Xbox 360 system update preview nets you a free copy of Reach (closed)

Updating. Thought I had the disc version, but reread it and saw I didn't.

Edit: I know were not supposed to talk about it, but it doesn't look like there are any visual changes.

Says "This release will focus on an update fot eh Xbox 360 disc format." on the beta channel.

sweet, I made it in. I love reach... second copy?? what the hell not. maybe this one will be special or something. doubtful though really.

and Im in the disk group, DISK GROUP FTW!!!

[quote name='Cheddahz']I wondering when they are going to start rolling out the copies of Halo Reach...[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm wondering. I'm apart of the disc update group so it'll probably update when the disc comes in the mail.

wondering if its just a public update for everyone

edit: nvm. see that i have a beta channel.

that was a dozy of an update.

no update yet! I'm in the live audience btw, will try forcing the update after the beast of yucca flats on netflix!

If you still haven't gotten the update press the xbox guide button move the left anolog stick to all the way to the right until you see system settings click on it and then click on network settings and choose what connection you have and then after that click on test xbox live connection when you do this a pop up will tell you to download the update

Last edited by a moderator:
Upgraded - Nothing happened minus a new (worthless) Beta option and it kicked me out of Fallout NV =/

I think there's two different updates. One that adds the beta channel to the dashboard and the one that adds the disc support to the xbox. So for the people getting the update via disc you probably only got half the update. I could be wrong but it felt like the Xbox downloaded two updates as I saw it install one then it rebooted and downloaded something else.

Got booted out of BC2.
Updated.
Checked out empty Beta channel.
Went back to BC2.
Can't play it online.

blowup.gif

Guess I'll try again in a few hours.

[quote name='KrizB']Got booted out of BC2.
Updated.
Checked out empty Beta channel.
Went back to BC2.
Can't play it online.

blowup.gif

Guess I'll try again in a few hours.[/QUOTE]

cant play online? I better not get screwed out of my gears 3 beta. Anyone else having problems playing online after the update?

Got in for the Live group. This preview has me pondering a few things:

First, with the whole audience thing: it comes across like they are splitting beta testers into separate "audiences" and will be releasing different features throughout the preview to us, based on what "audience" we belong to. (See the Beta channel to see what I'm talking about).

Next, this new disc format can't be the only thing they are putting out for the update. At least it had better not be. I'm still somewhat ticked about my Kinect not having voice/motion controls for Netflix out of the box, as portrayed at LAST years E3. You make me wait until Fall/Christmas for it, I will not buy a damned thing from your Marketplace until it comes out as payback. (and I do spend a bit of cash there). So, anyhow, wondering what else we might expect to see this update?

Lastly, I am kind of wondering about this "free" copy of Halo Reach, specifically these things: will the game still work after the preview? Will it be limited in any way? Are map packs to be included? I already have the game, but I got a buddy buying a 360 soon, and plan to gift one of my Reach copies to him, provided the freebie is fully functional after the preview ends.

after reading online that updates were being pushed today... i went home and checked and sure enough i got the update... now debating if I should trade in Reach or if the new disc format will be too glitchy to play...

Still can't access the connect site. Just keeps trying to load and then says there is a problem with the site. But I turned on my 360 and got an update and I now have the Beta blade. Score! Since Reach will be on my doorstep someday soon I guess I should start playing all the Halos in my backlog as I've never gotten around to playing them. Just gotta score a cheap ODST which shouldn't be hard nowadays.

So, listened to Joystiq's Xbox 360 fancast today, and they were saying this new disc format should free up more room on the disc, (about 6.8 GB is currently free after DRM and other system data). So, as they are sending out Reach discs, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they use that extra space to include the map packs. Not too high of hopes, but you never know...

If you got the update on Live, you're in the live group. You can verify this by going to the xbox preview section of the connect site. Either way, you still get a copy of Reach.

[quote name='preston181']If you got the update on Live, you're in the live group. You can verify this by going to the xbox preview section of the connect site. Either way, you still get a copy of Reach.[/QUOTE]

WRONG.

If you are in the LIVE group you just get your update from Xbox Live and never get a disc, like the Kinect beta where you NEVER got a Kinect

If you are in the DISC group you get a Halo Reach NEW disc, like the Kinect beta where some people got a free Kinect to test

[quote name='CaptainKirk']WRONG.

If you are in the LIVE group you just get your update from Xbox Live and never get a disc, like the Kinect beta where you NEVER got a Kinect

If you are in the DISC group you get a Halo Reach NEW disc, like the Kinect beta where some people got a free Kinect to test[/QUOTE]

LOL wut? Your saying i updated my xbox live for nothing? I need a game to test this thing out.

If you are in the DISC group you get a Halo Reach NEW disc, like the Kinect beta where some people got a free Kinect to test[/QUOTE]

Nah you're wrong. Both groups will receive a copy of Halo Reach. Disc vs. Live is just how you are going to be getting the updates.

[quote name='distinct101']Nah you're wrong. Both groups will receive a copy of Halo Reach. Disc vs. Live is just how you are going to be getting the updates.[/QUOTE]

Think about it.

If we were both receiving the disc, why wouldnt EVERYone just update from the DISC? :D

No, you are wrong. Taken directly from Connect site, (Click directory, then Xbox Live Update, under anouncements, click group status):

YOU are in the Xbox LIVE Update Audience
· Xbox LIVE Update – The updates will be released via the LIVE service and will work with the Halo Reach disc that we are providing.

Sigh. Already discussed. Some will get an update that's on the disc, others will get the update via the net, but still get a disc IN ORDER TO TEST IT OUT. Can't test a new disc format without a new disc.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Sigh. Already discussed. Some will get an update that's on the disc, others will get the update via the net, but still get a disc IN ORDER TO TEST IT OUT. Can't test a new disc format without a new disc.[/QUOTE]

LOL at the Sam Jackson pic. Reading saves headaches, guys. YES, everyone who got in WILL get a Halo Reach disc. Sheesh.

just turned on the 360 and got the live update installed. took a good 5 mins to download and install. doesn't seem like anything changed, other than that there's a new sub-menu for the beta testing with nothing in it.

Got the update yesterday. I'm in the Live group. Took a little longer than usual for me, probably 3 or 4 minutes. Usually the system updates go by very quickly for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vulcan2422']Weird thing is, I was choosen for the Disc update. Yet as I went to go to Netflix I was prompted to update. Took about a minute to download the update and there it was, X Box Beta channel. Sorta confused since I'm in the disc group how ever.[/QUOTE]

It was just the dashboard update to add the beta channel to your dash (both groups did that last night). If you're in the disk group, your big update should be coming in the mail with your Reach disk (or on your Reach disk).

[quote name='garrett007']I do not understand. I am on the disc group but an update has never come my way yet.[/QUOTE]

I am sure the update is on the Halo Reach Disc they are sending us...

bread's done
Back