XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']May have just been damaged in the mail. My 360 came back from the repair center with holes in it.

If you ordered a new 360, chances are it's a new 360.[/QUOTE]

Thats just the problem, they told me it was new, but other cags say the warehouse ones are all refurbs...

I got my replacement 360 sent back to me. This was the quickest I have ever had the turn around be. Total turn around time of under 2 weeks. Thats to call the problem in, get the coffin, send it in and get a new one. Maybe #5 will be the one that lasts. I highly doubt it, but a guy can dream.

Hey guys what should I do? My box had the RRod for the 4th time and It's due for repair. But now it's no longer flashing the 3 red lights but instead it actually let's me play from anywhere between 10-30 mins before it freezes the game ...should I send it in anyways or will they just send it back and said I lied?

I just got a replacement unit back from Microsoft. It is in excellent condition just like the one I sent in. I have to say that it is quieter than the one I sent in. The fans are not as loud and the dvd drive is not as loud as well. It is a little older than the one I sent in though but I don't care as long as it lasts. The only thing I am irritated about is they haven't transferred the service contract over to the replacement yet. I hope this doesn't become a problem because they told me to wait 30 days to see if it is transferred and if not call back. There is obviously no communication between the different departments. I guess I will see what happens but at least I am ready for GTA IV now.

[quote name='popemogoth']Hey guys what should I do? My box had the RRod for the 4th time and It's due for repair. But now it's no longer flashing the 3 red lights but instead it actually let's me play from anywhere between 10-30 mins before it freezes the game ...should I send it in anyways or will they just send it back and said I lied?[/QUOTE]

Try to overheat it on purpose. It's pretty much the only thing you can do that I can think of. Just stuff it in a corner and make the room as hot as possible. Hopefully it works out for you, man. You really have nothing to lose.

As for me, I just got the RROD for the first time today. My girlfriend was playing TF2 and the screen turned pink. We shut the console down and when we turned it on, there were the red rings. :( We called Microsoft and we were going through the process then the guy was like, we can't do it right now, we are updating our systems, and told us to call back in 3 or so hours, which will be 9pm eastern time. The guy was VERY rude with us, and pretty much acted like we were complete morons. Anyways, we tried the towel trick (Thanks CheepyD for that youtube video!) and it's been working for about 30 minutes now. Hopefully it lasts until I get on the phone tonight and they send me my coffin. I will post here what happens. We took videos of it and even recorded the conversation with Microsoft, so we may add the videos to youtube soon just for the fun of it.

Mine Red Ringed today out of the blue. Never had a problem with it, not weird mess ups like my friends elite had before it died. I tried to call in today but they said their servers for handeling the repair orders were messed up so i would have to call back tommorow.

Anyone had that happen to thenm?

Also if i get sent another console is their any chance it might be the new model with hdmi? I have a 2006 model but since they replaced that model i thought there might be a chance i get an new one with hdmi. Not likely but nothing wrong with hope right.

[quote name='Mendoza']Mine Red Ringed today out of the blue. Never had a problem with it, not weird mess ups like my friends elite had before it died. I tried to call in today but they said their servers for handeling the repair orders were messed up so i would have to call back tommorow.

Also if i get sent another console is their any chance it might be the new model with hdmi? I have a 2006 model but since they replaced that model i thought there might be a chance i get an new one with hdmi. Not likely but nothing wrong with hope right.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I called back again for the second time today and they said their servers are STILL down and I have to call back tomorrow. I used the towel trick and I've been able to play for hours tonight thankfully.

I doubt they will send you an elite back. True though.. there is always hope !

Ok, what the hell?!! I just got an email from MS that they still havent received my Xbox yet and I only have 30 days for the repair order to be good, otherwise they will cancel it. My Xbox arrived at MS Tuesday and I just checked the status and another one was sent out today supposedly. Tracking on it just started, so there is no info yet. Why would they say they havent received my system, but I am getting sent another one out as we speak. C'mon MS, get your sh*t together!

