Xbox Live Fall 2011 Dashboard Out Now - 12/06/11.

[quote name='GUNNM']my jack off hand and wiping my ass hand is the same if that one is broken its 3 months of relearning everything[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Got me there.

I hope at some point Microsoft separates Apps and Games data under Storage. Really stinks to have to search through 110+ items.

Anybody else having trouble connecting to Live since the update? Everyday since the update I've had to unplug my router and restart it so Live will connect, even though my Iphone, internet and cable are all working perfectly fine.

I've had no problems connecting to live since the update. I wasn't in the beta so I don't know if that makes a difference. With Netflix I don't get as good a connection with the new dash. Before I always got 4 full bars, now I don't. My connection is even better. Hmm....
Does anyone know when Youtube is supposed to be available to non beta users?

[quote name='garrett007']My profile is on the preview program. Can I sign into another console that is not in the preview program?[/QUOTE]

Yes

[quote name='Dump1eSti1tskin']Anybody else having trouble connecting to Live since the update? Everyday since the update I've had to unplug my router and restart it so Live will connect, even though my Iphone, internet and cable are all working perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]

Yes. It would log me out after 5 minutes and would rarely connect again after that. I spent an hour going through various router and Xbox settings.

What finally worked is going into the network settings on the 360 and selecting "forget my network" or whatever it's called. Reboot the xbox, go back into settings and select your network again and it should work right.

[quote name='Corvin']Yes. It would log me out after 5 minutes and would rarely connect again after that. I spent an hour going through various router and Xbox settings.

What finally worked is going into the network settings on the 360 and selecting "forget my network" or whatever it's called. Reboot the xbox, go back into settings and select your network again and it should work right.[/QUOTE]
I did the exact thing and so far so good. Thanks for the help!

I hate everytime there is a new dashboard update. I got a red ring when the NXE update hit and I get nervous everytime I have to download something that isn't a game patch.

I'm not sure yet, but I think cloud saves *are* backed up to the HDD. I was going through my games that I'd moved saves to the cloud and copying them back to the HDD for backup, and the games I'd played since moving the save to the cloud already had a copy on the HDD. Also when I copied other games saves from the cloud to my HDD manually, it then said "In sync" instead of "Cloud only".

I'm not clear on whether I can play off the HDD and then the save will then sync to the cloud as well, or if I have to choose to load the save on the cloud in order to get it to sync progress to the HDD. Need to experiment.

Yeah, MS has done a piss poor job of explaining exactly how the cloud is supposed to work. The "Cloud Saving 101" vid on the dash doesn't tell you jack other than it's a third option for storage.

Youtube is now up for non beta people. Not bad, not bad at all. Still takes too many screens to get to where you want to go, just like the cluttered dashboard.

[quote name='HydroX']Youtube is now up for non beta people. Not bad, not bad at all. Still takes too many screens to get to where you want to go, just like the cluttered dashboard.[/QUOTE]

and it requires GOLD status too.. such bollocks.

Two minor complaints, but I'm liking the youtube app. I wish there was a button to add a space instead of moving the cursor all the way over, and I wish you could have your subscriptions on there. Then I could here my music in stereo instead of my crappy laptop speakers.

VERY disappointed that the youtube app requires gold, I refuse to pay for gold, and this will make me even less likely to pay for it. The more microsoft locks down, the less I want to give them my money. I already spent major $$$ to get the console!

Also its not all of youtube, you can only view certain videos.

Thankfully my desk is right next to my TV, so all I have to do is slide my chair over a bit if I want to access the full youtube on my PC. Its very important for me to be able to access all of youtube, because the videos I want to view are usually the ones that aren't supported by anything else but a PC.

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but why wouldn't you have access to all YouTube videos? I hope it is not severely limited. I was looking forward to watching First Orbit on my couch.

[quote name='SaraAB']VERY disappointed that the youtube app requires gold, I refuse to pay for gold, and this will make me even less likely to pay for it. The more microsoft locks down, the less I want to give them my money. I already spent major $$$ to get the console!

