Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

Virtua Fighter 5 - Yellow - The benefit is only about 4 seconds max.

Soul Calibur 4 - Yellow - The load time differences are just 1 second apart in versus mode but character & costume loading are 3 seconds faster. The 3 second difference is also seen in Story mode.

[quote name='dumlaox']Virtua Fighter 5 - Yellow - The benefit is only about 4 seconds max.

Soul Calibur 4 - Yellow - The load time differences are just 1 second apart in versus mode but character & costume loading are 3 seconds faster. The 3 second difference is also seen in Story mode.[/quote]
Thanks, updated.

Mass Effect...Yellow.

Dashboard to Title Screen; HDD - 22 seconds, DVD - 27 seconds.
Resume game/Career; HDD - 11 seconds, DVD - 15 seconds.
Elevator on Normandy (going down); HDD - 30 seconds, DVD - 30 seconds (hardcoded?)

I didn't test any other areas (yet) but considering Dashboard to Title Screen and Resuming your game/career must be done EVERYTIME you play, you can save yourself ~9-10 seconds right there alone. Loading areas (Planets and Levels) are noticeably faster but i don't have any timed proof.

[quote name='Manatee']I think mass effect should be green. The midlevel stuttering to load a new area is less often.[/quote]
But the random texture popups still exist.

[quote name='SynGamer']But the random texture popups still exist.[/quote]
Maybe green with an asterix that says random texture popups occur.

[quote name='J7.']Maybe green with an asterix that says random texture popups occur.[/quote]
I'm going to leave it Yellow simply because the none of the tests i did exceeded 5 seconds (improvement). I'd like to stick to the guideline we now have, and fair is fair. I appreciate everyone's help by the way, this would be nothing without you guys (and gals...if you're out there).

[quote name='SynGamer']I'm going to leave it Yellow simply because the none of the tests i did exceeded 5 seconds (improvement). I'd like to stick to the guideline we now have, and fair is fair. I appreciate everyone's help by the way, this would be nothing without you guys (and gals...if you're out there).[/quote]

Thanks, but how come i didnt get a name mention for the Yellow idea :p

nah its cool, i dont mind, ^_^ im just helping.

[quote name='SynGamer']I read through both threads and people reported improved performance as well as worse. If a CAG could test this, that would be great.[/quote]

Hey Syn, i own NHL 09, but i thought it made no difference when i installed it, or slightly longer delays when connecting online.

Ill try it later today though.

Wow, what a difference in sound.
I was just playing COD4 the other night with my nephew 15 miles away.
After playing Gears2 and rockband2 installed to hard drive, playing COD4 with the disc was just crazy loud. So the next day I installed it to the hard drive. Wow. What a difference. Hopefully MS comes out with a 300GB some day.

Installed All-Pro Football 2K8 today. While loading times were slightly improved (about 3-4 seconds unscientifically), there were DRAMATIC improvements during the in-game cutscenes.

The game dynamically loads its animations from disk during the cutscenes, I guess, such as the players jogging across the field. These have always looked terrible, as though they were running about 10 fps.

After the install, they run full speed with no graphical hiccups at all. It changes the entire visual experience, it's just THAT much better.

Does anyone else have random lockups with Rock Band 2 when playing from the HDD? Sometimes the screen (between games) will hold up for 5 or more seconds before responding.

[quote name='GM80']Installed All-Pro Football 2K8 today. While loading times were slightly improved (about 3-4 seconds unscientifically), there were DRAMATIC improvements during the in-game cutscenes.

The game dynamically loads its animations from disk during the cutscenes, I guess, such as the players jogging across the field. These have always looked terrible, as though they were running about 10 fps.

After the install, they run full speed with no graphical hiccups at all. It changes the entire visual experience, it's just THAT much better.[/quote]
I'm going to mark it yellow for now. If you could actually time some sections of the game (start up, loading a career/game, etc.) that would be great :)

[quote name='ZForce915']Does anyone else have random lockups with Rock Band 2 when playing from the HDD? Sometimes the screen (between games) will hold up for 5 or more seconds before responding.[/quote]

I get the same random lock-ups on Rock Band 2, usually in the middle of a song where it will lock up for a few seconds with the music skipping, and then it starts right back up again. Same thing happened while playing at a friend's house last night on his system.

The lock-ups are not that common and worth the mild trouble if it saves me from having to play the game off the disc for hours straight since those RockBand sessions can go on all night long.

Lego indiana jones didnt improve at all. It has a specific animation that plays during the loading transition regardless of install or from disc.

Lego Indiana Jones - no improvement

Mercenaries 2 gets a solid yellow, it helps, but not enough to be green. The loads are still atrocious.

