Xbox Games on Demand sale 75% off

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!
http://majornelson.com/2012/06/14/june-19-25-games-on-demand-sale/

June 19 – July 2 Games on Demand Sale

the sale has been extended!

These deals will be available in all Xbox LIVE regions where the title is available.

$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Alone in the Dark
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WW II
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Bolt
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Bomberman Act: Zero
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
$3.99 (normally $13.99) 73% off Conan
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Dark Void
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off FaceBreaker
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Kameo
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Meet the Robinsons
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Open Season
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Perfect Dark Zero
$4.99 (normally $14.99) 73% off Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Rockstar Table Tennis
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off SEGA Superstars Tennis
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Surf’s Up
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Tornado Outbreak
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Virtua Tennis 2009
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Viva Pinata Party Animals

I think Prince of Persia and Conan are great at this price!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='loomis1975']Drama! :) A few of these were released in early to mid 2009, Tornado Outbreak was September 2009. Pretty sure Dark Void was early 2010. Prince of Persia was late 2008, think week after Thanksgiving. And somehow I don't think a tennis game with 2009 in the name was released in 2007, just saying. ;-)[/QUOTE]
Stop clouding things up with facts!

[quote name='sukTHEfac']Awe come on MS you can do better than that...Sony is giving free LBP2, inFamous 2, warhammer 40k space marine, and many more new-ish games. To not even match that with a free Kameo (old ass launch game) and pixar crap is just lame[/QUOTE]
Sony is letting you rent those

Microsoft is letting users buy these

Kinda liked Conan for what it is for those on the fence.

Shame that they didn't include the Condemned games, Dark Sector, Rainbow Six Vegas, EDF 2017. Some of those are older favorites of mine.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Sony is letting you rent those

Microsoft is letting users buy these[/QUOTE]

Don't kid yourself. All DRM downloads these days are long term rentals. Once the service goes down and your hardware fails, you no longer "own" it cause there is no way for you to download it again.

[quote name='sonnyforple']Don't kid yourself. All DRM downloads these days are long term rentals. Once the service goes down and your hardware fails, you no longer "own" it cause there is no way for you to download it again.[/QUOTE]

Yup!

[quote name='sonnyforple']Don't kid yourself. All DRM downloads these days are long term rentals. Once the service goes down and your hardware fails, you no longer "own" it cause there is no way for you to download it again.[/QUOTE]

That is an interesting way to spin things, considering that you lose the games when you stop subbing to PSN+ but not when you drop XBL Gold. This isn't any endorsement about one service being better than another either.

there's no proof that physical media is any more reliable, especially in the age of optical media. plenty of CD/DVD/HD-DVD/BluRay rot to go around.

and I can't remember how many times I had to blow or reinsert a cartridge before it finally loaded.

Would consider biting on Rockstar Table Tennis, but don't want to waste the space on my HDD, when I can buy the physical copy for around the same price.

The rest of the list just feels like a cop out, almost like a list of something that Steam would give away for a buck on one of their Friday sales.

The sale will probably do good, regardless of what I think, simply because of the implied "75% savings". Microsoft should take a hint from Steam or Sony, and do a giveaway or at least put a more recent release on a sale like this.

Amazing read this thread is. If a game is good, it will immerse you no matter how old it is. Sure, some may take a little more to get into because it will take a bit to get back into the art style or remember how to deal will less than perfect controls or collision detection, but once your sucked in, the game should still entertain. Just like a good old flick like Airplane! or Young Frankenstein.

And once a physical copy is broken, lost, or stolen, you can never play it again until you buy a new copy. There are ups and downs to both.

[quote name='Indifference']I've heard good things about Tornado Outbreak. Even some comparisons to Katamari.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the bit of this I played. I never got around to finishing it, but it is far more of a goal based/destruction game than Katamari. I love Katamari, but if you're reaching I guess you could compare them.

Edit: In other news, if you hate Tales of Vesperia, you hate fun.

[quote name='BNoyes']And once a physical copy is broken, lost, or stolen, you can never play it again until you buy a new copy. There are ups and downs to both.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's true, but in my 18 or so years of gaming I've never had one game stolen, lost, or broken. I have far more control over maintaining my physical collection than I do with my digital collection.

[quote name='SIX min WHISTLE']Vesperia is a hit with a certain niche of gamers, and you'll get recommendations for it on most gaming sites that have some variety of gamers. It is good in that genre.[/QUOTE]

No it is absolutely not in any way shape or form. I don't have anything against JRPGs - Earthbound and Mother 3 are some of my favorite games of all time, and I loved Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, and Nier. I'm a huge weeaboo too, so it's not like animu-style art offends me, either. Vesperia was just one of the dullest, most mindless mashfests I've played in my life wrapped inside of the most cliched, horrendously written, poorly translated, dragged out shitfest of a plot I've had the displeasure of experiencing in years. I cannot understand how that game and that series as a whole could possibly be viewed as anything above a vile turd, much less acquire a fanbase.

