XBLA - Pac-Man Championship Edition - 800pts

fuck this. Pac-Man for $10 will never be worth it, they should have incorporated this spankin' new graphics in one of the other versions on XBLA. However, like Boom Boom Rocket, this would be considerable at 400 points, but 800 is ridiculous. The horizontal style reminds me of the little I know about the Atari 2600 Pac-Man, which was supposed to suck horribly.. Besides, everyone knows Ms. Pac-Man owns the market(or are they waiting to release Ms. Pac-Man: Championship Edition?)

Some might be complaining about Pac-Man, but I think most are complaining about the price and the fact that this really isn't very historic in VG history.

Hmmmm, this looks like a pass, but honestly, I haven't had pac man as one of my favorite games in the last 20 years. If I still considered Pac Man as one of my favorite games, I think I'd fork over $10 for this in a heartbeat. It actually looks interesting.

Really, when I was a kid and imagined the future of gaming, it wasn't games like Oblivion, Mario 64, Halo 3 over live that I imagined, I really imagined games closer to this (the old school games with special effects, etc that weren't possible back then).

I'm with the group, at 400, I'd give the demo a chance, not sure I will at 800, since I don't want to be intrigured enough to pick it up. Too many 800 games (Works, Catan) that I haven't gotten yet to fork over 800 for this.

I have to admit, I liked this game a lot more than I thought I would.
At $5, i could give my recommendation to purchase this game, but at $10, its kind of a tough sell.

For $10, they should have included standard pac-man and ms. pac-man OR at least give you a discount if you bought either of the original games.

I don't think we need $20 worth of Pac-man games on XBL Arcade.

Thanks for the feedback Cheapy.

As pointed out I don't think people are complaining that it is Pac Man, per se, but the price point.

[quote name='terribledeli']I'm sure this release will give Billy Mitchell another reason not to hang himself[/QUOTE]
That sucks.

[quote name='CheapyD']
I don't think we need $20 worth of Pac-man games on XBL Arcade.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.
They could of easily have done a Pac-Man/Mrs Pac-Man combo, like they did with Centipede/Millipede and charged 400 points. This is a new game, so it's nothing REALLY to whine about, but for $10, yeah they could of given us at least some multiplayer options--even just one!

But I have to admit, I spent 800 points on it..I don't regret it.
1) I'm a Pac-Man fan
2) It's fun

It IS a fun way of playing.. so it's really good. Perfect example of a 25+ year old arcade classic brought up into the year 2007 w/ no changes in gameplay and it STILL be fun. For that alone, :applause:

As a Pac-Man fan and owner of Ms. Pac-Man on Live Arcade...

First...

Ms. Pac-Man is the best of the series by a LARGE margin (even with the semi-meh controls on Live) and deserved an update more than Pac-Man.

Second...

800 points? Please. People know what that equates to in dollars.

See, I don't mind this being 800 points. It IS a bit steep, but regardless of what people want to think..it really is something special. It IS a true sequel to Pac-Man, and it only took 26 years, lmao.

So no, in the long run I DO think it's worth the $10. It won't be for everyone, but that's anygame.

HOWEVER, if we see "Ms Pac-Man Championship Edition"..THEN we get the pitchforks & torches because THAT right there will be a punch in the face.

I kind of doubt they'll do the Ms. Pac-Man CE thing...but at the same time, never underestimate the MS ability to milk XBox Live content until it's beyond dead. Really, with SFII and Pac-Man getting rereleases with revamped content, how long before we start receiving the rest of the 80's/early 90's XBLA games that sold well the first time around? Doom Redux? Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Fatality Edition?

800 points is too steep and I do mind it being that price. I have other games that I'll turn to in protest, though I thoroughly enjoyed the demo.

Multiplayer should be a requirement of the 800 point level.

That said, a sweet Live Pac-Man multiplayer would be modeled after Pac Man Vs. - that was a freaking blast on GCN.

Even if Shiggy came up with Pac-Man Vs. that doesn't mean Namco is prevented from releasing a Pac Man game with multiplayer.

They could even have some play ghosts while one plays as Pac, if they did it in a different style, and they'd have to as there's no GBA involved, I think they'd be just fine.

