Xbox Live Fall 2011 Dashboard Out Now - 12/06/11.

I don't hate it to be honest. The Bing search is useless and I dont have Kinect anymore so none of that matters in my case. It's easier having items grouped at the top as opposed to by the "row" method -- at least for me. I'd forget where items used to be and would have to cycle through the rows, etc. trying to find things. This seems a bit more form fitting. Don't love the ads but after reading all the negative buzz on here frankly I was surprised. Love the cloud saving too.

I don't mind the metro look and actually like it. I just ignore the ads but I'm in the same boat in regards to the Netflix app. I started the pilot to the re-imaged BSG for some background noise. It didn't start as HD, bounced to HD, and then kept on bouncing between 1 bar and HD and generally looked horrible.

[quote name='AshesofWake']just did a quick search, looks like my Quake 4 gamer pics and theme are no longer available on the marketplace i bought when the 360 came out. I wonder if that happened right now or way before. :([/QUOTE]

I just redownloaded all my old DLC to a new system last week. The Q4 gamer pic I purchased was still available through my download history.

[quote name='shieryda']Anyone considering Apple TV (or Roxio or Roku) now for Netflix?[/QUOTE]

The Roku is a really nice device - I have one upstairs. I miss voice commands when using it though.

if I didn't use Netflix on an almost daily basis I'd just have to laugh at how awful the new version is. Instead, I'm annoyed to no end and can't believe how the company has fallen so many times in one year.

The netflix part of the update is absolutely terrible. Otherwise I don't really care about the rest, I turn my xbox on to play games or watch netflix, not browse different things.

Whats wrong with the new netflix app? It seems alright to me once I figured out they I wasnt suppose to use the B button anymore. Its a little laggy for some reason but other than that I dont see a problem with anything.

What are you guys viewing as a problem?

[quote name='Soodmeg']Whats wrong with the new netflix app? It seems alright to me once I figured out they I wasnt suppose to use the B button anymore. Its a little laggy for some reason but other than that I dont see a problem with anything.

What are you guys viewing as a problem?[/QUOTE]

Shorter version of my above post:

TV series have to start playing before I can choose an episode. Netflix doesn't reliably note the last episode I watched, making the process annoying and cumbersome. Seemingly no way to select 'play from beginning' on previously viewed episodes.

Overall, I don't have an issue with the movie portion, but they broke the basic functionality of watching TV series for me.

Like, seriously, I wanted to re-watch an episode of Larry Sanders that was sitting at 90% watched. I literally had to start replaying it from that point and then REWIND it to the beginning. That's kind of fucked. It'll be fixed, obviously, but that's just so fucking basic.

It boggles my mind how horrible the netflix and dashboard updates are. It amazes me further that anyone would think its better just by pointing out small useless cosmetic changes.

The interface changes are done for kinect without any other thought to anything else. its plain to see how mindlessly they are changing things to make kinect seem required to be bought. As if I didn't hate kinect enough... ugh

I really hope they change their mind about removing the Party mode for Netflix. I don't see any logical reason as to why they'd do that...it was the reason I got Netflix in the first place, and worked awesome for everyone. Are they trying to get people not to use their service anymore? Netflix has made a lot of bad choices over the last year.

[quote name='007'] That's kind of fucked. It'll be fixed, obviously, but that's just so fucking basic.[/QUOTE]

Are you so sure that it will? I really hope that all of the negative comments here on and on the Netflix blog will be taken to heart by the development team and upper management there. And I do hope that things will improve across the board.

I haven't used Netflix yet, but yeah it sounds bad.... What bugs me is that the ESPN3 app still doesn't remember where you left off. I have to scan back to where I was before and some of those replays of events are uber long. Like 6, 7, 8 hours long. That ticks me off, but it was like that before the update too. It's the opposite of the problem that Netflix seems to have now.

Also, it might be worth noting that the new Netflix app was not part of the beta. They popped that thing in there only once the Dashboard update was officially out. I'm sure these issues would have been addressed had they included it in the beta.

[quote name='shieryda']Are you so sure that it will? I really hope that all of the negative comments here on and on the Netflix blog will be taken to heart by the development team and upper management there. And I do hope that things will improve across the board.[/QUOTE]

Haha... that's fair. I'm highly optimistic that it'll be addressed. It's almost as if some programmer just forgot to put it in there. I don't have faith that a lot of it will change (basic lay-out, lack of party stuff), but 'Play from Beginning' seems worth fixing.

It bugs me, though, that so much of the infrastructure of the TV show set-up is based in potentially dangerous assumption that people don't turn off and episode before the credits. Do you have any idea how many 95-99% watched things I have on my list? Not having the 'Play from Beginning' option really makes that a bitch. It also screws with the fact that it'll get confused the next time I turn it on and it seems to play a randomly selected episode.