Thankfully my desk is right next to my TV, so all I have to do is slide my chair over a bit if I want to access the full youtube on my PC. Its very important for me to be able to access all of youtube, because the videos I want to view are usually the ones that aren't supported by anything else but a PC.[/QUOTE]

So then why are you disappointed you have to be gold?

[quote name='SaraAB']VERY disappointed that the youtube app requires gold, I refuse to pay for gold, and this will make me even less likely to pay for it. The more microsoft locks down, the less I want to give them my money. I already spent major $$$ to get the console!

Thankfully my desk is right next to my TV, so all I have to do is slide my chair over a bit if I want to access the full youtube on my PC. Its very important for me to be able to access all of youtube, because the videos I want to view are usually the ones that aren't supported by anything else but a PC.[/QUOTE]

If you already refuse to pay for gold, then why does it matter if you still won't get it with a youtube app?

[quote name='JStryke']Two minor complaints, but I'm liking the youtube app. I wish there was a button to add a space instead of moving the cursor all the way over, and I wish you could have your subscriptions on there. Then I could here my music in stereo instead of my crappy laptop speakers.[/QUOTE]
I added my sub just fine.
[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but why wouldn't you have access to all YouTube videos? I hope it is not severely limited. I was looking forward to watching First Orbit on my couch.[/QUOTE]

You can search for it

The FiOS app is up. As someone else mentioned earlier, while kind of cool, it's also kind of pointless. I already have a cable box hooked up to my TV, and there certainly aren't enough channels available for me to say, "Hey, I can rid of the box in this room." The cost per month of "renting" the equipment is so small anyway that I couldn't imagine wanting to have my 360 on all the time just to save, say, $60 a year.

And would people stop crying about needing Gold to access a certain feature? It's $60 a year, and as a CAG, you shouldn't be paying that much, anyway. If you want the freaking feature so bad, pony up.

I'm in the middle of my three years of gold from the Netflix fiasco a year and a half ago. There are ways to get Gold for cheap/free. Don't be a LAG (LazyAssGamer) and start being a CAG!

Getting that UFC event for free was tits. I hope they do another beta test thing for the Lesnar/Overeem fight.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm not sure yet, but I think cloud saves *are* backed up to the HDD. I was going through my games that I'd moved saves to the cloud and copying them back to the HDD for backup, and the games I'd played since moving the save to the cloud already had a copy on the HDD. Also when I copied other games saves from the cloud to my HDD manually, it then said "In sync" instead of "Cloud only".

I'm not clear on whether I can play off the HDD and then the save will then sync to the cloud as well, or if I have to choose to load the save on the cloud in order to get it to sync progress to the HDD. Need to experiment.[/QUOTE]
They're not backed up. I played a game for the first time with the cloud storage as the destination and there were no saves on my hard drive. It doesn't offer any way to have the save on both the hard drive and the cloud, which would be my ideal scenario since I want to have a local copy of the save that I can use even if I'm not online. There's a page on Xbox.com that sort of explains how it works, but at most, it caches the save on the drive until it can upload it to the cloud and that cached file isn't anything that you can actually use yourself.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/game-saves-in-the-cloud/cloud-save-games

[quote name='thrustbucket']I added my sub just fine.[/QUOTE]

I added my account just fine and can see recommendations, but I don't see a spot for subscriptions anywhere unless I'm just blind.

[quote name='Blade3D']If you already refuse to pay for gold, then why does it matter if you still won't get it with a youtube app?[/QUOTE]

Because it's obvious.. If Microsoft owned YouTube, it would most likely be free.

I can understand If i have to pay to play multiplayer or to use some Pay-to-Use apps.

But for things that I can go on my pc or other devices for free? That's just a money grab.