I apologize, but I only put that horrible game behind me a few weeks ago. Seeing that name still triggers a bit of PTSD.

Back to downloadable games, at least I can pawn off terrible video game discs for a few dollars - like, say Vesperia. Had that been a download (I know it's not on GoD but bear with me), I wouldn't have been able to trade it in for a dollar more than I bought it for.

[quote name='BNoyes']And once a physical copy is broken, lost, or stolen, you can never play it again until you buy a new copy. There are ups and downs to both.[/QUOTE]

Theft, to me, is the best argument for digital media. Most people are far less likely to get their accounts stolen than a physical item and you are FAR, FAR, FAR more likely to be able to recover it if it is stolen. Don't get me wrong. The obscene amount of money I've put into digital media of all kinds makes me very nervous, but it's hard to argue the recovery angle. Then again, there are items I "own" on 360 that I can no longer get because so many systems have died and there is no way to download them anymore. So, yeah, its still got a long way to go.

I want to pick up Conan, Open Season, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, Cloudy with meatballs...

Comes out to 24.00 and a crap ton of gamerscore boost!

My problem? No debit card... Does a 1600 point card work? (I have 400 MSP already on my account)

[quote name='ZombiesWorld']This is a great deal for people that bought their points for cheap. I only paid about $22 for the 7000msp that I currently have. So I'm getting these games for almost nothing.[/QUOTE]May I ask how?

[quote name='Serious McMopy']Am I the only who finds it a bit silly to compare USED prices to digital content?

IMHO, some solid stuff.[/QUOTE]

I know with used games you can resell to any bloke on the street and play anytime on any 360 with a working DVD drive. Digitial content you need HDD space and internet access and cant resell. Completely different.

Not bad deals compared to the laughable normal prices. Wish they would discount GOD exclusives like RE4, CV and Deathsmiles 2.

[quote name='voormis']^ So, you'd give it a 9/10? haha.[/QUOTE]
What do you take me for, IGN?

I'd give it an 8.8.

[quote name='coldgears']I want to pick up Conan, Open Season, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, Cloudy with meatballs...

Comes out to 24.00 and a crap ton of gamerscore boost!

My problem? No debit card... Does a 1600 point card work? (I have 400 MSP already on my account)[/QUOTE]
You can buy GoD with MS points. Go to the purchase screen, and hit Y or X or something to switch the payment from dollars to MSP.

[quote name='neuropolis']...what Pixar crap?

a) There's nothing Pixar on there. Disney yes, Pixar no.
b) Even if there was Pixar, maybe two of all the movies Pixar has ever done has been less than brilliant.[/QUOTE]

UHHHHHH...OK

a) well, it's been Disney Pixar for years, so excuse me for not being super specific enough - you know what I mean
b) is this a thread about video games or movies? don't confuse the two. Wall E was amazing. Wall E video game was garbage. See? Two different things.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Sony is letting you rent those

Microsoft is letting users buy these[/QUOTE]

Yeah, renting for AT LEAST one year, or for people like me, for the life of PS3. It's closer to owning than renting.

[quote name='sukTHEfac']UHHHHHH...OK

a) well, it's been Disney Pixar for years, so excuse me for not being super specific enough - you know what I mean
b) is this a thread about video games or movies? don't confuse the two. Wall E was amazing. Wall E video game was garbage. See? Two different things.[/QUOTE]

But there was no Pixar. You didn't have to be specifc, you just had to be correct. None of the games listed were Pixar films.

[quote name='neuropolis']But there was no Pixar. You didn't have to be specifc, you just had to be correct. None of the games listed were Pixar films.[/QUOTE]

exactly. I don't think sukthefac understands subsets.

[quote name='dirtyvu']http://majornelson.com/2012/06/14/june-19-25-games-on-demand-sale/

June 19 – 25 Games on Demand Sale

These deals will be available in all Xbox LIVE regions where the title is available.

$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Bionic Commando
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WW II
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Bolt
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Bomberman Act: Zero
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
$3.99 (normally $13.99) 73% off Conan
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Dark Void
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off FaceBreaker
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Kameo
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Meet the Robinsons
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Open Season
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Perfect Dark Zero
$3.99 (normally $13.99) 73% off Prince of Persia
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Rockstar Table Tennis
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off SEGA Superstars Tennis
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Surf’s Up
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Tornado Outbreak
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Virtua Tennis 2009
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Viva Pinata Party Animals

I think Prince of Persia is great at this price![/QUOTE]

Thats actually not a bad list of games from the earlier times of the Xbox 360, and a lot of underappreciated gems too.

If you haven't yet, give these a try:
Bionic Commando
Bomberman Act: Zero
Dark Void
Kameo: Elements of Power
Perfect Dark Zero
Prince of Persia
Rockstar Table Tennis
SEGA Superstar Tennis
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Viva Pinata: Party Animals

Most of them might not have been worth their original $60 price tag, but for $4-$5 you can't go wrong with any of them.

