XBOX 360 USB Compatibility Thread

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']All of them....

Oh, you mean how many simultaneously? Maybe 2-3, tops, but it's a viable solution for those with a 20GB HDD since the OS and OG Xbox support knock out so much by default.[/QUOTE]

I'm embarrassed to say that, no, I meant a single game. I was sleepy. Not thinking straight. Shouldn't post when sleepy. :)

[quote name='Tony208']USB flash drive vs the hard drive[/QUOTE]

Well, I would presume not, since USB2 would be the bottleneck and I'm pretty sure that USB2 is a lot slower then the SATA that the HDD is connected with (it is SATA in the 360, right?). No harm in trying, though! Maybe the results would be surprising?

^I'm only knowledgeable about advertised speeds like USB2.0 480Mb vs SATA II 300Mb (the 360 drive is 5400rpm so even slower?). I don't know how fast they actually operate. I guess I'll try to find out.

If you have a Dark Void branded USB from when they were giving away swag, don't bother. I got warnings about performance issues and only had about 32kb available after formatting.

Hmmm, how much space is actually suppose to be on that Dark Void USB drive? The performance issue shouldn't have anything to do with "missing" space.

[quote name='MSUHitman']2 GB stick from the Forza 3 Collector's Edition (Sandisk)
No errors or compatibility issues.[/QUOTE]

Forgot to mention that you only get to use 1.4 GB of the storage after setup.

[quote name='Tony208']^I'm only knowledgeable about advertised speeds like USB2.0 480Mb vs SATA II 300Mb (the 360 drive is 5400rpm so even slower?). I don't know how fast they actually operate. I guess I'll try to find out.[/QUOTE]

Your numbers are bit off there. SATA is theoretically capable of 1.5 Gb/s and SATA II is 3.0 Gb/s! :) Of course these are just theoretical, but I can assure you that in practice SATA is much, much faster then USB2, and USB2 is much slower then its theoretical speed, much more so then SATA - more overhead with USB and probably other reasons that I'm not savvy enough to know.

UPDATE: So apparently, even after Major Nelson and Microsoft suggested staying away from external hard drives (spinning disk media), these guys did a test to see what was fastest by doing a game install on several flash drives and external HDD's. Turns out that the external hard drives are the fastest with the shortest install times. Watch the link below, very interesting:

http://kotaku.com/5513406/your-guide...360-usb-drives

I saw that video but it makes no mention of formatting for 16 gb partitions or does the 360 allowed access to the entire drive's storage space without breaking it down into pieces? At this time I really don't see a point in this 16 gb limitation and so I find there is nothing to get excited about.

Tempted to just buy a Sandisk Cruzer 16GB USB Flash Drive on eBay for like $32.00 .. is this a good deal on flash drives, considering newegg has them listed for $39 and up? Or does someone know a coupon code or deal site we can use to get these things for cheap? ;)

I took a chance on a Kingston 8 gb DataTraveler 112, and it proves to work like a charm, with no performance warning. It's pretty cheap from amazon. Something like $16 shipped with FSSS or prime. Seems fast and it's smaller/shorter then most flash drives.

The dark void drives should be 1 gb, but one of mine had a faulty chip in it, so I can only format it to like 32k on my computer and I can't use it without formatting, so that may be why it didn't work. On a side note, I really wished the iPhone layout had a quote option, would make things much easier, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patriot Xporter XT 8gb received no errors.

FLASHDRIVEP33-7012-main01-tmc.jpg

Dang it, I was planning on running out to Microcenter to get one of their USB drives, because you can't beat the price... stinks that they are failing the performance test.

[quote name='life.exe']Centon DataStickPro 4GB
OCZ Diesel 8GB

Both do NOT work.[/QUOTE]

my 8 gb OCZ diesel works just fine. it gave me a performance warning, but its working just fine. ran arcade games, and dlc of of it. and i now have MW2 installed to it and that runs perfectly. if yours isnt working at all, id try reformatting it on your pc.

