XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

Man and I thought that I was not going to be posting in this thread :cry:

Well I'm kinda freakin' out here a bit, so I got the RROD so then I turned it off (bout 10-15 sec.) and turned it back on and no RROD. This happened when I was trying to play GH III and I kept getting "Unreadable disc" and "This disc is only playable in XB360", Does this mean that the disc is shot or does this mean that the RROD is approaching?

Thanks for the help, and sorry if some of these ?'s have been answered in previous posts.

I am getting a lot of those DRE in multi player mode of GTA4. It would be working find during a game then bam, DRE but I can still hear everyone then I press a button and get the boot.

I will be so furious if my drive completely dies and MS says I have to pay them to fix it. Great my so called "3 month" warranty with them is about to expire any time now.

I'm sorry to be posting this question, but I read the OP and saw no answer.

The customer rep told me that Microsoft would not be sending a box, and that I would be providing a return shipping box for my RRoD 360.

Has anybody else had to do this? I don't really want to have to pay for packing materials for my broken 360.

[quote name='RudyPants']I'm sorry to be posting this question, but I read the OP and saw no answer.

The customer rep told me that Microsoft would not be sending a box, and that I would be providing a return shipping box for my RRoD 360.

Has anybody else had to do this? I don't really want to have to pay for packing materials for my broken 360.[/quote]

Check the OP again. They are suppose to send you a box with a return UPS label with the necessary packing materials. Did you ask for an electronic UPS label over email?

If they (the outsource CSR) said they aren't going to send you a box, you better call them back with the numbers they gave you (you did write this down right?) and request a return shipping box with UPS label. If you really don't want to wait several days, ask for the UPS label over email since it is faster and ship it out yourself.

I am still waiting on fellow cags to post their screenshots of graphic glitches caused by GPU malfunctions. Please take the time to take pictures (without flash if possible) of your graphic corruption and up load it here.

thanks

[quote name='ITDEFX']Check the OP again. They are suppose to send you a box with a return UPS label with the necessary packing materials. Did you ask for an electronic UPS label over email?

If they (the outsource CSR) said they aren't going to send you a box, you better call them back with the numbers they gave you (you did write this down right?) and request a return shipping box with UPS label. If you really don't want to wait several days, ask for the UPS label over email since it is faster and ship it out yourself.[/quote]

They sent me a return shipping label via e-mail, but said specifically that it was my responsibility to package my 360. It sounded strange, since I've heard a lot about coffins. Maybe I'll contact them again tomorrow and have them ship a coffin.

[quote name='RudyPants']They sent me a return shipping label via e-mail, but said specifically that it was my responsibility to package my 360. It sounded strange, since I've heard a lot about coffins. Maybe I'll contact them again tomorrow and have them ship a coffin.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that they ran out of coffins for the moment.

[quote name='thorbahn3']My guess is that they ran out of coffins for the moment.[/quote]

It's possible.

[quote name='RudyPants']They sent me a return shipping label via e-mail, but said specifically that it was my responsibility to package my 360. It sounded strange, since I've heard a lot about coffins. Maybe I'll contact them again tomorrow and have them ship a coffin.[/quote]

Yea you are not going to get a box when you request for an electronic shipping label. You will need to get your own box OR go to UPS and buy a box (this might get a bit expensive) then ship it out with that label.
As you can see in the OP, it is nothing special except some padding. You can insert other padding of your choice just as long as the box is sealed properly and the box can handle the wieght of the 360.

i just got my box, could i ship my 360 via those ups self service drop box or is it too big? or how much were the shipping charges via home pickup?

[quote name='ITDEFX']It's possible.

Yea you are not going to get a box when you request for an electronic shipping label. You will need to get your own box OR go to UPS and buy a box (this might get a bit expensive) then ship it out with that label.
As you can see in the OP, it is nothing special except some padding. You can insert other padding of your choice just as long as the box is sealed properly and the box can handle the wieght of the 360.[/quote]

I actually just called them and made them send me a coffin. It was kind of a pain in the ass for the CSR, but I'm not paying for ANY packaging charges to ship them my broken console.

