Xbox LIVE being discontinued for Original Xbox consoles and games

OnyxPrimal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
From Major Nelson's Blog:

"I wanted to let you know that on April 15, 2010 Microsoft will discontinue Xbox LIVE service for original Xbox consoles and games, including Xbox 1 games playable on Xbox 360. Our first step in this process will be to turn off auto-renewals for those members who only use Xbox LIVE on a v1 Xbox. While I can’t comment on the specifics, this change will allow us to continue evolving the LIVE service with new features and experiences that fully harness the power of Xbox 360 and the Xbox LIVE community. We did not make this decision lightly, but after careful consideration and review we realize that this decision will allow us unprecedented flexibility for future features.

Xbox LIVE general manager Marc Whitten (Gamertag Notwen) has posted this letter to the community which provides additional context.

The best is yet to come, and we look forward to sharing more details in the near future."

http://digg.com/d31Hqii

Sucks for guys like me who Still enjoy Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando with friends.

Wow. I didn't even know I could still play my old XBox games online with 360. Is there a list somewhere of the ones that still work until April?

[quote name='DaButtonMasher']Wow. I didn't even know I could still play my old XBox games online with 360. Is there a list somewhere of the ones that still work until April?[/QUOTE]

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

If they're not sports games, they should work.

I just played Jedi Academy the other night.. sadness..

The ones I'm going to miss the most are Whacked and Midtown Madness 3. Sigh. No more Halo 2? Wow.

There's really no reason for them to be doing this..

they are doing this because they now will be able to remove the friend list cap. Games such as halo 2 that are still played a lot, prevent them from removing the cap because it doesn't support any more friends then what the current cap is and if they raised it it would crash the game.

Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. People should still be allowed to play their games online. I take it there isn't a way for people to set up their own servers? Of course if you want to play them on the original Xbox, it's damn near impossible because you can't find the subscription cards anywhere. Was there an option to pay by credit card? I tried setting my original Xbox up a few days ago and I gave up because I was having a lot of trouble finding subscriptions.

I fail to see how this is going to improve XBL as a whole.

[quote name='62t']so much for xbox live being the better service[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Though I never played live on my original Xbox after getting my 360, I always felt that being able to play on Live with my Original Xbox was a good feature. I wasn't paying $30 a year just for one console service. I was paying $30 a year for 2 consoles service. What's going to happen 5 years from now? Are they going to discontinue service for the 360? How am I supposed to play FEAR multiplayer then, considering there's no system link support for that game? Face it man, not having the ability to create your own server = video game rental. This is true for the new PC no server pardigm seen on games like Modern Warfare 2 and Starcraft 2.

Then again, I'm am glad to see that Infinity Ward is forcing everyone to play the game as it was intended to be played. Nothing annoyed me more in the early 00s than trying to play Quake 3 arena online, and EVERY goddamn server had some stupid mod running.

So, who wants to play Project Gotham Racing 2 online one last time? Hah! I remeber now, that when I modded my Original Xbox, I was worried that it might get banned if I tried to go online with it. Now it seems that EVERY Xbox will be banned on April 15th.

It sucks but did you guys think MS was going to run those servers forever?

How many of you actively play original Xbox games? I kept a couple but never got around to them because I have so many 360 games that get major playtime.

Oh, and see how many PS2 games you can play over PSN these days and then get back to me about starting a flame war of the better service.

[quote name='BlindPete']they are doing this because they now will be able to remove the friend list cap. Games such as halo 2 that are still played a lot, prevent them from removing the cap because it doesn't support any more friends then what the current cap is and if they raised it it would crash the game.[/QUOTE]

If that is the real reason for it, then I am all for it. The friends list restriction is very limiting. I hate having to choose who to remove when someone want me to add the to my list.

Ironically I just hooked up my original Xbox yesterday and was going to try to get some Capcom vs. SNK 2 goodness in over the weekend.

