XBLA Sales| CLOSED THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
THREAD HAS MOVED TO HERE.

Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This include the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you doesn't see anything listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

11/8 - Legendary Warriors

XBLA:
-Deadliest Warrior: The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Scott Pilgrim The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Shinobi - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic

-Deadliest Warrior Samurai Helmet - 80 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Scott Pilgrim Guitar (Prop) - 120 Microsoft Points - 50% off

Family Gold Pack Deal:

Misc Sales:

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']I do agree. Many console gamers' minds just cannot handle DLC in any way shape or form. Thankfully the majority doesn't seem to mind, but we always have to read the crazy complaints here and in other forums.[/QUOTE]

Quality DLC developed after the game, or at least alongside the game further in development, is great and exciting - ideally when it's priced appropriately.

DLC that was clearly held back for the sake of being sold after the game's release, a handful of maps being sold for a quarter of the price of the game at full MSRP, and especially paid disc unlocks - bullshit.

There, my unwanted opinion on the matter.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Quality DLC developed after the game, or at least alongside the game further in development, is great and exciting - ideally when it's priced appropriately.

DLC that was clearly held back for the sake of being sold after the game's release, a handful of maps being sold for a quarter of the price of the game at full MSRP, and especially paid disc unlocks - bullshit.

There, my unwanted opinion on the matter.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty reasonable. I think people just can't get their minds around the idea that some content would never be produced if it was not produced concurrently with the main game. They take the 'should have been included with the game' approach no matter how full and satisfying the game may already be on its own.

DLC is annoying because it is impermanent. It relies on the service providing it more often than not. And the question of buying more game for $15 down the line is not an easy answer especially since you're buying more of a game you've usually already completed and purged from your system. Consider the long line of unsatisfying DLC and you've got something with a certain stigma for sure.

[quote name='eastx']That's pretty reasonable. I think people just can't get their minds around the idea that some content would never be produced if it was not produced concurrently with the main game.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely - if the intention hadn't been to charge for it independently, it wouldn't have had the development budget signed off and wouldn't have been made at all. (Maybe not in all cases, of course!)

This applies for on-disc unlocks too, of course. So they managed to get the DLC finished before the game went gold, and included it on the disc to save us having to download it. Why does that make them bad guys?

And of course most DLC is shit. It's an extension of games, and most games are shovelware and shit. We usually focus on good games, but for some reason a lot of people here like to focus on bad DLC. Strange!

[quote name='Blade']Most DLC can suck my balls. Things that are included in the full game but rendered off-limits by the developers unless you spend an extra $15--Fable, Crimson Alliance, and so on--are just cheap marketing ploys. Same goes for content that could've been added before release, but were held back and offered later, like some of the maps in the Gears and COD franchises. In my opinion, the only company that gets DLC right is Valve, with its completely free DLC distribution to L4D2 players on Steam.[/QUOTE]

And Harmonix.

If we're talking DLC, I feel like music games are justifiable in how they charge. Considering the paperwork behind the artist and the tracking for 4 (or more depending on keys or pro mode), $2 isn't shabby.

As for multiplayer games, I feel like that stuff should be free. There needs to be something that entices people to constantly play your game. The DLC that we get now just factions the game into hardcore people who will eat that stuff up and people who won't.

There's a lot of games that are just too sketchy though. Kane and Lynch 2 had DLC pretty early on, Skydrift has DLC already, it came out only a few weeks ago. That stuff is just dumb.

[quote name='Blade']Most DLC can suck my balls. Things that are included in the full game but rendered off-limits by the developers unless you spend an extra $15--Fable, Crimson Alliance, and so on--are just cheap marketing ploys. Same goes for content that could've been added before release, but were held back and offered later, like some of the maps in the Gears and COD franchises. In my opinion, the only company that gets DLC right is Valve, with its completely free DLC distribution to L4D2 players on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Nah, fuck Valve. Mandatory DRM, lightweight initial releases, and insanely priced item shops. They are just as bad as anyone else on PC. They are trying to make money like all those other evil bastards.

You should have said CD Projekt. Now there's a company that truly has no actual business plan. They release major gameplay overhauls months/years after release, offer large amounts of free DLC to game that absolutely don't lack in content, and there's not an ounce of DRM to speak of.

After the great sales last week, I wasn't expecting another good one. I was almost certain Risk: Factions would be on sale this week for the 700th time.

Anyways, I already picked up Magic 2012 cause I loved the first one, but I was wondering what people's opinions are on Catan and Quake Arena Arcade?

