Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='oasisboy']Because they already got a $16.4 million civil fine from the USA government

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704671904575193833913824008.html

and because they have a lawsuit that could reach $3 billion.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/class_action_lawsuit_could_cost_9IsQDy4gRE2IcWOTwuxf6I

Do you think they want to keep acting as before?[/QUOTE]

Of course they want to keep acting as before. The problem is that they can't. I require proof of Toyota adequately fixing the problem before I believe the word of known liars. This is very plain and simple.

Look at the failure rate of the early 360's. How long to MS take to actually admit the vast amount of hardware failures? Wasn't it just semi-recently when they started to give three year warranties for RRoD. Of course, the Jaspers are better. The Jaspers being better can be considered as proof that MS has wised up and released a better product that fails less often.

[quote name='eau']Since M$ is adopting piano black as the official color for their slim now, does it mean they will re-release their current accessories in black color? Say, Keypad and quick battery charger have always come in white so far.[/QUOTE]
One of the pictures on the side of the box displayed accessories that were only available in white previously, now in black. In the picture was a wired headset, wireless headset, and chat pad.

[quote name='MikeBastard']Of course they want to keep acting as before. The problem is that they can't. I require proof of Toyota adequately fixing the problem before I believe the word of known liars. This is very plain and simple.

Look at the failure rate of the early 360's. How long to MS take to actually admit the vast amount of hardware failures? Wasn't it just semi-recently when they started to give three year warranties for RRoD. Of course, the Jaspers are better. The Jaspers being better can be considered as proof that MS has wised up and released a better product that fails less often.[/QUOTE]

Why would Toyota like to continue acting as before? Do you think they want this shitty reputation for safety? No, they want to keep selling cars so they have to address the issues.

Yes, it took Microsoft for ever to deal with the matter of RROD but at least they extended the warranty to 3 years. No company wants to "keep it as it is" because people would eventually stop buying their products or sue the shit out of them.

I want one of these but my arcade mated to a 120gb drive is going strong for 2 years. My original pro system with a 20gb just did something odd- RROD without the D part... console still works but I got a nice 3 red lights flashing on it (and it RROD'ed 3 years ago, and had a disc drive problem sometime afterwards). I'm tempted to get an arcade (bundled with a few games for $150 would be nice) but I really think I want 1 of these as well/instead.

Sucks about the fact that memory units won't work with this; a USB adapter would be nice.

[quote name='Lordgestle']One of the pictures on the side of the box displayed accessories that were only available in white previously, now in black. In the picture was a wired headset, wireless headset, and chat pad.[/QUOTE]

Hmm im pretty sure a black wired headset came with my elite I got last year, its put up somewhere but I thought it was black....

God, I can't imagine the flood of current 360s that are gonna be traded in everywhere as people go crazy for new hardware. However, that may be a blessing to those of you who want to pick up a backup system on the cheap. I've got a 120 with plenty of space left, so I can't see a need to buy this personally until Kinect comes out (because of the proprietary plug). Or until my 360 dies. Which could be, say, any moment now. :lol:

[quote name='unopepito06']God, I can't imagine the flood of current 360s that are gonna be traded in everywhere as people go crazy for new hardware. However, that may be a blessing to those of you who want to pick up a backup system on the cheap. I've got a 120 with plenty of space left, so I can't see a need to buy this personally until Kinect comes out (because of the proprietary plug). Or until my 360 dies. Which could be, say, any moment now. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I would never ever ever buy a 360 that was traded into gamestop. They'll take anything.

But what's good is that most retailers will/have drop the arcade to $150 and maybe they'll have a clearance bundle to sweeten the deal.

If you're looking for a new arcade, now is the time to buy.

[quote name='confoosious']I would never ever ever buy a 360 that was traded into gamestop. They'll take anything.

But what's good is that most retailers will/have drop the arcade to $150 and maybe they'll have a clearance bundle to sweeten the deal.

If you're looking for a new arcade, now is the time to buy.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to see what kind of deals come around for black Friday since I'm in no hurry. $150 is pretty good, but still not as good as the $200 with $100 gift card I believe Walmart and Amazon were doing a while back.

You're right about buying a used console from Gamestop. I'd much rather pay more money and get something new with a warranty rather than something that will crap out on you within a few months.

[quote name='fatez']maybe i missed it somewhere in the post... is the new hdd detachable?[/QUOTE]

from gs

Xbox 360 250GB Console includes:
  • Xbox 360 250GB S Console
  • Xbox 360 250GB S Removable Hard Drive
  • Xbox 360 Black Wireless Controller
  • Xbox 360 Black Headset
  • Xbox 360 Composite A/V cable (standard definition)
  • One Month Xbox LIVE Gold Membership
  • 1 year limited console warranty

Part of me feels dumb for buying a 360 last week...
but since it was a splinter cell bundle for $325 I can't be too upset. Still got a 250GB HD, 2 controllers and a game for just a little more than what this shiny one will cost solo.

[quote name='fatez']maybe i missed it somewhere in the post... is the new hdd detachable?[/QUOTE]

I think it is, iirc I saw a picture that shows the HDD with a little band pull thing that lets you pull it out and tells you how big the HDD is.

Tempted to buy one as I need to pick up a wireless adapter for college anyways, but I can wait till Black Friday and fight the mobs for a better bundle.

[quote name='Unaki']I would trade my console for a new one honestly.[/QUOTE]

I already did :twisted: No more RROD and $105? Sold!

So I figured it my 360 and the games I was planning on trading in anyways at Gazelle.com, and it comes to about $230, plus .5% extra if you get it on a Amazon gift card, plus the $20 credit I already have from SMG2.

So, about $40 for the Slim. Extremely tempting!

