Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
Oddly looks very inspired by the original PS3 model with touch buttons, shiny black finish, and chrome. I'm actually shocked it isn't a slot loading disc drive. Even the Wii has a slot loading disc drive.

Just bought the elite like 8 months ago so I'll wait till the holidays when the bundle comes out to get this one, it sure looks good but will wait (hopefully)

Back on amazon.

I want to wait for the bundle with kinect (so I can sell that garbage to make some of the money back) but having a 20gb hard drive on my current 360 sucks.

[quote name='Smashingblue']They better make an exception for me, as I've already sold my system. I have three accounts to do as well, so not looking to arguing on the phone tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I thought if you are online it doesn't matter. Having the licenses is only really important for offline.

Remember that not everyone can be online at all times... I need to be able to transfer, otherwise my 700 RB songs won't be playable when I go over to my buddy's house. (He has no net)

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/gamestop-listing-suggests-150-price-for-kinect/

The Kinect price has remained elusive, even after Microsoft's E3 keynote, but a new GameStop listing predicts a MSRP of $150 for the product itself -- $299 when included with an Arcade console and $399 with an Elite console. Even Kinect Adventures! and Kinect Sports are priced on the retailer's site: $60 each. It's as if a million gamers cringed and were suddenly disinterested.

It's hardly confirmation of Microsoft's intended price point for the device, but the $150 price point (along with the proposed bundle packages) corroborates a rumor we reported on late last month. We've got troops on the ground at Microsoft's post-keynote session and will try to find out what we can. We'll keep you posted.

Update: Microsoft has told us at the Xbox 360 roundtable this afternoon that they don't plan to announce a Kinect price officially this week at E3.

Does anyone think the current Elite and Arcade models will even be around by then? And $60 for the Kinect games? Seriously?

[quote name='lllGurulll']http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/gamestop-listing-suggests-150-price-for-kinect/

The Kinect price has remained elusive, even after Microsoft's E3 keynote, but a new GameStop listing predicts a MSRP of $150 for the product itself -- $299 when included with an Arcade console and $399 with an Elite console. Even Kinect Adventures! and Kinect Sports are priced on the retailer's site: $60 each. It's as if a million gamers cringed and were suddenly disinterested.

It's hardly confirmation of Microsoft's intended price point for the device, but the $150 price point (along with the proposed bundle packages) corroborates a rumor we reported on late last month. We've got troops on the ground at Microsoft's post-keynote session and will try to find out what we can. We'll keep you posted.

Update: Microsoft has told us at the Xbox 360 roundtable this afternoon that they don't plan to announce a Kinect price officially this week at E3.

Does anyone think the current Elite and Arcade models will even be around by then? And $60 for the Kinect games? Seriously?[/QUOTE]

Microsoft has already annouced that Kinect games won't be more than $40.

[quote name='Toohumanlive']Microsoft has already annouced that Kinect games won't be more than $40.[/QUOTE]
Got a link to it. I haven't seen that anywhere yet. Not saying you are wrong though.

Still, if the hardware is really $150 I hope it fails miserably.

[quote name='Toohumanlive']Microsoft has already annouced that Kinect games won't be more than $40.[/QUOTE]
You'll have to show some proof because I have never heard that. They are going to milk this BS for all its worth.

The Wi-fi is neat, but sort of irrelevant to me as I, as I'm sure many others did, just made a client bridge with an old router because I refused to pay $90 for an adapter. That leaves the big hard drive. I'm one of the losers who bought a 20GB Pro a few months before it was killed off, so I'd like something bigger. I just don't need to spend $300 for it. Good luck to those who go hunting for it.

Went with a Gamestop online pre-order for the slim since I had $291 in total credit after trading in a non HDMI '07 model 20GB 360 today that was on life support. With tax its gonna cost $35ish out of pocket (got free shipping using the saver coupon). I wanted to pick one up in store but the GS employees had no idea when they would come in and weren't taking pre-orders at the time. I got a feeling people are going to be gobbling these new 360s up when they start showing up in stores (With most probably ending up on ebay). I'm just glad I didn't pick up one of those Spring bundles last month like I was planning to do.