It seems like Catan is pretty popular, and I tried the demo and found it interesting. Dunno if it's something I could find myself getting lost in, but it seems like a good value at $5. Does it have lasting appeal or does it get boring fast?

As for QAA, I also tried the demo of that since I used to play a lot of Quake back during the Dreamcast days, but it feels like it didn't age too well. I know the game was 1200 MSP at release, then it dropped to 800, and now its on sale for 400. It seems like the perfect price point, but I hear the online community is dead and the game controls just feel kinda... wonky.

As much as I hate "DLC on the disc" look at all the problems MK had with online play because of the DLC.

Back on-topic

I recommend you pick up Shadow Complex of you like Metroidvania style games.

If you have Fallout 3 and can only get 1 DLC, get Broken Steel.

[quote name='reddjoey']As much as I hate "DLC on the disc" look at all the problems MK had with online play because of the DLC.

Back on-topic

If you have Fallout 3 and can only get 1 DLC, get Broken Steel.[/QUOTE]
MK 9 has bad online even without those DLC issues.

[quote name='reddjoey']As much as I hate "DLC on the disc" look at all the problems MK had with online play because of the DLC.

Back on-topic

If you have Fallout 3 and can only get 1 DLC, get Broken Steel.[/QUOTE]

I second Broken Steel. IMO, from best to worst, probably Broken Steel > Point Lookout > Operation Anchorage > The Pitt > Mothership Zeta

Catan is pretty good, easy enough to find multiplayer online but no one on my friends list also has it. Hope this isn't too off topic but anyone want to help out with the "Invite a someone into a game of Catan" achievement and I'll do the same? Just send me a pm or reply to this, thanks.

[quote name='reddjoey']I recommend you pick up Shadow Complex of you like Metroidvania style games.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. Shadow Complex is one of those XBLA games that everyone should own (unless you really can't stand Metroidvania games for whatever reason).

[quote name='Cheapskate']Seconded. Shadow Complex is one of those XBLA games that everyone should own (unless you really can't stand Metroidvania games for whatever reason).[/QUOTE]

I don't enjoy Metroid or Castlevania games and still liked Shadow Complex, so even Metroidvania haters have no excuse :)

[quote name='mikeja72']Catan is pretty good, easy enough to find multiplayer online but no one on my friends list also has it. Hope this isn't too off topic but anyone want to help out with the "Invite a someone into a game of Catan" achievement and I'll do the same? Just send me a pm or reply to this, thanks.[/QUOTE]

I'll help. Send me a friend request and hopefully we'll be on XBL at the same time this weekend.

[quote name='Cheapskate']Seconded. Shadow Complex is one of those XBLA games that everyone should own (unless you really can't stand Metroidvania games for whatever reason).[/QUOTE]

I love metroidvania games and hated shadow complex. I guess I must be a minority. I found the story heavy handed and the gameplay not to my liking.

For most people though it's probably a good deal. Just play the demo first and make sure you get into it. I wanted to like the game as it was on sale when I tried it but I just disliked the whole package.

[quote name='biledriver']I love metroidvania games and hated shadow complex. I guess I must be a minority. I found the story heavy handed and the gameplay not to my liking.

For most people though it's probably a good deal. Just play the demo first and make sure you get into it. I wanted to like the game as it was on sale when I tried it but I just disliked the whole package.[/QUOTE]

Im in the same boat as you man. I couldn't get into shadow complex, but I love metroid and castlevania, espically SOTN. Also does anyone play Doom 2 online? I had it awhile back and have been looking to see if more people would play it since its on sale and its a ghost town.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']Im in the same boat as you man. I couldn't get into shadow complex, but I love metroid and castlevania, espically SOTN. Also does anyone play Doom 2 online? I had it awhile back and have been looking to see if more people would play it since its on sale and its a ghost town.[/QUOTE]

I have tried several times to find a game this week for doom2 online. But no luck whatsoever. I even tried different times of the day, Sadly it's just dead.

Doom 2 has online co-op for the campaign, right? I've had it for a while and have yet to start it so I'd greatly prefer to co-op it if possible. Feel free to send me a FR and we can set up a game sometime, granted that may be real late at night these days.

On a semi-related note I was also really disappointed by the online traffic of Quake Arena, which was absolutely nothing when I tried last. At least it has an offline mode but I was really looking to trying it out online. I missed that whole era of PC gaming and it seems like a neat throwback with tons of maps and crazy weapons.

[quote name='gubmccargen']On a semi-related note I was also really disappointed by the online traffic of Quake Arena, which was absolutely nothing when I tried last. At least it has an offline mode but I was really looking to trying it out online. I missed that whole era of PC gaming and it seems like a neat throwback with tons of maps and crazy weapons.[/QUOTE]

Try giving Quake Live a spin instead. It's free to play.

