XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='cheapbrass']quick question....once i receive the coffin....how many DAYS do i have to drop it off at UPS by? 1 wk? 2 wks? 3 wks? thanks.[/QUOTE]

it depends on you when you ship it out,but i believe you have 30 days before the repair is cancelled.

[quote name='cheapbrass']quick question....once i receive the coffin....how many DAYS do i have to drop it off at UPS by? 1 wk? 2 wks? 3 wks? thanks.[/quote]

[quote name='bkforyou']it depends on you when you ship it out,but i believe you have 30 days before the repair is cancelled.[/quote]

I would send it out within 24 hours of getting your coffin. You want it back as soon as possible so don't procrastinate for very long.

Just got mine back. Its the same serial as my old one so they fixed it I guess. Gave me a brand new power brick/cord though. Also it seems alot quieter than I remember. Also, I tried to check the number of components and only seen two (its hard to see though), is it possible to have an old heatsink but new motherboard?

I just got my 360 halo edition from amazon, they said it was new but the box was damaged. Total I got it for was $248 so not bad. But the bad news is that its lot #733 and 203w. Too bad that its not a falcon, or is it? But since I got it for so cheap I cant really bitch about it. I opened all the items inside and everything is new and shiny. I just wish I got a falcon one.

By the way, if it rrods, probably will. And I send it in to microsoft. What will I get in return? A new chip/heatsinks, new console, or just the shitty old chip and thats it?

I am trying to connect my 360 to xbl via, sharing internet from macbook. I used a tutorial on the web and it works fine. The connection test completes and then it says there's a system update. I try and download it, but it says, update failed. Any suggestions?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I am trying to connect my 360 to xbl via, sharing internet from macbook. I used a tutorial on the web and it works fine. The connection test completes and then it says there's a system update. I try and download it, but it says, update failed. Any suggestions?[/quote]

I think LIVE is having issues today so thats the reason.

I had a quick question

My Coffin is on its way from Kentucky, once I recieve it, and I ship off to the repair center

Where is the repair center?

[quote name='porieux']Mesquite TX[/quote]

oh okay, cause I wasnt sure since I was getting the box from Kentucky, so i was hoping same place

[quote name='joe2187']Whooo!!!

My machine has officially left Mesquite as of today, I should be getting it back at least thursday or friday.[/quote]
Where are you located, and how long did it take after you sent it in to have it sent back to you? thanks

[quote name='addicted2games']My Xbox is arriving tomorrow! Took 19 days from first call to getting the system back. Hopefully I got a newer unit than my 2005 model.[/quote]

Hope you do, I just got a 360 halo edition, but its not a falcon. I am curious to what people get in return...

[quote name='Poor2More']Where are you located, and how long did it take after you sent it in to have it sent back to you? thanks[/quote]

I'm in Southern Cali.

I sent it out on Monday the 14th, it took 3 days to arrive and it was put in the shipping department on Friday 18th as status "Repaired and Ready to Ship". I checked the tracking scan and it left Mesquite TX at 6:30 this morning.

That was some fast service....:applause:

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Didn't get anything today for sure :/
I Wonder why UPS called then....[/quote]

To see if you were home ;)

I got a call about a day before the box came. I already took the day off when I learned the arrival date ahead of time!

I'd rather stay home for a day and wait for the package vs being out and the package comes and they "missed" you.

Check your UPS status to see what's up, and if you can call them up to see what's going on with the package?!??!!?

[quote name='Veronica Mars']UPS LIES!
Sometimes, I find a paper, and they don't even knock! WHY STOP AT ALL?[/QUOTE]

I used to work for UPS when I was younger (like 18) and this is what the drivers told me. They get paid hourly, and are not rated on what percentage of their packages they deliver but rather the number of stops. On average, most drivers deliver around 85% of the packages in their package-car. The rest are a mix of attempted deliveries that didn't go through and delivery attempts that didn't actually occur. They write up the "We Missed You" sticker and put it on the door and leave. What this allows them to do is guarantee them overtime (double-time and a half) while still keeping their "attempt rate" up at an acceptable level. They all do it, so sometimes your best bet is to leave a note on the door that says "I'm Here, PLEASE Knock Loudly" or after the first attempt, call the package center or UPS' 1-800 number and ask them to hold it at the package center. At least then you know where it is.

