Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be somewhat surprised to see Microsoft let there be too much of a supply shortage. They have got to be trying to move these as fast as possible before the hype dies down, which will probably happen sooner rather than later.

[quote name='Dro43X']I would be somewhat surprised to see Microsoft let there be too much of a supply shortage. They have got to be trying to move these as fast as possible before the hype dies down, which will probably happen sooner rather than later.[/QUOTE]

I agree, my hype was a lot less after I woke up today, but I'm still set on going through the hassle of selling my Elite, etc. I already have it up on eBay, and the auction ends on Friday... I have a transfer kit, but if I don't get that new one by the end of the weekend, and my Xbox and all the stuff sells...I don't know what to do.

[quote name='Neo']I agree, my hype was a lot less after I woke up today, but I'm still set on going through the hassle of selling my Elite, etc. I already have it up on eBay, and the auction ends on Friday... I have a transfer kit, but if I don't get that new one by the end of the weekend, and my Xbox and all the stuff sells...I don't know what to do.[/QUOTE]

Get a thumb drive and save your game saves and gamertag on to that....for DLC/xbox arcade stuff just redownload them on the slim when you get it.

[quote name='Neo']That costs money though, I'd rather not spend all that on a thumb drive.[/QUOTE]
Thumbdrives aren't that expensive these days.

What does a 360 console get you these days from Gamestop? I got the Arcade deal at Target and therefore want to get rid of my launch console that will probably crap out any day now...

If you buy them online you could probably find a good deal, but it's going to be like $40 in-store, which is all there is time for now.

[quote name='Neo']If you buy them online you could probably find a good deal, but it's going to be like $40 in-store, which is all there is time for now.[/QUOTE]
Order and 8gb one off Amazon w/2 day shipping for like $20. It's not like a thumb drive's only use is this one time data transfer.

I apologize if this has already been asked, but I am guessing a transfer cable that has already been used once still cannot be used more than once?

[quote name='Serious McMopy']I apologize if this has already been asked, but I am guessing a transfer cable that has already been used once still cannot be used more than once?[/QUOTE]

If you have the actual transfer cable (microsoft one), where one end plugs into hard drive, other plugs into usb, it can be used unlimited amount of times. You don't use the software though that is bundled with it when you got it, if you get the new slim, new software is pre built into it to transfer data.

Has anyone here taken advantage of the Target deal where the Xbox360 is $150 + $50GC?

I visited my local Target today however the Xbox360 was set at $199 with $50GC included.

[quote name='poker360']If you have the actual transfer cable (microsoft one), where one end plugs into hard drive, other plugs into usb, it can be used unlimited amount of times. You don't use the software though that is bundled with it when you got it, if you get the new slim, new software is pre built into it to transfer data.[/QUOTE]Really? I was under the impression it could only be used once?

[quote name='Chronotrigga']Has anyone here taken advantage of the Target deal where the Xbox360 is $150 + $50GC?

I visited my local Target today however the Xbox360 was set at $199 with $50GC included.[/QUOTE]

I bought one yesterday for 149.99 + tax and received a $50 GC. The signage in store still reflected $200 with a $30 GC at the time of purchase, but rang up correctly

Oh cool, I didn't know Gamestop sold those!

So what exactly does it do for you? I mean if I get a 16GB memory stick and copy everything on to that, is there any reason I really need a transfer cable?

Has anyone had their Amazon order enter "shipping soon" or, better yet, actually ship out?

I ordered my system on Monday, with a delivery date of 6/17, and it hasn't flipped to "shipping soon" yet. I am beginning to think my order won't actually arrive tomorrow.

im just curious as to why GS isnt getting a bigger shipment. i am probably gonna have to get in on the 2nd shipment whenever that is

[quote name='W0lfRHart']im just curious as to why GS isnt getting a bigger shipment. i am probably gonna have to get in on the 2nd shipment whenever that is[/QUOTE]

Gamestop has >4500 stores. If they send 10 to each on average, that's 45k units at launch. considering they also have to supply walmart, target, etc, that's a pretty hefty shipment for day 1.

