XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

i just dropped off my xbox at a UPS store today [ first RROD ] and i'm sad i have to wait even longer to play Castle Crashers...

i hope i get it back in time to play Star Wars Force Unleashed.

[quote name='Caliburn']I traded for a used X360 Pro recently and so far, so good.

I had purchased a Nyko Intercooler about a month ago from Gamestop during the 25% off accessory coupon, so I can't return that after reading the damage that thing does to 360s...[/quote]

:bomb: Your asking for trouble.

My 360 has locked up about 8 times now. I'm not getting any red rings. Graphics get blocky when it does lock. Sometimes I re-boot and it gets locked right away and other times I can play for 5-15 minutes before a lockup. And now I just played for an hour problem free. Is my 360 gonna die soon or is this one of those things that might go away until something else wants to kill it? If it does die this will be #4 - and all have been babied.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Never ever tell them It's a one light of pwnage. Always complain of the three red lights of doom. Worst comes to worst you'll have to pay 100$.

How many people had their falcons fail besides Chasemurata and the guy that got a DUD from Dell?

"Dude... your getting a DUD!"

Yeah that was cruel and lame.[/quote]

Joke away! I still have my old 360 running just fine and my elite is scheduled for delivery on Friday, so it was really just a minor inconvenience. I wish I would have been able to sell my old one before the price drop. Luckily for me MS ended up sending me two transfer kits, so the $40 I'll get for selling those will more than make up for it.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']My 360 has locked up about 8 times now. I'm not getting any red rings. Graphics get blocky when it does lock. Sometimes I re-boot and it gets locked right away and other times I can play for 5-15 minutes before a lockup. And now I just played for an hour problem free. Is my 360 gonna die soon or is this one of those things that might go away until something else wants to kill it? If it does die this will be #4 - and all have been babied.[/quote]

I am having the same issue with my "new" heatsinked Elite. Mine usually locks up just sitting at the dashboard with a screech and blocked fuzzy characters that look like old ATASCII art. ;) It has done it twice tonight and I can't seem to play Too Human now. (the teleporter screen did it to me previously.)

I'm sure this is a precursor to doom... but I got no red ring yet. :)

[quote name='Fatal Snipe']I got E74 with 1 red light a couple weeks ago, and I told them it was a RROD too (I was out of warranty too). I sent it in and had no problems at all. The repair status page went from "Received" to "Shipped" within 24 hours of them receiving it.

It's coming today and the mail and I know it's actually a new one because the repair status page now says that it is "In Warranty." So look for it to say that after they ship it back so you can know if they are really sending a different xbox back.

And I have been seeing tons of people get E74 lately. My Xbox 360 broke within an hour of that update. I think that dashboard update that was a few weeks ago is the reason. Either they changed what the Xbox 360 considers 3 red lights vs 1 red light, or the update is causing the E74 problem.[/quote]

Good stuff, thanks. I was wondering if they replaced the Three Flashing lights to one flashing light...like a dick PR move or something...hmmm...

Hey guys.

A couple nights ago I was playing Halo 3, and the screen froze and a couple beeps ocurred. The frozen screen had a red checkerbox pattern, overlaying the normal graphics.

I turned it off, unplugged it and restarted. It got locked on the startup screen. After a couple tries it worked for another day. Then it did it again. After that it red ringed.

My manufacture date is 11/22/2007, it is a falcon board. I bought it on 12/31/07, and luckily the thing is under warranty.

On the phone I took out the hard drive and it didn't red ring anymore. Then I put the hard drive in and everything seemed okay for a minute, I started Bionic Commando, and it froze on the "M for Mature" screen. A couple of reboots later it red ringed again. So it was very inconsistent. But the trick to outsourced Tech Support is say all of your information SLOWLY, and say thank you a lot.

Now... time to play some NES games...

