XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

Sigh, RROD on my Elite, mfg 6/21/07, at least it's still under RROD warranty. Xbox's website is screwy, can't seem to register the console, called up customer support, they are having problems registering the console as well.

I was just getting into Mass Effect 2, this really sucks. I'll probably just see the warranty process through and hopefully I get a new chipset (not holding my breath).

Customer support confirmed that xbox.com repair registration as well as their systems are down and asked me to call back in 3 hours. It just keeps getting better.

Same thing happened to me last month. The site just kept giving all different types of errors. One time, it came back that I had a different console. Thing is screwed up.

If you have an issue with registering a console, there may be a problem with the hardware accounts (as MS support called it) associated with your Windows Live ID used for Xbox Live.

I had a problem with my Pro 20GB not showing up on the site, nor being able to register it on Xbox.com under my profile. When I called them to look into the issue, the rep said I had two "hardware accounts" under my Windows Live ID, and that he had to merge them together to get everything to sync up. Once they did that, my Pro 20GB shows up under my profile.

This was about a month ago, and it's been fine ever since. That might be the issue with not having your console be able to register on the Xbox.com site.

This has probably been said already, but they still give out free coffins. You can either ask a rep directly, or choose the "standard" option when filing a repair at xbox.com.

[quote name='shrike4242']If you have an issue with registering a console, there may be a problem with the hardware accounts (as MS support called it) associated with your Windows Live ID used for Xbox Live.

I had a problem with my Pro 20GB not showing up on the site, nor being able to register it on Xbox.com under my profile. When I called them to look into the issue, the rep said I had two "hardware accounts" under my Windows Live ID, and that he had to merge them together to get everything to sync up. Once they did that, my Pro 20GB shows up under my profile.

This was about a month ago, and it's been fine ever since. That might be the issue with not having your console be able to register on the Xbox.com site.[/QUOTE]

Nope, they had a site problem, customer service confirmed it last night. Looks like the problem was fixed today, I was able to register and send it out. Good thing I was able to find an Amazon box laying around that was the right size. Here's hoping I get a Jasper back! *cross fingers*

[quote name='Yamato']This has probably been said already, but they still give out free coffins. You can either ask a rep directly, or choose the "standard" option when filing a repair at xbox.com.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have any option to do that on Xbox.com. My only options were to print a label, or have it mailed. Has anyone actually confirmed that they'll send you a coffin if you call? I mean that it's not YMMV?

[quote name='Wolfpup']I didn't have any option to do that on Xbox.com. My only options were to print a label, or have it mailed. Has anyone actually confirmed that they'll send you a coffin if you call? I mean that it's not YMMV?[/QUOTE]
Well thats pretty weird. I had no trouble requesting a box when filling out a repair order.

When did you place your order? Maybe it depends on location?

[quote name='Wolfpup']I didn't have any option to do that on Xbox.com. My only options were to print a label, or have it mailed. Has anyone actually confirmed that they'll send you a coffin if you call? I mean that it's not YMMV?[/QUOTE]

I asked multiple times when I called and they said they stopped giving coffins out a while ago. Someone posted earlier that using the "label ship" option got them a coffin, but it's YMMV.

[quote name='BigBen']I asked multiple times when I called and they said they stopped giving coffins out a while ago. Someone posted earlier that using the "label ship" option got them a coffin, but it's YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Well that's terrible. Not sure why I had the box option online since no one else seems to be getting it to show up. And I guess most phone reps aren't giving them, either.

Sorry guys.

On a side note, my coffin will show up tomorrow according to UPS. Now I'm wondering if I actually WILL get a box.

Last month, when I put in a request, there was definitely an option to get a box. But I already had a decent size box and some packaging materials lying around, so I didn't bother.

About how long does it take for these to reach the repair center? My tracking information just says that billing info has been received.

[quote name='Yamato']4-ish days? Really depends on your location, they're going to Texas.[/QUOTE]

Mine left Maryland a week ago...unless someone stole it from my fiance's moms office.

Edit, I must've generated 2 tracking numbers...seems mine arrived Tuesday...4 business days after shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
My refurb already bit the dust to a e 86 error. no signs leading up to it too. lasted all of one month. fucking bullshit.

edit: wait, just realized I had the 74 error before. but this one is 86. same screen though, different number and the same single blinking red ring. ugh.

edit2: SAVED. told me to just unplug the power cable and plug it back in, and it worked. weird. don't see how it could become loose sitting in the back of my tv, but thank god.

[quote name='ubernes']My refurb already bit the dust to a e 86 error. no signs leading up to it too. lasted all of one month. fucking bullshit.

edit: wait, just realized I had the 74 error before. but this one is 86. same screen though, different number and the same single blinking red ring. ugh.

edit2: SAVED. told me to just unplug the power cable and plug it back in, and it worked. weird. don't see how it could become loose sitting in the back of my tv, but thank god.[/QUOTE]

So E 86 is a power issue then?

By the way, I got my coffin today. Sorry for those who can't request them.

I received back my 360 yesterday and I received a new console (checked for the silver seal) with a production date of 1-9-2010. This one is ALOT quieter than my old one.