Other than that, I haven't touched an original Xbox game live game other than Halo 2 for he last two years, and even then it was a handful of times.

Also, I agree 100% with depascal22.

The only game I will truly miss trying to play online would be Phantom Dust, but it was so hard finding people to play that it is moot anyway.

[quote name='depascal22']It sucks but did you guys think MS was going to run those servers forever?[/QUOTE]

I thought they were the same servers? It's mostly lame for those that bought Xbox Originals on the 360 that used LIVE, as those games will also no longer be able to be played on LIVE.

Also, I wonder if this will eventually happen to the 360. Stuff like this is one reason why I do not like to buy too much DLC/Digital content for consoles, as we have no idea how long the companies will keep it up for customers to download.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Also, I wonder if this will eventually happen to the 360.[/QUOTE]

Well....yeah. They're not going to have servers up for you to play Halo 3 deathmatch in 2050. After some time they're going to stop supporting everything so they can devote those resources to something else and not have to consider backwards compatibility when making changes to the service. I'd give them 5-10 years.

Why don't you guys call up MS and ask them why they don't release updates for Windows 95 anymore. Tell them your PC is vulnerable now.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Stuff like this is one reason why I do not like to buy clothes, as I have no idea how long they will last till they wear out and have to buy more.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Everything comes to an end........

Wonder if you can still play Dreamcast games online....If not I want to bitch about it.

[quote name='Malik112099']:roll:

Everything comes to an end........

Wonder if you can still play Dreamcast games online....If not I want to bitch about it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because I totally complained about launch Xbox titles being unable to be played online. Oh that's right, I didn't. I specifically named the xbox originals that were sold to play on the 360, in which case I am sure a lot of people did not expect support for those to go away during the 360s lifespan. I mentioned the console DLC since we haven't had such things in such high numbers on consoles before, and was merely wondering how that will work when the next system comes out.

Another thing, your clothes argument is absolutely stupid. Clothes wearing out would be the equivalent to a game disc being scratched to the point of it not working anymore. In this case, you are being told that your perfectly fine clothes can no longer be worn unless you wear them in your house. So at least get your analogies straight if you want to try and make ridiculous points and twist my words.

[quote name='depascal22']Oh, and see how many PS2 games you can play over PSN these days and then get back to me about starting a flame war of the better service.[/QUOTE]

PS2 games were always hosted by the game's company/publisher, not by Sony. That's a moot point in this argument.

I'm sure this will disappoint some people but I don't blame Microsoft for doing this. It's probably taking up a decent amount of hardware/resources to keep these bad boys up and running. They will be able to focus on current and future Live features.

Given the fact that EA pulled the plug on hosting all of those servers for much more recent games, is this really all that much of a surprise? Microsoft has to look at the numbers here and make a business decision. That's what they've done. Most of the games have had what, a good 5-7 year run on Xbox Live, if not longer?

It should be noted if you wish to download any original Xbox DLC you'd better grab them shitz now. In addition I would like to suggest we set up a thread for people to match up with others to play original Xbox games for the final two months. For example we could set up Halo 2 nights, or just have individuals meet say for a Street Fighter Anniversary or Capcom VS Snk individual meet ups.

I think XB Connect is still up and running for those still wanting to play games online that support system link. There won't be any voice chat, but it's something.

MjC

[quote name='62t']so much for xbox live being the better service[/QUOTE]

Uh huh. And which service is now better than XBox Live because they're shutting off the old XBox games?

And I'd assume XB connect would still work like the above post said?

Still, this is pretty fucking lame. If the only tradeoff is being able to have more than 100 friends (not assuming it is, but that's all we can assume at the moment), that's the fucking dumbest tradeoff ever. How many of you have 100 people on your list that you actually communicate/play online frequently with?

The collector in me wants to download the last couple Song Packs for the DDR Games on the Xbox I don't already have. (Will I *ever* go back and play those titles though?)