Thanks for the tip. I've seen that mentioned a few times recently and have been meaning to give it a try. I used to love the original Doom and Quake back in the day and remember going online with AOL to find IP addresses for active servers. In the later '90s I was too busy with Nintendo 64 to pay attention to PC gaming so I missed that whole in-between time of the later Quakes and Arenas.

Saints Row 2 - 1200 Microsoft Points ($15US) - 25% off
DAMMIT! I just bought this 18 months ago, coulda saved 400 points. Thanks for screwing me over, THQ, this is literally the worst thing that ever happened to me! And don't try that ridiculous "we listed it at a price, you agreed to that price", because I didn't know you were going to drop the price less than two years later. :evil:

LOUD NOISES.

[quote name='PenguinJim']DAMMIT! I just bought this 18 months ago, coulda saved 400 points. Thanks for screwing me over, THQ, this is literally the worst thing that ever happened to me! And don't try that ridiculous "we listed it at a price, you agreed to that price", because I didn't know you were going to drop the price less than two years later. :evil:

LOUD NOISES.[/QUOTE]

Quit being so clever, damn you.

[quote name='PenguinJim']DAMMIT! I just bought this 18 months ago, coulda saved 400 points. Thanks for screwing me over, THQ, this is literally the worst thing that ever happened to me! And don't try that ridiculous "we listed it at a price, you agreed to that price", because I didn't know you were going to drop the price less than two years later. :evil:

LOUD NOISES.[/QUOTE]

:lol::applause:

I tried the demos for Doom and Quake, but I didnt enjoy them nearly as much as when I played them on the PC back in the day, or when I played arena at a LAN party a couple years ago. I agree that controls in Quale just feel "wonky".

Here's my personal rankings for these types of retro shooters on xbla (based on demos):

Quake Arena < Doom 2 < Serious Sam < Duke Nukem 3D

Oh I tried the demos for Bionic Commando last week too, and didn't care for them that much. Good updates to a classic game though.

[quote name='seppuku']I tried the demos for Doom and Quake, but I didnt enjoy them nearly as much as when I played them on the PC back in the day, or when I played arena at a LAN party a couple years ago. I agree that controls in Quale just feel "wonky".

Here's my personal rankings for these types of retro shooters on xbla (based on demos):

Oh I tried the demos for Bionic Commando last week too, and didn't care for them that much. Good updates to a classic game though.[/QUOTE]

The demo doesn't do the first Bionic Commando justice. Bionic
commando 2 on the other hand.....

[quote name='seppuku']I tried the demos for Doom and Quake, but I didnt enjoy them nearly as much as when I played them on the PC back in the day, or when I played arena at a LAN party a couple years ago. I agree that controls in Quale just feel "wonky".

Oh I tried the demos for Bionic Commando last week too, and didn't care for them that much. Good updates to a classic game though.[/QUOTE]

Are you my doppelganger? This is honestly exactly how I feel about all of these games. Bionic Commando was one of my absolute favorite NES games. I was so excited for Rearmed, but playing it did absolutely nothing for me. I pushed myself to complete it, but if it had been any other game I wouldn't have completed it. I recognize that it's well made and there are things to like about it, but I didn't enjoy it.

Doom is the game that made me into a PC gamer (and the reason I didn't have a console between the SNES and 360) and I put countless hours into the four games you listed above. However, I own a couple of that era's shooters on XBLA and never play them.

I've never been into things just for the nostalgia. I loved Transformers as a kid, hated the first movie, and didn't bother with the next two. At one point shortly after getting my teeth I was totally into bland pureed carrots, but these days I like my food a little more solid. I've grown up and moved on to other things. It can be fun to load up these games and play the first couple of levels that I'd played over and over, but there are so many great new experiences to be had that I'm not going to take the time to play through the Doom 2 campaign again.

Even @ 400 msp, quake arena arcade is tempting but knowing it's mainly focused and based on online multiplayer it sucks since hardly anyone ever is online. Is the online still dead or do people still play it online?

That Quake Live exists is probably a great reason NOT to bother with Quake 3 Arcade unless your computer is so weak you can't even manage their Flash-based Q3 port.

[quote name='louiedog']Are you my doppelganger? This is honestly exactly how I feel about all of these games. Bionic Commando was one of my absolute favorite NES games. I was so excited for Rearmed, but playing it did absolutely nothing for me. I pushed myself to complete it, but if it had been any other game I wouldn't have completed it. I recognize that it's well made and there are things to like about it, but I didn't enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

That's strange. BCR1 was a lot of fun for me and I'd say it completely replaces the original BC. But, yeah, I guess shedding the nostalgia hurts the value of it.