Ok, well I've asked this a bunch of times in the 360 forum and haven't gotten any touch of an answer. I ordered a 360 halo edition from the amazon warehouse. I called them up prior to buying it and they told me it was a new unit, but the box was damaged. So I said wtf, I ended up paying under $250 for it so I couldn't pass it up. I got it today and bad news is that its not a falcon and not only that, but it has a hitachi jet-engine drive. ugg. But honestly I put a pc fan I rigged to a ac/dc converter a while back on the back of the console to help suck the hot air out and that seems to help alot. The air coming out is actually just slightly warm.

my question is...
is there a way, by looking at the console/serial number/anything, to tell if I really got a new model or if I got a refurb or something? And if it qualifies for the 3 yr rrod warranty...

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Ok, well I've asked this a bunch of times in the 360 forum and haven't gotten any touch of an answer. I ordered a 360 halo edition from the amazon warehouse. I called them up prior to buying it and they told me it was a new unit, but the box was damaged. So I said wtf, I ended up paying under $250 for it so I couldn't pass it up. I got it today and bad news is that its not a falcon and not only that, but it has a hitachi jet-engine drive. ugg. But honestly I put a pc fan I rigged to a ac/dc converter a while back on the back of the console to help suck the hot air out and that seems to help alot. The air coming out is actually just slightly warm.

my question is...
is there a way, by looking at the console/serial number/anything, to tell if I really got a new model or if I got a refurb or something? And if it qualifies for the 3 yr rrod warranty...[/quote]
If it's a refurb, when you take the faceplate off there should be a sticker on the system right under the faceplate.

x360warranty.jpg

Register the device with service.xbox.com and I believe it'll show the warranty information without you actually having to file for a repair.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='braindeadalive']If it's a refurb, when you take the faceplate off there should be a sticker on the system right under the faceplate.

x360warranty.jpg

Register the device with service.xbox.com and I believe it'll show the warranty information without you actually having to file for a repair.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

K thanks, I'll check it when I get home. I am pretty sure its new though but if it isn't amazon is getting a 360 back...

Also, how can I check if I have the falcon chip. Mine is lot 733, 203w. But is FDOU. So I am confused. I would not care if I had gotten the quieter drive, but I got the damn hitachi.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Hope you do, I just got a 360 halo edition, but its not a falcon. I am curious to what people get in return...[/QUOTE]

I got my Xbox back and its the EXACT same launch unit I sent in. It works great so far, dont know what MS did to it. They only had it like two days before sending it back to me. Well, lets hope this repair lasts for a good while.

[quote name='braindeadalive']If it's a refurb, when you take the faceplate off there should be a sticker on the system right under the faceplate.

x360warranty.jpg

Hope that helps.[/quote]

whoa

I am going to include this in the next FAQ update... thanks man!!

Mine RR today :[

I got immediately on the phone and ordered a coffin.

Glad to see people are getting their's back in like 2 weeks.

x360warranty.jpg

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

Ok so I just checked and I have a sticker, but not the one from your picture. Its just a shiny microsoft one about 1/2 cm thick. But in the same place.

Ok so I ust regsterd my 360 on support xbox, and it says my warranty ends 10/18/2008 7:59:59 PM. WTF!!! calling microsoft now
I called them up and the guy in India told me that even though the online thing said 10/18/2008 7:59:59 PM, it was actually from when I purchased it, which was sometime in april.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Ok so I just checked and I have a sticker, but not the one from your picture. Its just a shiny microsoft one about 1/2 cm thick. But in the same place.

Ok so I ust regsterd my 360 on support xbox, and it says my warranty ends 10/18/2008 7:59:59 PM. WTF!!! calling microsoft now
I called them up and the guy in India told me that even though the online thing said 10/18/2008 7:59:59 PM, it was actually from when I purchased it, which was sometime in april.[/quote]

Shiny sticker is normal, it's the white one that means it was opened and repaired.