[quote name='genfuyung']You'll have to show some proof because I have never heard that. They are going to milk this BS for all its worth.[/QUOTE]
Hell, even $40 is too much for the games we saw in their demo.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Hell, even $40 is too much for the games we saw in their demo.[/QUOTE]

40 dollars? i wouldnt even pay 400 MS points

[quote name='Grizzly Taint']Went with a Gamestop online pre-order for the slim since I had $291 in total credit after trading in a non HDMI '07 model 20GB 360 today that was on life support...[/QUOTE]

How much credit did you get for the box?

This is Microsoft we're talking about here. They are infamous for selling proprietary accessories for 3-4 times as much as it's worth: HDDs, wireless routers, etc, etc.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Hell, even $40 is too much for the games we saw in their demo.[/QUOTE]
I cant even see a reason to waste time pressing most of those games to a disc. I guess the sports and work out game would be too big to download but that river rafting junk looks like an old xbla game. Totemball anyone? I am seriously worried as to the future of gaming and I know tomorrow all we are going to hear from Nintendo is 3D bs and more vitality garbage and then Sony will try to shove more motion control and 3d games down our throat.

How about just putting out a quality game without the gimmicks? Crazy concept.

[quote name='CyberTrick']How much credit did you get for the box?[/QUOTE]

$105 total ($80 base value + $25 hardware trade in bonus), kept the 20 GB harddrive around until I can do a content transfer. I'd expect the 80 base value to drop by the 15th or soon after to correspond with the reduced MSRP price of the old units.

[quote name='Grizzly Taint']$105 total ($80 base value + $25 hardware trade in bonus), kept the 20 GB harddrive around until I can do a content transfer. I'd expect the 80 base value to drop by the 15th or soon after to correspond with the reduced MSRP price of the old units.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop drops the prices of the Xbox Originals today, so I'm really hoping the trade-in values don't drop this soon as well.

Is anyone else thinking about trying to find this at BB since if you are a gamer's club member you'll get $25 back from reward zone? ($10x2 for GC and $5 from regular RZ)

Please don't kill me for asking this for the 2nd time, didn't get any replies the 1st.

Will Natal/Kinect be 1:1 motion tracking?
or will there be a lag?

[quote name='MICHGoBlue']Please don't kill me for asking this for the 2nd time, didn't get any replies the 1st.

Will Natal/Kinect be 1:1 motion tracking?
or will there be a lag?[/QUOTE]
There is definitely a slight lag. When they would jump the screen would show it a split second later. Very obvious though.

[quote name='lllGurulll']There is definitely a slight lag. When they would jump the screen would show it a split second later. Very obvious though.[/QUOTE]

Oh...

[quote name='lllGurulll']There is definitely a slight lag. When they would jump the screen would show it a split second later. Very obvious though.[/QUOTE]

That might be due to the projector.

[quote name='lllGurulll']BAsed on what I saw, it is still less obvious than the Wii.[/QUOTE]

At least the technology is improving I guess.

But I, for one, think anything motion control is pointless unless it's 1:1 or if you're a casual gamer.

Thanks Guru for the info!

Or...

[quote name='seanr1221']That might be due to the projector.[/QUOTE]

Not to go too off topic here, but awhile back my friends and I won this Rock Band competition where we got to play RB on stage at a concert. They informed us to not pay attention to any projected picture, because it lags from what's really happening, and they set up a small LCD in front of us.

I'd guess the lag would be less noticable in your home since it's not going from a TV/360 setup to a projector to a internet/TV broadcast. That's a lot of extra hoops to go through for the picture than you would normally have in a real life setup.

[quote name='seanr1221']That might be due to the projector.[/QUOTE]
Normally I would agree with that but they were showing the guys jumping and the screen reacting all on the same screen. If you go back and watch the part where the two guys are jumping side to side and up and down trying to hit all the blocks it was pretty obvious. At least to me. Like I said, it was still more reactive than the Wii.

[quote name='seanr1221']It's my understanding that the picture of the game they broadcasted is still from the projector, but I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]
It was from the projector. But the projector had the humans and the xbox screen all on it together. It was a camera behind the guys playing the game on a large screen in front of them. You could definitely tell the game was just a little bit behind their moves.