Another thing that indicates that this is more a 'beta' than anything? The non-streaming titles don't show up that way anymore. On my recently played list is a movie that expired from streaming on December 1st. Looks exactly the same as the rest of them until you actually click 'play' and it gives you an error message. It's another in a confounding list of "Uh, you guys know you had an app that functioned, right? Shouldn't that have been the blueprint here?".

I've already written a huge post (again), but the final thought is... well, I don't hate the look of the new app. The look and set-up is actually pretty great for movies (aside from, again, the lack of 'Play from Beginning'). The problem is that they seemed to create an entire infrastructure based on movies and then applied it to TV shows without really thinking about the implications. Half-assed would be the nice term, I think.

[quote name='nasum']it would seem that there was no consumer testing of Netflix at all...[/QUOTE]It wasn't in the beta testing of the new dash, so there wasn't any way to test it.

The UFC app did get tested, so at least that should be working OK when it's released at the end of the month.

So is there anything in this update that free Xbox Live silver users can actually use without having to pay more for gold or pay for cable TV subscriptions not available in all areas?. I refuse to pay for gold because I can do everything on my computer which is sitting right next to my Xbox. I really don't need to pay for facebook, twitter and what not because I have it on my PC. I also have an iPod touch which is usually sitting right next to me when playing Xbox, so if I need something I can look it up on there. Also with gold there is no one playing online for the games I have, so its very pointless for me, and everyone on my friends list just plays Skyrim and MW3 which I don't have any desire to play.

I don't pay for netflix so I have no comment on that, though if I did pay for it I would just stream through the Wii which I also own, since its free to stream on Wii and you have to pay for gold if you want to stream on the Xbox.

I don't have a kinect either, because I only have 3-4 feet of space to use it in and it requires 6-8 feet of space. The Nyko zoom lens doesn't work based on reviews. I don't know anyone around here that has enough space for kinect, the rooms in everyone's houses are just too small. Microsoft did a really poor job by making kinect available only to those that have the required space.

Removing the restart feature and defaulting to autoplay series is pretty asinine and I expect fixes for those. I'm guessing somebody at Netflix decided they somehow were losing money with the party watch feature. Following the trend of PR disasterous business decisions they have made in 6 months I'm not going to be surprised if I'm spot on with that assumption.

Hmm didnt know about the restart, that is super shitty. I dont mind the auto play because you cans still choose the episode you want to watch while its loading...I dont get the change but I dont mind it.

I didnt see a couple of these problem early on because I watch shows in order, I did notice that you cant press RB and skip past the beginning credits of shows anymore which is crap because now I have to fast forward, not have a restart is simply mind boggling.

the ufc app has an update to get it working again. It may just be for people that were in the beta. Oh yeah, it gives ufc 140 for free.

[quote name='goszzy']the ufc app has an update to get it working again. It may just be for people that were in the beta. Oh yeah, it gives ufc 140 for free.[/QUOTE]

Yup, just saw that myself and "purchased" the HD stream for 0.00 :)

[quote name='shrike4242']It wasn't in the beta testing of the new dash, so there wasn't any way to test it.[/QUOTE]

Not strictly in the dash beta, I mean tested at all. As in find a person who uses the service and run it by them. I can't imagine anybody saying that this is better than the at least legible version that was there before.

I will miss the ability to search through shit in alphabetical order. Now I can hold down RT to swift through over 3000 items just in the gamerpics. :applause:

[quote name='Darklurkr23']Absolutely hate this new Dashboard. Feel like I'm on a Phone[/QUOTE]
Dont care for the update either seems slow and clunky kinda like WP7. Yep seems like a slow phone.

Hooray. After this update I can't connect to some friends even though I have an open NAT and he does as well. No problems before the update but now private chat, party chat, and joining games together don't work. Wonderful.

Yeah thats what I have been saying for all the people saying they turned our dashboards into touch screen phones eventhough many of us don't have or want kinects to wave our hands in the air and repeating ourselves to our xboxes. So much wrong with this update but yeah I am not even gonna get in to it. I found a way to get my old netflix back and watch with friends but I am still pissed.

The beacon concept has managed to wear out its welcome in a matter of days. The amount of pop-ups it generates is really overkill. There's no way to specifically disable those notifications, either.

... I hate the new update. I honestly have no idea who looked at that heap of crap and thought it was an improvement. I don't know... just... sucks. Why mess with something that works? Oh well. We'll see.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Hate the new dashboard as well. Metro UI can go die in a fire.

