Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

Lips: Number One Hits - 6.3GB - WHITE - Not much of a difference between HDD and DVD loading.

From DVD
Sing: California Love - 8 seconds

From HDD
Sing: California Love - 7 seconds

Not sure if its been said, but Crackdown is now supported in the newest preview update (but supposedly runs poorly).

EDIT: Installing/Testing now...

EDIT 2: Ok, these are the results (again, using newest preview update)

Crackdown - 6.1GB - BLUE

From DVD
Load Game (to Load Save (load save is not relevant to speed test)/Menu Screen) - 60 Seconds
Load actual game (Campaign) - 33 Seconds

From HDD
Load Game (to Load Save (load save is not relevant to speed test)/Menu Screen) - 51 Seconds
Load actual game (Campaign) - 29 Seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait. If Crackdown is now supported then...

Can someone on the new preview do an installation test of a game already reported on the list, please? I'm away from my 360 until tomorrow afternoon but I want to make sure install sizes and performance times are still the same this time around.

[quote name='[email protected]']anyone else having trouble with GRID on the hard drive? at one point in the intro where it checks for downloadable content the disc starts spinning and keeps spinning throughout the whole game session.[/QUOTE]

this again

[quote name='dumlaox']Wait. If Crackdown is now supported then...

Can someone on the new preview do an installation test of a game already reported on the list, please? I'm away from my 360 until tomorrow afternoon but I want to make sure install sizes and performance times are still the same this time around.[/QUOTE]

Install sizes haven't changed from when they started to roll this update out given the Borderlands install size.

[quote name='KingBroly']Install sizes haven't changed from when they started to roll this update out given the Borderlands install size.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Now I don't have to worry about rechecking the game library when I get back from my trip.

I just got Grid so I'll check out the DLC problem you're reporting tomorrow.

Off topic, can't believe we're over 1000 posts on this thread now. With over 450 games chronicled on the list since post 1, that's not too bad at all :)

Someone on the MS Connect forum for the preview update still swears the game runs crappier with HDD install. So make a note of that when updating the list. I'll reinstall and give it another try, but not right away, so if anyone else wants to try actual gameplay with it installed to HDD, go ahead. Probably should have multiple people try it anyways, just to verify its not isolated.

Alright, so the person on the MS connect forum deleted a bunch of stuff and reinstalled and said everything was fine then. But then he said, that soon all the issues he had with it were coming back, so I'm really leaning towards this being isolated.

Grid - Checked this out after an install and didn't get the long DLC message. Have you tried again recently to see if the issue cleared itself up? Also, did you clear the cache as that may be a culprit in the issue you're experiencing.

----------------------

WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2010 - 6.4GB - BLUE - Not much of a difference if you load from HDD compared to DVD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 5 seconds
One on One - 9 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 3 seconds
One on One - 6 seconds

----------------------

Tekken 6 - 6.6GB - BLUE - Not much of a difference if you load from HDD compared to DVD.

From DVD
Main Menu - 8 seconds
Arcade - 12 seconds

From HDD
Main Menu - 8 seconds
Arcade - 9 seconds

---------------------

DJ Hero - WHITE - Barely any change when going to gameplay.

From DVD
Initial Load - 8 seconds
Tutorial - 9 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 6 seconds
Tutorial - 9 seconds

[quote name='basuoct28']It is very difficult for me to understand. Pls try to make it clear.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Make what clear?

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Really good list you got there.

Looks like I'll go with a 60GB instead of a 20GB when I order an arcade unit. Does it matter if they're used?[/QUOTE]

The HDD? A used one shouldn't matter. If you're talking about the system, though, make sure you get one made this year as they have proven to be the most reliable.

Just a HDD. Didn't know if there might of been a hiccup in them since I never paid attention to X360-centric news (aside from RRoD) since I never planned to ditch the PS3 for an X360.