As for me requesting an electornic shipping label, that wasn't a choice. I was told what I was going to do initially.

I don't like how there's more than one option, and some people get the crappy option, like me.

So they've had my 360 for 9 days now...and the latest thing on ups is that is was delivered on 6/30. Any word on when the estimated arrival date (to me) shows up?

[quote name='RudyPants']I actually just called them and made them send me a coffin. It was kind of a pain in the ass for the CSR, but I'm not paying for ANY packaging charges to ship them my broken console.

As for me requesting an electornic shipping label, that wasn't a choice. I was told what I was going to do initially.

I don't like how there's more than one option, and some people get the crappy option, like me.[/quote]

*shrugs*

I don't know what to tell you then. It's a fairly easy process and not really a hassle to find a box for your 360. There is a chance you might not see that same 360 so it's better gone than a reminder...it's your hard drive you don't want to fail (lots of save game data). Just get it to MS any way you can even if it costs you a few bucks to send it.

[quote name='Foo228']So they've had my 360 for 9 days now...and the latest thing on ups is that is was delivered on 6/30. Any word on when the estimated arrival date (to me) shows up?[/quote]

Is that 9 business days or 9 regular days? If it's 9 business days, that would seem to be quite a bit longer than expected. You might want to call them up to see what's going on.

[quote name='rly723']i just got my box, could i ship my 360 via those ups self service drop box or is it too big? or how much were the shipping charges via home pickup?[/quote]

Call UPS to find this out.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
Is that 9 business days or 9 regular days? If it's 9 business days, that would seem to be quite a bit longer than expected. You might want to call them up to see what's going on.[/quote]

Not including weekends, 7 days so far.

[quote name='Foo228']Not including weekends, 7 days so far.[/quote]

Give it 1 more day, then call that number in the FAQ with your ref number and see where is your 360 in the que.

I joined your group :wave:
But I'm leaving on Friday, so I'm not calling until I come back.. :bomb:

This shit is so played.
They have a DRM tool now, right? Because I have like 50+ arcade games that i bought, but now my BF won't be able to play.. is this true? Or, is it too late to use the DRM tool (when I get it back, of course)

[quote name='lilboo']I joined your group :wave:
But I'm leaving on Friday, so I'm not calling until I come back.. :bomb:

This shit is so played.
They have a DRM tool now, right? Because I have like 50+ arcade games that i bought, but now my BF won't be able to play.. is this true? Or, is it too late to use the DRM tool (when I get it back, of course)[/quote]

SUPPOSEDLY all new repairs are supposed to have already gone through the DRM tool process.

Mine just died last week and I got a coffin, but I went through service.xbox.com. I highly suggest doing that as it's much easier to go through that than it is to deal with CSR's from India.

My timeline:

Shipped my box back: June 26
Arrived to Texas: July 3
They acknowledged receipt: July 6

Now when I check my repair status, it says "Device shipped back to customer" and they provided a tracking # (as of July 8) yet the UPS tracking still only reads "Billing Info received". Yet I have not received an email from MS stating that its been shipped back yet, so I assume that I will once it actually is shipped which I dont think it has been yet since the tracking has not updated. There is no listing of a serial #, nor is the console I sent in listed (had to look up my repair status by service request #).

14084109lg4.jpg

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']My timeline:

Shipped my box back: June 26
Arrived to Texas: July 3
They acknowledged receipt: July 6

Now when I check my repair status, it says "Device shipped back to customer" and they provided a tracking # (as of July 8) yet the UPS tracking still only reads "Billing Info received". Yet I have not received an email from MS stating that its been shipped back yet, so I assume that I will once it actually is shipped which I dont think it has been yet since the tracking has not updated. There is no listing of a serial #, nor is the console I sent in listed (had to look up my repair status by service request #).