And they can go fuck off if they think I'm using this shit at all with Win8.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, this "Metro" interface is going to have the option to disable it in Windows 8.

I thought I could NOT update my :360: and go online but I can't. If we don't like it, where can we leave feedback?

[quote name='htown01']If we don't like it, where can we leave feedback?[/QUOTE]

They have a forum dedicated to getting feedback on the new dashboard. A lot of people on there are saying that the mods have a really itchy trigger finger with some of the complaint threads, though.

In the meantime folks..use this work around to use the old. Netflix app
The update only added a new netflix it did not erase the old one.
To use the old "not broken" netflix complete with party support Do this... I just did and it works as long as you did not delete any files off your hard drive.
1. Go to http://netflix.com
2. Sign in and click "Your Account" in the top right corner
3. Scroll down and click "Manage Netflix ready devices and computers"
4. Click the "Disconnect Devices" button. Confirm decision when asked
5. Push the guide button on your 360 controller then go left and click the "Quickplay" option
6. Go two spaces to the right and it will list all of click Netflix
7. Netflix will give you a code which you must enter here https:// account.netflix.com/ Activate
( It is important that after doing this that you only select netflix via quickplay on the xbox guide button . If you choose it off of the dashboard it will load the new one again)
Spread this around to your friends and families...

taken from the xbox forums

The old Netflix version actually has Party support? That'd be fantastic if it did. Apparently Netflix removed the Party feature since not enough users were using the thing. Was it really harming them having it in? For a lot of people, like me, it was the reason i got Netflix in the first place.

[quote name='htown01']Don't worry, this "Metro" interface is going to have the option to disable it in Windows 8.

I thought I could NOT update my :360: and go online but I can't. If we don't like it, where can we leave feedback?[/QUOTE]

I'm using the developer preview right now, and it's more like you start in Windows 8 but you can click an 'app' that will take you to a Windows 7 like enviroment

I have many complaints, but my biggest would be the fact that MS is still catering to the SD crowd. The sheer amount of dead space on the left and right sides of the screen is rather annoying.

[quote name='Apollo Creed']I have many complaints, but my biggest would be the fact that MS is still catering to the SD crowd. The sheer amount of dead space on the left and right sides of the screen is rather annoying.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

People like to watch TV while talking to each other? Man, when I'm into a good show I don't want anyone to bother me.

My friend tried to update his old Xbox. A memory unit or something was bad and wouldn't take the Kinect portion of the update, called support and they told him to send it in ($150) or buy a new one. Seems kinda shady by MS to me, some units won't take the Kinect portion of the update, oh just go buy a new one.

[quote name='Thrinn']The beacon concept has managed to wear out its welcome in a matter of days. The amount of pop-ups it generates is really overkill. There's no way to specifically disable those notifications, either.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for answering the question I came in here to ask. If I honestly gave a damn about the when, where and why of what my friends were playing I'd check myself as I have for years. I don't need a beacon bib to get that done. Between those ridiculous pop ups for the laziest gamers known to mankind, inescapable ads the size of my head and extra hurdles clogging up pathways just to even see whether your friends are in a party or not, I'm firmly standing in the "this dash legitimately f*cking sucks" crowd right now.

[quote name='Blade3D']My friend tried to update his old Xbox. A memory unit or something was bad and wouldn't take the Kinect portion of the update, called support and they told him to send it in ($150) or buy a new one. Seems kinda shady by MS to me, some units won't take the Kinect portion of the update, oh just go buy a new one.[/QUOTE]
Memory unit? The memory card, storage or ram? I ask because the Xbox 360 memory card is officially called a memory unit.

If the storage is screwed, he would do well to put on a new hard drive and go from there. If the ram is screwed up and can't take the update or something, then the thing is broken the same as if anything else was broken on it and the standard rules apply.

Here are a list of error codes related to the update he might find useful: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system-updates/software-update-errors

I did have one problem with the update. I kept getting an error that I needed to sign in and download the Kinect update or something. I fixed this by selecting "recover gamertag" and it downloaded the update just fine. I never actually recovered a gamertag. After the update finished, I simply signed in to my existing gamertag.

It's too bad you cannot remove the crap you're not interested in using. I could condense all the garbage down to one or two panels. Now I have to sift through 80% useless shit to get to the stuff I actually care about.

while I'm not real keen on the new look and all the navigating around advertisement boxes - I guess I'll take it just because it now has roaming profiles - now I can use my same profile in the den and the bedroom (without having to physically unplug/plug some storage devise)!

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I really like roaming profiles and cloud saving. I wish they let you customize/organize your XBLA games how you want.[/QUOTE]

They should make it more customizable for gold members. Less ads, organize panels and games as you want.

bread's done
Back