[quote name='LordVila']I received back my 360 yesterday and I received a new console (checked for the silver seal) with a production date of 1-9-2010. This one is ALOT quieter than my old one.[/QUOTE]

Good for you! I hope I get as lucky as you did.

Actually, I just hope I get a fixed console back at all. I was under warranty, but to be honest my warranty seal isn't there. I've cleaned out my system before - you wouldn't believe the dust!

[quote name='LordVila']I received back my 360 yesterday and I received a new console (checked for the silver seal) with a production date of 1-9-2010. This one is ALOT quieter than my old one.[/QUOTE]

I wish I got that. The refurbished one I was returned is louder than my old one. I've gotten used to it now, but it sounded like a power generator starting up.

Getting a brand new one back would be sweet, but at this point i'd be happy with any working xbox...snowed in without it is boring!

[quote name='bfauble83']Getting a brand new one back would be sweet, but at this point i'd be happy with any working xbox...snowed in without it is boring![/QUOTE]

I'm feeling your pain! I was just getting in to Mass Effect 2 when mine RROD'd. I lost power for most of the weekend though, so having my 360 back wouldn't have made much of a difference I guess...

[quote name='BigBen']I'm feeling your pain! I was just getting in to Mass Effect 2 when mine RROD'd. I lost power for most of the weekend though, so having my 360 back wouldn't have made much of a difference I guess...[/QUOTE]
I'm with you guys - at least I have ol' PS2 and Gamecube to hold me over until my 360 comes back.

Going by the manufacture date, I didn't get a new one...looks like a 2007 model. I'm supposed to receive it today, but we are in a blizzard warning so i doubt UPS makes it here.

I thankfully just got mine back yesterday, I managed to get a refurb for the second time, but this one with a really recent fix date of 1-23-2010, but I think from now on I'm just going to fix them myself. Make my life a lot easier, since I've had to return mine twice and I've barely had the thing over a year.

Just had my second 360 RROD on me.

1st 360: 12/26/06 - 04/29/08
2nd 360: 05/08/08 - 02/10/10 (RROD: 0110)

/sidenote: I found my Best Buy PRP receipt; I'm glad I thought to put it in the box with everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay so my Elite of ~15 months got the E73 screen (not covered under extended warranty) few weeks back. I've been able to revive it everytime it happens thinks to "the fan trick".

However, today I got the E74 screen which IS covered under the extended warranty. Unfortunately, I turned the system on/off and the screen reverts to the E73 one instead. So far I have seen my Elite with the E74 screen only twice today/ever (E73 over a dozen times since it first happened).

Now what exactly do I have to do to ensure that I will be able to send my Elite in for repairs for free?

[quote name='Gamer SDP']okay so my Elite of ~15 months got the E73 screen (not covered under extended warranty) few weeks back. I've been able to revive it everytime it happens thinks to "the fan trick".

However, today I got the E74 screen which IS covered under the extended warranty. Unfortunately, I turned the system on/off and the screen reverts to the E73 one instead. So far I have seen my Elite with the E74 screen only twice today/ever (E73 over a dozen times since it first happened).

Now what exactly do I have to do to ensure that I will be able to send my Elite in for repairs for free?[/QUOTE]
I was in the same boat as you. I would keep getting something that wasn't covered under my warranty, and maybe 1/10 tries I would get the 3 red lights, or RROD.

I was worried that they would turn it on and see the one that WASN'T covered..but I guess they didn't.

You could always overheat your system to make it give you the 3 red lights, but I don't recommend that. You have nothing to lose, just request a repair and say that you have the E74. You can even do this on xbox.com if that would be easier.

Worst case scenario: They won't fix it for free because of the E73, and they send it back. You didn't lose any cash for shipping, just about a week of your 360 time.

I had no problems though when I sent mine in. I didn't even have the warranty sticker, plus it was obvious that it had been opened (you could see the little knife marks I made trying to undo the back pins). It is on its way back, repaired/replaced, free of charge.

I'm guessing if you have one that is past the 3 year warranty you're screwed and have to pay the $100 to get it repaired. I have another 360 in my house that is still under warranty what are the odds that they would check the serial number before fixing it?

[quote name='NeueZiel']I'm guessing if you have one that is past the 3 year warranty you're screwed and have to pay the $100 to get it repaired. I have another 360 in my house that is still under warranty what are the odds that they would check the serial number before fixing it?[/QUOTE]

I doubt that they'll check the serial number, especially since its part of the shell that they remove. They didn't even notice that my warranty sticker was missing. Might as well go for it.

Does it take a long time for the UPS tracking number to update when they send the console back to you? I got a notice that my unit was fixed and being shipped back, but it's been 3 days and the tracking number still says "Billing Information Received" with no shipping updates.

[quote name='BigBen']Does it take a long time for the UPS tracking number to update when they send the console back to you? I got a notice that my unit was fixed and being shipped back, but it's been 3 days and the tracking number still says "Billing Information Received" with no shipping updates.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you, they haven't updated and its been about 3-4 days. I know Texas got hit with some snow, not sure if they're having trouble or what.

