Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
so i boot up my new xbox and while its recovering my gamertag the power suddenly goes off and my xbox doesnt turn back on. my power cord supply turns red :( i have to go back to gamestop tomorrow to get a new one

[quote name='DaDagger']so i boot up my new xbox and while its recovering my gamertag the power suddenly goes off and my xbox doesnt turn back on. my power cord supply turns red :( i have to go back to gamestop tomorrow to get a new one[/QUOTE]

The new slim?.....if so that sucks so hard.

[quote name='DaDagger']yupp i cant believe my luck[/QUOTE]

Thats horrible, not what you wanted. Does not make me feel confident about quality control:(

power cycle the slim - unplug the unit from the wall and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Plug it in and try to turn it on then. If it still doesn't work.. well, good luck, it's hard as hell to find one of the systems right now.

[quote name='poker360']I just started up mass effect 2 and loaded my previous save. I had already finished the game and did like a new game + i believe on the hardest difficulty, everything loaded with no problems.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for checking. I really appreciate the effort. I was trying to get my GPU dead 360 to show a picture so I could move my ME2 saves to a thumb drive. Now I don't have to worry about it.

[quote name='poker360']ah i didn't know that those were there, kinda weird that it doesn't get hot there.

i'm trying out mass effect 2 right now.[/QUOTE]The side holes are probably for air intake mainly... The top vent is directly above the CPU/GPU and fan so it is the main heat area. thats why its such a big vent and why it gets hot.

[quote name='shadowkast']Inside my disc tray of the arcade I bought is a perfect dark zero test disc. This is normal I assume?[/QUOTE]Never heard of that happening before... probably one in a million. If it lets you do special stuff its probably worth quite a bit to the right person.

[quote name='Scorch']power cycle the slim - unplug the unit from the wall and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Plug it in and try to turn it on then. If it still doesn't work.. well, good luck, it's hard as hell to find one of the systems right now.[/QUOTE]

yupp tried it worked for 2 mins and then powers off again. my adapter turns red again

[quote name='Chuplayer']It sounds like you hit the jackpot. Does it let you do anything unusual with the console?[/QUOTE]Dunno. It just boots up like a game. Haven't played with it anymore cause I figured it was just a demo disc or something. I do now have perfect dark 0/1000 under my acheivments though. The disc itself is white with black print, it says 'Perfect Dark Zero OBA Test NTSC.' 'copyright 2005' 'Confidential' and some random letters and numbers written in pen.

[quote name='shadowkast']Dunno. It just boots up like a game. Haven't played with it anymore cause I figured it was just a demo disc or something. I do now have perfect dark 0/1000 under my acheivments though. The disc itself is white with black print, it says 'Perfect Dark Zero OBA Test NTSC.' 'copyright 2005' 'Confidential' and some random letters and numbers written in pen.[/QUOTE]You should test it out more... I'm curious now lol

[quote name='jjjbadboy32']Anybody know where the digital optical audio out is located on this new model? I can't stand how it is on the fat 360's with hdmi.[/QUOTE]It is on the back of the console to the left of the AV/HDMI ports.

[quote name='DJP519']You're moving your console with a disc spinning? That's called USER ERROR.[/QUOTE]

If you walk too hard or throw a dog toy around your X360 (not at your X360), it can ruin your disc. Happened to me.

so, i dont see the older data transfer kits on gamestops website. is this something they would likely have in store?

-or someone want to sell me theirs for a few bucks? PM me if interested

Just left this on for 2 hours while watching the NBA Finals (I had 1173 items to transfer). Don't ask. ;)

Came back and it really wasnt that hot (I had it sitting horizontally). Not any hotter than a laptop gets. It really is damn quiet in both the dashboard and while playing a game. The only problem I have with it is the fact that it is a damn dust & fingerprint magnet. :bomb: Not too big of a deal there though :D

Just came back from my local Best Buys (Yonkers, NY & Hartsdale, NY). Seems that both stores are expecting their shipments next week at the earliest. I'm not sure if this is true for other BB stores however.

Just got home from GS with the new 360.
Console looks a lot cooler in person. I still would prefer if it was just squared off instead of the crazy angles. It definitely is smaller and quieter although I have not played a game yet.
The thing I would mention is have you hdmi cable ready. I thought I would get hdmi when I had the time. I was expecting quality component cables like my first 360 had. The standard av cables are probably the cheapest I've seen. The text is unreadable this way. On my way to target to get hdmi because I don't feel like waiting for monopriced to ship out.

Sorry about previously stating that after the transfer, it DOES NOT STAY ON BOTH DRIVES. What didn't transfer was the installed xbox 360 games, which is what i thought why it kept on both drives.

[quote name='poker360']Sorry about previously stating that after the transfer, it DOES NOT STAY ON BOTH DRIVES. What didn't transfer was the installed xbox 360 games, which is what i thought why it kept on both drives.[/QUOTE]

I did some "moving" off of mine and my girlfriends HDDs to a memory unit, and my profile stuff transferred over while hers did not. Now we can't figure out what email and password combo was used to recover her gamertag. lol

[quote name='poker360']Sorry about previously stating that after the transfer, it DOES NOT STAY ON BOTH DRIVES. What didn't transfer was the installed xbox 360 games, which is what i thought why it kept on both drives.[/QUOTE]
Yeah when you do the transfer from one drive to the other it deletes everything on the original drive and puts it on the first new one. The installed 360 games have to be re-downloaded because they weren't authorized on that 360.

