Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd ordered my 360 off Amazon pretty much right after they went up for sale. With Prime two-day shipping it was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow the 18th. Then last night they emailed me saying it was delayed to arrive on the 23rd. I emailed them and they upped me to one-day shipping for free (saving me $4...woo). But I don't think there's much more to be wrestled out of Amazon on this.

[quote name='Sgt Barone']Got an Arcade for $49 at Best Buy after having $100 in gift cards![/QUOTE]

congrats. you paid the normal price.

Why do people feel the need to let people know they have giftcards?

So the Xbox Slim has wifi so I will be able to play xbox live anywhere in my house, right? And do you think if my router was upstairs, I would still have a good connection with no lag? I have a iphone and my wifi is amazing downstairs, 3gs at all times. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='FArgus']congrats. you paid the normal price.

Why do people feel the need to let people know they have giftcards?[/QUOTE]

Just to anger cranky people like you.

After emailing gamestop customer service looks like mine shipped yesterday and should be arriving tomorrow sometime although i am a little worried about the license transfer and my ME2 game save as some have stated. I beleive i cant transfer the licenses to my new xbox until august, damn.

[quote name='BrehdricTheEnt']So the Xbox Slim has wifi so I will be able to play xbox live anywhere in my house, right? And do you think if my router was upstairs, I would still have a good connection with no lag? I have a iphone and my wifi is amazing downstairs, 3gs at all times. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

^

has anyone who ordered from the gamestop website had theirs shipped yet? ordered mine last night and its still verifying, im just worried i might have not been early enough. i selected overnight shipping fyi.

[quote name='wilwrk4games']has anyone who ordered from the gamestop website had theirs shipped yet? ordered mine last night and its still verifying, im just worried i might have not been early enough. i selected overnight shipping fyi.[/QUOTE]

Mine's moved from verifying to pending...many have stated that theirs has shipped in pending status. I emailed gamestop to possibly get a more accurate update and am currently awaiting a reply.

[quote name='wilwrk4games']has anyone who ordered from the gamestop website had theirs shipped yet? ordered mine last night and its still verifying, im just worried i might have not been early enough. i selected overnight shipping fyi.[/QUOTE]

I ordered mine on Tuesday, Shipped on Wednesday, and is due to arrive on Friday (This is with the free shipping).

Now, Gamestop. If we could just get the transfer cable out of the pending stage...

Oh, and my xbox went from "Verifying" to "Shipped" in a matter of minutes. I was consistently checking the status of my order, and I never saw it in the "Pending" stage.

Ordered mine from gamestop Wednesday morning. Shipped Wednesday, arrives Friday. With free 3 day shipping. Still debating on keeping or selling for what I paid for (324 all in gamestop credit) and buying another arcade w the 50 gc @ Amazon. Good way to transfer credit to cash.

Well damn.... I ordered from GS yesterday afternoon. The rep I talked to on the phone about my tax credit back since I was paying with credit said it would ship today.... it apparently shipped last night at 6:00PM ish... It is going to be in my hands today!! :D

What is strange is that I got the ship confirmation email just a little bit ago. Way to go gamestop.com!!!

Called 4 local Gamestops in my location (West Lost Angeles) regarding the new model. 2 of them said to call back on Monday because they havnt received any information when there getting any. 1 said that they only got 4 and sold them all on Wednesday. And the last one wasnt even aware of a new 360 model..LMAO :applause:

I think i'll stay with my original plan of ordering from Amazon and avoid the madness of hunting for one at a Brick and Mortar.

Someone mentioned that it sounds like Microsoft dropped the bomb of this release on everyone, including Retailers, and i think that's indeed true!!!

[quote name='BGriffith']Mine's moved from verifying to pending...many have stated that theirs has shipped in pending status. I emailed gamestop to possibly get a more accurate update and am currently awaiting a reply.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wilwrk4games']thanks for the reply .. keep me updated if you can .[/QUOTE]

I just called them and the girl told me that it takes 24hrs to process, and that it should ship today and I should have it tomorrow. Guessing they still have them in stock then!

went to my local gamestop and they said that they are getting their shipment in tomorrow before store opening....i am going to try and be there around an hour early to get it...hopefully i'm lucky, they said that they were getting 10 in...

Just picked mine up at one of the Gamestops in the Newport Mall in Jersey City, NJ. One store had 2 left, the other had 3. They said each store got 6 units and they believe that most stores across the country were getting 6 each.

FYI, modders have started cracking these open and found that M$ has reverted back to the old X clamp on the chipset. Granted, the mobo should hold up this time, but I can't understand why they'd go back to architecture proven to fail. You early adopters might be screwing yourselves all over again. . .

Called all the stores near me that would carry them and pretty much everyone had no idea or said to come in early Friday. One Gamestop said they were taking names down and numbers to call to make sure people knew when they got them in stock and that I was number 6 and they are only getting 4 but people may not show up.

canceled amazon order, called gamestop. they had 6, and only 3 left when i had called. got ready almost instantly and drove there and picked one up! :D

it looks awesome btw, on dashboard i can't hear it from where i normally set, which means i shouldn't be able to hear it when i install games to HDD :D recovering gamertag then transferring hard drives and will test the disc drive.

also: traded in old 360, and i only 1 hdmi cable so he just took the s-video cables out of the new system which was pretty nice. Also he said as long as i keep the receipt, i have like a week to trade in the old hard drive after i transfer it.