Not to mention it'd be hella fun.

Things I love about this game:

The SPEED. It goes FAST. If the turbo mod of Ms. Pac-Man is your favorite version, you MUST buy this.

The Combo system. Eating power pellets in succession extends the bonus multiplyer on ghosts.

The expanding mazes. Finishing the dots on one half of the maze unveiles a fruit, that when eaten, reveals more of the maze.

The countdown timer. Ten minutes (in some modes) is all you'll ever have. EAT. NOW.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite XBLA titles, and I have over 40 of them.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']
This is quickly becoming one of my favorite XBLA titles, and I have over 40 of them.[/QUOTE]

QFT, thank you :)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Does the game come with any free gamerpics?[/QUOTE]

Just checked--Yes it does. Comes with an HD version of the red ghost. Kinda looks like a dark red/purple.

[quote name='lilboo']Just checked--Yes it does. Comes with an HD version of the red ghost. Kinda looks like a dark red/purple.[/quote]

Hmmm..I wonder If I'll get that with the demo. Thanks lilboo.

[quote name='lilboo']See, I don't mind this being 800 points. It IS a bit steep, but regardless of what people want to think..it really is something special. It IS a true sequel to Pac-Man, and it only took 26 years, lmao.

So no, in the long run I DO think it's worth the $10. It won't be for everyone, but that's anygame.

HOWEVER, if we see "Ms Pac-Man Championship Edition"..THEN we get the pitchforks & torches because THAT right there will be a punch in the face.[/QUOTE]

Let's not forget that you have tons of FREE points at your disposal. Honestly, would you have spent $10 on it (not a jab at you, just wondering)?

Now all we need is Microsoft to fix the godawful DPAD on the 360 controller so I don't have to use my wired Hori controllers!

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Let's not forget that you have tons of FREE points at your disposal. Honestly, would you have spent $10 on it (not a jab at you, just wondering)?[/QUOTE]

You bring up a VERY good point! I was thinking about this too earlier. Yeah, with 14,000 points (now 13,000 and something lol) it IS easier to make an impulse buy and be really unaffected by it.

If I had 0 points, or any points in my account were actually bought.. I honestly DO think I would of purchased this. The $10 is steep, but I DO think I would have paid $10 for this. But, that is because I am a Pac-Man fan and have always been. I like the gameplay, the concept of it..and now it's pretty :)

Well that, and I haven't downloaded an arcade game in 2-3 weeks..so I was really wanting a new one..LOL So I think that also adds to the fact that I probably would of paid for it anyway.

Maybe it's me, but I support these remakes. I'm also really enjoying Centipede/Milliepede remake. If we can get an updated Space Invaders I'll be happy! Very happy!

I hope this made sense..LOL

[quote name='KaneRobot']I kind of doubt they'll do the Ms. Pac-Man CE thing...but at the same time, never underestimate the MS ability to milk XBox Live content until it's beyond dead. Really, with SFII and Pac-Man getting rereleases with revamped content, how long before we start receiving the rest of the 80's/early 90's XBLA games that sold well the first time around? Doom Redux? Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Fatality Edition?[/QUOTE]

Final Doom showed up on the ESRB list a while ago. I won't be surprised if get an N64 port along the way as well.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']
The SPEED. It goes FAST. If the turbo mod of Ms. Pac-Man is your favorite version, you MUST buy this.[/QUOTE]

Damn. I soooo want to hate this release but if this is like Turbo Ms Pac, then it looks like I may be blowing 800pts this week. :(

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Things I love about this game:

The SPEED. It goes FAST. If the turbo mod of Ms. Pac-Man is your favorite version, you MUST buy this.

[/quote]

That's a good thing for sure.

Damn...word on the street is that everyone is loving this...I'm afraid to play the demo now as I don't want to buy it at 800pts if I end up liking it.

I'm an unashamed Pac-Fan, and while I groaned at the announcement, after playing the demo, I quickly dropped points on it. Multiplayer modes would have been nice, but I can see myself playing this for some time to come. Utterly intense and absorbing.

