Xbox Banning Discussion

But when I will buy used, if the console isn't banned, I'm gonna license transfer my stuff immediately and commence downloading immediately.

I bet it will be safer in dec but it will never be safe my tag is flagged has to be. If they nab my main tag on my new console do they ban the new console now to is the real question.

I bought a new one to just play gta5 online and only reason. :(
oh noooo ! After what has happened, you still want to support Microsoft ? You still want give your money to Microsoft ? My console has not been banned, and all my gamertag has not been banned, too. But now, I cannot trust Microsoft anymore.

You can call Xbox and ask. When I called about my box being banned, he ran a check on my GT and said there is no flag for my account and it's safe. The guys name was Jesse.
I get a like i am a god type attitude when i call. I hate for them look at me closer haha

If i am flagged or not i will sooner or later recover my main account which has 7k tied up into it. If i recover my tag and it gets banned and not my console i can use the content on a new account. If console and my recovered tag get banned will be the ultimate worst.

oh noooo ! After what has happened, you still want to support Microsoft ? You still want give your money to Microsoft ? My console has not been banned, and all my gamertag has not been banned, too. But now, I cannot trust Microsoft anymore.
I got 7 thousand usd tied into my tag on digital content who wants to lose that? I support gta5 and i hate the ps3 version. You are attacking someone of the few that is spreading this stuff to help the fight. Why not help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question, most of my games are all small arcade games or whatever, if I download those to a usb drive, when I get my HD later, can I transfer from USB drive on same system to the HD on same system?

I got 7 thousand usd tied into my tag on digital content who wants to lose that? I support gta5 and i hate the ps3 version. You are attacking someone of the few that is spreading this stuff to help the fight. Why not help?
Sorry. I am not attacking to you. I just tired these days. I hate MS when they do that ( ban for freebies ). If my console ( or tags ) banned, I don't know what I must do...I will never buy anything from microsft again

Anyone know how to change your IP address?  Can you do it from your router or do you need to contact your ISP?  I am just trying to cover my bases since at least one person has stated that a non-offending gamertag has been banned merely for being in the same household (IP address).

Anyone know how to change your IP address? Can you do it from your router or do you need to contact your ISP? I am just trying to cover my bases since at least one person has stated that a non-offending gamertag has been banned merely for being in the same household (IP address).

Not sure, never tried to. Only other way I know off hand is switch internet services

Anyone know how to change your IP address? Can you do it from your router or do you need to contact your ISP? I am just trying to cover my bases since at least one person has stated that a non-offending gamertag has been banned merely for being in the same household (IP address).
depending on your ISP i think. some ISP assigns you a (semi) static public IP address. some ISP assigns you a different IP address from time to time. some even gives you a range of IP addresses to choose from.

I just looked it up for my ISP and it seems it can be done via either method. I will give it a shot tomorrow, changing my IP.
eldergias would you happen to know if I can store my down load games on a usb drive on my 360 then when I get my hard drive for my 360, if I can transfer from usb drive to HDD all on same system?

I bought a HDD transfer cable, but now I doubt I will use it.  I have all my save games and GT on a USB stick, which is my normal procedure.  There shouldn't be anything on my HDD that I can't redownload after doing the license transfer, I think.  I don't know if it is being overly paranoid, but I would prefer not to hook up the old HDD incase there is something on there that could flag another console (despite what the MS guide says about move HDDs other permitted consoles).

eldergias would you happen to know if I can store my down load games on a usb drive on my 360 then when I get my hard drive for my 360, if I can transfer from usb drive to HDD all on same system?
You can definitely do that. However, that won't tranfer any game licenses. You would still need to either transfer the licenses from xbox.com or sign in with the account that purchased the games.

Even before this whole situaiton, I always kept my GT, save games, and a copy of my arcade games on a USB stick so I could take them with me and play at friend's houses.

You can definitely do that. However, that won't tranfer any game licenses. You would still need to either transfer the licenses from xbox.com or sign in with the account that purchased the games.

Even before this whole situaiton, I always kept my GT, save games, and a copy of my arcade games on a USB stick so I could take them with me and play at friend's houses.
he said he wanted do that on same console :bouncy:

Well my usb drive will be my only storage device for a while, it is 8 gigs, so I I will save my gamertag, licenses and my small XBLA games on it until I get my HDD.

Think we'll get any more bans tomorrow?
Pure speculation obviously (like most things posted in this thread) but it looks to me like the bans are over, the last report of a ban I've seen from free games was on Saturday other than one guy on NeoGaf who reported one today but he hadn't turned on his console in a week. I'd say if no more come out by the end of the week chances are no more are coming. Other people have mentioned the end of year ban waves but I believe those are mainly geared towards modded consoles. I can't picture them banning a bunch of people for this then just waiting weeks or months to ban everyone else.

