XBLA - Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - 1200pts

Well, considering my copy of Blazblue won't be in till next week, I went ahead and jumped on this. If anyone's looking for a fellow new player feel free to shot me an add or invite anytime.

Freaking hype. Buying it when I get home. Interesting though, I didnt see an achievment for a mega man themed team (Mega man, Roll, Tron Bone, Servbot). Seems like beating it with any 3 if them (specially servbot) should net you some good points.

Honestly, I think the idea of beating up a hardened warrior, giant bot that takes up half the screen, etc with a tiny little girl/legoman who throws flowers is awesome enough on it's own.

I put a little bit of time into practice mode, and I'm beginning to remember that I've never been as good at fighting games as I thought I was. :whistle2:k

Tonight might be painful for me if I go online.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I put a little bit of time into practice mode, and I'm beginning to remember that I've never been as good at fighting games as I thought I was. :whistle2:k

Tonight might be painful for me if I go online.[/QUOTE]

You aren't alone in that, I'm right there with you.

Played it for around a hour, and a half online earlier today. It was fun, and good as I remember it being. I will play it some more tonight. Really worth the 1200 points. I can't say that enough times. :lol:

Yeap easily worth the points since my XBox copy sold for $80+ awhile back. Thats honestly the only reason I had to re-download this. Great game but holy crap do I suck at it and the achievements are beastly. Hope someone figures out "what team" is needed for the sp achievements soon.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Yeap easily worth the points since my XBox copy sold for $80+ awhile back. Thats honestly the only reason I had to re-download this. Great game but holy crap do I suck at it and the achievements are beastly. Hope someone figures out "what team" is needed for the sp achievements soon.[/QUOTE]

Far as the achievements go I might be able to get 3-4 of them. The rest is like... Never gonna happen xD

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Yeap easily worth the points since my XBox copy sold for $80+ awhile back. Thats honestly the only reason I had to re-download this. Great game but holy crap do I suck at it and the achievements are beastly. Hope someone figures out "what team" is needed for the sp achievements soon.[/QUOTE]

That isn't too hard. Using Wikipedia's list...

Avengers:
Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thanos, War Machine
X-Men:
Cable, Colossus, Cyclops, Gambit, Iceman, Juggernaut, Magneto, Marrow, Omega Red, Psylocke, Rogue, Sabretooth, Sentinel, Silver Samurai, Spiral, Storm, Wolverine
Vampire Hunter:
I'm guessing Darkstalkers, so Anakaris, Baby Bonnie Hood, Felicia, Morrigan
Street Fighter:
If you can't figure this one out, you shouldn't be playing this game. :D

The nerd in me wants to know whether "X-Men" includes the Brotherhood mutants like Magneto and Sabretooth, but I guess we'll figure that out down the road. "Avengers" won't include anyone not part of the core group (as shown by the guy who had Spidey in the team but didn't get the achievement)...which makes sense, since probably half of the Marvel universe has been in the Avengers at one point or another. I've got doubts about Thanos and War Machine for the Avengers achievement, so that means that
Cap, Iron Man, and Hulk
are your best bet there.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I am completely awful at this game. Is there any interest in having a CAG room sometime?[/QUOTE]

I would love that. We should have a cag night. :bouncy: Off topic but why does my gametag say privacy settings enabled when I didn't change anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know its a great game, but man the trial is awful, Not a good way to sell the game to people on the fence or those who have never played.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']That isn't too hard. Using Wikipedia's list...

Avengers:
Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thanos, War Machine
X-Men:
Cable, Colossus, Cyclops, Gambit, Iceman, Juggernaut, Magneto, Marrow, Omega Red, Psylocke, Rogue, Sabretooth, Sentinel, Silver Samurai, Spiral, Storm, Wolverine
Vampire Hunter:
I'm guessing Darkstalkers, so Anakaris, Baby Bonnie Hood, Felicia, Morrigan
Street Fighter:
If you can't figure this one out, you shouldn't be playing this game. :D

The nerd in me wants to know whether "X-Men" includes the Brotherhood mutants like Magneto and Sabretooth, but I guess we'll figure that out down the road. "Avengers" won't include anyone not part of the core group (as shown by the guy who had Spidey in the team but didn't get the achievement)...which makes sense, since probably half of the Marvel universe has been in the Avengers at one point or another. I've got doubts about Thanos and War Machine for the Avengers achievement, so that means that
Cap, Iron Man, and Hulk
are your best bet there.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihe-9IUdnTU

Also wanted to add that this is the only fighting game in which I don't get mad or frustrated after losing.

Looking to play some people tonight, hopefully in about an hour or so.

I'll incentivize - you WILL win against me. Sure, I'll flail around like a dork and attempt to play, but you WILL win.

So hit me up if anyone is lookin' to throw down.