The 16 gb version of the Kingston Data Traveler 112 is the goldbox deal of the day today for $25 shipped. I have the 8 gb version and it works great with the 360, with no performance warning. Also a nice thing about it is that it's shorter then most flash drives.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

[quote name='crunchewy']The 16 gb version of the Kingston Data Traveler 112 is the goldbox deal of the day today for $25 shipped. I have the 8 gb version and it works great with the 360, with no performance warning. Also a nice thing about it is that it's shorter then most flash drives.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/[/QUOTE]

I was wondering this myself, and trying to figure out if there would be a performance warning associated with it. Is it a pretty safe bet that there won't be?

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']my 8 gb OCZ diesel works just fine. it gave me a performance warning, but its working just fine. ran arcade games, and dlc of of it. and i now have MW2 installed to it and that runs perfectly. if yours isnt working at all, id try reformatting it on your pc.[/QUOTE]

I reformatted twice and it failed both times afterward.

Are there any advantages of using a USB flash drive for dlc, game saves, etc. if you still have space on your console's hdd?

I'm just wondering if I should even bother getting another media device (I still have a 64mb mu, too, for moving my profile).

Joystiq mentioned something about the "inevitable" hdd failure, so that kinda made me nervous.

I was thinking about getting an enclosure for one of my older hard drives (80 GB IDE/ATA) to use with the 360 for some added space after I move some stuff off of it to my new PC, so have there been any reported issues on external enclosures yet that I should make sure to avoid?

I ordered a Sandisc 16GB cruiser for free with credit card points. Hopefully it will come in soon. My 120 is runnng out of room grumble grumble.

The biggest benefit I can see is moving around downloaded content between systems. Notably, Rock Band songs. The 256/512 memory cards would run out fast.

[quote name='shieryda']Are there any advantages of using a USB flash drive for dlc, game saves, etc. if you still have space on your console's hdd?[/QUOTE]

One nice thing is you can move your profile and saves onto the flash drive and then if you visit friends/family you can take that with you and play games with your saves. At least I think that is possible. Truthfully I'm a newb and haven't been able to test yet if this actually works. I do have my profile on my flash drive, and I have some of my saves on there. I think you can also put XBLA games on the flash drive and as long as you have your profile on there too, and log in on the other console, you can play the XBLA games. I'm not really sure about that, though.

As backup, though, it's actually a real pain to do, especially if you have multiple profiles on your drive and/or you install DVD games to the hard drive. That's because you can't then just select a game and say to copy everything for that game to the flash drive. If you've got an installed DVD game it will complain and not work. So you have to go one level deepr and then copy each file individually. Major pain depending on the game. If you have multiple profiles and saves from other profiles as well as from your own, you'll have to copy the saves from each individual profile - you can't copy everybody's saves at once. You have to copy your saves, then switch profiles and copy that profiles saves, etc. In general, most of the time I seem to have to copy individual files. End result is it isn't practical to use as a backup, at least not as a good one. You'll do it once, maybe, but I doubt you'll keep the backups up to date. Not even close.

[quote name='Ziv']I ordered a Sandisc 16GB cruiser for free with credit card points. Hopefully it will come in soon. My 120 is runnng out of room grumble grumble.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just delete some of the copied games? Those eat up like 4-6 Gb each.

[quote name='life.exe']I reformatted twice and it failed both times afterward.[/QUOTE]

well that sucks. guess im lucky mine works. i gues people should avoid the ocz just to be safe

I only keep the ones I play on a semi regular basis. I don't keep the ones I don't play anymore.

I picked up this drive from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178252

A 16GB PNY Mini Attache. Works perfect on my 360. No performance warning. I actually took the time to go through and copy every gamesave I've got on my 360 to it, along with some DLC, so it's all backed up in case I ever have an issue. I then copied all the files from the drive to my desktop as well, as an added safety measure. So now I have a pretty much complete backup of my 360, along with a backup of my PS3. Yay!

Can you "copy" game saves to the flash memory, or do you have to "move" them (only have them on one device at a time)?

I think you can only move your profile, so I don't know how it works for saves.

[quote name='shieryda']Can you "copy" game saves to the flash memory, or do you have to "move" them (only have them on one device at a time)?