I can add that installing to the HDD annihilates any mid level loading in LSWII and fixes a game killing bug in Episode 6, when it goes from one layer to another on the DVD.

[quote name='SynGamer'][quote name='GM80']Installed All-Pro Football 2K8 today...[/quote]I'm going to mark it yellow for now. If you could actually time some sections of the game (start up, loading a career/game, etc.) that would be great :)[/quote]

I was thinking perhaps there could be some indicator on the list for improved in-game performance, not just loading times. A plus sign, maybe? The game's loading times may only warrant a yellow listing, but there's a remarkable improvement in performance during actual gameplay as a result of the install that could be noted as well.

IMHO, of course ;)

[quote name='Manatee']Mercenaries 2 gets a solid yellow, it helps, but not enough to be green. The loads are still atrocious.

I can add that installing to the HDD annihilates any mid level loading in LSWII and fixes a game killing bug in Episode 6, when it goes from one layer to another on the DVD.[/quote]
If you could get some numbers for LSWII, that would be great. If the load times are improved enough, i'll mark it green.

[quote name='GM80']I was thinking perhaps there could be some indicator on the list for improved in-game performance, not just loading times. A plus sign, maybe? The game's loading times may only warrant a yellow listing, but there's a remarkable improvement in performance during actual gameplay as a result of the install that could be noted as well.

IMHO, of course ;)[/quote]

We already have quite the legend, but i take game performance into consideration when doing all of this. Most games which show an improved in-game performance are yellow or green. The load times are simple a base for determining initial performance :)

Burnout Paradise should be white. Only one minor improvement, the rest was essentially the same, within 1-2 seconds.

*30 seconds to EA/Criterion logos off disc, 27 off HDD.

*43 seconds from title screen to news screen off disc, essentially unchanged off HDD.

*18 second load time on news screen off disc, essentially unchanged off HDD.

If anyone has Burnout Revenge, please test it. I'm thinking about buying it again, my only gripe about it was the load times...if the loading is improved off the HDD I'll pick it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaneRobot']Burnout Paradise should be white. Only one minor improvement, the rest was essentially the same, within 1-2 seconds.

*30 seconds to EA/Criterion logos off disc, 27 off HDD.

*43 seconds from title screen to news screen off disc, essentially unchanged off HDD.

*18 second load time on news screen off disc, essentially unchanged off HDD.

If anyone has Burnout Revenge, please test it. I'm thinking about buying it again, my only gripe about it was the load times...if the loading is improved off the HDD I'll pick it up.[/quote]

Good News, i own that game, but i didnt like it as much as Burnout 3.

Bad News: Wrong console, i own the PS2 version. :p

I was thinking of installing gears of war 2. Im not so worried about load times though. I just hate the pop in at the begining of levels and other areas. Does installing help that?

[quote name='The 7th Number']I was thinking of installing gears of war 2. Im not so worried about load times though. I just hate the pop in at the begining of levels and other areas. Does installing help that?[/quote]
No. If anything, i've noticed MORE popin with installed games than when running them off the HDD. But the silent DVD drive usually quicker load times are well worth it.

Anyone know WHY Crackdown can't be installed? I just stuck it in to install it to play it this afternoon and got that message. I'm like..."HUH?"

It's such a small list of games that can't be. Seems so weird. Guess I get to experience the joy of Blender360 for this :whistle2:/

[quote name='Wolfpup']Anyone know WHY Crackdown can't be installed? I just stuck it in to install it to play it this afternoon and got that message. I'm like..."HUH?"

It's such a small list of games that can't be. Seems so weird. Guess I get to experience the joy of Blender360 for this :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

There's nothing official from Microsoft but most believe it's because of the Halo 3 beta included on the disc

Oh weird. I knew early copies included that, but I just picked it up a couple of months ago, and it didn't say anything.

Anyway, the game's pretty cool so far. I don't want to play the bad guy, and getting to play a superhero of sorts is almost as much fun as I'd hoped. Needs better than control and the missions interface stuff is more confusing than it should be, but it's pretty cool so far. (And it controls better than GTA at any rate.)

[quote name='The 7th Number']I was thinking of installing gears of war 2. Im not so worried about load times though. I just hate the pop in at the begining of levels and other areas. Does installing help that?[/QUOTE]

What "pop" are you talking about? I installed the game right away and the load times were good and the quiet drive was very nice so I recommend the install.

[quote name='ZForce915']What "pop" are you talking about? I installed the game right away and the load times were good and the quiet drive was very nice so I recommend the install.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure he's talking about the texture loading, it's real noticeable on the playable characters as you start a level.

This is the main reason I'd want to install Mass Effect, a lot of textures weren't loading up in time for the videos.