Wow, I didn't know they had that many stores! That's pretty awesome. I guess I've got at least 5ish around here? And more in the next area over? Nothing super close to me though.

[quote name='Serious McMopy']Really? I was under the impression it could only be used once?[/QUOTE]

There are are software conditions about the transfer (you can only transfer between equal or bigger drives, ect) but there is no physical aspect that limits its use beyond one time (like it melting mission impossible style). The transfer cable that came with a 120gb drive 2 years ago has been used at least 4 times by myself and other family members. It is more a "you only need this once (or every couple of years)" sort of thing vs a "it only works once".

Looking at the gamestop link, it looks exactly like the "old" transfer cable. It doesn't look like it comes with a software disk (the slim has the software built in), so that's why it may not work on transfers between old drives to other old drives....ie, that is the missiing software that prevents this, not some specific hardware issue with the cable. I imagine someone will piece this out sooner or later.

[quote name='realskillz']im surprised so many ppl are buying the slim at that price im going to wait until the holidays or when theres a price drop to pick one up.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft is going to release a $200 arcade version of the slim later this year. It remains to be seen what that model will feature. Right now they have to clear the channels of the old versions and are benefiting from people buying the $300 model at the slim's release.

[quote name='cromb24']Has anyone had their Amazon order enter "shipping soon" or, better yet, actually ship out?

I ordered my system on Monday, with a delivery date of 6/17, and it hasn't flipped to "shipping soon" yet. I am beginning to think my order won't actually arrive tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I'm live chatting with Amazon CS here is what i got:

I do see that it is planned to ship out today to be to you on-time tomorrow - let me just double-check on the availability here.

and this was the best conversation with an amazon rep they said..:

Everything on your order looks quite normal and good to go here - I was looking at the FFXIII elite package myself, but I guess now I'll have to take a look at this new one.11:02:00Amazon:Did you have any other questions or concerns for me at this time?

Yes it is shipping out today, and I know, I was just saying I was thinking about that bundle myself - I'm still a Sony fangirl at heart, you know.

haha sweet lol :cool:

This is such a clusterfuck.

Every Gamestop I call says something different, and the same Gamestop's that I called yesterday and saying different things today, if they say anything at all. Some are just saying, "We don't know."

I understand Microsoft wanted secrecy, but goddamn, give your retailers some kind of an idea here.

I seriously doubt my Gamestop.com order is going to ship today. So much for overnight shipping.

Blah.

So again, any reason to have a transfer cable if you get a 16GB memory stick? Anything it does for you that just copying files over manually doesn't do?

[quote name='Wolfpup']So again, any reason to have a transfer cable if you get a 16GB memory stick? Anything it does for you that just copying files over manually doesn't do?[/QUOTE]

The transfer cable does everything in one shot after a few button presses. Using a memory stick or USB just takes a lot more time. I am glad I got a free transfer cable way back when MS gave them for free. :D.

I hope my GS gets the slim in today. I am ready, willing, and able to pay for it right now :)

I'm seriously considering getting an Arcade for $125 and a 250gb HDD for $90. I was going to upgrade my computer, but I'd like to have a 360 to play with my brother and friends. Already have a PS3 and a Wii, and I'm just not sure... but that's sure a nice price.

[quote name='Wolfpup']So again, any reason to have a transfer cable if you get a 16GB memory stick? Anything it does for you that just copying files over manually doesn't do?[/QUOTE]

Transfer cable: Super easy, no work, does the job and it is over.

USB: Depending on number of saves you have, it takes a bit work to manually moving every save and file one file at a time to the USB.