Oh i didnt mean the elite, i meant the hdmi pro model.

I have the old 20 gig without hdmi.

I guess it doesnt bode well when ther system cant handle the amount of traffic they have.

[quote name='Mendoza']Mine Red Ringed today out of the blue. Never had a problem with it, not weird mess ups like my friends elite had before it died. I tried to call in today but they said their servers for handeling the repair orders were messed up so i would have to call back tommorow.

Also if i get sent another console is their any chance it might be the new model with hdmi? I have a 2006 model but since they replaced that model i thought there might be a chance i get an new one with hdmi. Not likely but nothing wrong with hope right.[/QUOTE]

No chance at all, you will get a refurb unit.

how many days does the xbox stay at the repair center on average? or other CAG's experience.

Mine just got there today and I'm trying to see if I'll get it back before GTA IV launch. (fingers crossed...)

I see its the old, its new to you idea. And they wonder why they keep dieing. Stop giving us ones that you already had to play reanimator with.

Does anyone have any tips for cooling your 360? I have heard and seen of people using pc fans to cool it. They put two on the back, to help suck the air out and two on the side to help blow air in. I actually have a few of these fans that I rigged together as an experiment in a lab. I just cut up a ac/dc converter and hooked up 6 fans to it. I would just remove 2 of them. Is this know to help, or what? Or any other tips would be appreciated.

i just got my second rrod. Awful timing, i was looking forward to gta! i can't wait to get another refurb that will last a couple months.
they really need to get their shit together. The 3 year warranty isn't going to be enough when we are getting 2006 models that will red ring again sometime next year (if not, before)

btw, my refurb lasted about 6 months.

so my 360 arrived at the service center yesterday according to UPS shipping tracker. this morning when i checked the status of my console, it's already set to "Device Shipped to Customer."

My 360 didn't red ring. The console worked w/ sound, but the GPU died and had no visual. I guess that means it's not qualified even for repair and I will be getting a refurb one.

[quote name='bkforyou']so my 360 arrived at the service center yesterday according to UPS shipping tracker. this morning when i checked the status of my console, it's already set to "Device Shipped to Customer."

My 360 didn't red ring. The console worked w/ sound, but the GPU died and had no visual. I guess that means it's not qualified even for repair and I will be getting a refurb one.[/quote]

Is the serial number the same as the one you sent them?

If it's the same, it could mean that they won't fix it because it's not cover by their warranty so your might get your saying that it's not covered and your SoL.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Is the serial number the same as the one you sent them?

If it's the same, it could mean that they won't fix it because it's not cover by their warranty so your might get your saying that it's not covered and your SoL.[/quote]

the serial numbers the same and mine is already out of warranty so I had to pay the $100 repair fee.

it's on its way back and the warranty is now updated saying "In Warranty".

[quote name='bkforyou']the serial numbers the same and mine is already out of warranty so I had to pay the $100 repair fee.

it's on its way back and the warranty is now updated saying "In Warranty".[/quote]

So wait, they told you to pay them 100 dollars for the GPU failure but no RRoD and send it in?

[quote name='ITDEFX']So wait, they told you to pay them 100 dollars for the GPU failure but no RRoD and send it in?[/quote]

yea. since it didn't RROD, they said it wasn't covered under the 3 year warranty for the red rings.

I got the RROD on my HDMI Premium non-FALCON 360.

They didn't produce the HDMI 360's w/ the old chipset very long did they? Are my chances pretty good of getting a Falcon back? I mean, they have to send me a HDMI box back...

[quote name='StonedJedi']I have to send my power supply in as well, I wonder if this means we might get new one's back. I told them to not even think of sending me the POS they just sent me back. I guess we will find out soon enough. Nice to hear about the overnight shipping, at least that is a positive.[/QUOTE]

Did the notice to send in your power supply come w/ the coffin?--or did they tell you over the phone? I only filled out the web form...thought it'd be easier than calling India. Should I call too?

