). I thought it was great. The atmosphere was amazing and enjoyed the puzzles (outside
the timing ones i.e. turn on gravity turn off gravity before saws, etc
). I personally didn't think 15 was too high for this title as the experience was worth it.

Ah, LIMBO, so beautiful you are, but as I've been hearing consistently, it is pretty short. But I'm not complaining, because I can afford to blow 15 bucks on a short adventure. I fucking love it for what it is, though!

[quote name='lordopus99']
Maybe you should drag it backwards...
[/QUOTE]

I kept trying that too, but he'd let go and drown!

[quote name='Scorch']
I kept trying that too, but he'd let go and drown!
[/QUOTE]

Don't push the box into the water at all. Walk up to it and drag it back a bit.

[quote name='menikmati']Bought it, just started playing it.

Damn, having a lot of those "oh fuck/oh shit" moments where my heart skips a beat.

All I can think is how I'll die next.

Just had 2 parts of the game where I smiled when I got annihilated. First was when there's 2 bear traps that are on ropes that swing in opposite directions when I stepped past the trigger point.

First try: First bear trap killed me. Went to find the trigger point.
Second try: Tried to outrun the second bear trap, only to have it catch me.
Third try: Tried to outrun the second bear trap again and try to jump at the last second, only to find out that the bear trap comes off the rope and lands right under me. I literally said "you have got to be fucking kidding me" aloud.

Another part was where there are big presses that collapse down when you step on the trigger. First one, I quickly understand that the raised part is the "safe zone," then I try the same technique only to find out that the safe zone is the "DO NOT LAND" zone.
[/QUOTE]

Hehe yeah I did the exact thing. I got past
the part with the bear traps on the ropes but of course the first time I died laughing
. That part was hilarious
especially when you realize you have to use the pounding traps against the enemies later on and they have no clue what demise is ahead of them.

I'm now stuck with the elevator, crate, see-saw place. I usually get it when I take a break or come back to the game after not playing it for a while lol.

OP You need to put in the title spoiler alert! lol all I see now in these posts is spoiler buttons. Guys you got questions and others post answers. No need to put up the spoiler button cause people get curious and push it anyways. Plus we all get stuck. I kept resetting when I got to the Arthropod (bug) and it kept flying away. Since I couldnt get out and I couldn't figure how to get the bug when it flew away.
Has anyone played through a second time? Just wondering about the replay value and how to get that one achievement. Die less than 5 times, can it be done?

[quote name='downsouthtigger']OP You need to put in the title spoiler alert! lol all I see now in these posts is spoiler buttons. Guys you got questions and others post answers. No need to put up the spoiler button cause people get curious and push it anyways. Plus we all get stuck. I kept resetting when I got to the Arthropod (bug) and it kept flying away. Since I couldnt get out and I couldn't figure how to get the bug when it flew away.
Has anyone played through a second time? Just wondering about the replay value and how to get that one achievement. Die less than 5 times, can it be done?[/QUOTE]

Done. And, no- you still need to spoiler tag yours, dude.

[quote name='downsouthtigger']OP You need to put in the title spoiler alert! lol all I see now in these posts is spoiler buttons. Guys you got questions and others post answers. No need to put up the spoiler button cause people get curious and push it anyways. Plus we all get stuck. I kept resetting when I got to the Arthropod (bug) and it kept flying away. Since I couldnt get out and I couldn't figure how to get the bug when it flew away.
Has anyone played through a second time? Just wondering about the replay value and how to get that one achievement. Die less than 5 times, can it be done?[/QUOTE]

I am using hints. I don't want to spoil puzzles.

Try walking very slow...

As for replay, I think it would be fine to replay. As for the die 5 times achievement, I think it will be hard as some of the later puzzles have timed jumps which end in lots of deaths plus you have to play it from start to finish in one sitting. If I see someone on this site get it, I might try for it (as long as it isn't someone with GS 100k+). If not, I will leave it at 190/200 like I left Braid off.

That's one heck of an achievement to get. You also have to remember that there're some puzzles (I hate them), that are a one shot deal. If you miss your chance to solve it, you're stuck, and death is guaranteed.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Hehe yeah I did the exact thing. I got past
the part with the bear traps on the ropes but of course the first time I died laughing
. That part was hilarious
especially when you realize you have to use the pounding traps against the enemies later on and they have no clue what demise is ahead of them.

I'm now stuck with the elevator, crate, see-saw place. I usually get it when I take a break or come back to the game after not playing it for a while lol.[/QUOTE]

I'm stuck at the exact same spot, if he could only jump like 1 cm higher the box wouldn't be needed (so far). There's also an achievement lurking in that area, also.

[quote name='menikmati']I'm stuck at the exact same spot, if he could only jump like 1 cm higher the box wouldn't be needed (so far). There's also an achievement lurking in that area, also.[/QUOTE]
See the handle on the part of the elevator that you're standing on?

[quote name='menikmati']There's also an achievement lurking in that area, also.[/QUOTE]

If I am thinking of the same spot, it also has to do with the elevator.

I loved the trial and this game got great reviews, but I have one question. Does this game drag on like Braid does? I got bored with Braid after awhile and it really started to suck. That's all that's holding me back from buying this right now.

[quote name='matto1233']I loved the trial and this game got great reviews, but I have one question. Does this game drag on like Braid does? I got bored with Braid after awhile and it really started to suck. That's all that's holding me back from buying this right now.[/QUOTE]

It's over in 3 hours so I don't see how it could drag...

