Xbox 250GB S Int.HDD-& Wifi N-$299-Out Now|Kinect out 11/4|$199 Model and bundles

[quote name='GizmoGC']http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/others/0,39037627,62059977,00.htm

Wrong. You can't say something is better when it's not true. And that's from players that are already discontinued. If you want to read more, see here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7219480&postcount=2668

Which I go into several aspects by Blu-ray is not the best Blu-ray player anymore. It's slower, it has less features (no Netflix built in, no VuDu, no Pandora, No Cinemanow, can't play MKVs etc.). In 2008, sure. in 2010? It's not. I really wish people would stop spouting off incorrect facts because they think what they have is the best.[/QUOTE]

You're an ass, right? Glad that we're all in agreement.

A discontinued player certainly can't be included in a comparison of this type. It's not on the market. And by $100, we are talking regular prices, not sale or clearance prices.
Nor does the article you linked to mention prices at all. As far as speeds, I was thinking of the fat PS3, which loads movies faster than the slim. My bad on not being more specific, I s'pose.

As far as the PS3 not having a bunch of features that are irrelevant to Blu-Ray playback, who cares? We were talking about Blu-Ray playback, not media center features.

A common issue with BR players (especially Samsungs) is firmware compatibility with specific disc or special features. Thankfully Sony's console has great compatibility and they update the firmware pretty frequently too.
I never said it was the best, either. But it's still great at what it does. Of course, I do factor in the console's other features like gaming and the crappy web browser when praising it, so I guess that's sort of like considering a bunch of streaming features like you did.

Jeez, I sound like an ad. :p I barely play games on the thing though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some Blu-Ray players have Netflix built in? I didn't even know that...:oops:

I've gotten really into Blu-Rays ever since I bought my PS3 about 2 and a half years ago. Never had any problems with it as a BR player /shrug

no streaming nutflix for me either..i didn't invest in HT gear to watch streaming video.

As long as bluray is around, that's the best PQ and AQ option available, and if I have to wait a month for a "new" release, so be it..no biggie. I'm not in a rush.

[quote name='eastx']You're an ass, right? Glad that we're all in agreement.

A discontinued player certainly can't be included in a comparison of this type. It's not on the market. And by $100, we are talking regular prices, not sale or clearance prices.
Nor does the article you linked to mention prices at all. As far as speeds, I was thinking of the fat PS3, which loads movies faster than the slim. My bad on not being more specific, I s'pose.

As far as the PS3 not having a bunch of features that are irrelevant to Blu-Ray playback, who cares? We were talking about Blu-Ray playback, not media center features.

A common issue with BR players (especially Samsungs) is firmware compatibility with specific disc or special features. Thankfully Sony's console has great compatibility and they update the firmware pretty frequently too.
I never said it was the best, either. But it's still great at what it does. Of course, I do factor in the console's other features like gaming and the crappy web browser when praising it, so I guess that's sort of like considering a bunch of streaming features like you did.

Jeez, I sound like an ad. :p I barely play games on the thing though.[/QUOTE]

It's discontinued because it was replaced by a newer and better Blu-ray player :roll: It just means even back at that point PS3 was lagging behind.

And as you said, if we are talking about BLU-RAY playback, PS3 has been SURPASSED by many other players on the market. Why is it that hard to understand?

PS3 owners just defend the crap out of this machine. I bet it has the best web browser on the market too, right?

When you want stupidity, you want gizmo. Guy was an idiot during the hd dvd days, and he still cant get that toshiba load out of his mouth, he wants more.

[quote name='gsr']no streaming nutflix for me either..i didn't invest in HT gear to watch streaming video.

As long as bluray is around, that's the best PQ and AQ option available, and if I have to wait a month for a "new" release, so be it..no biggie. I'm not in a rush.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

I've never been a huge A/V guy and didn't buy top line equipment etc. so I'm fine with streaming video. I'm a movie buff, not an a/v enthusiast.

I do care about picture quality to some extent, and Blu Ray definitely looks better, and if it's a movie that's heavy on special effects, etc. I'd prefer that route and will usually get the disc even if it's available on streaming.. But for most movies I don't care that much--hence why I only upgraded around 20 of my 350+ DVDs to Blu Ray. So I love having the streaming option available to have a ton of movies to pic through and to always have something to watch without having to pay more for a higher number of discs out at a time plan which I don't need most months.