Just got my first RRoD. Feels like an initiation. How do I get Microsoft to allow me to play my XBLA games off line again? Will they walk me through it when I talk to CS?

It'sMagneto;4247166 said:
Just got my first RRoD. Feels like an initiation. How do I get Microsoft to allow me to play my XBLA games off line again? Will they walk me through it when I talk to CS?

I am still waiting for someone to answer that question in the Original Post!!

Seriously all those people who are having this problem are because they aren't logged into live? If you don't want to be bothered while playing one of these games, then you can always set yourself to off line mode.

I am really starting to get the feeling that the service center is sending out units with a higher GPU failure rates than RRoDs!

[quote name='ITDEFX']I am still waiting for someone to answer that question in the Original Post!!

Seriously all those people who are having this problem are because they aren't logged into live? If you don't want to be bothered while playing one of these games, then you can always set yourself to off line mode.[/quote]

Important Information About Your Downloaded Content After Console Repair/Refurbishment

Notice to customers who have had their Xbox 360 consoles serviced by Microsoft: If you previously downloaded content from Xbox LIVE Marketplace prior to your console service, you need to connect to Xbox LIVE to restore the licenses for that content on this console. If you don't, you'll only be able to use that content when signed in to Xbox LIVE with the profile that originally downloaded the content.

To restore your licenses:
  1. Attach your hard drive or memory unit.
  2. Turn on the console.
  3. Sign in to Xbox LIVE with the gamer profile that originally downloaded the content.
  4. Go to Xbox LIVE Marketplace and select Account Management, Download History.
  5. Select an item and then select Download Again.
  6. Repeat step 5 for each item in your download history.
After you download your content again, anyone on this console can use it, whether you're signed in to Xbox LIVE or not.
License restoration will only work on the console as returned to you by Microsoft’s service center.
If you need further assistance contact Customer Support.
  • United States and Canada: 1-800-4MY-XBOX (1-800-469-9269)
    TTY users: 1-866-740-XBOX (1-866-740-9269)
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/account/postrepair.htm

My Console was shipped last friday, Its on its way back to me already!...I'll have it before GTA4 comes out....Hallejuah!!!

OK so heres the problem. I was playing Halo when all of a sudden the power in the house blinked out for a second. Immediately my xbox threw up the RROD but after i turned it off and on again it was all good.

But I did notice that even when my xbox wired controller is hooked up to the xbox that the light that corresponds with it (top left for first player) is not lighting up. Now this wouldn't bother me but I use a wireless headset, so even though it recognizes my xbox it does not sync to a controller. No light on the ring showed up for any of the four controllers I attached so the wireless mic will not work for me. Anyone hear of this before? Anyway to get it working? I will be calling MS but I wanted to gauge responses here before I spend way too long on the phone. Thanks

Also my memory card is fryed as a result of the power surge as well. And I have it in a power strip not a surge protector :(

That is a really odd event. The only advice I can give is get some surge protectors. I have one in every outlet. Not so much for surges, but more for additional outlets. I recently bought a gaming one that has slots for labels and such since I have a tv, pc, ps3, ds, vcr, lamp, and very soon a 360 to it so the labels are great. I hope it all goes well for you.

I had something similar happen with my Wii. I don't know if it was related to a power surge, but my Wii would not communicate with any of my wiimotes. I unplugged the power cord from the back of my Wii for about 5 minutes and plugged it back up and everything was fine after that.

Like I said though, I'm not sure if it was related to a power surge or not as I hadn't played it in a couple of weeks and when I went to play it, it had that issue. That's what cleared up the lack of communication and syncing for me though.

So I got my first Red Ring finally on my Elite. Is there any sort of consolation they send out besides hopefully a fixed console?

[quote name='furyk']So I got my first Red Ring finally on my Elite. Is there any sort of consolation they send out besides hopefully a fixed console?[/quote]

A million bucks! :rofl:

seriously read the faq

[quote name='Lokki']I had something similar happen with my Wii. I don't know if it was related to a power surge, but my Wii would not communicate with any of my wiimotes. I unplugged the power cord from the back of my Wii for about 5 minutes and plugged it back up and everything was fine after that.