[quote name='RonnieWrecked']i just dropped off my xbox at a UPS store today [ first RROD ] and i'm sad i have to wait even longer to play Castle Crashers...

i hope i get it back in time to play Star Wars Force Unleashed.[/quote]

Aw man... Castle Crashers...

mine's on the way back from the shop. i really hope i don't get a fuckin refurb system. of course it will prolly be one seeing how mine doesn't have the hdmi port on the back to begin with. so who knows though but i'm not holding my breath.

Well, I sent my 360 out last week on the 20th. By the looks of the tracking info I should get my replacement system tomorrow. One week turnaround . . . not bad. So it's pretty obvious my system wasn't fixed and they're just sending out a replacement. I can live with that, but I hope it's not a referb.

you guys stop fucking around with the tags.
"time to buy a falcon" yeah like that's going to prevent a RRoD. :roll: FALCONS DO RED RING!!!

[quote name='cjclifford']Well, I sent my 360 out last week on the 20th. By the looks of the tracking info I should get my replacement system tomorrow. One week turnaround . . . not bad. So it's pretty obvious my system wasn't fixed and they're just sending out a replacement. I can live with that, but I hope it's not a referb.[/quote]
How far are you from the TX repair center? I sent mine in today (from Cincy) so I'm hoping I can have it by next Friday. Is this even realistic?
Do they ship your 360 back to you surface? I can't remember from my last repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ITDEFX'] :roll: FALCONS DO RED RING!!![/QUOTE]

Sorry I couldn't resist :D Mine will probably crap out in two weeks. I should have put "The wait for Vahalla/Jasper".

[quote name='cjclifford']Well, I sent my 360 out last week on the 20th. By the looks of the tracking info I should get my replacement system tomorrow. One week turnaround . . . not bad. So it's pretty obvious my system wasn't fixed and they're just sending out a replacement. I can live with that, but I hope it's not a referb.[/quote]

Son of a bitch (towards the situation; not you, I think ;)). I still haven't gotten my coffin/e-mail, and it's been three work days since I first called. :bomb:

I tried to call earlier today but kept getting connected to outsourced representatives. I plan on calling later tonight as it seems the outsourced labor do not properly do their jobs (the first two representatives I spoke with were obviously foreign).

Yeah MS is trying to save $6 (or whatever it costs) for the box + shipping to us, so now they just send you an e-mail to print out. I don't blame them because if it really does cost $6 for the box and to ship it to you (they must get some sort of discount for the volume they do) times that by 3000 repaired xboxs a day times 5 business days a week... thats a lot of cash. Don't forget they are paying for the shipping back to them and you to. Since RROD is covered for three years they aren't seeing that $100 repair fee anywhere unless your out of warranty which is coming soon for some people. Even as a tax write off MS is losing some money here.

When speaking to the CSR you can request a box and they will most likely still give you one. Just complain and say you never receive e-mails.

Also, if you don't get your prepaid label within 24 hours I would call them back. I never received one after a week and thought they were sending me a box but they weren't.

I talked to ms monday, never got my shipping label...i called today and they canceled order and gave me a new reference number...last time i sent it in, i got four reference numbers b4 my coffin arrived...now its just a shipping label, which is cool, but how long does it take to send an email..."max" that electronic SOB told me to wait 10-15 business days for my order to be processed...im calling every 24hrs until i get a label...

Well I finally got my console back today. It was actually a new one and it was made this year, amazingly. That don't mean much but hey at least it's not 2006 edition. LOL it's a more recent one. Prolly going to download some braid this weekend.

I am getting a "brand new" xbox (according to the guy on the phone) That was made the week of Aug 2007. Does this mean it has updated heat sinks, or anything done at all to decrease the probability of failure? My original was a premium w/ hdmi made around that time.

Also reading alot of forums there seems to be alot of douche hammers claiming that the 3 year warranty extends from the date of replacement for the original RROD box. But M$ clearly states this is not the case:
Any replacement parts or Xbox Product will be new or refurbished or serviceably used, comparable in function and performance to the original part or Xbox Product and warranted for the remainder of the original Warranty Period or 30 days from the date of shipment of the Xbox Product back to you, whichever is longer.
I would emphasize that...