I don't think it helps with Mass Effect, unfortunately. Could be wrong, though.

With the texture stuff, though, Gears 2 had almost no issues after I installed it... as opposed to Gears 1, which made the texture stuff MORE noticeable. It was odd.

Bully :applause:

I broke Bully out of my backlog and started playing it today for the first time. Load times were insanely annoying I was getting pissed and then I remembered this. I've only got a 20gig so I never really messed with it. I've gotta say that i'll be checking out installing whatever my current most played game is on the HD from this point on though. I went from sitting around all the time to not having time to read alot of loading screens! Loving the improvement and the game is pretty darn fun haha.

I have not tested this game, but you are missing COLLEGE HOOPS 2K8 ON THAT LIST!

Also, im going to see if the Xbox 360 board on GameFAQs would be willing to trade information back and forth with us. =) maybe we can get the word out about what games are better or not for the HDD.

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']I have not tested this game, but you are missing COLLEGE HOOPS 2K8 ON THAT LIST!

Also, im going to see if the Xbox 360 board on GameFAQs would be willing to trade information back and forth with us. =) maybe we can get the word out about what games are better or not for the HDD.[/quote]
I don'ts gots thats game :(

From ReON_Kawaii of GameFAQs

Tales of Vesperia - Loading time improved a bit, not much, but the great thing is the skit. It helps to appear very quickly. Usually using a disc it's going to be depended on your dvd drive, if it's still strong it will be fine, but if not a lot of skits will not appear/miss.

Gears of Wars 1 and 2 - loading time no change, sometime even faster from the DVD drive. The AI helping you (assuming you play on campaign mode) will be slow, unresponsive, left behind, pop up here and there, etc, they are a mess if you play from HDD.

Winning Eleven 2009 - loading in "Champion's League" screen is faster, not too big different but big enough for you to be able to take notice. Other than that, no more benefit.

Left 4 Dead - AI is playing waiting game a lot more than you, when you advance, then they will. On disc, they are usually more aggressive. Zombie appear quicker on horde mode.

Thats all I can remember right now
But IMO, there is NO difference in Tales of Vesperia at all.

So white for every game listed, except Winning Eleven 2009. id give that a Yellow.

Also, i dont know the performance yet, but College Hoops 2K8's size is 6.4 GB.

So please put that down.

Looks like I have to be the one to report all the girly games around here. First HSM3 and now this:

Disney Sing It!.................................[6.4 GB]

The videos seem to load faster, but they didn't take that long to begin with, so maybe a Yellow rating.

Let's go, G.N.O.!

Also, College Hoops 2k8, NOT 2k7, but 2k8, is a SOLID GREEN!

Loading a Basketball game normally, about 15 seconds.

With the game on the Hard Drive. 5 seconds!

Juiced 2 - No noticable load improvement, graphics deteroration sometimes like characters + graphics not loading.

Import Tuner Challenge - Slight improvement, about 1 second.

Saints Row 2 - Load times decreased by about 1/3 - 1/2 , no random freezing.

Thanks for all the updates and additions everyone. If you could get solid evidence of load times, that's be great. Having actual times helps determine the performance rating of games. For example, if you say a game loads in half the time, that looks like a green rating, but if the game only takes 2 seconds to load off of the DVD drive...that's a 1 second improvements :p

I give you my word, i dont feel like recording footage of it. -_- After all ive been helping out alot lately. havent i? :p

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']I give you my word, i dont feel like recording footage of it. -_- After all ive been helping out alot lately. havent i? :p[/quote]
I'm not asking for recorded footage, just times. DVD - 10 seconds, HDD - 5 seconds. This is what everyone has been posting and i want to make sure we are getting accurate reports :) You included times for College Hoops 2K8, which is great, i was just saying in general that i'd like numbers to back up peoples claims.

Sorry if this has been talked about before, but do games consisting of multiple discs have to be installed simultaneously? For example, Lost Odyssey is over 20 gigs. Can I install one disc, uninstall it when I'm done with it, and install the next?

Call of Duty: World at War should be yellow, or arbitrarily green if the level loading time warrants that categorization. Regardless, there is a noticeable improvement.

Loading company logos - 7 seconds off disc, 5 off HDD.
Loading title screen when save/quitting in game - 5 seconds off disc, 3 off HDD
Loading first level - 16 seconds off disc, 10 off HDD.

[quote name='whitereflection']Sorry if this has been talked about before, but do games consisting of multiple discs have to be installed simultaneously? For example, Lost Odyssey is over 20 gigs. Can I install one disc, uninstall it when I'm done with it, and install the next?[/quote]
Yes, you can install one disc at a time.

bread's done
Back