Xbox Games on Demand sale 75% off

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!
http://majornelson.com/2012/06/14/june-19-25-games-on-demand-sale/

June 19 – July 2 Games on Demand Sale

the sale has been extended!

These deals will be available in all Xbox LIVE regions where the title is available.

$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Alone in the Dark
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WW II
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Bolt
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Bomberman Act: Zero
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
$3.99 (normally $13.99) 73% off Conan
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Dark Void
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off FaceBreaker
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Kameo
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Meet the Robinsons
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Open Season
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Perfect Dark Zero
$4.99 (normally $14.99) 73% off Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Rockstar Table Tennis
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off SEGA Superstars Tennis
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Surf’s Up
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Tornado Outbreak
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Virtua Tennis 2009
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Viva Pinata Party Animals

I think Prince of Persia and Conan are great at this price!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's good to see some other Conan fans. Great button-masher and I had a lot of fun playing through it. Currently on my 2nd playthrough (on Hard), but got busy with other games. Need to go back and finish it up.

If you're a fan of God of War or grew up playing Golden Axe in the arcade, you should check it out for $3.99.

Everyone keeps saying you can pick them up at GS for the same price, but not having to swap discs is pretty compelling.

Yeah, GoD is ridiculously overpriced, but this sale justifies buying these older games

[quote name='daminion']complete with naked women to rescue.
[/QUOTE]

Damit, now I have to buy it for the digital b00beez.

It's not exactly a masterpiece but I think Bionic Commando got some hard press back in the day but despite it's flaws I had fun with it. Once you get used to the swinging it's awesome. I think it's definitely worth $5. I played through it on XBOX already and if I didn't have a cheap STEAM copy already I'd probably pick it up again.

[quote name='jkam']It's not exactly a masterpiece but I think Bionic Commando got some hard press back in the day but despite it's flaws I had fun with it. Once you get used to the swinging it's awesome. I think it's definitely worth $5. I played through it on XBOX already and if I didn't have a cheap STEAM copy already I'd probably pick it up again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but your wife is your bionic arm. YOUR WIFE!!!

[quote name='SyxxHallNash']When I saw this I instantly thought about getting Bolt and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs for my daughter. Then I saw everyone saying most of these games are $5 used at GameStop. I looked up those 2 games and they're $14.99 and $17.99.[/QUOTE]

A few of the games are under $5, so everyone assumed they ALL are, which they are not. So quite a few of these games are good deals.

[quote name='LordFlux']It's good to see some other Conan fans. Great button-masher and I had a lot of fun playing through it. Currently on my 2nd playthrough (on Hard), but got busy with other games. Need to go back and finish it up.

If you're a fan of God of War or grew up playing Golden Axe in the arcade, you should check it out for $3.99.[/QUOTE]

I bought Conan awhile back and thought it was a ok button masher. I didn't get to far into it because of the constant parade of the topless naitives. Just fyi if you have kids around.

These are the USED prices, according to gamestop.com

Bionic Commando - $4.99
Blazing Angels - $7.99
Bolt - $14.99
Cloudy with a Chance -$17.99
Bomberman - $3.99
Conan - $4.99
Dark Void - $5.99
Facebreakers - $6.99
Kameo - $4.99
Meet the Robinsons - $7.99
Perfect Dark Zero - $1.99
Prince of Persia - $4.99
Table Tennis - $2.99
Sega Tennis - $1.99 - w/ XBLA Compilation - $2.99
Surf's Up - $12.99
Tom Clancy's GRAW - $2.99
Tornado Outbreak - $7.99
Virtua Tennis 2009 - $6.99
Viva Pinata Party Animals - $9.99

Out of all of them, I own only PoP. I can say that if you're a fan of the series, it'll hold your interest for a good while. I certainly enjoyed it.

Can't speak for the rest of them. 400 is soooo cheap and I have a good deal of points, but man a lot of those games stink.

$4 and $5 games, when I buy my points at a 25% discount seems super appealing to me. Games that I'll own (relatively speaking) vs. renting is nice.