Mine RROD on Sunday. Called MS that night. Got my shipping email Monday morning. Shipped it out this afternoon.

Only had the silly thing for about a year. Only good thing is that I'm no longer a RROD virgin. :)

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']How far are you from the TX repair center? I sent mine in today (from Cincy) so I'm hoping I can have it by next Friday. Is this even realistic?[/QUOTE]
I'm in Northern Kentucky. I got an automated call from UPS today saying my 360 should arrive Friday the 29th. Sent it in on the 20th and get it back on the 29th. Not bad.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I didn't think they sent coffins out anymore. They emailed me a UPS return slip.[/QUOTE]
They sent me a coffin.

Heads up to the people that are receiving coffins. You have to pull out the tabs out of the foamed padding. Don't waste you time like me and waste 3-5 trying to figure out how to use the paddings. I swear it wasen't like that before.

Played last night then my 360 lost video output. I have a staticy video output. I can hear the audio output and no flashing red lights on the console.

Is my baby dead?

[quote name='Dante Devil']Played last night then my 360 lost video output. I have a staticy video output. I can hear the audio output and no flashing red lights on the console.

Is my baby dead?[/quote]

The gpu is about to go, so yea.

It finally happened. My "new" heatsink year-old Elite just died. Nice. Time to call the foreigners.

...this is the last Microsoft console I'll ever buy. They fooled me twice... shame on me.

Well I'm fairly disappointed. My 360 was supposed to be delivered today, but it seems the frickin' UPS guy doesn't know how to knock on a door so people can hear. Now I have to wait until Tuesday.

Well, after three separate days (last Saturday, Wednesday, and today) of talking to Microsoft reps about not receiving the shipping e-mail, I hope to finally receive the damn thing so I can get my shit shipped out already.

The last two calls? "Oh, I'm sorry. It appears your order was not fully processed."

If I have to call again, I'm going to start yelling. These foreign fucks need to be taught a lesson.

[/anger]

Yeah it should be mentioned that you should keep your coffin somewhere. Because more and more reports are trickling in that the CSRs are being bitchs when it comes to sending coffins. I'm guessing in the next few months everything will be label only.

Hi, just today my xbox broke down for the second time. However my warranty expired in May. Is there any way to replace it for free, ie buy a brand new one and get the warranty and fix the old one

I just checked my repair status online. MS received my 360 9:00 PM on Friday. Today (Sunday) my status changed to "device shipped to customer", saying it has been repaired/replaced. Since UPS isn't open since they received it, and Monday is a holiday. Should I just expect that it will probably ship out on Tuesday? Will I get an email of a tracking # or just will show up? Thanks.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I just checked my repair status online. MS received my 360 9:00 PM on Friday. Today (Sunday) my status changed to "device shipped to customer", saying it has been repaired/replaced. Since UPS isn't open since they received it, and Monday is a holiday. Should I just expect that it will probably ship out on Tuesday? Will I get an email of a tracking # or just will show up? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
If they have your e-mail address, you'll get an e-mail with a tracking number. And if they have your phone number, you'll get an automated call from UPS the day before your package should arrive, and they'll probably tell you the package will be delivered between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.

[quote name='Dante Devil']Is that something that can be easily fixed by me?[/quote]

:whistle2:s

Your kidding right?

Not unless you have some spare GPU parts lying around, know exactly how to take apart and put back together a 360, and oh yea figure out how to NOT BREAK THE DAMN MICROSOFT LABELS!!!! (which of course means voiding your chances of getting it fixed for free!)

Just call it in.

My 360 died over the weekend. 3 red rings. My first 360...bought it in January of 07. I'm sending it out today via a label...they did ask me if I wanted a coffin though.

How long does it take for UPS to update the tracking for the return? Mine says it was shipped/billed on 8/31 (Sunday) and the status still says "billing information received". I know it was Sunday then a holiday, but now on Tuesday I thought I would have an eta. Does this mean it probably hasn't shipped yet or just give the UPS site awhile to get updated? Also Is UPS still moving packages on Sundays and holidays? I can't wait to get my 360 back. 4th death, all babied.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']How long does it take for UPS to update the tracking for the return? [/QUOTE]
They can be kind of inconsistent. You'd think as soon as they scan it the system would update, but who knows. If it was shipped back on the 31st, you'll probably have your 360 back by Monday the 8th.