Gonna get Carcassone before the deal expires. Anybody interested in trading the game's online achievements? Will probably pick up Magic as well.

[quote name='bomberbadj']Gonna get Carcassone before the deal expires. Anybody interested in trading the games online achievements? Will probably pick up Magic as well.[/QUOTE]

if you want ill help you with magic. If you can (including everyone else) get the dlc aswell. Dont expect a sale on the dlc because i highly doubt that. As for October price drops any news?

Agreed that the Magic DLC is prolly never gonna drop. All though I'm gonna have to wait before I get that - I need to save some points for the GOW 3 maps.

[quote name='bomberbadj']Agreed that the Magic DLC is prolly never gonna drop. All though I'm gonna have to wait before I get that - I need to save some points for the GOW 3 maps.[/QUOTE]

The Magic 2009 DLC never went on sale as far as I know.

[youtube]h25fQNtmGks[/youtube]

My Guardian Heroes impressions (also posted in the Guardian Heroes HD thread):

Got the game a bit early and played through it once. It takes about 1.5 hours or so to run through Story mode, but you'll need to replay it multiple times to see every stage, character, and ending. The game is a bit old-fashioned in some ways, but it holds up great overall.

Tip: Do not play on Easy! You get Achievements but don't unlock characters, which are necessary for another Achievement.

Bad news: second player doesn't earn Achievements, in local multiplayer, anyway. Hopefully that doesn't apply to online games, but I have not checked yet.

[quote name='eastx']Bad news: second player doesn't earn Achievements, in local multiplayer, anyway. Hopefully that doesn't apply to online games, but I have not checked yet.[/QUOTE]

I rage when developers do this shit. It's totally unacceptable!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I rage when developers do this shit. It's totally unacceptable![/QUOTE]

Are you being serious or sarcastic? I can't tell.

I do find it highly annoying, as it provides less of an incentive to play through together as opposed to playing individually. My co-op partners (girlfriend, brother, and son) all dislike it when games do that because they like Achievements too.

On the other hand, if both players earn them in Live games, we'll just switch to playing that way (with my partner on the original system I bought it on, and me on a second system).

well this fucking sucks, my Xbox Live account got hacked and the person bought a game using my points

while Microsoft investigates the issue they've locked down my account

meaning most likely I'm going to miss the sale on the Saints Row 2 DLC :whistle2:(

[quote name='buckythekat']well this fucking sucks, my Xbox Live account got hacked and the person bought a game using my points

while Microsoft investigates the issue they've locked down my account

meaning most likely I'm going to miss the sale on the Saints Row 2 DLC :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

That's terrible. I hope they get it cleared up in time. I can't imagine it would take a whole week to fix it. My World of Warcraft account was hacked twice and they had it all restored within 2 days. Though the emotional damage has never healed. :(

My site just found Sonic 4 for 800 MS points and Domino Master for 400 points. Hopefully these are permanent price drops, especially for Sonic 4.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']That's terrible. I hope they get it cleared up in time. I can't imagine it would take a whole week to fix it. My World of Warcraft account was hacked twice and they had it all restored within 2 days. Though the emotional damage has never healed. :([/QUOTE]

they said it could take up to 25 business days :hot:

[quote name='Spylon']My site just found Sonic 4 for 800 MS points and Domino Master for 400 points. Hopefully these are permanent price drops, especially for Sonic 4.[/QUOTE]

"Sonic 4" for the 5th time! ... Won't Sega/MS just kill the darn thing? :)

[quote name='RollingSkull']That Quake Live exists is probably a great reason NOT to bother with Quake 3 Arcade unless your computer is so weak you can't even manage their Flash-based Q3 port.[/QUOTE]
I feel like I'm leaving an old girlfriend out in the snow ... and she's just not worth $5 to let her come into my house. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Cornelius']I feel like I'm leaving an old girlfriend out in the snow ... and she's just not worth $5 to let her come into my house. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

well if she's turned into a zombie then yeah it's not worth it

(been watching through The Walking Dead Season 1)

They don't need to kill Sonic 4, just drop it down to 400 MSP for a sale finally. 600 would make it a tough decision but I bet myself and plenty of others would cave in. 800 just seems like it should have been the original price. Sega needs to get it that people just aren't biting at that price. They're usually so good about dropping Arcade titles to 400 but have just been so darn stubborn with this one.

Also, I hear you bucky. Mine got hacked a few months ago with thousands of points transferred out. It took about a month but everything was eventually restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back