I paid full price for Kameo, PDZ and PoP and didn't regret it one bit, they are pretty good games. The others I rented them before and will be sure as hell picking them up during this sale.

Thank you for posting this, I would not have seen this otherwise. Very cool. People who don't like it are just complaining to complain.

[quote name='nadohawk']Gamestop B2G1 Free destroys this deal.[/QUOTE]Except then you have to go into a gamestop ;)

I'm going to pick up a few of the kids games. Looking at reviews, most of these games aren't the total garbage that some here are painting them as.

Everyone must buy perfect dark zero, sure the single player is bad but the online was B^) awesome, infection was a blast

Wonder if people are still playing

Kameo is also another game to get.

I have an account that has been Gold for years, but not from the beginning.........it took me a couple years to get a 360. I have enjoyed the Gold sales but the recent sales have been less than stellar. I jumped on the PS+ train when it was rolled out, so I have seen many great deals and I have a large library of games that are mine as long as I maintain my membership (or keep changing my PS3's date and keep it dark, not sure on this but I am guessing it would work-----I don't plan on this as I think the price is fair for what I get, but online servers will eventually die and I hope I could keep it after that happens). MS has not enticed me to spend my points for the games on their platform for a while. Their marketplace had the better layout, prior to the Kinect dashboard reconfiguration. Now I prefer to shop on PSN. As many have said before, the "sale" prices are near the market price for a physical copy (if used). So I am hesitant to jump on any of these titles. 400 is where they should be already, I think there may be 3 titles I will be considering.

Sony on a near regular basis gives full games. They aren't 4-5 year old floaters that you get to keep in perpetuity, but they are usually pretty good games. And then PS+ users get a discount on many games as well.

You can call me a fan boy but I have 2 of both consoles and I am telling you what I have seen. I have a vested interest in PSN (with good games) where XBox Live gives me a chance to buy fuck and keep it for the life of the Live service.

I won't be cancelling my Gold (and will keep it active till it dies), but this sale is crap and a slap in the face when Sony is offering so much more, and has done so every year. I'll pick and choose where I spend my cheaply bought points.

[quote name='nadohawk']Gamestop B2G1 Free destroys this deal.[/QUOTE]

I think even a digital copy is better than a Gamestop used game :/

Playing games installed to the HDD is a real bonus. I can't tell you how many more games of Halo Reach I've played because I could choose it like an arcade game.

Anything less than $10 I really don't care too much about physical vs digital. Anything less than $5 I'm choosing digital every time. I'm not going to mess with trying to sell a game I paid $5 for.

[quote name='ZForce915']Playing games installed to the HDD is a real bonus. I can't tell you how many more games of Halo Reach I've played because I could choose it like an arcade game.[/QUOTE]

This. A million times this. I'm a huge XBLA junkie, but I can't tell you how many games I avoided because disc swapping is just too much. I recently bought Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit on Games on Demand and I'm putting in much more hours in it than I already intended just because it took seriously a few button pushes and it was booting up. I love downloadable games. Sure, I'll always enjoy having games like Mass Effect 3 on my shelf for my collection, but games like these? Not only do the quality of their boxes probably not hold up, but hell, I'll play them more just because they're readily available at all times.

A lot of those games are awful. Bomberman Act Zero is one of the worst reviewed games on the 360. PDZ wasn't horrible, but it didn't live up to Perfect Dark, and the MP turned into everyone just rolling around like a nut bag. Dark Void feels like something that was a great idea, but was never finished. VP Party Animals...just no...

For the price of a rental, though, you can sort-of, kind-of own some pretty decent titles.

[quote name='nadohawk']Gamestop B2G1 Free destroys this deal.[/QUOTE]

Not if the discs are all grubbed up and it comes in a generic case.

I'm gonna buy two games in the hopes that it encourages them to have more Games on Demand sales. I see games on there I really want to buy but the cost keeps me from doing so.

[quote name='KrisMKX']Not if the discs are all grubbed up and it comes in a generic case.[/QUOTE]

Stand alone disc (assuming it works) is still more valuable than digital copies.

[quote name='DarkPGR']Not really. No matter what sony's PR spin says, PlayStation Plus is nothing more than a rental service where you can't even choose what to rent. You don't own the games you get there for free, you can only play them as long as you pay them.[/QUOTE]

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but to me this argument is just something people repeatedly tell themselves to justify not signing up for PS+. Their only trying to convince themselves.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but to me this argument is just something people repeatedly tell themselves to justify not signing up for PS+. Their only trying to convince themselves.[/QUOTE]

What?!? And next you will be telling me that your argument is something you repeatedly tell yourself to justify not letting go of PS+, in effect... a way to convince yourself. And after that you will say something insane like how our opinions directly affect our decisions...

I really think you may be onto something... I'm not sure what it is, but it is something.

bread's done
Back