14084109lg4.jpg
[/quote]

Ooops that can't be good. Better give them a call to see what's up with that. Would hate to see you come back with an empty box.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Ooops that can't be good. Better give them a call to see what's up with that. Would hate to see you come back with an empty box.[/quote]

I dont think its that serious yet. Im not worried about the serial # not being listed, because I didn't register it until the day I called to request the repair, and other people have had that happen as well, and the UPS tracking still shows only "Billing Info received", so its obviously not left yet. The one thing that irks me is that I havent gotten an email about it being repaired, but I did for every other step.

If its still where its at now by Monday, then I will be concerned, but nothing is really glaring at the moment.

[quote name='MSUHitman']SUPPOSEDLY all new repairs are supposed to have already gone through the DRM tool process.

Mine just died last week and I got a coffin, but I went through service.xbox.com. I highly suggest doing that as it's much easier to go through that than it is to deal with CSR's from India.[/QUOTE]

So.. when I get it back all I have to do is plug my HDD back in and everything should be fine? (In terms of playing XBLA games and using add-on content)

[quote name='lilboo']So.. when I get it back all I have to do is plug my HDD back in and everything should be fine? (In terms of playing XBLA games and using add-on content)[/QUOTE]

You might have to redownload all your DLC.

They will make it so you can transfer licenses, to do that you just redownload everything to the refurbished 360 that they send you. It's not too big of a deal as you only have to download the license which takes like 5 seconds to download rather than the content in its entirety.

You have to do it for everything though, which is a bit annoying, that even includes the free gamerpics and themes you've downloaded (unless you don't need to access them on other accounts).

Well I had no problems with the service. Shipped out on June 24th & got it back July 9. I got lucky that I had a repair center in the state next door. My serial # is the same but the mfr date changed.

Original mfr date: 10-24-2006
New mfr date: 06-25-2008

My product id # also changed 3 numbers. Any ideas of what they might have did to it?

Oh yeah for the guy with the UPS "billing info recieved" for his tracking # I had that for a few days then it went to "arrival scan" in the next city over. I had a scheduled delivery date of today but it came in late last night and I was lucky to catch the UPS man. So you may get your box in a day earlier than scheduled if it's just in the next city.

[quote name='flytronix']Well I had no problems with the service. Shipped out on June 24th & got it back July 9. I got lucky that I had a repair center in the state next door. My serial # is the same but the mfr date changed.

My product id # also changed 3 numbers. Any ideas of what they might have did to it?

Oh yeah for the guy with the UPS "billing info recieved" for his tracking # I had that for a few days then it went to "arrival scan" in the next city over. I had a scheduled delivery date of today but it came in late last night and I was lucky to catch the UPS man. So you may get your box in a day earlier than scheduled if it's just in the next city.[/quote]

You might have gotten completely new guts inside.

I'm a little confused, I got the RROD today and I called in and they aren't sending out a coffin, they just e-mail me a letter? I'm confused now. What type of box do I put this in and do I include any information, I'm pretty stupid when it comes to shipping things like these and I want to make sure it doesn't get lost and they know it's mine or whatever.

[quote name='FrankySox']I'm a little confused, I got the RROD today and I called in and they aren't sending out a coffin, they just e-mail me a letter? I'm confused now. What type of box do I put this in and do I include any information, I'm pretty stupid when it comes to shipping things like these and I want to make sure it doesn't get lost and they know it's mine or whatever.[/quote]

I don't think they are going to email you a letter, more like email you an electronic shipping label for you to print out and take to UPS. As for the box, look at the specs listed in the OP and find something similar. It is best to put those bubble wraps on the sides to give your 360 some good padding. Did they ask you for the power supply?

