XBLA - Magic: The Gathering - 800pts

[quote name='utopianmachine']In the real MTG game, I have a vampire deck with a couple Vampire Nighthawks. I so love that card. :D[/QUOTE]Same here, I use 4 of them in a B/W deck that I usually stomp people with. I think the fact that I can't use one of my favorite cards is what makes me sad/angry when I have to fight against it (and the fact that Sorin draws them like crazy).

-----------------------------

If anyone is into spoilers for what cards there are to unlock with this DLC, here's a list of them that I compiled yesterday as I unlocked everything (Note: R - Red, W - White, B - Black, G - Green, U - Blue):

Eons of Evil [R/B/U]:

Heart of Worlds [W/G]:

Heat of Battle [R]:

Claws of Vengeance [W/G/R]:

Hands of Flame [R]:

Wings of Light [W]:

Teeth of the Predator [G]:

Thoughts of Wind :

Eyes of Shadow :

Ears of the Elves [G/B]:

Scales of Fury [R/B/G]:

Mind of Void [U/W]:

Cries of Rage [R/G]:

Relics of Doom
[U/B]:

[quote name='Rooster752']That is annoying. I understand to an extent why they don't let you use a full deck editor, but I wish I could at least remove some poop cards from the deck to thin it out.[/QUOTE]
Sadly I'd be just as happy if there was some sort of land management.

finally unlocking both MtG avatar rewards and I was pretty disappointed.

the t-shirt is a logo shirt...whatever it's...yeah, a t shirt.
the magic card deck they were boating about? Epic fail...of all the things you could have given your avatar why is this accessory so crappy. Even just holding a simple deck of magic cards and contemplating what to play but never playing anything would have been golden, but instead you get:
5 mana cards, that you fan out and throw up into the air, then throw them to the ground...looking over them you wonder wtf am I doing throwing my magic cards on the floor...then...a really crappy shivan dragon pops out of one of the cards and flies away ending your animation. I tap Meh and activate Meh

meh.

It's such a waste that one of the new cards for the Elves deck is the fourth copy of one of the crapiest creatures in that deck. Decent effect, but not good enough to warrant a 4th copy.

I've played a lot of ranked games in the last two days, and the new Red only deck (Heat of Battle) is VERY popular online right now. Elves are still one of the best decks, with Red Green pretty close to it.

I personally run into the Eons of Evil deck 9 times out of 10. Fine with me, I prefer the Wings of Light deck - especially with the addition of Baneslayer Angel.

I'm trying to finish of the next 3 decks, Fire deck is down and half way through the land one. I love how each of them play. Let's see if I can finally get the 100% before I get bored with it again haha. Missed it twice now, while sitting at like 90%!

im thinking about giving this a try but i gota question

is it like virtual packs or do you get all the cards in like sets of i guess dlcs? also better question can i watch other matches? :)

i did the everquest card game a few years back n didnt like it because i found ways around buying packs but the trading and what not just to up way to much time.

[quote name='Kevfactor']im thinking about giving this a try but i gota question

is it like virtual packs or do you get all the cards in like sets of i guess dlcs? also better question can i watch other matches? :)

i did the everquest card game a few years back n didnt like it because i found ways around buying packs but the trading and what not just to up way to much time.[/QUOTE]

You get pre made decks and you can unlock cards for those decks. No editing of the decks. DLC add more decks and extra cards for previous decks to unlock. I played magic back in the day and I like this for what it is. For one thing winning and loosing seems to be based more on skills than broken combos and there is little meta game. If you like CCGs, DL the demo and give it a try, but just go in knowing what you buying. I'm pathetic at it, but still like it. :)

[quote name='SteveGo']I can't believe you can't unlock the vampire deck, what a rip![/QUOTE]For Expansion Pack 1 it was the same deal with Nicol Bolas' deck. Expansion Pack 3 (slated for late summer/early fall) will likely allow you to unlock some version of that Vampire deck - along with the usual 2 other new decks and 3 cards for every previous deck. They'll probably tone the Vampire deck down a bit, seeing as how it's far superior to anything currently available to players.

i'll check out the demo
i quit mtg around like teh expansion after ice age so im really out of touch with the game. i remember a little after i quit i seen some lotus stuff, quit in the nick of time!:)

Okay, I'm ticked off.

