Xbox Live Fall 2011 Dashboard Out Now - 12/06/11.

I didn't think it was that bad either. There's some things I won't use probably such as the social networking stuff, but meh.

Only complaints I've had was the "play game on disc" option is too small (should be the big center icon), more game sorting options, and I think the tabs could maybe be sorted a little better .

Aside from that, I kind of wish the Bing searchbar was an app instead of it's full blown screen. No reason for that imo, especially since it's not a full blown browser.

For cloud storage of games saves, is that automatic or do I need to move my saves into the cloud manually some how? I'm just wondering if when I go to another Xbox if my game saves will be there or not.

The only thing I really don't like in the dashboard is that there definitely seem to be more junk ads. Ads for cars? Really? Otherwise I pretty much like it all. I do still really, really, really wish they'd let us have a place to organize games however we want, or at least some way to "favorite" games and have them show up in a list of their own.

[quote name='crunchewy']
The only thing I really don't like in the dashboard is that there definitely seem to be more junk ads. Ads for cars? Really? Otherwise I pretty much like it all. I do still really, really, really wish they'd let us have a place to organize games however we want, or at least some way to "favorite" games and have them show up in a list of their own.[/QUOTE]

At least you can view your last ten games and apps from the Quick Launch icon on the main page. That's a big improvement - no more waiting a year for the games list to load up!

[quote name='eastx']At least you can view your last ten games and apps from the Quick Launch icon on the main page. That's a big improvement - no more waiting a year for the games list to load up![/QUOTE]

Yeah that is a big improvement actually, I guess I'll just have to get used to the ads.

[quote name='crunchewy']For cloud storage of games saves, is that automatic or do I need to move my saves into the cloud manually some how? I'm just wondering if when I go to another Xbox if my game saves will be there or not.

The only thing I really don't like in the dashboard is that there definitely seem to be more junk ads. Ads for cars? Really? Otherwise I pretty much like it all. I do still really, really, really wish they'd let us have a place to organize games however we want, or at least some way to "favorite" games and have them show up in a list of their own.[/QUOTE]
You have to do it manually, though they've offered no documentation or specifics about how it actually works. It would be great to be able to set specific games for auto-upload to cloud storage to remove the manual work needed after every time that you play those games.

It would be nice to have better tools to manage saves, as I've got 250 saves for one of the older NCAA Football games and there should be a way to delete multiple saves at once so I can get rid of the junk files.

[quote name='praxus07']Honestly hating this update, and have posted on the Connect Feedback sections with all the issues I'm hating, which is pretty much 100% of this new dash.

Because of this dash I'm using my PS3 much, much more than ever. I cringe every time I turn the 360 on anymore.

Hate the look of the dash, hate how everything is so tough to find, no interest in beacons, cloud storage, the social networking garbage, I'll probably never use the Bing function, and the only good thing I can see is the way my own games now appear in the big icon slide show.

This dash is just pure fail....[/QUOTE]

Aren't you the person that hates everything in Netflix too?

[quote name='Corvin']I hate that the giant center box is the ad and not my game disc. The four small boxes should be the ads.[/QUOTE]

This makes me miss the following, more and more:
dash1.jpg

[quote name='thrustbucket']No word on how to make a roaming profile yet?[/QUOTE]

You need two consoles w/ the new dash and cloud saving.

[quote name='eastx']At least you can view your last ten games and apps from the Quick Launch icon on the main page. That's a big improvement - no more waiting a year for the games list to load up![/QUOTE]

The old dashboard had a recently played games list too. What's the difference? Am I forgetting how it was before? It still seems to take a long time to load that list after you quit out of a game and want to launch another. I'm not sure I see what's different other than the look and placement.

[quote name='crunchewy']The old dashboard had a recently played games list too. What's the difference? Am I forgetting how it was before? It still seems to take a long time to load that list after you quit out of a game and want to launch another. I'm not sure I see what's different other than the look and placement.[/QUOTE]

The recent list on the old dashboard takes a while to load for me, but the new list has always worked pretty much instantly so far. It's slower for you? Could have to do with the fact that I'm now forced to play offline for the most part.

The new dash sucks! All the past ones i've liked them or thought they were okay, this one just isn't doing it for me. It's hard enough having to click on something, then click on something again, then click again and so forth until finally digging and getting to where I wanted to. Once again, no MSNBC which I did enjoy using (which is an Xbl Gold feature no longer showing up), sales & discounted items aren't in the front anymore.

Also, if you want to get to your game library good luck browsing because in the previous dash you could look by 360 Games, Indie Games, etc. Now, it's just demo, arcade and a few selections. It seems like they've removed a lot of things I liked and inserted crap like ad's plasted everywhere and stupid crap I don't wanna see like them promoting super 8.

Oh well, it'll take time to get used to and we can't do anything but accept it but now it is just going to be time consuming to even find what I want.

Sales are on top right square of the Games tab, which is much easier to get to than in any version of the NXE dashboard.

I do have to say that the Metro squares doesn't seem to be a good fit for the deals, as they don't have enough room to tell/show you what's on sale. I see Reap Revenge and Battlefield 2 listed in the black friday section, which are actually for Weapon of Choice and Bad Company 2, respectively. They also don't seem to have the room for everything, as a few things are missing from the section like Battlefield 2: Modern Combat and the Marvel Pack for Pinball FX2.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sales are on top right square of the Games tab, which is much easier to get to than in any version of the NXE dashboard.