[quote name='GizmoGC']It's discontinued because it was replaced by a newer and better Blu-ray player :roll: It just means even back at that point PS3 was lagging behind.

And as you said, if we are talking about BLU-RAY playback, PS3 has been SURPASSED by many other players on the market. Why is it that hard to understand?

PS3 owners just defend the crap out of this machine. I bet it has the best web browser on the market too, right?[/QUOTE]

I love the browser, personally. I'm thinking about selling my macbook because all I really used it for was surfing, but the PS3 does that just fine.

Gizmo and the rest of you, shut up about the dang Triple and if it's a good Blu player or not. You're trolling and disrupting the thread. Which, in case you hadn't noticed, is about the new 360.

Now I get to clean out a bunch of useless posts that have nothing to do with the thread topic. Good work, folks.

[quote name='VipFREAK']The games are regular disks not blu ray. Sony probably has been taking more loss than profit on the PS3 in general in terms of what they were trying to ask for. New tech at the time they did it was a lot more expensive.[/QUOTE]

I never said to start making GAMES on Blu-Ray....just add a Blu-Ray drive so you have the option to watch BD movies. I understand that MS could never put games on Blu-Ray at this point.

[quote name='doubledown']I never said to start making GAMES on Blu-Ray....just add a Blu-Ray drive so you have the option to watch BD movies. I understand that MS could never put games on Blu-Ray at this point.[/QUOTE]

give it up already, it's not even that serious. I don't know anyone who is even checking for blu ray movies anymore. Not like there is anywhere really to rent them. Hollywood videos got closed down, hastings did too. I am not going to wait 3 days to receive a blu ray from netflix and ontop of that pay more monthly. You can get a stand alone blu ray player cheap now so even if it was an add-on for 360 it would be pointless really. Besides, blu ray is big on ps3 already supposedly and it's not doing alot for them. Only 2 friends of mine have ps3's and they don't even buy or rent blu rays. It's a waste of $.

Yeah, there's no point in an add-on these days with standalone Blu Ray player prices falling so low and continuing to go down.

The HD DVD drive was because of a deal between MS and Toshiba on the VC1 spec. Unlike MPEG 2/4, VC1 compression could be big bucks for MS if it (HD DVD) caught on. MS had no intentions of ever releasing games on it. They did plan on adding it into the system to compete with PS3, but that was nixed at CES 2008 for obvious reasons.

As it stands, and my whole point before, is there is no need for a Blu drive inside since stand alones are so cheap.

The no space and no need for my PS3 would beg to differ, but yeah since it's M$ a 360 and a PS3 is better. Or I suppose a Stand alone.

My New Xbox 360 had shipped from Amazon Monday afternoon w/ one day shipping, but now, around an hour ago, there was a "Shipping Exception" in Philadelphia on its way from Delaware to here in Minnesota, and now "Shipment is Delayed".

If I don't have my system tomorrow, when I get home from work I will raising more hell than I did with Newegg when they ed up my Halo 3: ODST order and gave me a $75 credit and free overnight shipping on ODST. I'm so angry right now...I've never had such a hard time just trying to ing buy something, it's been an ordeal for over a week now.

Did anyone see the Giant Bomb video where they take out the HDD and the wireless N and boot up the system? That seems like a sign that they could easily release this exact system as an "arcade" if they wanted to.

[quote name='intoxicated662']give it up already, it's not even that serious. I don't know anyone who is even checking for blu ray movies anymore. Not like there is anywhere really to rent them. Hollywood videos got closed down, hastings did too. I am not going to wait 3 days to receive a blu ray from netflix and ontop of that pay more monthly. You can get a stand alone blu ray player cheap now so even if it was an add-on for 360 it would be pointless really. Besides, blu ray is big on ps3 already supposedly and it's not doing alot for them. Only 2 friends of mine have ps3's and they don't even buy or rent blu rays. It's a waste of $.[/QUOTE]

I rent Bu-Rays all the time for my PS3....I still think MS could've integrated a Blu-Ray drive for the price they are selling it. Oh well...not a big deal, but it would've been nice.

Yeah, if you are really worried about xbox getting a blue ray add on you must not understand what CAG is about.

You should have easilly been able to find a good deal on a stand alone player by now. I dont even see why this is a talking point.

bread's done
Back