XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='NTolerance']Buying another 360 would be rewarding Microsoft for building shitty hardware. Sony took advantage of this last gen with the PS2 DREs. A lot of people bought extra PS2s because of it.[/QUOTE]

Plus, if you buy a new one they won't switch over the DRM for you (as far as I know).

[quote name='ITDEFX']hmmm...I am going to update the OP if I see more reports that when your replacement system conks out again and MS requests the power brick along with the system.[/quote]

I was told to send in my power brick aswell.

[quote name='life.exe']I was told to send in my power brick aswell.[/quote]

ok I updated the OP and posted this as a question at the bottom until I can get some sort of confirmation that MS is requesting any new RRoD have their power bricks sent back as well. This could be something new for this month as my unit RRoD last month and I wasn't told this.

[quote name='AshesofWake']ordered my coffin online right now, all my 360 does is freeze or give me the red rings, woooopeeee[/quote]

Hey do you have a direct link to the order site or do you have to "log in" with your live account id?

log in regular into xbox.com and one of the options is Manage Profile, then on the right side, last one is Registration and Repair, click that.

[quote name='porieux']DRM[/quote]

I'll probably remember what that means tomorrow morning, but right now I'm extremely tired...and I don't know what DRM is...

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I'll probably remember what that means tomorrow morning, but right now I'm extremely tired...and I don't know what DRM is...[/quote]

Digital Rights Management.

My launch 360 finally went to heaven -- of course, I put on a black casing which voided the warranty -- this was before they extended it...bad timing!

I ordered up the coffin the other day for my Xbox 360 due to the E74 error :(. You never completely feel it until it happens to you...........I am just towel tricking it for now until the coffin comes.

Anyone who got a replacement unit tried using the USB cable to charge the controller battery only to find out that not only it's NOT charging the battery when the unit is off, but when you try to start the unit with the controller plugged in, your 360 power like "blinks" and stays blinking?

Is that normal? That never happened to the other 360's I've had.

Okay.
So they lost my xbox at their factory some how.....
OMG! I have proof I sent it, but I don't wanna go through this whole thing....
The Shipment Manager signed for it....so how could they lose it?

- Nevermind. The manager/supervisor said something or other, but he said to call friday and check up on it.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Okay.
So they lost my xbox at their factory some how.....
OMG! I have proof I sent it, but I don't wanna go through this whole thing....
The Shipment Manager signed for it....so how could they lose it?

- Nevermind. The manager/supervisor said something or other, but he said to call friday and check up on it.[/quote]

wait what? Check your UPS.COM status... did it have an indication where it was going to arrive on a certain day then it said "Receiver (Repair center) requested item to be delivered at a different date?" or something like that? The repair center might be pushing back the acceptance of the package for a day or two for some reason.

Do you want to post the UPS tracking number?

I Sent my machine UPS on saturday, should be shipping out today.

How long should I be expecting a wait?....I know that im not going to be able to enjoy GTA4 the first day because of it.

Bought it in August 15, 07

Died March 15, 08

I managed to keep it working for 2 weeks on and off with the towel trick. then i just gave up on it.

Dang, shipped mine out Fedex late Sat. and it got at the repair center at 3 this morning. Needless to say it got there alot quicker than last time.

[quote name='joe2187']I Sent my machine UPS on saturday, should be shipping out today.

How long should I be expecting a wait?....I know that im not going to be able to enjoy GTA4 the first day because of it.

Bought it in August 15, 07

Died March 15, 08

I managed to keep it working for 2 weeks on and off with the towel trick. then i just gave up on it.[/quote]

read the FAQ!!! that's why it is written!!!

[quote name='ITDEFX']read the FAQ!!! that's why it is written!!![/quote]

I did read the FAQ...thats the first thing I did. I just want to be told things.

You dont have to be so mean:cry:

[quote name='ITDEFX']wait what? Check your UPS.COM status... did it have an indication where it was going to arrive on a certain day then it said "Receiver (Repair center) requested item to be delivered at a different date?" or something like that? The repair center might be pushing back the acceptance of the package for a day or two for some reason.

Do you want to post the UPS tracking number?[/quote]

UPS.COM says it got there and the Repair Manager signed for it. Something like that. Either way, they finally found it.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']UPS.COM says it got there and the Repair Manager signed for it. Something like that. Either way, they finally found it.[/quote]

Yea kinda scary when your 360 disappears from the radar for a few hours/a few days only to reappear again. It's like where did my 360 go? some sort of inter spacial dimension ?