My husband and I have been playing the co-op campaign on my game, to move my percentage along towards 100% to get that achievement. We've played battle number 14 several times now. We won the first game, unlocked cards, but it didn't mark the battle as won. The second time, we got an error that said the hard drive had come disconnected. It booted us back to the Xbox menu, and we went back into the game and started the battle over. The third time, we again one, and again, the battle is not marked as a win. It's still saying we've unlocked cards.

What on earth can I do? I've never had this kind of problem with an Xbox game before.

Also, another weird thing: last night when we were again playing the co-op campaign, it suddenly unlocked both avatar awards, although at that point I only had 1 full deck unlocked. My husband's profile had already earned the awards. My guess is it got confused, saw his profile, and unlocked the awards for me.

My game is messed up...

FYI if you have friends that don't have a 360 but are interested in this game, it's going on Steam next week. Preload is on Tuesday, and I guess it launches either Tuesday or Wednesday. $10 and it comes with what was the first DLC pack on 360 included in the base game.

[quote name='MSUHitman']FYI if you have friends that don't have a 360 but are interested in this game, it's going on Steam next week. Preload is on Tuesday, and I guess it launches either Tuesday or Wednesday. $10 and it comes with what was the first DLC pack on 360 included in the base game.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. I'll most likely wait for a sale on this since I own it on 360, but will pick it up on PC as well.

[quote name='MSUHitman']FYI if you have friends that don't have a 360 but are interested in this game, it's going on Steam next week. Preload is on Tuesday, and I guess it launches either Tuesday or Wednesday. $10 and it comes with what was the first DLC pack on 360 included in the base game.[/QUOTE]

Wow, it's a steamworks title too.

Something cool I noticed @ my FNM location tonight. Wizards has now put out 60 card real-life decks matching what's in the game. They're only legal in extended tournaments. Price seems to be the same as a regular starter pack, but has a full 60 cards instead of 40 cards plus pack.

The 5 decks my store had were red, black, blue, green, and Elves.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Something cool I noticed @ my FNM location tonight. Wizards has now put out 60 card real-life decks matching what's in the game. They're only legal in extended tournaments. Price seems to be the same as a regular starter pack, but has a full 60 cards instead of 40 cards plus pack.

The 5 decks my store had were red, black, blue, green, and Elves.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they were just released. If I ever get back into the physical card game (haven't played in 13-14 years), then I may grab the black deck to start things off. My 3 favorite decks in the XBLA game are the Black Deck, Eons of Evil, and Heat of Battle.

I played this game two nights ago. I really like the minor tweaks the newest patch fixed; seems to have sped up the game to a tolerable speed.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Yeah, they were just released. If I ever get back into the physical card game (haven't played in 13-14 years), then I may grab the black deck to start things off. My 3 favorite decks in the XBLA game are the Black Deck, Eons of Evil, and Heat of Battle.[/QUOTE]

The starter decks I mentioned are just 5 of the original 8, Eons of Evil and Heat of Battle aren't in there. Also beware that the decks would not be legal in standard type 2, they would only be legal in extended (type 1 or 1.5) tournaments.

Also forgot to mention besides the 60-card deck you also get a Magic 2010 booster pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this game to death but come on the AI cheats like crazy. Out of 60 cards it manages to get 4 of the same card twice, bs! I've come to reason that it's like Peggle, at times the game says look pal you're not winning this round.

Do any of you know how to set the background to the black background? Supposedly I should have access to 2 backgrounds and 2 playfields, but the only background I can set is the angel background, even though the right arrow on the menu is lit up, suggesting that I should be able to pick something else.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I love this game to death but come on the AI cheats like crazy. Out of 60 cards it manages to get 4 of the same card twice, bs! I've come to reason that it's like Peggle, at times the game says look pal you're not winning this round.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with both of those games.

Once I learned to play this I really love it.
I have 560 extra points and wanna buy an expansion but don't know if I should wait till the new one.

I mainly use the green deck but wish I could add some elf cards to deal with enchantments that kill me.