Ok so, I called and canceled my box. I rather them send me the sticker so I can send it off myself.

Once I get my sticker and package it up, I also put the reference number on the outside, along witht he reference number on the actual console.

Then Im all set correct?

[quote name='seanr1221']Ok so, I called and canceled my box. I rather them send me the sticker so I can send it off myself.

Once I get my sticker and package it up, I also put the reference number on the outside, along witht he reference number on the actual console.

Then Im all set correct?[/quote]

:applause: oh good you read the FAQ to know that you CAN do this. It's not a sticker but an actual UPS label you can print out on your home printer and take that to the UPS Store.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']I finally got the XBOX.
It was made 2 days before mine XD So, it's a 2007. Hopefully it lasts.
Seems a BIT quieter, but nothing really different.[/quote]

Mine seems a bit quieter too but its a 2006 model..

I am going to update the FAQ tonight with some pictures and more information.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Mine seems a bit quieter too but its a 2006 model..

I am going to update the FAQ tonight with some pictures and more information.[/quote]

Do Falcons really make a difference? I know people look for them, but is the difference in the time they last big?

I doubt mine has one, right, since it's 2007.

[quote name='ITDEFX']:applause: oh good you read the FAQ to know that you CAN do this. It's not a sticker but an actual UPS label you can print out on your home printer and take that to the UPS Store.[/QUOTE]

I'm a bit confused. I got two emails. One was about the total order (the tracking number, reference number, weight of the 360, etc.)

The other one had a bunch of UPS links (including the shipping label to print)

Besides, the label, do I print anything else? Like the receipt or something? Sorry to sound like such a noob :[

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm a bit confused. I got two emails. One was about the total order (the tracking number, reference number, weight of the 360, etc.)

The other one had a bunch of UPS links (including the shipping label to print)

Besides, the label, do I print anything else? Like the receipt or something? Sorry to sound like such a noob :[[/quote]

I sent mine in without any other paper work...everything the repair office needs is on your label and the serial number on your 360 as they have that information in their database.

More bullshit. I've been waiting all day for FedEx to drop off the Xbox.

"FedEx attempted, but was unable to complete delivery of the following shipment:"

"Incorrect address ? Apartment/Suite number"

When I put my address in FedEX's system they tell me my address is wrong.

I've been using this address for over 6 years.

fuck I hate FedEx, they were able to deliver the shipping box but they don't know where to ship the actual Xbox?

[quote name='Veronica Mars']My Disk Drive doesn't go in, unless I manually push it.
Should I worry? Can this lead to future problems?[/quote]

YES.

It just started doing this?

I would say they sent you one with a bad drive. You need to get on the horn now with MS and tell them that the one they sent has a bad drive and NEEDS TO BE REPLACED NOW. ASK FOR OVERNIGHT SHIPPING and the label over email. You want it to be sent to MS faster than normal. They need to fix their shit instead of recycling more broken shit.

[quote name='ITDEFX']YES.

It just started doing this?

I would say they sent you one with a bad drive. You need to get on the horn now with MS and tell them that the one they sent has a bad drive and NEEDS TO BE REPLACED NOW. ASK FOR OVERNIGHT SHIPPING and the label over email. You want it to be sent to MS faster than normal. They need to fix their shit instead of recycling more broken shit.[/quote]

Everything works fine, as far as I can tell, except that.
I got it yesterday, and it started today. Yesterday is was working fine. It's no like I have to push hard or anything. I just push it with one finger and it goes in.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Everything works fine, as far as I can tell, except that.
I got it yesterday, and it started today. Yesterday is was working fine. It's no like I have to push hard or anything. I just push it with one finger and it goes in.[/quote]

There should be NO EXCUSE why this is happening. GET ON THE HORN NOW AND TELL MS TO SEND YOU A LABEL OVER EMAIL TO GET THIS SHIT FIXED. I say it's going to break down eventually and you don't want it to have it not open with a game stuck inside!!

[quote name='twiztidjester']i sent mine in last wed. they got it on saturday sunday i got a email saying it was fixed. i am getting it on Friday isn't that a little fast?[/quote]

You are most likely getting a refurb.

bread's done
Back