[quote name='joe2187']I did read the FAQ...thats the first thing I did. I just want to be told things.

You dont have to be so mean:cry:[/quote]

Just pulling your chain. You shouldn't towel trick resurrect it unless your life depended on it. Just let the 360 die in peace.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Yea kinda scary when your 360 disappears from the radar for a few hours/a few days only to reappear again. It's like where did my 360 go? some sort of inter spacial dimension ?
[/quote]

Yup. I still feel like Microsoft is reluctant to fix it's own problems.

After 2.5 years and 21k+ gamerpoints, my launch 360 finally bit the dust (RROD) a bit over a week ago. This one has been a trooper compared to other launch units, it seems. Here's hoping they send me an HDMI unit as I requested if they can't fix it, though I seriously doubt that will happen. From what I hear I probably should be happy if they send me a working unit period ;)

[quote name='ITDEFX']Anyone who got a replacement unit tried using the USB cable to charge the controller battery only to find out that not only it's NOT charging the battery when the unit is off, but when you try to start the unit with the controller plugged in, your 360 power like "blinks" and stays blinking?

Is that normal? That never happened to the other 360's I've had.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you got a borked unit to me. I use the play & charge cable all the time and never had those issues. Remember most of these will be refurbs and as a result you may receive only a half-fixed console if the repair was not thorough enough.

Just got a email from MS saying they recieved it. Oh how I hope they replace it with a nicer one.

Either way I just want to play some video games. :whistle2:(

A possible reason for why M$ wants you to send your power brick could be because the new 175w power bricks don't fit in the old motherboards. Meaning that if M$ sends you a replacement xbox 360, with a new motherboard/drive, then they would also need to send you a new power brick. If you send yours in, they could recycle it and send it to another customer. Saves them money.

I know this because I bought a new xbox 360 that had a falcon motherboard with the new 175w power supply. I swapped the motherboards and the 203w power supply would not fit into the new falcon motherboard. I had to use the 203w power supply with the non-falcon motherboard. The new falcon motherboard had to be used with the 175w motherboard.

I could be wrong, but this is what I found when I tried testing my xbox 360s.

just sent off the refurb they sent me, along with the power supply. Mine is also going back via fedex overnight delivery. So it should arrive sometime tomorrow afternoon. I am hoping that sending in the power supply equals new machine. If they send another POS refurb that makes noise, back to texas it goes.

interesting story:

I called into xbox to do a repair around feb-march, received a box in about a week, decided screw it i'm not sending it in, sold my 360 and bought a new one, about a day ago i received a call from an xbox rep asking if i'm having any trouble sending in my unit, i think that its crazy and great that they called to check up on my status lol

another thing that happened:

I recently changed my gamertag, paid 800 points (before i found a way to do it free) during the change of the gamertag i noticed that 2 of my xbla arcade games had changed to trial versions, i used a code to redeem both games (uno & robotron 2084 that came with xbl vision bundle) i told the rep that i redeemed them with the codes and that when i personally chekced through 400+ download items on my list they were absent, customer service rep offered to transfer me to her supervisor

supervisor on the phone says i do not see that you downloaded those games, explained the situation to him, he told me well lets see if we can do something about it, how bout i credit back at least one of those games for you, so i say ok thanks, he asked how many points the games were and i told him, he said ok you currently have 5700 points and now you have 6100 points, i say thank you and when i went home my points were there

i know a lot of people have had problems with xbox customer service but i have no complaints

[quote name='Ruined']After 2.5 years and 21k+ gamerpoints, my launch 360 finally bit the dust (RROD) a bit over a week ago. This one has been a trooper compared to other launch units, it seems. Here's hoping they send me an HDMI unit as I requested if they can't fix it, though I seriously doubt that will happen. From what I hear I probably should be happy if they send me a working unit period ;)[/quote]

You won't back an HDMI unit unless the unit sent in was an HDMI.

