XBLA - Magic: The Gathering - 800pts

[quote name='exileinoblivion']
I used to play magic when I was younger and gave it up years ago but I've been having a lot of fun with this. My only gripe is how cheap the AI is and how crappy the "shuffling is" I'm either drawing mana 8 turns in a row or stuck with the mana I had in my draw hand for most of the game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='drunknmunkys']I've noticed that too. I've had games where both me and the AI go on land runs 7, 8, 9 turns in a row.[/QUOTE]

Yea that is one of the reasons why I haven't touched this game in a while.

So strange. I just beat the 8th Challenge, and it gave me the Puzzling Master achivement, which is rewarded for beating all Challenges. There's still a couple left I haven't beaten! Crazy.

Got thins in my E-mail:

"Are you ready to take your Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers experience to a higher level? You'll be able to do just that in 2010 as Wizards of the Coast will launch two more expansion packs plus extend the game to PC and PlayStation 3.

Duels of the Planeswalkers continues to be one of the most downloaded games on Xbox LIVE Arcade. On the heels of the first expansion released in October, the 2010 expansions are scheduled for spring and summer of next year. Similar to the first expansion, the two releases will feature new cards, planeswalkers, and challenges, and will be offered in English, French, Italian, Spanish, and German.

Also planned for the summer of 2010 is the release of the PC version of Duels of the Planeswalkers. The PC version will offer the same style of gameplay as the XBLA title, along with an extra bonus we can't tell you about quite yet.

The 2010 plan continues into the fall with the release of Duels of the Planeswalkers on PlayStation 3. The PS3 version will be available in Japanese in 2011."

So it's going to be spring thaw before we get a new expansion and I wonder what the PC bonus will be?

Anyone heard of a time frame for the release of the next DLC pack on 360? There was a rumor that it was supposed to be last week, but that obviously didn't happen.

I've only heard what the new DLC contains.

• You can select "Nicol Bolas" Deck
  • A new campaign for single player (8 new episodes)
  • "Rhys the Redeemed" (Green-White apparently) and Chandra Nalaar ("New MONO-Red) decks added
  • 3 new cards for all older decks
  • 5 new Challenges
  • 3 new Achievements
  • 3 new Faces
  • New abilities such as Kicker, Landfall, and updated M10 rules for Deathtouch and Lifelink.
I'm pretty sure that I've seen host migration mentioned, as well as new achievements for 50 gamerpoints - all for 400 MS points.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Hmmm I didn't even pick up the first expansion yet, worth it?![/QUOTE]That depends on how much you play. They released a RG Aggro deck, UW Control deck, and an Artifact deck as well as adding 3 cards to each core deck in the game. That DLC also included more challenges, single player campaign, and pictures/in-game avatars.

If they would make two-headed giant available over Live, I could actually get the achievements for 100% and the co-op campaign.

[quote name='MSUHitman']If they would make two-headed giant available over Live, I could actually get the achievements for 100% and the co-op campaign.[/QUOTE]

You mean there are achievements for live that exist but aren't actually attainable...?

EDIT: Nevermind, sorry. I read the rest of the thread and I understand now. If anyone wants to play online, I just picked this up yesterday and I'm looking for someone to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']If they would make two-headed giant available over Live, I could actually get the achievements for 100% and the co-op campaign.[/QUOTE]

Two-headed Giant IS available over Live. My husband and I play it all the time together.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Two-headed Giant IS available over Live. My husband and I play it all the time together.[/QUOTE]

From two different Xbox consoles and not two gamertags on the same box?

[quote name='Trakan']From two different Xbox consoles and not two gamertags on the same box?[/QUOTE]

Two-Headed Giant can only be played by two people on the same Xbox. So saying, we play together from our one Xbox.

[quote name='eastx']Utopian, clearly the others are referring to playing that mode online, not locally.[/QUOTE]

Right, and we play that mode together, online. I play Two-Headed Giant online with my husband to unlock cards, as I find playing against the computer dull.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Right, and we play that mode together, online. I play Two-Headed Giant online with my husband to unlock cards, as I find playing against the computer dull.[/QUOTE]

That's not what hes asking. He wants to know if he can use Xbox Live on this mode to play with anyone who also has xbox live. Clearly you can't do that if you can only play it locally.

....and you still can't choose what goes into your deck. It's retarded they don't give you full control of the decks that you want to play with. I might be able to understand why you can't mix cards from other decks, but not being able to remove cards in the core deck is just ludicrous. Anyone that knows anything about M:tG knows playing with a deck over 60 cards is just stupid.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']....and you still can't choose what goes into your deck. It's retarded they don't give you full control of the decks that you want to play with. I might be able to understand why you can't mix cards from other decks, but not being able to remove cards in the core deck is just ludicrous. Anyone that knows anything about M:tG knows playing with a deck over 60 cards is just stupid.[/QUOTE]

Everyone is just going to have to get over that or just show their displeasure of that by not buying it as the XBLA version isn't designed to be a hardcore simulation of Magic. It's designed to get people that have never played Magic for whatever reason to try it out for a good price then proceed to the physical FNM or Magic Online worlds if they want to be "serious" about it.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Right, and we play that mode together, online. I play Two-Headed Giant online with my husband to unlock cards, as I find playing against the computer dull.[/QUOTE]

It's not good to be obtuse.

I still need to unlock cards but yeah playing against the AI is dull. I used to be able to play online but something happened and now I can never find a game (my connection).