(I only put that last line in there to remind everyone that PS+ games are rentals, or at least the 12 games they are promoting now)

[quote name='Joshe']Everyone keeps saying you can pick them up at GS for the same price, but not having to swap discs is pretty compelling.

Yeah, GoD is ridiculously overpriced, but this sale justifies buying these older games[/QUOTE]

agreed. plus it's 1) doesn't have shit all over it and 2) it's not like you're gonna trade them in for anything after playing it.

thinking about picking up Conan.

I'm thinking about picking some of these up just to have the digital versions. Maybe just PDZ, Kameo and GRAW.

Heck, at this prices, its 10 games for $50 or less. How can most of you be complaining..

Great deal for Prince of Persia, which is still one of my favorite games this gen. Most of the games are hideous, though. The only one I may be tempted to get is Kameo. I'm surprised that the original Viva Pinata is not included. I would have picked that up, for sure.

I must have been tired last night but i guess i didnt see Tornado Outbreak on the list.I watched some videos on it and it looks fun I might buy that one also.

[quote name='realskillz']you can get most of these games for 5 bucks used at gamestop this isn't really a deal this should be the retail price[/QUOTE]
This is a great deal for people that bought their points for cheap. I only paid about $22 for the 7000msp that I currently have. So I'm getting these games for almost nothing.

I'll probably get Cloudy With The Chance Of Meatballs, Meet The Robinsons, Open Season and Surfs Up. Might get Tornado Outbreak. Already bought Dark Void a couple weeks ago for $2.

And I can't believe all the love PoP is getting. It has got to be one of my least favorite games ever. I don't think someone could make a more repetitive/boring game if they tried.

However, Kameo is a great game that I highly recommend.

[quote name='nightmare452']I'm thinking about picking some of these up just to have the digital versions. Maybe just PDZ, Kameo and GRAW.

Heck, at this prices, its 10 games for $50 or less. How can most of you be complaining..[/QUOTE]

I get what you are saying, and I'm certainly not offended by $5 games. Someone else brought up the point that PS+ is $50 for a year, and they put out 12 games just this month that are arguably higher quality (if not all retail products), which makes for an interesting scenario.

[quote name='daminion']Kameo is a decent rpg, I enjoyed it quite a bit when I played through it 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Kameo is anything but an RPG. Just wanted to clarify that for anyone not familiar with the game.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I get what you are saying, and I'm certainly not offended by $5 games. Someone else brought up the point that PS+ is $50 for a year, and they put out 12 games just this month that are arguably higher quality (if not all retail products), which makes for an interesting scenario.[/QUOTE]

The one thing that stops me is the fact that you have to remain a PS+ member to keep any free games. That's how it still works, right? Or are these free games you're talking about different?

[quote name='Deserter Goose']The one thing that stops me is the fact that you have to remain a PS+ member to keep any free games. That's how it still works, right? Or are these free games you're talking about different?[/QUOTE]

Good question. Plus are there ever any deals on PS+ like there are for xbox live? I have never paid retail for a year of live. If you do pay retail for it, you are doing it wrong...

I've been intrigued by Conan and Kameo for a long time, considering how many points I've purchased in the last 6 months from great deals, I think it's a worthwhile risk. I really wanted to give some of the Disney games a try, but none of them really reviewed favorably.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I get what you are saying, and I'm certainly not offended by $5 games. Someone else brought up the point that PS+ is $50 for a year, and they put out 12 games just this month that are arguably higher quality (if not all retail products), which makes for an interesting scenario.[/QUOTE]

You're right. PS+ has its advantages, and so does this sale. The PS+ "free" games are better IMO and much newer (Infamous 2 alone is a fantastic game for 'free'). But I have never though of PS+ as a rental, I dont think the $50 a year price breaks the bank in any way. All the complains of PS+ games not trully being free is valid, but at $50 A YEAR, how cheap can someone be. Don't eat out a day once a month, and you get all these games. Same with this sale, these are dirt cheap. My main problem is HDD space honestly.