Just picked up mine at Gamestop in Sherwood, OR. With $129.50 in hardware TIV I got mine for $169.50. Store got 8 of them via UPS about 10 minutes after I got there. 6 of them were sold, including mine, by the time I left.

Sadly, back at work now and will have to wait to set it up later.

[quote name='venkman781']Just picked up mine at Gamestop in Sherwood, OR. With $129.50 in hardware TIV I got mine for $169.50. Store got 8 of them via UPS about 10 minutes after I got there. 6 of them were sold, including mine, by the time I left.

Sadly, back at work now and will have to wait to set it up later.[/QUOTE]
I'm in the same situation here in San Diego, CA. The GS I went to only received 6 and I think only a couple were left by the time I picked mine up at 11am.

I bought a Splinter Cell bundle last week from Best Buy. Took it back today and exchanged it for a slim. :) They still had plenty when I left.

[quote name='poker360']shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the review. Have you had any problems with your discs? On youtube, a user showed that if you accidentally move it, the new 360 will scratch the disc and destroy it.

[quote name='jiggyteddy']Just a general question for the 360 owners here... why do some owners have multiple systems?

I don't have a system, so why the need for multiples? Is there something I'm missing with the 360? I'm really not trying to go into the whole hardware reliability issue, but some of you guys make it sound like you have multiple working systems... so why is that? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

That's what I like to know as well. In the first couple pages of this thread, there were a few users who seemed to be really happy with 3-4 Xboxes... wouldn't that mean you wasted almost over $1000? Think of all the games you could buy with that.. or college books or pay house bills.

[quote name='DualFPS']That's what I like to know as well. In the first couple pages of this thread, there were a few users who seemed to be really happy with 3-4 Xboxes... wouldn't that mean you wasted almost over $1000? Think of all the games you could buy with that.. or college books or pay house bills.[/QUOTE]
You can use it as a media center so people like to have one for each TV (play DVDs or stream movies from computer or use it for Netflix or use it to play downloaded AVI files from a flash drive)

If there are kids in the house then they wont be fighting too much if theres more than 1 console

Some people have a console or 2 that got banned so they can use these to mod and play online again (banned consoles can only be used offline)

For $80-$100 its very cheap so might as well lol (costs less than buying 2 new games)

Does the new 360 come with any arcade games loaded on it already? While transferring, it said A Kingdom for Keflings was already on the system...

[quote name='kataztrophik']Am I the only one confused how on a site named CHEAPassgamer, so many people are clamoring to buy something at full retail value? I'll wait until the Slim drops down in price and enjoy the new Arcade system I just bought for 150 with a $50 gift card in the meantime, after getting back 85 for trading in my 3 year old system.[/QUOTE]

Lol, funny isn't it? I'm doing the same as you. I'll wait until more reviews come in and the next version of the slim. Seeing how MS doesn't bother to fix their errors, it's best to wait for a better deal.

[quote name='JaTaN']You can use it as a media center so people like to have one for each TV (play DVDs or stream movies from computer or use it for Netflix or use it to play downloaded AVI files from a flash drive)

If there are kids in the house then they wont be fighting too much if theres more than 1 console

Some people have a console or 2 that got banned so they can use these to mod and play online again (banned consoles can only be used offline)

For $80-$100 its very cheap so might as well lol (costs less than buying 2 new games)[/QUOTE]

I figured one of the reasons is because of having little kids. I don't have an Xbox so I didn't know that modded consoles get banned. Thx for the reply.

Well the current GS TIV for the slim is a deal. It's $40 more then I was told I'd get for my old 360 on Tuesday. It's not b1g1 free but That's a deal.

[quote name='DualFPS']That's what I like to know as well. In the first couple pages of this thread, there were a few users who seemed to be really happy with 3-4 Xboxes... wouldn't that mean you wasted almost over $1000? Think of all the games you could buy with that.. or college books or pay house bills.[/QUOTE]

I have a buddy that has three in his house. He has them because his friends pretty much live in his house, lol. He hates doing split screening for games, too. But yeah, there are a number of reasons why people have more than one system. Me personally, I plan on selling my older elite, once I get the new one in the mail.

GameStop wouldn't take my refurbished console because geeks.com (or whoever refurbished it) removed the stickers on the back that have the serial number. eBay it is, I guess. Oh well, at least the clerk was cool and gave me TIV for all my hardware:
2 x wireless controllers - $25 ea
1 x 120GB HDD for $40
1 x 20GB HDD for $30
Wired Headset $5
Component Cable $4.50

$129.50 in all. Not too shabby.

[quote name='seanr1221']Does the new 360 come with any arcade games loaded on it already? While transferring, it said A Kingdom for Keflings was already on the system...[/QUOTE]

Interesting...I never even considered the pre-loaded content. I'll have to check mine out when I get home. I already have the game also which kinda sucks...I wonder if it still has Hexic HD.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Interesting...I never even considered the pre-loaded content. I'll have to check mine out when I get home. I already have the game also which kinda sucks...I wonder if it still has Hexic HD.[/QUOTE]

Did the same thing with Hexic and Peggle. After Peggle I just selected replace all because I wanted to go downstairs.

Hey guys I have a quick question. I have a halo 3 360 and a pure bundle elite I am torn at which to trade in any suggestions. TIA The elite is new and the halo is an 07 model but is green.

bread's done
Back