Also, I haven't researched this, but a few weeks ago when I was backing up some game saves (hard drives do fail at some point) on a usb drive, I wasn't able to copy or even move my Mass Effect 2 game save to an USB drive. I don't know if this something new or some limit done by bioware....OK, I did a little looking around and it may be an issue regardless of what transfer method you use.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...usb&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

I'm begining to doubt Gamestop.com's supply of this console, and Amazon's for that matter. Mine still says verifying, granted it said it would take 24 hours to "process" but I really don't think I'm getting this on Friday anymore.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']The transfer cable does everything in one shot after a few button presses. Using a memory stick or USB just takes a lot more time. I am glad I got a free transfer cable way back when MS gave them for free. :D.

I hope my GS gets the slim in today. I am ready, willing, and able to pay for it right now :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='K_G']Transfer cable: Super easy, no work, does the job and it is over.

USB: Depending on number of saves you have, it takes a bit work to manually moving every save and file one file at a time to the USB.

Also, I haven't researched this, but a few weeks ago when I was backing up some game saves (hard drives do fail at some point) on a usb drive, I wasn't able to copy or even move my Mass Effect 2 game save to an USB drive. I don't know if this something new or some limit done by bioware....OK, I did a little looking around and it may be an issue regardless of what transfer method you use.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...usb&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a[/QUOTE]

WHAAAAAAT?!? That's a load of shit. So basically I'm playing Mass Effect 2 right now, but I'll never get to take this character with me to Mass Effect 3?!?

I should have just bought the PC version then.

You have to MOVE your Mass Effect 2 save to a USB drive, can't copy. I just moved my Mass Effect 2 file over last night and I loaded the game to make sure it still worked, loading off the USB drive. and it did.

So you can't use the Microsoft transfer kit to migrate your old harddrive info into the Slim harddrive, you have to use the memory stick?

[quote name='KidYungn']So you can't use the Microsoft transfer kit to migrate your old harddrive info into the Slim harddrive, you have to use the memory stick?[/QUOTE]

No, you can use the transfer kit. A newly purchased or an old one if you have it from the Elite migrations.

[quote name='DeskLaser']You have to MOVE your Mass Effect 2 save to a USB drive, can't copy. I just moved my Mass Effect 2 file over last night and I loaded the game to make sure it still worked, loading off the USB drive. and it did.[/QUOTE]

But will it work when loaded on a different Xbox 360? I would guess so, but who knows how Bioware's system works.

[quote name='DeskLaser']You have to MOVE your Mass Effect 2 save to a USB drive, can't copy. I just moved my Mass Effect 2 file over last night and I loaded the game to make sure it still worked, loading off the USB drive. and it did.[/QUOTE]

Oh cool! Thanks for the clarification. Well that's weird...not really okay, but okay. That would have really sucked had the saves been locked to the console like so much Wii stuff.

[quote name='Cindaddy']But will it work when loaded on a different Xbox 360? I would guess so, but who knows how Bioware's system works.[/QUOTE]

Ah good point. I *THINK* the Xbox has the fewest locked save files (then the Playstation, with the Wii having the most), but there are some. That would completely suck, and also negate what they're trying to do with it. Though their shit-tastic DRM and DLC they're smearing overwhere on their stuff is also doing that.

[quote name='tipio']I'm begining to doubt Gamestop.com's supply of this console, and Amazon's for that matter. Mine still says verifying, granted it said it would take 24 hours to "process" but I really don't think I'm getting this on Friday anymore.[/QUOTE]

Same. I still have a delivery date on the 18th but my console hasn't even gone to preparing to ship phase yet with two day shipping.

Might be old news in this thread, but I didn't see it in the OP:

IMG-1.jpg

This is for GameStop trades beginning tomorrow. How thorough do they tend to be at checking systems? I have a system that tends to freeze on boot that might be making its way there soon. . .

[quote name='slickkill77']Same. I still have a delivery date on the 18th but my console hasn't even gone to preparing to ship phase yet with two day shipping.[/QUOTE]

I e-mailed Amazon and they gave the cookie-cutter response of it being in on the 19th like the page now says and that most likely I will get it on the 22nd ( have Prime ). I hoped that I was lucky and would have it by the end of the week, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

[quote name='slickkill77']Same. I still have a delivery date on the 18th but my console hasn't even gone to preparing to ship phase yet with two day shipping.[/QUOTE]

My order is also stuck in the verifying phase. Its says on the site it shipsin 24 hrs bs i ordered Monday during the day.