How difficult is it to get hooked up on Live on the original Xbox? Any issue using my current 360 tag over there?

Outside of 48-hour trials, I never played on Live. Wonder if I can even get on there (since my original Xbox is modded)? Then again, I guess I wouldn't give two craps if my console was banned from Live, now would I? :lol:

[quote name='Malik112099']Wonder if you can still play Dreamcast games online....If not I want to bitch about it.[/QUOTE]
There's only a select few, but none are hosted by Sega. Sega pulled all of their servers around 2002, with Phantasy Star Online being yanked in 2003.

The only ones that still play online officially are 4x4 Evo, Sega Swirl (requires a fully operational POP mail account) and Starlancer. Other than that, almost everything else is offline.

Phantasy Star Online, Quake III Arena and Maximum Pool are the only ones online via private servers.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Uh huh. And which service is now better than XBox Live because they're shutting off the old XBox games?

And I'd assume XB connect would still work like the above post said?

Still, this is pretty fucking lame. If the only tradeoff is being able to have more than 100 friends (not assuming it is, but that's all we can assume at the moment), that's the fucking dumbest tradeoff ever. How many of you have 100 people on your list that you actually communicate/play online frequently with?[/QUOTE]

Well one of the argument that people made for Xbox live is that MS will keep the server running when less popular PS2 games were shutting down. Ps2 games like Burnout 3, Battlefront 2, Call o Duty 3, and so on are going to be online as long as the publisher supports it, not when Sony decides to pull the plug

Is there a list of what OG Xbox games have updates and/or free content to download? I'm going to try to get my OG Xbox hooked up to XBL to get all the content/updates for my games.

Maybe we should put together a list here on CAG and possibly share codes for the OG XBL so everyone can get the content they want on the system.

It doesn't sound like they're just expanding the friends list with this.

However, I expect the Friends List cap to be raised to 250.

[quote name='Blackout']Is there a list of what OG Xbox games have updates and/or free content to download? I'm going to try to get my OG Xbox hooked up to XBL to get all the content/updates for my games.

Maybe we should put together a list here on CAG and possibly share codes for the OG XBL so everyone can get the content they want on the system.[/QUOTE]

I second this thought.

[quote name='KingBroly']It doesn't sound like they're just expanding the friends list with this.

However, I expect the Friends List cap to be raised to 250.[/QUOTE]
I believe that it was stated earlier that the reason the friends list cap cannot be increased was because of the original xbox servers (if I find the quote I'll edit my post). It seems to me Microsoft will increase the cap, but by how much?

It's been nice that they waited to discontinue it until April, and hopefully everyone played what they wanted online in that 8 year span.

[quote name='KingBroly']It doesn't sound like they're just expanding the friends list with this.

However, I expect the Friends List cap to be raised to 250.[/QUOTE]

Maybe we'll be getting more worthless social networking stuff, or the ability to record TV shows from our 360. I can't wait.

They should really do a solid and make all the content and multiplayer free, seeing as how it's going to disappear forever after they discontinue XBL. There's no reason they shouldn't, unless that will also break XBL on 360 and inable them to "continue improving" the service.

[quote name='depascal22']It sucks but did you guys think MS was going to run those servers forever?[/quote]XBL doesn't use servers (except for EA games): it's all peer-to-peer.
How many of you actively play original Xbox games? I kept a couple but never got around to them because I have so many 360 games that get major playtime.
Me. I play the Star Wars Battlefront games.
Oh, and see how many PS2 games you can play over PSN these days and then get back to me about starting a flame war of the better service.
I'm pretty much 100% sure that I can set up a server on my PC to play Star Wars Battlefront online for PS2 right now.

[quote name='Blackout']Maybe we'll be getting more worthless social networking stuff, or the ability to record TV shows from our 360. I can't wait.