Regarding the deck editing. Maybe they should have allowed you to remove cards for ranked matches, but for not player matches. That way player matches would stay fairly casual.

I really want to buy this game and the DLC, but I am holding out for some kind of sale since I have other things to play. I suppose a sale might not be likely though, as I had thought they might do one when they released the DLC.

[quote name='bringerofdeath']they already had a sale awhile ago for 400pts[/QUOTE]

Damn, that sucks. Just got my 360 a few weeks ago so was hoping for one. Guess they probably won't have another one any time soon then.

anyone having problems booting up MtG: Expansion 2 after the DLC downloaded? I just get a blank screen after the update was applied...already deleted and re downloaded it too.

i figured it out, WotC is retarded again. The updated patch is causing some problems...best to just wait it out as it's a "known issue" and they are apparently working on a hotfix.

*sighs*

[quote name='kurrptsenate']still can't edit the original decks can you?[/QUOTE]

no. It'll never happen for the XBLA version...they're pretty adamant about making it so you can't edit as to the level the playing field. I play with my friends because most of them sold their cards and it's more fun to play with bloated decks with good friends and laugh about it.

After downloading the new expansion, I get a popup message that says I have to re-download the original game but XBL won't let me download it. Just a heads-up to anyone who wants to get the expansion; wait until all the bugs are ironed out.

Delete MtG: Duels of the Planeswalkers from your arcade games list and delete Expansions 1 and 2. Redownload them all (I used Xbox.com to que up the downloads) and it should work. I'm up to the 4th battle of the new single player campaign.

some ppl are concerned it will delete their progress, so are refraining from deleted the original game from their HDD. Having to replay all the matches to unlock dozens of cards would just be tedious and annoying.

Some people shouldn't worry about it, then. Progress is tied to your 360 profile, not to the game. I wouldn't have tried this if it risked deleting all your progress - seeing as how was at 100%.

yup, deleting your "MtG games" works, then just redownload the game, + the 2 expansions and it boots up fine.

when you go to your progress screen, your progress crowns dissappear because you have more cards to unlock. I thought all my cards vanished, but decks I previously unlocked were now at 20/23.

yay us.

Good luck on these battles. I don't play on Mage difficulty (so I don't know how much easier it makes it), but these battles are fucking tough with the current decks we have - especially Sorin Markov's vampire deck.

fuck Vampire Nighthawk >_

[quote name='100xp']yup, deleting your "MtG games" works, then just redownload the game, + the 2 expansions and it boots up fine.

when you go to your progress screen, your progress crowns dissappear because you have more cards to unlock. I thought all my cards vanished, but decks I previously unlocked were now at 20/23.

yay us.[/QUOTE]
I don't know how you did it; when I get to 99% the download freezes and it says download could not be completed.

if it doesn't work for you, Delete the main MTG game...then download the "trial version" of it. IT's the same game but since you own the main game already the trial version turns into the full version.

Trials apparently seem to be the full version of games without the level or trial time restriction...the amount of memory it takes is always the same as well.

umm....yeah, the new card abilities are annoying as hell when they're being played against you. wtf...Landfall is kicking my as$.

[quote name='100xp']if it doesn't work for you, Delete the main MTG game...then download the "trial version" of it. IT's the same game but since you own the main game already the trial version turns into the full version.

Trials apparently seem to be the full version of games without the level or trial time restriction...the amount of memory it takes is always the same as well.[/QUOTE]
Hooray, it worked! Thanks, man.

[quote name='100xp']umm....yeah, the new card abilities are annoying as hell when they're being played against you. wtf...Landfall is kicking my as$.[/QUOTE]
Wait until you play the maxed-out version of that deck...

*land played*
Creature 1: gains vigilance
Creature 2: creates 1/1 bird token
Creature 3: gains flying
Creature 4: gains +4/+4
Creature 5: gains +2/+2
Creature 6: gives controller 2 health
etc.
-----------------------------------------

I love the new DLC. I love the few gameplay tweaks they added, the new loading screens, the new arrangement for parts of the menu, and, most importantly, the decks/cards.

My only problem with it is that the previous decks seem to pale in comparison to these, though I have not unlocked the new 3 cards yet for all of them. Rhys the Redeemed's Landfall deck is the most cohesive deck in the game, and Sorin Markov's Vampire deck gets nasty very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like some of the added features, but I've noticed loading times for deck editing has almost doubled if not tripled at times. Landfall isn't that bad, I just needed to see what's in the deck and how to counter it. I just forest walked my elves to victory.

I don't know why they added new land faces, it's almost confusing at first since they didn't appear like basic land now the decks look worlds apart because of that one simple change.

Can you remove cards from decks yet? I haven't played this game since it first came out, but I was disappointed that you could only add new cards to decks without taking old ones out.

[quote name='Rooster752']Can you remove cards from decks yet? I haven't played this game since it first came out, but I was disappointed that you could only add new cards to decks without taking old ones out.[/QUOTE]You can remove any of the 15+ cards you unlock for each deck, but not the core set of ~54 that comes with the deck.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Good luck on these battles. I don't play on Mage difficulty (so I don't know how much easier it makes it), but these battles are fucking tough with the current decks we have - especially Sorin Markov's vampire deck.

fuck Vampire Nighthawk >_

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']You can remove any of the 15+ cards you unlock for each deck, but not the core set of ~54 that comes with the deck.[/QUOTE]

That is annoying. I understand to an extent why they don't let you use a full deck editor, but I wish I could at least remove some poop cards from the deck to thin it out.

bread's done
Back