It doesn't matter though. I don't think they will every truly achieve pure 1:1 on any console.

Just did a little research, turns out Move is 1:1, but not that cool of concept, and not aesthetically appealing. I am impressed by the accuracy.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1096921p1.html
I suppose sports games will be cool with the Move, but not ground breaking like the Kinect would have been with 1:1 motion.
It's obvious now that 1:1 is possible, but Kinect isn't...
Lemme guess, would rushing to the market in time for the holidays and/or cost be the reason?

If it hasn't been mentioned, Target has up on their website now the 360 arcade with a $30 giftcard for $149. I can't link because of Target's weird website setup, but you can visit yourself.

unless you are forced to buy one for the hard drive space or because of rrod, all you people who feel the need to buy this need to chill down. the difference between blu ray and dvd has recently started to get bigger, and in 2 years time i expect we will hear about the next xbox.

FYI, the super elites(Conviction & FFXIII) at BB have dropped to $350. Still not that good of a deal if you want the slim, but it does include a game and extra cotroller.

I think if GameStop does some sort of deal with trading in an Xbox 360 it will force my hand on this new elite. I just love new stuff.

[quote name='cheaphuck']I hate shiny consoles but my MW2 LE is going on Ebay.[/QUOTE]
Yep I'm on the same boat.

[quote name='dabamus']Is anyone else thinking about trying to find this at BB since if you are a gamer's club member you'll get $25 back from reward zone? ($10x2 for GC and $5 from regular RZ)[/QUOTE]

Video Game hardware purchases do not count toward the Gamer's Club bonus points.

[quote name='Smashingblue']They better make an exception for me, as I've already sold my system. I have three accounts to do as well, so not looking to arguing on the phone tomorrow.[/QUOTE]They won't do it.

The only "exception" to the one a year rule is if they fail to do the transfer when replacing your console in the repair process. If you just jump to a new system by purchasing it, they won't do it.

[quote name='hyunkim']unless you are forced to buy one for the hard drive space or because of rrod, all you people who feel the need to buy this need to chill down. the difference between blu ray and dvd has recently started to get bigger, and in 2 years time i expect we will hear about the next xbox.[/QUOTE]

LMAO. Not everyone cares about Bluray.
Although I have gotten some Blurays from Amazon for almost free, I don't care about bluray. When the PS3 hits 199.99 or less I'll have a bluray. Streaming Netflix has eliminated my need for DVDs or Blurays. Yes bluray is better quality but why by all these disc when I can watch most of the movies anytime I want on netflix?

Get the new xbox if you want one, if you don't then don't. If you need a bluray go to the target clearence. I saw a stack of bluray players that are now $102, that have been collecting dust for a month or more.

[quote name='manicbomber']I think if GameStop does some sort of deal with trading in an Xbox 360 it will force my hand on this new elite. I just love new stuff.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering how quick GS will lower the TIV on the old xbox

I wonder how Gamestop's trade in promotion will work as you will need your hard drive to trade in w/ the console. I'm glad i kept the original 20gb HD when I updated so i could trade in my 360 w/ old hard drive and keep new hard drive, transfer data, then sell hard drive.

[quote name='Brian9824']I wonder how Gamestop's trade in promotion will work as you will need your hard drive to trade in w/ the console. I'm glad i kept the original 20gb HD when I updated so i could trade in my 360 w/ old hard drive and keep new hard drive, transfer data, then sell hard drive.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

Maybe the east coast CAGs can help us out on some info when the stores start to open up.

[quote name='aceofspudz']Went to my local target this morning and was categorically refused the 150 price point by 4 separate people.[/QUOTE]

It's not active until they update their prices. They havent even recieved the new units yet.

[quote name='CyberTrick']How much credit did you get for the box?[/QUOTE]

Last night I called: $30 for a 120GB drive. $80 for a 360 with a controller and all accessories.

IMHO, they aren't going to offer much if any trade-in "deals" on top of that. There's no reason to. These boards alone show that there's plenty of people willing to trade their RRoD "potential" 360 systems for a new shiny 360 slim. They'll make money either way.

bread's done
Back