I do have to say that the Metro squares doesn't seem to be a good fit for the deals, as they don't have enough room to tell/show you what's on sale. I see Reap Revenge and Battlefield 2 listed in the black friday section, which are actually for Weapon of Choice and Bad Company 2, respectively. They also don't seem to have the room for everything, as a few things are missing from the section like Battlefield 2: Modern Combat and the Marvel Pack for Pinball FX2.[/QUOTE]

Marvel Pack is there. You have to go to the big square and use the right stick to scroll through it. That's why it sucks

Just checked and they changed it. Reap Revenge & Weapon of Choice are still wrong. MS must be hiring D students to do the work.

I haven't read this whole thread and I apologize if this has been asked already, but do the premium themes work on the new dash?

They work, but the new dashboard obscures them and they're designed to have all of the art in the top half of the screen. So they're not a good fit for the new dashboard, but they'll work if you want to make use of themes you've paid for.

You also lose those special little billboards behind each person that were specific to the theme. Now you just see the game they are playing as a floating square next to them as it looks like they made the avatars a little smaller to fit more of them on screen closer together.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']This makes me miss the following, more and more:
dash1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow I miss this!!!!! They should definitely bring it back with a slight update.

[quote name='hustletron']Wow I miss this!!!!! They should definitely bring it back with a slight update.[/QUOTE]

yeah a Facebook bar lol

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They work, but the new dashboard obscures them and they're designed to have all of the art in the top half of the screen. So they're not a good fit for the new dashboard, but they'll work if you want to make use of themes you've paid for.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Owen']You also lose those special little billboards behind each person that were specific to the theme. Now you just see the game they are playing as a floating square next to them as it looks like they made the avatars a little smaller to fit more of them on screen closer together.[/QUOTE]

Thank you both for the quick response!

Seems that the default option when selecting an item on the marketplace is now "cancel" instead of "confirm download." Should be less likely for you/your children/your dog to by something by accident now.

[quote name='Owen']You also lose those special little billboards behind each person that were specific to the theme. Now you just see the game they are playing as a floating square next to them as it looks like they made the avatars a little smaller to fit more of them on screen closer together.[/QUOTE]
The themed backgrounds are still there, just in a much more limited role. When you click on your avatar to see your profile on the Social tab, you'll get one of those behind your avatar, which is the only place that I've seen them.

MS actually responded to the feedback and said that it would fixed on the final update. From what I could tell today, it's fixed but it does look a little different. The images that appeared behind each friend are now every 2-3 friends because the friends list is a lot tighter together.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']MS actually responded to the feedback and said that it would fixed on the final update. From what I could tell today, it's fixed but it does look a little different. The images that appeared behind each friend are now every 2-3 friends because the friends list is a lot tighter together.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just noticed that so it must have been in that update they did a few days ago because I remember not seeing those backgrounds before but the actual billboard holders are still gone.

I think the beta messed up my 360. I noticed that the disks seem to spin faster than the old dashboard and I install everything. My 360 had just stopped reading disks and I don't really know why. I've had it barely more than a year.

I am waiting on a response from MS about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone read anything of if/when Netflix is supposed to get closed caption support?
I'd have thought it would with this update, starting with the beta.

[quote name='joseraul']Has anyone read anything of if/when Netflix is supposed to get closed caption support?
I'd have thought it would with this update, starting with the beta.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about 5.1 support.

[quote name='js1']I was wondering about 5.1 support.[/QUOTE]

And I was wondering if it's going to take an app update to allow bing search results to bring up netflix content or if that's a the dashboard that will need an update.

[quote name='js1']I think the beta messed up my 360. I noticed that the disks seem to spin faster than the old dashboard and I install everything. My 360 had just stopped reading disks and I don't really know why. I've had it barely more than a year.

I am waiting on a response from M$ about it.[/QUOTE]

Was feeling for ya until you typed M$. :p

[quote name='eastx']Was feeling for ya until you typed M$. :p[/QUOTE]

lol, I always do that. I thought the $ symbol was for Microsoft. ;)

So what is the big deal with this? I am a FIOS subscriber (for phone, internet and TV) but I don't understand what this new feature is going to do for me...

[quote name='reddjoey']If I am not mistaken, it should act as an On-Demand box.[/QUOTE]

But I already have On-Demand with my FIOS DVR/cable box unless you mean that EVERYTHING will be On-Demand that these channels have (like all episodes of all shows).

I hope so because I really don't see the point unless this is the first step in eliminating my cable box altogether and turning my 360 into a DVR as well which I guess is possible and would save me $15/month for the box rental... but why would Verizon want this to happen unless they can squeeze more than that per user from MS or something.

Uverse does something similar, but in order to get the software on the xbox, it requires a $100 install kit(and gold membership now as well).

FiOS TV customers will have access to an app on their Xbox consoles, which will become available for download next month. Once customers download the Verizon FiOS TV app on their console, they can begin watching live streaming FiOS TV channels – without the need to pay for another set-top box. Customers must subscribe to both FiOS TV and Internet services. Initially, 26 FiOS TV channels will be available, depending on the customer's TV package.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ect-voice-and-gesture-controls-134668108.html

Basically eventually you might be able to cancel the subscription to your DVR and save the $15-20 or whatever you pay for it. I may cancel mine, since I barely watch live TV now a days.

bread's done
Back