I am loving this game. Sometimes I get stuck and don't think I 'll never be able to figure it out. Then I put it down for a little bit and come back later and get by the stuck area almost immediately. I love how that works. But right now I am stuck on Chapter 23(
I got past the zip-line, but the bottom of the slope is killing me
), and I really don't think I'll get past it. I have been so tempted to look at a walkthrough, but I really want to complete this on my own.

[quote name='Energy Penguin']I am loving this game. Sometimes I get stuck and don't think I 'll never be able to figure it out. Then I put it down for a little bit and come back later and get by the stuck area almost immediately. I love how that works. But right now I am stuck on Chapter 23(
I got past the zip-line, but the bottom of the slope is killing me
), and I really don't think I'll get past it. I have been so tempted to look at a walkthrough, but I really want to complete this on my own.[/QUOTE]

This was one of the spots I got stucked myself. Took a while for me to notice what is in the spoiler.
There is a gravity switch in the air.

Fantastic game, made it to #9 on the leaderboards before I had to leave today.

I did so many runs while I was going for the No Point in Dying achievement that I can complete a full run in a little over one hour now.

[quote name='life.exe']Fantastic game, made it to #9 on the leaderboards before I had to leave today.

I did so many runs while I was going for the No Point in Dying achievement that I can complete a full run in a little over one hour now.[/QUOTE]

I noticed you actually got the achievement.

How did you get by some of the
timed puzzles with the saws and electric floor without deaths?
Any tips you might have? Or was it more or less luck at times?

[quote name='lordopus99']I noticed you actually got the achievement.

How did you get by some of the
timed puzzles with the saws and electric floor without deaths?
Any tips you might have? Or was it more or less luck at times?[/QUOTE]

You just have to get the timing down on most of the stuff.
All of the gravity floors, saws, and electric floors have specific timings for when you need to jump/press buttons/etc.

Just beat the game, finished it without using any hints at all.

Tried to do a second run to see if I could do the No Point In Dying achievement, ended up getting my last death at around Chapter 10. Might try a couple more runs tonight to see how far I can push it.

EDIT:

Ended up finishing my second playthrough in around an hour with about ~15 deaths. That achievement is definitely doable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Third playthrough was 1 hour 10 minutes with 10 deaths.

Made a couple of mistakes:

1. As the worm, I tried to rush the rolling ball bit, died once.
2. The timing on the illuminated hotel sign is tight, so I anticipated milliseconds and jumped too early, died twice.
3. Died twice at the part where you HAVE to pull the box without getting infected by the worm or you're fucked.
4. The part with the moving chain over the electrified floor got me twice, I thought way too much about swinging at the extreme left when I just had to let go earlier.
5. Sometimes I rushed it a lot where I would just jump down ladders rather than climbing down, leading to splatters.

Got the achievement on my fourth playthrough, barely got by since I used up all 5 deaths, took me exactly an hour for my final run.

Last edited by a moderator:
im stuck. i have 2 chapters left and theres 2 big blocks with 3 switches, 1 makes gravity go, the other does ?? and theres one switch on the ceiling.

[quote name='sublime90']im stuck. i have 2 chapters left and theres 2 big blocks with 3 switches, 1 makes gravity go, the other does ?? and theres one switch on the ceiling.[/QUOTE]

?? = magnet.
blocks are metal.

[quote name='sublime90']im stuck. i have 2 chapters left and theres 2 big blocks with 3 switches, 1 makes gravity go, the other does ?? and theres one switch on the ceiling.[/QUOTE]

There isn't anything on the ceiling. First switch is gravity, second switch is a magnet. You have two metal boxes at different heights, with a magnetic ceiling.

[quote name='life.exe']
There isn't anything on the ceiling. First switch is gravity, second switch is a magnet. You have two metal boxes at different heights, with a magnetic ceiling.
[/QUOTE]

yup still dont know how to work it :)

[quote name='sublime90']yup still dont know how to work it :)[/QUOTE]

Full answer inside
turn on magnet, use gravity, just as block above you hits top, turn off gravity, now you are good to go

[quote name='lordopus99']Full answer inside
turn on magnet, use gravity, just as block above you hits top, turn off gravity, now you are good to go
[/QUOTE]

thanks just beat it!

Finished the game last night. Played two nights, roughly two hours each time. Did it without hints.

Game is marvelous, and I think the price point is justified. Atmospherically, it puts many other games to shame. The gameplay is good, but I had the "constant jump" mechanic if you hold the button down, which still trips me up here and there. But given the few moves available at your disposal, the sheer variety of puzzles is excellent.

Won't really comment on the story/meaning of the ending, since that is largely vague and we'll never reach a consensus. There are some theories out there, and part of them make sense, but you could have symbolize everywhere and never truly pin down anything absolute.

I think I like Braid more, even if that isn't fully fair comparison.

Anyway, game is fantastic, you should get it, support these guys, etc etc.

[quote name='Danimal']"I'm usually not into casual games, like last year's hit, Braid." :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

That's where I stopped watching. :lol:

[quote name='zeoavenger']That's where I stopped watching. :lol:[/QUOTE]
same here, i almost stopped right before that when she says "OMG!! i love game seriously!!" i wonder if the script shes reading actually says that.

bread's done
Back