[quote name='BlueScrote']Anybody have tips or links to some good beginners tips? I've been using Storm/Sentinel/Cyclops and doing *okay*[/QUOTE]

hope u have cyclops as AA the upper cut thing which is hot. Uhh DHC for storm sent is pretty over powered.
Pretty much as storm - lk>lp>hk>sj.lk>lp>lp>lk>lk+hp> QCF lp+hp xxx QCF lk+hk> hp >qcf hp

timing on the QCF lk+hk is a little tight? pretty much right when storm finishes her special and the opponent begins to fall do sents rocket punch special. I tap heavy punch each time it hits to get the timing right for the "hp > qcf hp" finish. The first part of the combo is sorta bnb stuff for storm. just a simple luncher into lightning punch>special. works well but with sent as next in line u can do some serious damage w/ 2 meters.

sent - lpx2>qcf lp> qcf LK+HK pretty nice combo when people are all over ure shit. timing make take a bit to get used to. u can do it too slow and not connect and too fast where u cancel the qcf lp before it hits.

Edit: There is a bunch more basic play for storm and sent. storm qcf hk > QCB LP+HP combos good to hit assist characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't realize u had to go undefeated for the team sp achievements. I guess thats means i'll have to get semi decent again lol.

I'll have to get a guinea pig for the 200+ hits achievements.

The sp achievements are easy as hell.

Turn damage up to 4 in the options
choose Easy mode
all projectile assists
no continues

Avengers- team of 3 Iron Men, spam qcf+p
Darkstalkers - 3 B.B. Hoods, spam b,f+p or b,f+k
X-men - 3 cables, spam HP and throw in qcf+p
World Warriors - haven't done this yet, but I'm assuming Ryu or Akuma would be easy to spam with

throw in some assists and use supers; change out characters before they die and use hyper combos if you want

The CPU gets wise a bit, but mixing the spam with some slight skills to push them back will get you everything. The last boss is the easiest match-- beat the first two normally, but save up your meter and kill the last form with one hyper combo

Do you need to win by KO and not time for the sp achievements? I didnt unlock the SF one with 3 Ryus, and the only reason I can think of was because I timed out on a stage, but I still won.

I was able to get the Avengers with 3 Iron Mans, and the Xmen with 3 Cables pretty easily. Interesting how Avengers gets you 20 while the others only get you 10.

What button assignment are you arcade stick users doing? Because I have six face buttons like a traditional Street Fighter cabinet but it appears the game only has 2 punches and 2 kicks, the other two being assist buttons. However, I'm used to using all six buttons for punch and kicks because I'm used to Street Fighter games and I haven't played Mv.C games in forever. I'm sure that the cabinets had the traditional six button layout and that brought the concept of 2 punch, 2 kick, and 2 assist. However, it's throwing me off coming from SFIIHD Remix and SFIV. Any ideas?

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Didn't realize u had to go undefeated for the team sp achievements. I guess thats means i'll have to get semi decent again lol.

I'll have to get a guinea pig for the 200+ hits achievements.[/QUOTE]

You can do it in local multiplayer if you have a second controller.

[quote name='R1V3R5']What button assignment are you arcade stick users doing? Because I have six face buttons like a traditional Street Fighter cabinet but it appears the game only has 2 punches and 2 kicks, the other two being assist buttons. However, I'm used to using all six buttons for punch and kicks because I'm used to Street Fighter games and I haven't played Mv.C games in forever. I'm sure that the cabinets had the traditional six button layout and that brought the concept of 2 punch, 2 kick, and 2 assist. However, it's throwing me off coming from SFIIHD Remix and SFIV. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

LP HP ASSIST 1
LK HK ASSIST 2

either use the american straight across layout or the japanese curved layout. I prefer the japanese because its easier to slide my fingers from LP+HP to HK. ASSIST 1 = Second character on your team. ASSIST 2 = the bottom character on your team.

Ive lost my last 4 ranked matches because of time, I suppose its something I need to pay attention to more, but I wish they would put in infinite.

[quote name='BlueScrote']Anybody have tips or links to some good beginners tips? I've been using Storm/Sentinel/Cyclops and doing *okay*[/QUOTE]

You did better than I did last night. Until playing others, I had forgotten how long it's been since I played and even then, I wasn't good.

This game is awesome! I just recently got into fighters, and before that, my only exposure to this game was through the occasional run-in at an arcade, where 99.9% of the time, I had no cash or quarters, so I've only played it twice.

I'm so happy I got this though. Its awesome.

My TE stick ships today :)

I can't wait since playing this game all night on a controller made my thumb so sore.

Walrus and I had some great matches too, just wish he had a mic.

gah, the demo is the PSN one. Local only. What a godawful waste of a 200mb download.

So from what I've read the online is fine? Dealbreaker on this game

Anyone else dissapointed that the people getting it on PSN gotta wait 2 more weeks? I was just gonna buy it on xbox but dont own an arcade stick (prefer the PS controller anyway) and my one buddy only owns PS3. Damn, all this talk of people playing is driving me nuts. About to just double dip and get it for both systems but being too much of a CAG to do it.