[quote name='ITDEFX']I don't think they are going to email you a letter, more like email you an electronic shipping label for you to print out and take to UPS. As for the box, look at the specs listed in the OP and find something similar. It is best to put those bubble wraps on the sides to give your 360 some good padding. Did they ask you for the power supply?[/QUOTE]

No they don't want my power supply, I'll probably just take it to the UPS store and have the employee pick out a box. I really don't care if the damn 360 arrives in three pieces.

Anyways are people finding that the systems they receive back from MS are actually lasting and does the warranty renew or how does that work?

[quote name='flytronix']Well I had no problems with the service. Shipped out on June 24th & got it back July 9. I got lucky that I had a repair center in the state next door. My serial # is the same but the mfr date changed.

Oh yeah for the guy with the UPS "billing info recieved" for his tracking # I had that for a few days then it went to "arrival scan" in the next city over. I had a scheduled delivery date of today but it came in late last night and I was lucky to catch the UPS man. So you may get your box in a day earlier than scheduled if it's just in the next city.[/quote]

Nah Im a few states away, it changed today though, its finally left Texas and is due to be delivered on Tuesday.

Whats funny though is that I got an email every step of the way except the completed repair/return. I called them today before the UPS data changed and the CSR I had was pretty decent, so Im just going to hope that its all good, the fact theres a delivery date on there is all I need right now lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently my 360 came today. I come home and my sister just gave it to me LOL.

I'm trying to use it sparingly though, don't want another breakdown so soon (and been playing Cars...nothing near the epicness that was BioShock that red ringed the sob)

By the way, it's the same exact model as the one I sent in (was hoping for an 08 but that's alright).

[quote name='FrankySox']I'm a little confused, I got the RROD today and I called in and they aren't sending out a coffin, they just e-mail me a letter? I'm confused now. What type of box do I put this in and do I include any information, I'm pretty stupid when it comes to shipping things like these and I want to make sure it doesn't get lost and they know it's mine or whatever.[/quote]

Same thing happened to me (see above). If you call and bitch enough (like I did) you can get them to send one out. If you don't care, then you'll probably get it much faster doing it with the e-mail notification.

To add to the guy that replied above this, yep same thing for me. My box RROD'd on June 26 and when I called they said they would send me a prepaid UPS shipping label and this was fine for me. You apparently can bitch and moan to get a box, but that adds another week onto the wait.

Its not hard to find a box for it, but if it is, what I did was went to Walmart and got a brand new box (1.99 or something) and a package of bubble wrap (something like 3 bucks), packed it up in the car after buying the stuff and dropped it off at UPS right after. I had tape already.

Unless you're adamantly against paying for packing materials unless you already have them in your house, they'll email you a PDF with the label, you just print that out and tape it on the box.

Yeah call them back & bitch. The Indian CSR gave me the 2 options: send prepaid coffin or send email label. I chose coffin of course and only took like 2 days to get here. They prolly did just give me new guts & the falcon chipset cause it runs a lot quieter now. I think they just print out a new sticker at the center with different mfr date & product id but kept same serial #.

Reports indicate they have lost over a billion dollars due to the RRoD, so I am not surprised they are trying to find ways to cut costs during the repair cycle. Shipping must be costing them a lot of money.

Sweet jebus. The day that I had feared finally arrived. After seeing weird glitches (system would freeze and show vertical white dashes) while watching DVDs and playing games, I knew it would happen. Just discovered it about 20 minutes ago.

The crappiest part is that I hardly played the damn thing. Can't believe it broke down so fast. Guess I'll be joining you fellas for a while now.

Well, I'm off to do all of the bullcrap work to get this process started. I'm still under the 3 year warranty, right? Cause if I have to pay for anything then I will probably throw it away, I can't afford to be paying them 100 or more dollars to fix it.

Edit: WTF?! I just went online to setup a repair rather than dealing with the CSR and it says I have to pay 99! What's up with that? I thought they extended the warranty to three years?!