I think you can only move your profile, so I don't know how it works for saves.[/QUOTE]

You can copy saves and lots of other things. Profiles, you are correct - they can only be moved. Also, I did find some things it wouldn't let me copy even though it would for other games, so I guess the game can decide what you are able to do. Or something decides that, and not always in your favor, but most stuff I'm able to copy.

[quote name='crunchewy']You can copy saves and lots of other things. Profiles, you are correct - they can only be moved. Also, I did find some things it wouldn't let me copy even though it would for other games, so I guess the game can decide what you are able to do. Or something decides that, and not always in your favor, but most stuff I'm able to copy.[/QUOTE]

Yea some games do not allow you to copy saves. I made a list when i was copying my stuff over. I'll try to post it when I get home from work.

Also remember that you cannot mass copy items by using the handy transfer content option (hit "Y" button when highlighting the HDD). That only allows you to mass move content. If you want to copy all your games you have to highlight each game, hit "Y" and select copy. This is very tedious and time consuming especially if you have played more than 100 games on your profile.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/gaming-cards/sandisk-xbox-360-usb-flash-drive

In case anyone here cares...

69.99 for the 16 gb / 34.99 for the 8 gb

....at least it will always work in case MS decides to ever pull the plug on 3rd party ones (like it did with memory cards) since this one is 'officially' licensed...

BTW...

I have my profile on a 512 mem card...for whatever reason my profile loads faster on that than on my HDD...

If I get a USB and put my profile there, would it be better than the memory card? ie., which is faster? Memory card or USB flash?

[quote name='KevinMassacre']UPDATE: So apparently, even after Major Nelson and Microsoft suggested staying away from external hard drives (spinning disk media), these guys did a test to see what was fastest by doing a game install on several flash drives and external HDD's. Turns out that the external hard drives are the fastest with the shortest install times. Watch the link below, very interesting:

http://kotaku.com/5513406/your-guide-to-xbox-360-usb-drives

So the test done in the video proves this thread's purpose pointless. The performance warning means nothing. Unless portability is what you are going for, the external hard drives are the way to go. Now we just have to find them cheap & small.[/QUOTE]
Very interesting. I guess my suspicion about MS giving you inaccurate results seems to be at least partially correct.

found some clearance flash drives at Target (name brand "Transend" I think).
8gb for $9.98.
I'll have to try it out and see it if works.

When you use these USB drives, does the XBox take control of it all? Or can i also put movies/music onto it along with xbox 360 stuff? Is there any used space.... like my 20GB hard drive is really 12GB.

[quote name='The 7th Number']When you use these USB drives, does the XBox take control of it all? Or can i also put movies/music onto it along with xbox 360 stuff? Is there any used space.... like my 20GB hard drive is really 12GB.[/QUOTE]

You can choose how much space you want to be reserved for the xbox. You can use the remaining space on the USB drive in other devices just as you did before.

For example, I have a 32gb drive. I configured 16gb for use on the 360. It shows up as 16.0 gb free on my 360. In my PC the drive shows 15.5gb free. The 360 uses half a gig of the drive for system files or something.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']You can choose how much space you want to be reserved for the xbox. You can use the remaining space on the USB drive in other devices just as you did before.

For example, I have a 32gb drive. I configured 16gb for use on the 360. It shows up as 16.0 gb free on my 360. In my PC the drive shows 15.5gb free. The 360 uses half a gig of the drive for system files or something.[/QUOTE]

Can this only be set once, or can you adjust its xbox 360 storage space at any time?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Can this only be set once, or can you adjust its xbox 360 storage space at any time?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure. I'll try it tonight and let you know if it can be done.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Can this only be set once, or can you adjust its xbox 360 storage space at any time?[/QUOTE]

I think you press Y then select Remove Xbox 360 Storage on the USB MU option. Then just set the drive up through the "Customize" option, but it has to be redone every time you want to change the capacity.

I haven't check the thread, but I got a Kingston DataTraveler 4GB - DT101 and it works without a performance warning. Here's a link: http://www.frys.com/product/6175059?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Takes forever for games to install on these usb drives. I was installing tekken 6 on the Sandisk 16GB. Decided to switch on the ps3 while it installed. While waiting i beat marvel vs capcom 2 arcade mode (medium difficulty, no continues) and it was still on 60 %

bread's done
Back