Speaking of which, I finally got my 360 back today. And interestingly enough, it is not a replacement. They actually fixed my 360 in one day. Yeah, I'm surprised. It started up just fine.

I just talked to customer support and they said mine was replaced. I'm assuming if I sent a unit with HDMI I will 100% get an HDMI 360 back correct? It sucks also that 3 weeks before this unit died I did the license transfer for all my XBLA games from my previous dead unit. Now I have to wait a year to do it on my current 360. There isn't anyway around this is there?

8/5/08 Second repair order submitted cause of CSR screw up
8/11/08 Box Received by me
8/14/08 Box Sent
8/27/08 Refurb Received with 6/25/08 date

If the CSR didn't screw up the first time this would have been just three weeks turn around time. I obviously got a refurb (the sticker gives it off), and sadly It's a XENON PRO according to the tag! Here I thought we were all supposed to receive OPUS ones?

Well I'm selling this 360 to a friend, hopefully he doesn't have any problems till he buys his elite, otherwise It's gonna cost him $100 (my 3 year warranty ends in December and if I only get three months after my repair that means sometime this November then). I'm only charging him $150 for my old box, two wired controllers, component cables and 20 gig HD so he's getting a steal even if it happens to break again.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='OzCatter']My 2nd finally died. Hate how they dont send coffins no more to some of us. I gotta figure out how to ship it now.[/quote]

It costed me $2 at the UPS store for a box and packing. I just walked in with my 360 and the label and they knew exactly what to do.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Well I'm selling this 360 to a friend...my 3 year warranty ends in December[/quote]

There is no way I would sell my old 360 to a friend knowing the warranty expires in Dec. That's worse than loaning money to a family member. I'm in the same boat and I went straight to CL where I explicitedly stated the warranty terms.

[quote name='jkanownik']There is no way I would sell my old 360 to a friend knowing the warranty expires in Dec. That's worse than loaning money to a family member. I'm in the same boat and I went straight to CL where I explicitedly stated the warranty terms.[/QUOTE]

Why do you think I sold it to him so cheap? I also already let him know It's expiring in November or December and he went with it anyways. Still with everything he's getting it cheaper then the $200 arcade MRSP, not to mention all the accessories I'm giving him.

Still pissed over the OPUS deal but we'll see how long it lasts him.

Customer service.... argh. I call MS just to see if my package has actually shipped as my tracking # on UPS says "billing received" but no eta. MS tells me the package has shipped. Call UPS they say they haven't received the package just the "intent to ship" info from MS.

Sigh. I'm not getting RROD, but something funky is happening. When I play the Tales of Vesperia demo and/or the full game, my system freezes during the cinemas. I don't even get to the gameplay before it freezes and goes to black.

The only other thing that's caused some hiccup is the Force Unleashed demo...the opening Lucasarts cinematic stutters, but it never gets stuck and it plays fine from there.

So, I called support and they don't have a clue what the problem could be. At first they told me it was a disc issue, but I kept telling them about the same thing with the demo and they finally understood. I looked for corrupt files, cleaned my cache and tried to play w/o the hard drive plugged in.....still freezes up.

Bottom line is that they're sending me a label. I'm torn because all of my other games work and have worked just fine. I won't die if i don't get to play Tales of Vesperia. FYI, I bought my console new in November 2007.

What do you think, oh friendly CAGer's? Is it worth sending in my console for this problem, or should I just sell ToV?

my launch xbox suffering from the 7th rrod cured it using the heatgun trick and better thermal paste. Cold solder joints will fail every launch model

My Falcon 360 just died yesterday. I kept getting checkerboard freezes when I played madden but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

This really sucks. I really bought into the whole "falcon will be teh pwn RROD!!" propaganda......Jasper here I come?

bread's done
Back