They should really do a solid and make all the content and multiplayer free, seeing as how it's going to disappear forever after they discontinue XBL. There's no reason they shouldn't, unless that will also break XBL on 360 and inable them to "continue improving" the service.[/QUOTE]

They probably wouldn't bother making it free unless a large group of people demanded it. How many people are going to stand up for Original Xbox games/support?

I will miss Halo 2.

I have not played Xbox games since I got my 360. That is for the most part because the emulation sucks. I was thinking about later on when I had a place to put my old Xbox and have it hooked up I would do so. That way I could still play the old games and download all the content I could get. I guess I wont be able to do that now unless I do it before April 15th. I wonder if I can get a wirless set up with it going. That is the only way i could set it up now.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Uh huh. And which service is now better than XBox Live because they're shutting off the old XBox games?
[/QUOTE]
Steam

[quote name='Gentlegamer']XBL doesn't use servers (except for EA games): it's all peer-to-peer.[/QUOTE]
That's what I thought, everybody keeps mentioning that there is a huge cost to Microsoft to maintian servers, but if it's just peer to peer, then what's the cost? This seems to be more geared toward the feature limitation (ie. friends list).

[quote name='msdmoney']
That's what I thought, everybody keeps mentioning that there is a huge cost to Microsoft to maintian servers, but if it's just peer to peer, then what's the cost? This seems to be more geared toward the feature limitation (ie. friends list).[/QUOTE]

Not everything on XBL is peer to peer, when you are in game you are either p2p (ex. GoW Host Advantage) or through a companies servers (ex. FF XI). When you are browsing friends list, downloading patches and content or watching the videos, those are Microsoft servers. There is a significant cost associated with these functions, as well as stopping the people looking to take advantage of this environment.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Guess I have no reason to un-mod my original XBOX now.[/QUOTE]

I guess I have no reason NOT to Mod mine now! :)

So for the Xbox fans, does this mean no more Halo 2? Well i'm sure all the original Xbox's now are being modded into media centers now.

[quote name='dwhelan']Not everything on XBL is peer to peer, when you are in game you are either p2p (ex. GoW Host Advantage) or through a companies servers (ex. FF XI). When you are browsing friends list, downloading patches and content or watching the videos, those are Microsoft servers. There is a significant cost associated with these functions, as well as stopping the people looking to take advantage of this environment.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but I would imagine that is a minimal cost compared to providing servers for the actual game.

The more troubling aspect to me is the lack of support for Live as a continuing service. I think it's a very short term approach for Microsoft to take. Looking ahead I imagine that the hardware itself will become less and less important and Live itself will become the actual platform, not just for multiplayer or dlc, but as the main marketplace for games. This lack of commitment to the catalog of titles doesn't intill me with confidence about how they will treat this service in the future, a premium service no less.

My subscription doesn't run out till November, at that time I will no longer be a paying gold member, several friends of mine also will be dropping their paid subscriptions. :bomb:

[quote name='seanr1221']My question is, will those who only have Xbox get any kind of reimbursement for their Live service?[/QUOTE]

Surely you jest?

[quote name='seanr1221']My question is, will those who only have Xbox get any kind of reimbursement for their Live service?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='seanr1221']No, I don't

What's MS doing for the consumer who buys a year of live early April for their Xbox.[/QUOTE]

The live account isnt specifically for a gaming device. It is accessable through the original xbox, xbox 360, pc and internet. What you choose to access it through is your problem.

by having an xbox live account you agree to the terms of use. Should have read the fine print before you signed on the dotted line

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/legal/LiveTOU.htm

Microsoft may, among other things: (a) restrict or limit access to the Service; (b) retrieve information from the original Xbox, Xbox 360 console, personal computer, and any connected peripheral device used to log onto the Service as necessary to operate and protect the security of the Service, and to enforce this contract; and (c) upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Service

We may change the Service or delete or discontinue features, games, or other content at any time and for any reason (or no reason).

bread's done
Back