After I play the demo a few more times, I will probably drop some points on it. Definately a lot of fun, and a lot better than I thought it would be.

It's great, but it's easy for my Pac-Man Championship Edition is now 200/200 points. Go me! w00t!

Though, it IS awesome now that I own all 3 versions of Pac-Man have 200 on each of them :)

[quote name='akilshohen']it's prett fun, but now I see how much the Dpad sucks[/quote]

This is my biggest problem. I might have to build a custom 4-way joystick. Ms. Pac-man was almost unplayable for me - I can usually top 100,000 or so in the arcade but I was struggling to clear 60,000 on XBLA because of the crappy controls. I lose about a life per game because I try to switch directions quickly and Ms. Pac-man goes crazy.

[quote name='javeryh']This is my biggest problem. I might have to build a custom 4-way joystick. Ms. Pac-man was almost unplayable for me - I can usually top 100,000 or so in the arcade but I was struggling to clear 60,000 on XBLA because of the crappy controls. I lose about a life per game because I try to switch directions quickly and Ms. Pac-man goes crazy.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't MadCatz have an arcade stick?

There is also Hori with their fighting stick.

[quote name='Sporadic']Does MadCatz have an arcade stick?[/quote]

Yes:

$39.99 @ ebgames/gamestop

* Official licensed Xbox 360 product.

* Full-height joystick for the ultimate arcade experience.

* 360 degree spinned control for all new types of gaming experiences.

* Includes 3 Xbox Live® Arcade games: Frogger®, Timepilot & Astropop.

* Includes FREE Xbox Live Gold Trial Membership.

* Works great with all Xbox 360 games.

* PC USB compatible.

why wouldn't you use the joystick? it's more like a 4-way than the dpad, and i'd say it's more accurate. I haven't had any problems with the demo, then again I'm not a hardcore pac-er.

I am disappointed that I liked the demo so much, yet it's 800 overpriced points.

All of the arcade sticks are 8-ways (to my knowledge) so it wouldn't fix the diagonal problem when playing a game like Pac-man. For example, when the "down-left" diagonal is pressed should Pac-man move down or left? The joystick just doesn't know which sometimes causes Pac-man to go the wrong way or even stop completely.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yes:

$39.99 @ ebgames/gamestop

* Official licensed Xbox 360 product.

* Full-height joystick for the ultimate arcade experience.

* 360 degree spinned control for all new types of gaming experiences.

* Includes 3 Xbox Live® Arcade games: Frogger®, Timepilot & Astropop.

* Includes FREE Xbox Live Gold Trial Membership.

* Works great with all Xbox 360 games.

* PC USB compatible.[/quote]
Some reviews:
http://www.retroblast.com/reviews/madcatz.htm
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/71/Mad-Catz-Arcade-GameStick/p1/
http://www.canadahifi.com/review65.php
http://gear.ign.com/articles/765/765614p1.html

Seems to be mixed bag, love it/hate it/meh. :D

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I love the reversal of opinions in this thread. For the first 3+ pages, everyone is bitching. Thereafter, everyone seems to be loving it.[/quote]

no I'm still bitching - 800 points is too much. but like I said the first time around, the demo is fun.

[quote name='javeryh']All of the arcade sticks are 8-ways (to my knowledge) so it wouldn't fix the diagonal problem when playing a game like Pac-man. For example, when the "down-left" diagonal is pressed should Pac-man move down or left? The joystick just doesn't know which sometimes causes Pac-man to go the wrong way or even stop completely.[/quote]

Perhaps a skilled gamer could develop a "track" insert for the joystick that limits its movements to 4 directions, like a gate for a car's shifter.

Every d-pad should look like the Dual Shock d-pad or the old SNES pads. Those circular ones like on the Xbox controllers make it too easy to screw up with diagonals.

Damn I just played the demo... I love it!

I will most likely buy it. This game isn't half assed and I will change my opinion it probaly is worth $10. :whistle2:$

This thread should serve as a memo to Nintendo VC folks that seem to think that demos aren't necessary. A good demo can very simply and quickly turn opinion towards a title positive, it's that clear cut.

bread's done
Back