[quote name='Jodou']FYI, modders have started cracking these open and found that M$ has reverted back to the old X clamp on the chipset. Granted, the mobo should hold up this time, but I can't understand why they'd go back to architecture proven to fail. You early adopters might be screwing yourselves all over again. . .[/QUOTE]The xclamp wasnt really the whole problem... it was too much heat and bad, cheap solder. The Jasper consoles very rarely break and they still have the xclamps so im not at all worried.

I just got mine from UPS via gamestop.com. looks great and is very quiet even when playing games.

[quote name='HydroX']Anyone in Oklahoma get a new 360 today?[/QUOTE]

Not yet HydroX, I am in OKC and still looking, will let you know if I find any thing out.

[quote name='redneckokie']Not yet HydroX, I am in OKC and still looking, will let you know if I find any thing out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm in Norman, will do the same for you.

FWIW the "$149.99 MSRP" Arcade is now ringing $130.00 at Target, and still with the $50.00 GC. No change on the Elite. Same price for bundle and non-bundle.

Just got an update if anyone else was using Best Buy.. release date changed from the 21st to the 18th and my order has change from Pre-Order to inProcess. I used their expidited shipping so hopefully I get it for the weekend... Monday at latest.

Just picked one up from GameStop. Looks like they were originally expecting them Friday, but they got an email telling them to expect them today, Thursday. Houston stores have them in.

[quote name='venkman781']Anyone in the Portland, OR area seen the Slim at Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

I called Sherwood. Both say tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='OregonDealz']I checked Tanasbourne and called Sherwood. Both say tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. Nice work. Any word on reserve lists?

[quote name='venkman781']Sweet. Nice work. Any word on reserve lists?[/QUOTE]

first come first serve tomorrow. I suspect it will be crazy there.

I might pop in around lunch, but my hopes are not high.

[quote name='venkman781']Sweet. Nice work. Any word on reserve lists?[/QUOTE]

Nobody around here was doing reserve lists or preorders. They just want you to hope for the best. One store I called told me, "We don't know when we're getting them, just keep calling every day. Probably want to call different times of day to be sure it hasn't come in."

wtf?

Glad I ordered mine on Tuesday from gs.com. Shipped and arriving tomorrow. :)

Thanks guys, I've been waiting to hear from someone that has gotten one, exactly how quiet they are. That's my biggest issue while watching Netflix and playing games.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Nobody around here was doing reserve lists or preorders. They just want you to hope for the best. One store I called told me, "We don't know when we're getting them, just keep calling every day. Probably want to call different times of day to be sure it hasn't come in."

wtf?

Glad I ordered mine on Tuesday from gs.com. Shipped and arriving tomorrow. :)[/QUOTE]

Well played. I just checked with GS down the road, same deal: "Probably not going to do them because we're getting them any day now."

I'm guaranteeing them a sale, but they didn't bite. I'd like to take advantage of the slim hardware TIV (since I stand to save $200 bucks), but I'm thinking they'll run out of units and may not get more stock before the deal ends.

i talked to a guy in walmart he said aybe next thursday but i got my copy at englewood nj. they still had 4 left after mine

[quote name='Lokki']Thanks guys, I've been waiting to hear from someone that has gotten one, exactly how quiet they are. That's my biggest issue while watching Netflix and playing games.[/QUOTE]

it's near silent while on dashboard, you can hear it not nearly as loud when spinning a disc as the other console...

one of my concerns: it gets VERY, VERY HOT on the side where the vent is.

[quote name='poker360']it's near silent while on dashboard, you can hear it not nearly as loud when spinning a disc as the other console...

one of my concerns: it gets VERY, VERY HOT on the side where the vent is.[/QUOTE]
The Wii gets hot when wiiconnect24 is on. How hot is it compared to that?

[quote name='lllGurulll']The Wii gets hot when wiiconnect24 is on. How hot is it compared to that?[/QUOTE]

i just compared, the 360 is quite a bit hotter. updated op about the heat issue i'm having.

[quote name='poker360']i just compared, the 360 is quite a bit hotter. updated op about the heat issue i'm having.[/QUOTE]

dumb q.... vertical or horizontal?

[quote name='Steggy']dumb q.... vertical or horizontal?[/QUOTE]

Vertical. The system is designed though so it should be the same either way. If it is horizontal, the heat comes out of the top, if it is vertical it comes out of the side.

[quote name='poker360']Vertical. The system is designed though so it should be the same either way. If it is horizontal, the heat comes out of the top, if it is vertical it comes out of the side.[/QUOTE]
Heat rises, so it'd probably make more sense to put it horizontal.

[quote name='SMITTYBLAZE']Heat rises, so it'd probably make more sense to put it horizontal.[/QUOTE]

beat me too it...

I wasnt planning on standing it vertical some reason I think vertical consoles look dumb. I dont even have my wii vertical.

Try horizontal and play for an hr and let us all know if temps seem bearable?

Just ordered mine off gamestop.com... well see how long that takes.

[quote name='SMITTYBLAZE']Heat rises, so it'd probably make more sense to put it horizontal.[/QUOTE]
There's vents on both sides, it appears. Vents would be on the top no matter if it was in the vertical or horizontal position.

Debating on trading my 360 for a slim, but then I will have no use for all my faceplates. Though I am really tempted since I am still using the original XBOX wireless adapter.

Still sucks to make this decision. I much rather wait for these issues to get fixed but then I'm gonna be fucked on getting it $135 cheaper with this trade in. There is no way I'll even get $100 for my 20gb console in a few weeks, let alone a few months.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']There's vents on both sides, it appears. Vents would be on the top no matter if it was in the vertical or horizontal position.[/QUOTE]

on mine, there's vents on the top side of the console, not the other.

going to turn on 360 for about 30 minutes horizontally and see if theres a differnece. will report back here!

bread's done
Back