No one else seemed to have a problem comprehending..
They had to pop in sometime. I suggest feeding them cookies...

I have corrupted saves now.... I read this at gamefaqs.

As to the save game thing, it seems data created AFTER the ban is corrupted if you choose to move your HDD over to another console.

Anything saved prior to the ban should be fine.

If you're really worried about it don't play any games whose files you care about after the hammer falls.

Pure speculation obviously (like most things posted in this thread) but it looks to me like the bans are over, the last report of a ban I've seen from free games was on Saturday other than one guy on NeoGaf who reported one today but he hadn't turned on his console in a week. I'd say if no more come out by the end of the week chances are no more are coming. Other people have mentioned the end of year ban waves but I believe those are mainly geared towards modded consoles. I can't picture them banning a bunch of people for this then just waiting weeks or months to ban everyone else.
Do some research there called ban waves for a reason. You are always idling in here so it must be a reason for it. Why not help us instead of knocking us down? Hell maybe they took a break because people like us helped just maybe. If you get nicked do not cry to us.

Though I don't mind having to start over in games probably as much as some people do but M$ shouldn't have that kind of power to fuck your game progress up offline.

Sorry. I am not attacking to you. I just tired these days. I hate MS when they do that ( ban for freebies ). If my console ( or tags ) banned, I don't know what I must do...I will never buy anything from microsft again
Sorry we are all tense right now. If i did not have 2+ years gold balance and a high value of digital i would of bailed myself. I wish you luck keep those fingers crossed.

And also what purpose does corrupting your saves serve?

Might as well say this on your banning message

Dear Loyal Microsoft customer:

We banned your console.

We corrupted your saves.

We slept with your girlfriend

We kicked your dog.

Deal with it and buy another console.

Do some research there called ban waves for a reason. You are always idling in here so it must be a reason for it. Why not help us instead of knocking us down? Hell maybe they took a break because people like us helped just maybe. If you get nicked do not cry to us.
Seriously? I didn't knock you down in any way shape or form. Just posting my observations.

Lol that made me think of the Angry Video Game Nerds review of Friday the 13th, where he tried to think of a worse ending than you are dead.

"You're dead. Your friends are dead. Your
family's dead. Your fucking pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a fucking whore. You suck at life. The whole
world hates you. You're going to Hell. Live with it. Game
Over."

This is the thread that keeps on giving. If you think about it, the actual number of CAGs that got banned is not that large. It still sucks for you guys, obviously, but there aren't as many of you a I would think there would be. Of course, no one knows of they're done or not...

This is the thread that keeps on giving. If you think about it, the actual number of CAGs that got banned is not that large. It still sucks for you guys, obviously, but there aren't as many of you a I would think there would be. Of course, no one knows of they're done or not...
That's the one thing I'm wondering, why is the number so low? Maybe they were actually doing the ban a couple scare a lot method.

Console was banned on the 26th. I bought a used slim 250gb for 120 bucks and I'm currently playing GTA Online(or trying to, thanks R*) on my main account. I downloaded my main account to the new console and transferred only a few saves(from legit games) that I need right now. Still, I'm scared that MS will ban me again for whatever reason they think of. It could be my main account and my new Xbox to go with it.

That story of that guy that was console banned on the 26th and was banned today(or yesterday) just increased my paranoia to a whole new level.

Console was banned on the 26th. I bought a used slim 250gb for 120 bucks and I'm currently playing GTA Online(or trying to, thanks R*) on my main account. I downloaded my main account to the new console and transferred only a few saves(from legit games) that I need right now. Still, I'm scared that MS will ban me again for whatever reason they think of. It could be my main account and my new Xbox to go with it.

That story of that guy that was console banned on the 26th and was banned today(or yesterday) just increased my paranoia to a whole new level.
Honestly, I am a bit suspicious as I am nervous of that report. It just doesn't make sense for the bans to be spread out. Think about it. If they wanted to ban your GT for the same reason that they were banning your console, they would look up what GTs play on the console they are banning and ban both at the same time. They already have the console info infront of them, they wouldn't want to do the same work twice. Keep in mind that among this wave of bans, people have also reported being banned for non-foreign account game issues. It seems the people getting console bans are the people who used the foreign accounts to get free games, but people are also getting banned for the $1/1month gold, cheating, modding, and selling as well. It seems likely that at least some of the people who got the free games are also doing one of these other things as well. So a person gets console banned for the foreign accounts and then at a later time they find his main account is doing one of these other things.