Like I said though, I'm not sure if it was related to a power surge or not as I hadn't played it in a couple of weeks and when I went to play it, it had that issue. That's what cleared up the lack of communication and syncing for me though.[/QUOTE]

Actually the thing with the wiimotes have happened to me a few times as well as my brother in law had it happened to him.

I had a really bad power surge...but fortunately nothing got affected...sorry to hear about what happened to you OP.

I'll soon be inducing the RRoD on a console for a friend. I'll film and document the process for posterity (and for CAG). This should be fun.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']That is a really odd event. The only advice I can give is get some surge protectors. I have one in every outlet. Not so much for surges, but more for additional outlets. I recently bought a gaming one that has slots for labels and such since I have a tv, pc, ps3, ds, vcr, lamp, and very soon a 360 to it so the labels are great. I hope it all goes well for you.[/quote]

actually, MS specifically tells you to never plug a 360 into a power strip or surge protector when you call into them.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I am still waiting for someone to answer that question in the Original Post!!

Seriously all those people who are having this problem are because they aren't logged into live? If you don't want to be bothered while playing one of these games, then you can always set yourself to off line mode.[/QUOTE]

For me it has nothing to do with being bothered while playing, and everything to do with getting
what I payed for, not what MS feels it can shove down my throat.

[quote name='braindeadalive']Important Information About Your Downloaded Content After Console Repair/Refurbishment[/QUOTE] snip for length.

This ONLY works if MS has assigned the new/refurb's serial number and console ID number to
the download content prior to your attempting these steps. This is the item missing from the
description that those of us who cannot play the content offline/through other accounts on the
same console are continually calling MS to initiate. It will not work if they have not done this.

quick question....once i receive the coffin....how many does do i have to drop it off at UPS by? 1 wk? 2 wks? 3 wks? thanks.

[quote name='Lokki']I had something similar happen with my Wii. I don't know if it was related to a power surge, but my Wii would not communicate with any of my wiimotes. I unplugged the power cord from the back of my Wii for about 5 minutes and plugged it back up and everything was fine after that.

Like I said though, I'm not sure if it was related to a power surge or not as I hadn't played it in a couple of weeks and when I went to play it, it had that issue. That's what cleared up the lack of communication and syncing for me though.[/quote]

wow that actually worked. thanks very much. i was gonna be upset if i had to go back to a wired controller. mem card is still fryed however, which sucks but at least i still have a hard drive. thanks again lokki.

[quote name='GeneralJenkins']wow that actually worked. thanks very much. i was gonna be upset if i had to go back to a wired controller. mem card is still fryed however, which sucks but at least i still have a hard drive. thanks again lokki.[/quote]

Np.. I'm glad that it worked. I wasn't sure that it would, but I was hoping. :D

[quote name='ITDEFX']I am really starting to get the feeling that the service center is sending out units with a higher GPU failure rates than RRoDs![/QUOTE]

Bring it on, I have extended warranty which covers the entire console until November 2010 :D

Is anyone else filling out the online form vs. calling? I still have not received notification that my coffin has shipped to me as promised on the website...

[quote name='chrisc133']Is anyone else filling out the online form vs. calling? I still have not received notification that my coffin has shipped to me as promised on the website...[/QUOTE]

For some reason my online support app is broken. I can't register consoles or request repairs from it. So I called mine in...

[quote name='cheapbrass']quick question....once i receive the coffin....how many does do i have to drop it off at UPS by? 1 wk? 2 wks? 3 wks? thanks.[/quote]

what?

[quote name='ITDEFX']what?[/QUOTE]

quick question....once i receive the coffin....how many DAYS do i have to drop it off at UPS by? 1 wk? 2 wks? 3 wks? thanks.

bread's done
Back