Not bad.. if thats accurate. thanks a ton for the info.

[quote name='Jodou']Might be old news in this thread, but I didn't see it in the OP:

IMG-1.jpg

This is for GameStop trades beginning tomorrow. How thorough do they tend to be at checking systems? I have a system that tends to freeze on boot that might be making its way there soon. . .[/QUOTE]

[quote name='madgamez']My order is also stuck in the verifying phase. Its says on the site it shipsin 24 hrs bs i ordered Monday during the day.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost positive that "Usually Ships in 24 hours" didnt show up until yesterday. Either way, your right, it should have been shipped. But I'm guessing this is a good time for them to have always included the work "Usually" as in Usually, but not this time, Ships in 24 hours.

I'm guessing mine will be here next week. Which is fine, however, I've already contacted them about taxing my store credit, hopefully I can get refunded the 24 bucks for that. That would be a nice bonus for not having to worry about the local stores running out...

my store said there shipment hasn't shipped yet...i am going to trade in my launch 360, PSP 1000, an extra 360 controller, the wireless adapter, and a few PSP and 360 games....hopefully i can get the slim for around $50...

I just got back from gamestop. I am pretty tight with the head manager he told me they recieved an email this morning saying EVERY gamestop is getting JUST 4 in.. And that they will come in either tomorrow or friday.. They also got 12 phone calls when I was there asking about it.. Needless to say my cousin and I are camping out tonight for it :)

[quote name='jd10984']I just got back from gamestop. I am pretty tight with the head manager he told me they recieved an email this morning saying EVERY gamestop is getting JUST 4 in.. And that they will come in either tomorrow or friday.. They also got 12 phone calls when I was there asking about it.. Needless to say my cousin and I are camping out tonight for it :)[/QUOTE]

I hope the promo lasts until they get a decent shipment.

I am thinking of upgrading to the Slim. I'm curious how the wi-fi works. I've been using an ethernet cable to connect to Live. (alternating from my PC to the 360 to connect to the internet). Since this new system has built in wi-fi cababilities, what do I need to connect it to the internet? I'm guessing I would need to link my modem to a router and then the router would connect to the 360's built in wi-fi. Is that right? Sorry for these stupid questions. I don't really use wi-fi so I'm a little ignorant to how it works.

[quote name='BloodGodAlucard']I am thinking of upgrading to the Slim. I'm curious how the wi-fi works. I've been using an ethernet cable to connect to Live. (alternating from my PC to the 360 to connect to the internet). Since this new system has built in wi-fi cababilities, what do I need to connect it to the internet? I'm guessing I would need to link my modem to a router and then the router would connect to the 360's built in wi-fi. Is that right? Sorry for these stupid questions. I don't really use wi-fi so I'm a little ignorant to how it works.[/QUOTE]

If you're able to do that now, just buy a wired router and connect them both. Wired's much more reliable (and secure) than WiFi, doesn't cause interference, etc.

Even if you get a router with WiFi, don't use the WiFi if you can do it by Ethernet.

EDIT: And if you do use WiFi, you have to use WPA2 for it to be secure. There's folk tale methods of securing it that don't at all secure it, and WEP doesn't secure it either. WEP's just a suggestion at this point, like someone who's not trying to do anything illicit probably won't break it if it's on, but...

May not be important to most people but I'm just curious if they've finally fixed the ring of disc death when you bump the console?

Okay so I'll just get a wired router then. I was looking forward to not having to run wires across my room to connect to Live anymore though. Could you recommend a good router to use? What's the basic price point for a good one that I could also use to connect my PS3 and possibly a laptop later on? With all of that is it still better to go with a wired router? Or with so many components would wireless be easier and an overall "cleaner" option. (Cleaner as in not having a million wires everywhere). :)

bread's done
Back