2nd Edit: Had to call in to get the free repair. I'll be getting a coffin, with the option to schedule a pickup from the UPS guy, which is nice because I live really far away from the nearest UPS store, so it would suck to waste gas on a trip like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I was just wondering how long you are finding it takes for Microsoft to repair your console AFTER they receive. Just curious what the turn around time was in this process. It's been a while since I've had to do this and it better be a while til the next time.

[quote name='FrankySox']Hey I was just wondering how long you are finding it takes for Microsoft to repair your console AFTER they receive. Just curious what the turn around time was in this process. It's been a while since I've had to do this and it better be a while til the next time.[/quote]

2-3 weeks at the most. Like the FAQ said, you best be starting to work on your backlog or find a hobby to pass the time.

[quote name='ITDEFX']2-3 weeks at the most. Like the FAQ said, you best be starting to work on your backlog or find a hobby to pass the time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I knew about the 2 - 3 weeks, I was just curious how long it takes them to REPAIR it. So say they receive my Xbox today, how long will it be at the repair center before they send it out.

[quote name='FrankySox']Yeah I knew about the 2 - 3 weeks, I was just curious how long it takes them to REPAIR it. So say they receive my Xbox today, how long will it be at the repair center before they send it out.[/quote]

Depending where it is on the repair que. If you haven't gotten a message by now saying it's on it's way it's most likely sitting in the repair que and you just have to wait til a tech checks it.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Depending where it is on the repair que. If you haven't gotten a message by now saying it's on it's way it's most likely sitting in the repair que and you just have to wait til a tech checks it.[/QUOTE]

Man this really stinks...I'm probably going to whine in this thread everyday! Last time this happened I was just able to transfer my hard drive to my roomates 360 and play, but he is gone now and I have nothing to play =(

[quote name='FrankySox']Man this really stinks...I'm probably going to whine in this thread everyday! Last time this happened I was just able to transfer my hard drive to my roomates 360 and play, but he is gone now and I have nothing to play =([/quote]

You have NO other system? Older or otherwise? No books? TV Shows, MOVIES TO WATCH? (HINT
THE DARK KNIGHT COMES OUT THIS WEEK
) , GF?, Friends?!?!?!? Job?!?!? Nothing to do at all!?!?!?

Yup, my second one up and died, almost a year from the first one, actually. Maybe a few days short. Oh well, still better than my brother's, since his died four days out of the box. Still better than my friend as well, since that one died 3 hours out of the box. Yeah, I could barely believe that one, either.

Oh well. I have a UPS store right across the street so I'll buy a box and toss this one in there, no problem. Either that or I'll hit up Staples tomorrow just so I can get a slightly cheaper box.

I should be livid but...eh, it is what it is. The last two gens were filled with me facepalming about Sony every so often so now I've moved on to doing that with Microsoft.

[quote name='ITDEFX']You have NO other system? Older or otherwise? No books? TV Shows, MOVIES TO WATCH? (HINT
THE DARK KNIGHT COMES OUT THIS WEEK
) , GF?, Friends?!?!?!? Job?!?!? Nothing to do at all!?!?!?[/QUOTE]

No other systems. I've reading the Dark Tower series, but I can only read so much...Finished the Sopranos and The Wire and Lost. I'm very picky on my tv shows and those are the only ones I've watched because they are great. I'm going to the Dark Knight for sure. However I have no job, and only friends with benefits in the women department... Basically I was just really excited to play NCAA 09, that's my biggest problem with this whole situation. Oh well. Maybe I can make some new internet friends...LOL

Edit::: AND NO DVD PLAYER!!!!!! GUH

[quote name='FrankySox']and only friends with benefits in the women department...
[/quote]

Hmm... waiting around doing nothing while your 360 is in the que for weeks or friends with benefits in the women department... hmmm...:whistle2:\"

Seriously, do something in the meantime.... don't care what it is, just do it!!!

since I couldn't really understand the xbox support lady, do they send me an empty box? I just got the e-mail from UPS with my pre-paid shipping label. SO can I just use my own box and ship it out tomorrow?

bread's done
Back