I hope that is what went on, but I never read the NeoGaf account of the situation.

Regarding license transfers to a new console. After you do that, if you have trial versions of the games you own on there already it will speed up the process. You have to go through your download history and re-download everything for new console licenses to be made. I had to do this when I got my slim in 2012. If a trial is already there the download will see that and just make new licenses which will take like half a minute per game instead of downloading the whole thing again. If you don't do each individual game you will still need to be online to play them.

Copying the trial games to a USB stick and moving from your banned console to your new one shouldn't cause any issues. Also you don't need the old console as I had traded mine in to get the slim on a promo.

You can change your IP by using a VPN, but that might be worthy of a ban now a days so don't bother :p

I hate to be a pessimist here, but seems like MS is letting the heat die down before putting in another wave of bans.  I'm starting to think that maybe they'll hold off until Xbox One is released to make sure more people don't cancel their pre-orders.  I wouldn't put it past them at this point.  

Honestly, I am a bit suspicious as I am nervous of that report. It just doesn't make sense for the bans to be spread out. Think about it. If they wanted to ban your GT for the same reason that they were banning your console, they would look up what GTs play on the console they are banning and ban both at the same time. They already have the console info infront of them, they wouldn't want to do the same work twice. Keep in mind that among this wave of bans, people have also reported being banned for non-foreign account game issues. It seems the people getting console bans are the people who used the foreign accounts to get free games, but people are also getting banned for the $1/1month gold, cheating, modding, and selling as well. It seems likely that at least some of the people who got the free games are also doing one of these other things as well. So a person gets console banned for the foreign accounts and then at a later time they find his main account is doing one of these other things.

I hope that is what went on, but I never read the NeoGaf account of the situation.
Yet, I'm still a little bit scared of going online. I've made my decision for the future: I'm only buying an Xbox One until it's at 200 bucks or less. Guilty or not, this is a fucking joke to us gamers. fuck that noise.

Yet, I'm still a little bit scared of going online. I've made my decision for the future: I'm only buying an Xbox One until it's at 200 bucks or less. Guilty or not, this is a fucking joke to us gamers. fuck that noise.
Going by how price drops were this generation, you won't be getting an Xbox One until 2020.

Honestly, after learning all this, if you still proceed and buy an Xbox One, and your main GT gets banned by Christmas in the ban waves, it is pretty much your fault.

That's the one thing I'm wondering, why is the number so low? Maybe they were actually doing the ban a couple scare a lot method.
I don't think it is that low. There are posters on virtually every forum. Now, may be the same people signed up for each one, or the tactics Microsoft and others used have kept most people silent.

Consider this, any user with his gamertag tied to a forum account that hasn't been banned yet (even if his console, or foreign accounts were) or hoping to salvage his gamertag is not likely to publicly discuss the issue, for fear of Microsoft hunting him down and violating him further.

Secondly, forums did go on witch hunts, accusing posters of fear mongering, lying, or simply of doing other things far worse than downloading free games. The attempt to rationalize Microsoft's behavior is understandable, but it created a backlash on users who were trying to do nothing else besides report on the ban.

Even in this thread, you get the moral police popping up, often with misinformation, or a misunderstanding of what exactly went on. Most people don't like having to deal with that crap, at least considering the fact that Microsoft has already screwed with these people enough.

I've seen a lot of topics deleted, moved, posts vanish, etc... for the most part what has happened has been whitewashed. I've seen other more active threads closed, or cleaned up to remove ban discussion, and one reason I'm following this one is because it's being allowed to exist (if you can find it).

I don't think the bans reflect everyone who downloaded free games, or got free months of Xbox Gold or what ever, but they are far more severe than existing forum posts would indicate.

I don't think it is that low. There are posters on virtually every forum. Now, may be the same people signed up for each one, or the tactics Microsoft and others used have kept most people silent.

Consider this, any user with his gamertag tied to a forum account that hasn't been banned yet (even if his console, or foreign accounts were) or hoping to salvage his gamertag is not likely to publicly discuss the issue, for fear of Microsoft hunting him down and violating him further.
I certainly agree here. If I had a GT associated with my profile on CAG I would never have been posting in this thread as I have, for fear of reprisal. There are other sites I frequent where I do have my GT associated with my account and I have refrained from joining in that discussion. People are justifiably afraid of losing their main GT, even though they have done nothing wrong with their GT. People will keep quiet to try to keep that from happening.

I wonder what the criteria was for banning. I mean some people just got their console banned (me), some lost everything and some weren't touched

bread's done
Back