Last night my copy of CoD4 that I ordered from the Amazon DotD was delivered (Prime FTW!). I got about 20 minutes in when my system went tits up; RRoD.

on 360 number 6 today, the last 360 died last week, it took exactly 7 days from when i called them to get a new 360, im guessing once you hit 5 or more they just say screw it and send you a brand new one as soon as they get the old one, or maybe im just really lucky

[quote name='wesdw369']on 360 number 6 today, the last 360 died last week, it took exactly 7 days from when i called them to get a new 360, im guessing once you hit 5 or more they just say screw it and send you a brand new one as soon as they get the old one, or maybe im just really lucky[/quote]

How do you know it's "Brand New"?

Did they give you a new unit manufactured recently with a new hard drive, cables , power supply and controller?

i got one that was vacume sealed, with the plastic slicks on it, ive never gotten one like that, usually they come in the plastic wrap like they send in the coffin, this time i got one like it came straight out of a box from the store. no cables, or hd, but its got a manufactor(sp) date of feb 08

1st 360 was a launch, rrod after 6 months, send it in for 2nd got that back it wouldnt boot, sent it in, got 3rd it looked like someone ate cereal in it, send it back in got 4th, it rrod right before they extended the rrod warranty, sold it to gs bought 5th, called it in last wednesday, got 6th this morning

[quote name='wesdw369']i got one that was vacume sealed, with the plastic slicks on it, ive never gotten one like that, usually they come in the plastic wrap like they send in the coffin, this time i got one like it came straight out of a box from the store. no cables, or hd, but its got a manufactor(sp) date of feb 08[/quote]

hmm... use the FAQ to see if you got a copper heat sink

Well, mine arrived at MS yesterday. How long does it usually take to get it back? Will I get email updates on progress or do I have to call after awhile. My system was mint, they better not give me a scratched up one.

[quote name='addicted2games']Well, mine arrived at MS yesterday. How long does it usually take to get it back? Will I get email updates on progress or do I have to call after awhile. My system was mint, they better not give me a scratched up one.[/quote]

In the same position. They got it Friday, and sent it yesterday.
I should get it by Friday.

They said I can send it in if it's scratched, but what's to stop them from send you another one scratched, or worse, something on the inside of it is wrong.

[quote name='addicted2games']Well, mine arrived at MS yesterday. How long does it usually take to get it back? Will I get email updates on progress or do I have to call after awhile. My system was mint, they better not give me a scratched up one.[/quote]

I guess people aren't reading the FAQ which answers this.

[quote name='life.exe']They sent mine this morning. I'll probably get it Fri/Sat. Hopefully its a new one.[/quote]

whoa what? are they doing same week turnarounds in April?!?!?!?!

[quote name='ITDEFX']I guess people aren't reading the FAQ which answers this.[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed that.

Even before I called, I knew I was gonna get a different one. It's only been 2-3 business days.

[quote name='ITDEFX']whoa what? are they doing same week turnarounds in April?!?!?!?![/quote]

Yeah, my whole process has been really quick. By the time I get mine back it will have only been about 2 weeks since I called support for my coffin. Sent my box off to them just 4-5 days ago(Only 3 Business Days) and its already on its way back.

finally got mine back. im pretty sure its the same unit (i didnt memorize the serial number, but i think the manufacture date is the same). seems to be running good. i swear my dvd drive is a lot more quiet and there is definitely a new (or possibly fans) in the unit because you can hear them spinning like crazy when you turn it on.

so i guess i traded dvd noise for fan noise. i dont care as long as it works.

Hey guys guess what? I'm on RRoD #4 and I had to speak to the stank breath pakis once more. I told the guy if he could just email me a pre-paid shipping label and said he couldn't and I asked for a supervisor and gotten that taken cared off and he offered me PGR3. Wow how exciting yay! Not!

My 360 died on me and I'm strongly debating buying an Elite and then selling my old 360 on craigslist or something once it comes back. Does anyone know if they still have those transfer cables or whatever so you can move your saves/gamertag from your old 360 hard drive to the new one? I know Gamestop used to give them to you when the Elites first came out but I don't know if its still like that or what. If anyone has any information on that or any recommendations on what I should do in general, let me know. Thanks. : )

OK, I just ordered a 360 off of the amazon warehouse. I called them up before I bought it and they told me that it had the full microsoft warranty, 3 yr rrod. Once I get it, how can I check if it really does?

They told me it was a new item, but the box was damaged.

May have just been damaged in the mail. My 360 came back from the repair center with holes in it.

If you ordered a new 360, chances are it's a new 360.

bread's done
Back