So DL'd and started playing last night (I suck!) and teh funnies happened.

I was Jill Valentine and I summoned a Zombie. Then I summoned a Raven, which flew down and hit the zombie in the back of the head, knocking it over. But the zombie fell forward, right at the feet of my opponent and it quickly grabbed their legs and started munching.

It's like a retarded combo!

I got hosed out of 2 achievements.

I beat the game with a Street Fighter team: Ken, Ryu, & Akuma...no achievement.
I beat a guy in under 15seconds...no achievement.

Any of you guys having issues with achievements?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']gah, the demo is the PSN one. Local only. What a godawful waste of a 200mb download.

So from what I've read the online is fine? Dealbreaker on this game[/QUOTE]

online is good...I had 1 laggy ranked match last night. played 20games. I actually faught him twice, the second time it was smooth so I dunno what the deal w/ that 1 game. :whee: best game to compare it to is sf2hdr since it probably uses the same netcode.

I noticed in player match rooms if you pick low tier typically other players will pick the same type of characters. But if u go all santhrax(storm, sent, capcom) they will pull out higher tier characters as well. so im definitely digging online. ranked obviously u wanna pick the best characters to win. quarter rooms are great fun.

[quote name='tankass'] Damn, all this talk of people playing is driving me nuts. About to just double dip and get it for both systems but being too much of a CAG to do it.[/QUOTE]

you can also do gamesharing to help lower the cost if you are going to double dip

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I got hosed out of 2 achievements.

I beat the game with a Street Fighter team: Ken, Ryu, & Akuma...no achievement.
I beat a guy in under 15seconds...no achievement.

Any of you guys having issues with achievements?[/QUOTE]

i hear that you also can't continue.

Well then...that's where I failed :oops:

Except for the beat a guy in under 15secs. no Idea why I didn't get that one. Tried it twice and nothing...maybe cause I tried in 'easy' instead of normal?

15 secs is for beating the entire team, not just one person. I got it just fine. Just do Magneto's Down+Y attack.

And yes, you can't continue for the "team" achievements.

[quote name='nnthomas']15 secs is for beating the entire team, not just one person. I got it just fine. Just do Magneto's Down+Y attack.

And yes, you can't continue for the "team" achievements.[/QUOTE]

Entire team :shock:

Thanks for the tip on Magneto, I'll have to try that later today.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Well then...that's where I failed :oops:

Except for the beat a guy in under 15secs. no Idea why I didn't get that one. Tried it twice and nothing...maybe cause I tried in 'easy' instead of normal?[/QUOTE]

Entire team and I'm pretty sure you have to do it on multiplayer, not single.

What arcade sticks is everybody using? I've perused the Arcade stick thread, and it seems I want a HAPP stick for MVC2, but I'm not particularly sure where I would get one for a decent price.

If HAPP sticks aren't actually available for retail (i.e. you need to mod it in), what other sticks have a nice hard spring to the stick thats good for MvC2?

I ask here instead of the stick thread because, well, The only fighting game I'm really playing at the moment is MVC2 so I figured I'd ask those who are playing it :roll:

[quote name='zewone']Entire team and I'm pretty sure you have to do it on multiplayer, not single.[/QUOTE]

Entire team, and it has to be multi-player. You might as well give up on that one Linkin. ;)

[quote name='zewone']Entire team and I'm pretty sure you have to do it on multiplayer, not single.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jman619']Entire team, and it has to be multi-player. You might as well give up on that one Linkin. ;)[/QUOTE]

I thought I saw Arcade...if that's the case I know I won't be getting that one unless I'm boosting with someone :oops:

[quote name='BlueScrote']What arcade sticks is everybody using? I've perused the Arcade stick thread, and it seems I want a HAPP stick for MVC2, but I'm not particularly sure where I would get one for a decent price.

If HAPP sticks aren't actually available for retail (i.e. you need to mod it in), what other sticks have a nice hard spring to the stick thats good for MvC2?

I ask here instead of the stick thread because, well, The only fighting game I'm really playing at the moment is MVC2 so I figured I'd ask those who are playing it :roll:[/QUOTE]Unfortunately there really isn't any retail option for a HAPP-style stick. There are some independent companies like Arcade In A Box that will make them though. So you could go for something like this: http://aiabstore.com/product.sc?categoryId=12&productId=12 It costs more than a T.E. but if you are dead-set on using HAPP style controls (which I can understand!) then it's one of your best bets.

Your only other option would be to contact a custom stick builder or order a bunch of parts yourself! Believe me though, I feel your pain, I put a lot of time and thought (and $$$) into getting a custom U.S.A. style joystick setup for my 360!

If you aren't that committed to HAPP though then you might as well get a T.E. as others have suggested. It seems to be the best out-of-the-box Japanese style joystick out there, and it was designed by a CAG!

bread's done
Back