[quote name='WTPolaris']I'm afraid if you're using this as a basis to assume that there's a 3rd DLC due this fall, you might be disappointed to find out that article was written in 2009 and seems to be in reference to the 1st DLC, not one planned for this year.[/QUOTE]

I am such a retard. I really thought I read the date on this article as this year. :whistle2:#

got one expansion the second and will get the second when i get some more points

I fully unlocked both Green decks. Im currently using the Green/Black deck more. While the green deck had more strength ( Howl of the Nightpack and Overun are killer) Green/Black give me more chances to deal with cards and destroy monsters.

Sweetness. I can not wait. Maybe they will add the feature to mix and match decks.
Everytime I play online with randoms they all have the Red,Green, Black deck.

I'd love to mix and match my own black and green deck.
The Elves of Deathning.

Any tips on beating Sorkin black vampire deck.
I hate him.

[quote name='adriley313']
Any tips on beating Sorkin black vampire deck.
I hate him.[/QUOTE]

Mono-white did it for me. Voice of All and Paladin en Vec can lock the game. Mono-green also works well, but you need a troll and hammer, and ideally a blanchwood as well.

Just saw this:

On November 3, Magic: The Gathering and video game fans worldwide can play with new decks, experience never-before-seen challenges, and battle new adversaries on Steam with the third expansion for Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Duel Magic's troubled Planeswalker Sarkhan the Mad with this brand-new downloadable content featuring:

• Three new playable decks, including Sorin Markov's "Master of Shadows" Planeswalker deck
  • Three new unlockable cards for all existing decks (base game and expansions 1 and 2)
  • Five new puzzling challenge levels
  • Three new achievements
  • Four new Two-Headed giant local co-op levels
Players can also put their spell-slinging skills to the test to defeat the new single-player campaign and unlock Gideon Jura's and Niv-Mizzet's new Planeswalker decks.
The Duels of the Planeswalkers third expansion is priced at $4.99/3,99€ on Steam.

Watch for dates of its release on XBLA and PS3 to come soon.

--------------

I think it's pretty lame that PC gets first crack at it and console owners have to wait, but as long as there are no technical problems like there were for Expansion 2, I don't mind waiting for an extra week or so.

If you go here you can see all of the new cards/decks coming with Expansion 3.

The three new decks definitely don't fuck around - especially the Vampire deck and the Kor deck. Vampires will be the new Elves :cool:

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Just saw this:

On November 3, Magic: The Gathering and video game fans worldwide can play with new decks, experience never-before-seen challenges, and battle new adversaries on Steam with the third expansion for Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Duel Magic's troubled Planeswalker Sarkhan the Mad with this brand-new downloadable content featuring:

• Three new playable decks, including Sorin Markov's "Master of Shadows" Planeswalker deck
  • Three new unlockable cards for all existing decks (base game and expansions 1 and 2)
  • Five new puzzling challenge levels
  • Three new achievements
  • Four new Two-Headed giant local co-op levels
Players can also put their spell-slinging skills to the test to defeat the new single-player campaign and unlock Gideon Jura's and Niv-Mizzet's new Planeswalker decks.
The Duels of the Planeswalkers third expansion is priced at $4.99/3,99€ on Steam.

Watch for dates of its release on XBLA and PS3 to come soon.

--------------

I think it's pretty lame that PC gets first crack at it and console owners have to wait, but as long as there are no technical problems like there were for Expansion 2, I don't mind waiting for an extra week or so.[/QUOTE]
Was expansion #3 supposed to come out today on XBLM?

No, it came out today on pc, as stated in the release above. The release dates for ps3 and Xbla haven't been released yet, unfortunately.

[quote name='WTPolaris']No, it came out today on pc, as stated in the release above. The release dates for ps3 and Xbla haven't been released yet, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, I just noticed where it says that. Sorry for my reading failure :(

So how many achievement points is this thing going to have? Already the most for an XBLA game at 300 and I'm assuming it will be 350 after this update.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Sounds good and all but if they continue to give us more cards for our decks then they'll break the game.[/QUOTE]

At some point they'll have to let us edit the decks if they continue. I already am pretty choosey in what cards I put in the decks. The actual game can't break because you can change out your deck. This game only lets you add to the original 60-card pool.

That being said, awesome they've supported the game as much as they have.

bread's done
Back