And I at least can vouch for Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo as being great games (PDZ was ahead of its time IMO).

Like it's been mentioned, these games are mostly old and crappy. I played Conan back in the day and it was a fun hack n slash, but not so sure it would hold my attention 5 years later. I recently bought a PSN+ 12 month subscription for 30 bucks and so far it's been worth it. The initial 12 games offered to + members are far and a way better than this $5 XBL sale. + service also offers nice discounts on various games, which you keep always.

These are "deals" $5 for 5-7 year old games?

For those wondering these games are not as fun as you remember them. Times have changed and what was fun back in 2006 is average and probably looks like garbage now.

I'll probably grab Kameo, and maybe Prince of Persia. A lot of the non-shovelware games are worth $5 for a playthrough. Sure, they're cheap like that at the store, but some of the older games are getting harder for find. Not to mention how convenient Games on Demand are. Though that probably won't apply as much with games that you don't keep playing.

Yes that's true but you don't keep those games when your PS+ membership expires so you don't actually own any of them. Besides PS+ needs to give something for their membership considering the online service is already free.

Anyway, OT: Those of you complaining that it's not a deal can GTFO. Some people get their points from bing or cheaper than MSRP which makes this a deal. However, with my limited space I may only get one game. I would recommend Bionic Commando to anyone on the fence, its an amazing game I got for $20 way back so $5 is a steal for this.

[quote name='buster90']These are "deals" $5 for 5-7 year old games?

For those wondering these games are not as fun as you remember them. Times have changed and what was fun back in 2006 is average and probably looks like garbage now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I always forget how all the video games from the past thirty years stopped being fun once they were over 3 years old, and that graphics are SO important.

[quote name='buster90']These are "deals" $5 for 5-7 year old games?

For those wondering these games are not as fun as you remember them. Times have changed and what was fun back in 2006 is average and probably looks like garbage now.[/QUOTE]

CAG's gaming credibility is getting exposed hardcore lately.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']CAG's gaming credibility is getting exposed hardcore lately.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. I just assumed that the person who wrote that was 12 years old and disregarded it.

Remember when one day SD content starting burning people's eyes? Those were dark times. I didn't realize stuff from 2006 was also ruining lives. I guess it's a good thing there are HD remakes of old games, you know it's really just to save retinas.

[quote name='mrclutch']I bought Conan awhile back and thought it was a ok button masher. I didn't get to far into it because of the constant parade of the topless naitives. Just fyi if you have kids around.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Kids love boobies, so I'll def pick this one up. :D

Mostly shovelware, but a few decent games that put me on the fence a bit (mainly Kameo and PDZ). The prices seem great, but I'm not sure if the games themselves are really worth my time, and there's no way in hell I'm trusting the recommendations of a forum that recommended Tales of Vesperia. I'll probably pass on the sale unless a shmup goes on sale in secret on the HK marketplace (it could happen maybe!).

And aesthetics > POLYGAWNZ. As long as a game keeps to an interesting visual style, your imagination can fill in the blanks. Unless you're a casual or something.

[quote name='jkam']It's not exactly a masterpiece but I think Bionic Commando got some hard press back in the day but despite it's flaws I had fun with it. Once you get used to the swinging it's awesome. I think it's definitely worth $5. I played through it on XBOX already and if I didn't have a cheap STEAM copy already I'd probably pick it up again.[/QUOTE]

Agreed - I had a blast with this game. The story is super cheesy (intentionally, I think?) and can get a little frustrating trying to grab all the collectibles. As you said, the arm mechanics can take a little getting used to but once you have them down it's so fun swinging around and f'ing up bad guys with your robotic claw. It's not worth paying full price but there's definitely at least $5 worth of fun to be had with it.

In for Conan and Kameo. Any recommendations for Table Tennis?

I have to say I wish I didn't already have PoP and Bionic Commando, those are great prices and anyone on the fence should definitely snatch them up.