I vaguely recall it not updating at all when I got my first repaired console back though. This was almost 2 years ago, so I'm not sure.

My mailman knocked at the door today as he does when he delivers big packages, and I got pretty excited. Turns out, he just wanted me to knock off all of the ice sickles on my front porch, so none came down and impaled him. :roll:

So my Xbox was made: 2006-09-24 RROD

Has there been anyone who got theres fixed that was past the 3 year warranty for free? Or do they make you pay for it...

Maybe there is hope.

[quote name='Yamato']I was in the same boat as you. I would keep getting something that wasn't covered under my warranty, and maybe 1/10 tries I would get the 3 red lights, or RROD.

I was worried that they would turn it on and see the one that WASN'T covered..but I guess they didn't.

You could always overheat your system to make it give you the 3 red lights, but I don't recommend that. You have nothing to lose, just request a repair and say that you have the E74. You can even do this on xbox.com if that would be easier.

Worst case scenario: They won't fix it for free because of the E73, and they send it back. You didn't lose any cash for shipping, just about a week of your 360 time.

I had no problems though when I sent mine in. I didn't even have the warranty sticker, plus it was obvious that it had been opened (you could see the little knife marks I made trying to undo the back pins). It is on its way back, repaired/replaced, free of charge.[/QUOTE]

did you enter anything else online? I think I saw a form where you could enter additional notes or whatever. I tried doing the fan trick a few times today but to no avail :bomb:. Since I have lots of work, I won't be able to try until the end of the week. I'll also wait till March to try to send my Elite in for repairs (Live subscription ends then).

[quote name='Gamer SDP']did you enter anything else online? I think I saw a form where you could enter additional notes or whatever. I tried doing the fan trick a few times today but to no avail :bomb:. Since I have lots of work, I won't be able to try until the end of the week. I'll also wait till March to try to send my Elite in for repairs (Live subscription ends then).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, on the additional notes I just said that I would get the 3 red lights most of the time, and when it did start up, it would lockup/freeze within a minute. Had no problems getting it repaired.

[quote name='Lice']So my Xbox was made: 2006-09-24 RROD

Has there been anyone who got theres fixed that was past the 3 year warranty for free? Or do they make you pay for it...

Maybe there is hope.[/QUOTE]

I momentary read that as LAST year...thank goodness I read wrong! I don't want Jasper's dropping dead at all, let alone after 6 months :D

My Elite (just under 3 years old) just got RROD, my first. I had a launch 360 but I gave that away when I got my Elite. MS is fixing it under warranty but did not offer to send a coffin. Any tricks for getting them to replace it with a new one instead of a refurb?

[quote name='Yamato']I'm in the same boat as you, they haven't updated and its been about 3-4 days. I know Texas got hit with some snow, not sure if they're having trouble or what.

I vaguely recall it not updating at all when I got my first repaired console back though. This was almost 2 years ago, so I'm not sure.

My mailman knocked at the door today as he does when he delivers big packages, and I got pretty excited. Turns out, he just wanted me to knock off all of the ice sickles on my front porch, so none came down and impaled him. :roll:[/QUOTE]

My tracking number finally updated, but the news was not good. Supposedly my unit was repaired on 2/11, but tracking number is now showing that it didn't ship out from TX until 2/15. I should have it back on the 18th.

[quote name='BigBen']My tracking number finally updated, but the news was not good. Supposedly my unit was repaired on 2/11, but tracking number is now showing that it didn't ship out from TX until 2/15. I should have it back on the 18th.[/QUOTE]

Yep, same news here. Just now had the origin scan in TX.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

@ James in VA - For now its all about luck, you could get a refurb OR a new console. And you should have specifically asked for a coffin, if you didn't.

Ugh. It's been a week since I requested a repair, and no label has arrived yet.

If it doesn't come by like tommorow, do I just print out my own label then? Or will complaining to MS that I haven't gotten my label yet do anything?

I too have questions about a 'coffin' and shipping label. I plan to have my elite sent it by the end of the month so I'd like to get everything ready. I have a big Amazon box but the elite would still move around.

Just to make sure I understand...

If you send your 360 in for repairs, the 3 year warranty continues on the refurb you get back (despite the date on the unit) and they only add an additional 90 days to that, correct?

[quote name='seanr1221']Just to make sure I understand...

If you send your 360 in for repairs, the 3 year warranty continues on the refurb you get back (despite the date on the unit) and they only add an additional 90 days to that, correct?[/QUOTE]

It's the remainder of the three years on the original console or 90 days, whichever is longer. The 90 days isn't added to the warranty period. You can read the policy here.

Gotcha. I'm almost positive I got the original unit in the summer of 2007.

It red ringed April 2008, and I got this refurb unit.

Now the refurb unit red ringed and it's saying out of warranty on xbox.com.

Guess it's time to dispute, but I have no idea where my original receipt is.

Finally got my label. Now I just need to find a box and packing material. Took long enough.

I just pack up my box, seal it, slap the label on and drop it off at the UPS Store?

Anyone know how the repair process works for import 360s? How do you prove you're within warranty? Also, I'm assuming that you're just SOL when it comes to used 360s?

bread's done
Back