Lego Rock Band - 5.3 GB

DVD
Initial Loading: 31 seconds
Quickplay: We Will Rock You: 17 seconds
Quickplay: Summer of 69': 18 seconds

HDD
Initial Loading: 27 seconds
Quickplay: We Will Rock You: 11 seconds
Quickplay: Summer of 69': 11 seconds

Verdict: First Rock Band non-track pack disk to get Green?

I never play a game without having it installed first, so I don't know if the loadingtimes are better.

Hope it doesn't matter too much? :whistle2:(

Dragon Age: Origins - 6.4 GB

Ben 10 Alien Force: Vilgax Attacks - 2.6GB - BLUE - A bit of a difference if loading from HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 4 seconds
New Game - 7 seconds
Cutscene 1 - 6 seconds
Level 1 - 10 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 4 seconds
New Game - 4 seconds
Cutscene 1 - 3 seconds
Level 1 - 6 seconds

Is that game any good? I liked the original Ben 10 on the PSP quite a bit. Pretty fun scrolling fighter, though I heard the Alien Force games weren't as good :whistle2:/

Apparently they just released a Title Update for Crackdown to allow HDD install. Did someone at Microsoft miss something?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is that game any good? I liked the original Ben 10 on the PSP quite a bit. Pretty fun scrolling fighter, though I heard the Alien Force games weren't as good :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

The original Ben 10 was pretty good but this one... not so much. It's decent enough for a kids game and they'll like it but doesn't give the satisfaction the PS2/PSP/Wii version did. If you are willing to grind for about an hour, though, you can get about 600 achievement points from it then finish the game for the rest. I will say, though, while most of the particle effects and environments don't look like they take advantage of the 360 hardware, the character models for Ben's alien forms look great.

List updated. Sorry I've been taking so long lately. I usually game on my PS3 when not working these days. Great to see people are still posting new games and performance though :)

Bomberman Act Zero - Sets a new record for install size for me anyways

389MB

I didn't see any noticeable difference when installed and not installed but thats just me.

Game is pretty bad but sets a record lowest room needed to install so far?

Great list guys. Whoever thought of starting this: Good job!

Great info for those with limited space :) (until my 120GB comes in)

Dance Dance Revolution 2 - 3.2GB - No performance recored yet since this was taken from the Xbox Live Marketplace.

-------------------

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition - 12.2GB (Disc 1 = 6.7GB, Disc 2 = 5.5GB) - GREEN - Much better loading from HDD compared to DVD.

From DVD
Campaign: Hoth - 31 seconds

From HDD
Campaign: Hoth - 20 seconds

------------------

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City - 6.6GB - GREEN - Loading is better from the HDD.

From DVD
The Ballad of Gay Tony: New Game - 57 seconds
Gameplay - 15 seconds

From HDD
The Ballad of Gay Tony: New Game - 33 seconds
Gameplay - 9 seconds

-------------------

Crash Of The Titans - 3.0GB - No performance taken since this info is from the Xbox Live Marketplace.

------------------

Chaotic: Shadow Warriors - 6.1GB - WHITE - Outside of Initial Load, load times are the same in either medium.

From DVD
Initial Load - 7 seconds
Title Screen - 6 seconds
New Game - 23 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 9 seconds
Title Screen - 5 seconds
New Game - 23 seconds

----------------------

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements - BLUE - A good 4 second difference between mediums.

From DVD
New Game - 23 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 19 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tested modern warfare 2 on both my hard drive and not and found just a 2-5 second better loading on campaign and zero improvement in spec ops and multi-player. Now running this in multi-player is really load and disc heavy I would suggest installing if you plan to play the game for extended hours online and if you are concerned with disk drive use.

[quote name='shadylane']I have a game that is 3 discs. Do I have to install every disc onto my hard drive?[/QUOTE]

No, you can install one disc at a time.

i installed mw2 and played multiplayer for like 8 hours.... night and day difference in noise

took about 10 minutes and 6.8gn

Tomorrow Im buying Crackdown Ive beaten it before so I do not think it last me too long. So I want a game to hold me over till ODST and Uncharted come out. And I own GTA IV. Has to be retail. Thanks for the help.

bread's done
Back