XBLA - Magic: The Gathering - 800pts

[quote name='mxpowar']Sorry for off-topic: Everytime I look at your avatar, I'm sad because I wish there were more VS. TCGs in video game form. I'm playing through Marvel TCG now on PSP and it's the best, most addictive TCG I've ever played.

On topic: Still excited for Magic expansion 3 but all these bugs are really bringing down my desire to play this game. :([/QUOTE]

Too bad you weren't around for the actual game if you're enjoying the PSP version so much. It only had the first 4 Marvel sets. It was missing the DC sets, and the game really took off in terms of mechanics after the 5th Marvel set (X-Men released in Feb. 2006.) With the legal problems over Yugioh between Konami (who own Yugioh and did the VS TCG videogame) and Upper Deck, another VS TCG in video game form is a pipe dream.

(FYI avatar image is from the 5 cost Power Girl out of the DC Legion of Superheroes set drawn exclusively for the TCG by Michael Golden. If you're my friend on XBL, you will see the 6 cost Emma Frost artwork from the card of her Alex Garner drew for the Web of Spiderman set, which was in the PSP/DS/PC game.)

Back on 360 Magic, expansion 3 launched today for the normal 400 points and there is a free compatibility version also.

I've read reports that the achievements for expansion 3 aren't listed on xbox.com, therefore if you earn any, you don't get credit for them in your gamerscore. You will have to recover your gamertag to re-earn any you get between now and when they become "active". Does anything in this game work right? I love it, but damn already.

adam huges power girl is pretty mighty too.

@mxpower - there's also yu-gi-oh that came out recently for XBLA, you get to edit your deck except you start out with a pretty mediorce one and have to grind out getting random cards with each match...but if you're a fan of the game it's pretty decent.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Too bad you weren't around for the actual game if you're enjoying the PSP version so much. It only had the first 4 Marvel sets. It was missing the DC sets, and the game really took off in terms of mechanics after the 5th Marvel set (X-Men released in Feb. 2006.) With the legal problems over Yugioh between Konami (who own Yugioh and did the VS TCG videogame) and Upper Deck, another VS TCG in video game form is a pipe dream.

(FYI avatar image is from the 5 cost Power Girl out of the DC Legion of Superheroes set drawn exclusively for the TCG by Michael Golden. If you're my friend on XBL, you will see the 6 cost Emma Frost artwork from the card of her Alex Garner drew for the Web of Spiderman set, which was in the PSP/DS/PC game.)

Back on 360 Magic, expansion 3 launched today for the normal 400 points and there is a free compatibility version also.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I never even knew about the Vs. TCGs until recently but I'm glad I discovered it on PSP. It's really too bad about the legal problems but maybe a different company other than Konami can do it? I know it's a pipe dream but who knows. Also, 6 cost Emma Frost is awesome! Saved my ass so many times! I think the best part about the Marvel TCG is the obscure Marvel characters you might never get to see otherwise (unless you read ALL the comics religiously) like X-Statix, Squadron Supreme, and Thunderbolts.
I would love to play it against someone but sadly no one I know even has a PSP let alone the game and I don't have a PS3 with wireless so no ad-hoc party for me either.:(

[quote name='100xp']adam huges power girl is pretty mighty too.

@mxpower - there's also yu-gi-oh that came out recently for XBLA, you get to edit your deck except you start out with a pretty mediorce one and have to grind out getting random cards with each match...but if you're a fan of the game it's pretty decent.[/QUOTE]
Sorry for the double post but something weird is going on with the multi-quoting reply here. Anyway, I've never played Yu-Gi-Oh so not sure if I will like it. I am planning to get the first Tag Force for PSP after I finish the campaign in Marvel TCG, but at this point, I'm not sure if anything will be able to top Marvel (yes, it is that good especially if you like Marvel comics and who doesn't, right?).

The Counterburn deck is a thing of beauty. I can't wait to spam people with it online :cool:

I also didn't see this mentioned: the deck editor now shows you the cards you haven't unlocked, as well as the amount of Land in each deck (separated by color for multi-colored decks).

Last edited by a moderator:
Also you can download *keys* to either fully unlock any deck or to foil out the cards. Keys cost 80 points each.

The achievements are showing up fine for me, but first I had to get the update, then had to redownload the entire game after the update booted my off Live once it was finished and I tried to relaunch the game.

Hey, does this game have a fairly active online community? I purchased when it came out and then didn't get into it to much. I was all about this game in the early to mid 90's.

the community is always at it's most active when a new expansion comes out, so right now for a bit it will be teeming with life...then who knows, it is catching on more since MtG has been to more and more conventions promoting it.

i will definitely pick this up when it goes on sale, I still have a few more decks to completely unlock.

[quote name='pmm317']Hey, does this game have a fairly active online community? I purchased when it came out and then didn't get into it to much. I was all about this game in the early to mid 90's.[/QUOTE]I've never (ever) had a problem finding a game, whether it's 5pm or 5am.

It's consistently one of the top 20 XBLA games played online worldwide every week since it came out according to Major Nelson's blog.

[quote name='100xp']

i will definitely pick this up when it goes on sale, I still have a few more decks to completely unlock.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm in the same boat.

However augh they did it again. I can't play the game without deleting and re-downloading the NEW game.

fully unlocked the green, green/black and dragon deck.
Im murder with all 3. lov the dragons and elves deck.
im good in my group of friends but online i always seem to meet friends that double team me.

gonna try and unlock the new decks.

You cannot earn the unlock keys, you can only buy them. It's $1 per key and it will either foil out the deck or unlock all the cards in a deck.

Unlike Yugioh though, if you win ANY match (offline or online) with a deck you earn a card for winning if you haven't already unlocked all the cards for that deck.

I think deck building is the obvious addition. So long as it has that, count me in for this one. I got my $10 out of the first one.

[quote name='zewone']Read from bottom to top.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I finally beat that Vampire deck, god it's as bad as my old Sliver deck. Nobody would play me back in high school when I had that deck haha.

bread's done
Back