[quote name='confoosious']I would never ever ever buy a 360 that was traded into gamestop. They'll take anything.[/QUOTE]

QFT. When I traded in my 360 just a little bit ago, I traded in my d-pad modded controller. They called me out on it, but I told them "dude, I bought it from a Gamestop like that." They took it :twisted:

Actually, I'm sad to see it go. Even though it was fugly, it really worked well. At least I can mod myself another one in the future.

hey does anyone know how this new HDD works. will we be able to transfer data from the old hard drive to new or will i have to transfer my saves and download the games over again. looks nice since i was gonna upgrade my current hard drive to 250 but now i might just upgrade the enitre 360.

I kind of feel ripped off, only having my Xbox 360 elite 120GB for less than 6 months, to see a better version already. I feel bad for those who bought one a week ago or less.

I really hope this new console means a price drop on accessories made for the fat Xbox 360 like the wireless N adapter and the 120GB harddrive.

Also, does this mean the fat Xbox 360 is going to be phased out of production, replaced by the slim model?

^
yes they announced they are only producing the new model. in one SKU Forgot bundles. Article below mentions Arcade being refreshed.

Last edited by a moderator:
^If the gamespot link is accurate, then that means we might not see a price drop on the wireless N adapter since the Arcade slim model will need it. :(

I wonder when the 250 GB HDD they just released will start going on clearance? I'm going to hold off getting a new 360 until at least 2011 when the warranty on my current one expires.

Man, I have roughly $140 in Walmart credit right now. That would be nice if they had a good deal on the current Arcade so I could get it for around $100. If they keep the current Arcade Bundle + 50 egiftcard but with the dropped price, I would bite on a secondary console most likely.

I have no use for the new slim model. My current Elite is working well *knock on wood* though this is my 3rd 360... haha

It looks cool but not worth the amount of money it would cost to upgrade.

[quote name='seanr1221']So wait, the old transfer cable will work?[/QUOTE]

That's my understanding.... Glad I kept it after transfering my 20 gig to a 120 gig hard drive.....

Someone needs to post a youtube video showing how loud this system is compared to the original system when it comes out.

I may have missed this but are the older hard drives incompatible with the new slims? From what I read here, are they more like PS3 hard drives now?

"Using a USB Storage Device
If you only need to move a small amount of content (such as a gamertag or a saved game), you can use a USB storage device to move the content to your new console. You can find information about using a USB storage device at www.xbox.com/storage.

Note: The Xbox 360 console can copy a maximum of 16 gigabytes (GB) to a USB storage device. If you need to transfer more than 16 GB of content, you should use the Hard Drive Transfer Kit."

I only have a 20gb hard drive and most of that is filled with two game installs. I'll just use a usb drive and transfer that way then reinstall the games

[quote name='heratio']Someone needs to post a youtube video showing how loud this system is compared to the original system when it comes out.

I may have missed this but are the older hard drives incompatible with the new slims? From what I read here, are they more like PS3 hard drives now?[/QUOTE]

no, older hard drives will not work. they completely changed how the hard drives are from the current "phat" models

external power supply makes the console "look" lighter, sleeker, and MS has more parts to sell you should you need replacement. Besides, if they had an internal power supply, the console would have even more overheating problems.

did they address the disc scratching problem?

Wait. What? No Blu-ray drive? I mean, if MS is going for the whole "Your Xbox 360 is a one-stop living room entertainment device" they really dropped the ball there.

At the $299 price point, I'd wager for the vast majority of 360 owners, there's really no incentive to side-grade from an existing 360.

Pity.

Technical question, but could I transfer a xbox live account (gold or silver) from a original to a slim without recovering the account over xbox live (being disconnected from the internet)? I think for original xbox to original, you could transfer accounts with a memory unit?

Edit: looks like kidincredible answered my question, thanks

[quote name='100xp']external power supply makes the console "look" lighter, sleeker, and MS has more parts to sell you should you need replacement. Besides, if they had an internal power supply, the console would have even more overheating problems.

did they address the disc scratching problem?[/QUOTE]

250gb install the game no more scratches no spinning

It doesn't really look different (i.e. better) than the old one. The inclusion of the wireless N card is a pretty good value but only because microsoft overcharges for it in the first place. I'm not sure how they plan on competing with the ps3 at that price point. For the meantime, I'm content with my perpetually full 20 gb hdd and linksys refurbished wireless N bridge.

Thanks Joystiq

hdd-360-1.jpg

A question you may be asking yourself: If I upgrade to an Xbox Slimhttp://joystiq.com/tag/Xbox-360-Slim, how do I transfer the data on my current Xbox to the new one? It was revealed to us at Microsoft's Xbox Slim's unwrapping event that the new console will support the current data transfer cable (originally made for the Xbox 360 Elite). We also learned that the cables will be available at retail for $19.99 -- a very good thing considering how hard the cables are to find these days. The cables should be available when the new consoles hit the shelves (which should be any day now).

The transfer process is easy enough: Attach the cable to your old hard drive and connect the other end into the USB slot of the 360 Slim. No additional software is required to initiate the transfer process.

If you prefer more cumbersome data transfer methods, of course, you could always move data 8GB at a time with flash drives. If that's still too convenient, you can redownload each and every piece of content from Xbox Live.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/xbox-360-slim-hdd-data-transfer-cable-to-retail-for-19-99/

I got all excited thinking about the trade in possibilties for my launch console w/ my western digital 500 gig hdd

but then i looked at it and remembered i painted it chrome blue, added led strips, the whisper fan.. the window on the side..

guess no new box for me. don't see the point to fix what's not broken per se, especially for that hefty sum

it doesn't really look that much slimmer either..it looks smaller, but not slimmer

bread's done
Back