[quote name='morrodox']Thanks for the info. Kids love boobies, so I'll def pick this one up. :D[/QUOTE]

I know my 1 year old does. We weened him off breastfeeding a few months ago. I think he's about to relapse. :roll:

[quote name='mpaullin']In for Conan and Kameo. Any recommendations for Table Tennis? [/QUOTE]

Table Tennis is a pretty fun game. I rebought that cheap last year because I remembered how much fun I had with it. Online is still working, but good luck finding a game.

Tornado Outbreak has my interest in this sale. Might pick that one up.

Since everyone seems to think these games are incredibly old, I thought I would make a list by year.

Dark Void (2010) (2 Yrs)
FaceBreaker (2010) (2 Yrs)
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (2009) (3 Yrs)
Virtua Tennis 2009 (2009) (Duh) (3 Yrs)
Bionic Commando (2009) (3 Yrs)
Tornado Outbreak (2009) (3 Yrs)
Prince of Persia* (2008) (4 Yrs)
Bolt (2008) (4 Yrs)
SEGA Superstars Tennis (2008) (4 Yrs)
Surf's up (2007) (5 Yrs)
Meet the Robinsons (2007) (5 Yrs)
Conan* (2007) (5 Yrs)
Viva Pinata Party Animals (2007) (5 Yrs)
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WW II (2006) (6 Yrs)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (2006) (6 Yrs)
Open Season (2006) (6 Yrs)
Bomberman Act: Zero (2006) (6 Yrs)
Rockstar Table Tennis (2006) (6 Yrs)
Kameo (2005) (7 Yrs)
Perfect Dark Zero (2005) (7 Yrs)

So, could we stop throwing out that all of the games are 5-7 years old.

I'd personally rather save my points for a marquee arcade game than buy 2 or 3 of these games, but to each their own.

[quote name='airco']Mostly shovelware, but a few decent games that put me on the fence a bit (mainly Kameo and PDZ). The prices seem great, but I'm not sure if the games themselves are really worth my time, and there's no way in hell I'm trusting the recommendations of a forum that recommended Tales of Vesperia. I'll probably pass on the sale unless a shmup goes on sale in secret on the HK marketplace (it could happen maybe!).

And aesthetics > POLYGAWNZ. As long as a game keeps to an interesting visual style, your imagination can fill in the blanks. Unless you're a casual or something.[/QUOTE]

Vesperia is a hit with a certain niche of gamers, and you'll get recommendations for it on most gaming sites that have some variety of gamers. It is good in that genre. I haven't played Kameo, but Perfect Dark Zero is decent. It was just a major disappointment to people expecting the promised quality that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark 1 had. It changed too much to feel like those games, mostly because the old team had left Rare, on top of it changing development from Gamecube to Xbox to being rushed for the launch of the 360.

I can't believe they're still charging for one of the map packs. It's dropped to $2, but they can't be selling any.

Awe come on MS you can do better than that...Sony is giving free LBP2, inFamous 2, warhammer 40k space marine, and many more new-ish games. To not even match that with a free Kameo (old ass launch game) and pixar crap is just lame

I have never seen so many lists for the same games in my life. Is today national list day or something? Between this thread and the XBL DOTW one there is a list for the price, another for metacritic score, another for sales ranking, another for when they came out, and one for their price at Gamestop.

[quote name='sukTHEfac']Awe come on MS you can do better than that...Sony is giving free LBP2, inFamous 2, warhammer 40k space marine, and many more new-ish games. To not even match that with a free Kameo (old ass launch game) and pixar crap is just lame[/QUOTE]

...what Pixar crap?

a) There's nothing Pixar on there. Disney yes, Pixar no.
b) Even if there was Pixar, maybe two of all the movies Pixar has ever done has been less than brilliant.

Half of these games are just crappy movie games is this sale in response to the crazy free games that were given to ps plus members? Cause if it is its damn sad

bread's done
Back