Yeah that is my point, I can use youtube for free on my PC, yes it would be nice if I could use it on my Xbox 360 though I don't know how much use I would actually get out of it other than a random use or 2 here and there. But its not something I am going to pay to use when I have my PC within arm's length of my TV. Same with Facebook, Twitter and whatever else they offer. The TV apps are pointless if you already have a cable box, andi if you can access those apps you probably have a cable box. Not to mention I have an iPod touch, which means I get all those things in the palm of my hand while playing Xbox. When I am on youtube I rely heavily on the sidebar to search for videos that I might want to watch after I get into a category or group of things I want to watch, and I don't know if the Xbox offers that feature. But that feature is essential to me.

Besides with Tudou and Youku I really don't use youtube anymore, they delete too many videos while Tudou and youku keep most of them and have a wider selection of things that I want to view.

As far as Gold goes, I don't have a netflix account, I don't plan on ever having one. I am completely saturated in terms of TV, video games and media so I don't really need another thing, especially if I have to pay for it. I tried to play with people on gold, however when I tried I could not get a match due to no one playing online, its the same as the Wii, no one plays any of the games I care about playing. If you are doing Call of Duty or Halo then fine, but I don't even like those games so that is pointless. If I could get a match on the games I play I might consider paying for it, but since people don't use every game on there... its very pointless.

You're 100% correct. Most of this stuff is pointless. I never use any of these apps on the 360, except for Netflix. All of this other stuff involves things that I can already do better on my PC. But the reality is, it's all fluff. Gold is for multiplayer and Netflix. It's not like they make you pay JUST for YouTube, like $2 to download the app. It's fluff to try and make Gold a little more appealing. Besides, if it's all crap (which, again, I agree with), why do you care if it's for Gold members only?

I've been using ESPN3 a lot, actually. I like all the odd (or just less common in the US) sports on there and I'd rather watch them on my TV than on my computer. So we get a lot of use out of both Netflix and ESPN3. I'm not sure how much I'll use the YouTube app.

@Frisky - then I'm not sure how I got a save for, for example, MW3 on my HDD. I had moved it (didn't copy) to the cloud and then started playing it on the new Xbox from the cloud. When I tried to manually copy it to the HDD it said there was already a save on the HDD. Also when you manually copy a save from the cloud to your HDD, it says "In sync" when you look at the save on the cloud, whereas before it said "Cloud only". I will have to test it out further.

[quote name='SaraAB']Yeah that is my point, I can use youtube for free on my PC.[/QUOTE]

So broadband is free up in New York? Awesome.

[quote name='Corvin']So broadband is free up in New York? Awesome.[/QUOTE]

Well I would also have to pay for broadband to use the Xbox Live service, as even if I was paying for Gold I would still not be able to use anything if I was not paying for broadband. Moreover I would not be able to connect to Xbox Live at all to even subscribe if I was not paying for broadband.

But youtube does not charge me anything extra to view youtube on my PC. I do not have to have a subscription to youtube to view youtube.

[quote name='Blade3D']If you already refuse to pay for gold, then why does it matter if you still won't get it with a youtube app?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If you do not see the value in live before what does it matter if other people who do find value get added content. Developing the software so the app could exist is not free.

I tried the YouTube app last night and I guess it's alright. Well, it's probably good, but the only time I ever watch anything on YouTube is when somebody posts or sends a link to something there. Which doesn't seem too relevant to the Xbox... though... does the Facebook and/or Twitter apps send you to the YouTube app if you "click" a youtube link? Still wouldn't be too useful, though, as that's only one type of content that those apps would then be able to, indirectly, display, and that wouldn't be enough to get me to use the Facebook or Twitter apps.

Right, but I was wondering if now links to youtube would work, and would dump you out to the Youtube app. That would be a little more useful. Though not much.

[quote name='crunchewy']Right, but I was wondering if now links to youtube would work, and would dump you out to the Youtube app. That would be a little more useful. Though not much.[/QUOTE]

I was really hoping for Iheartradio to be able to run as a background app, much like the dashboard media/music player.

[quote name='crunchewy']Right, but I was wondering if now links to youtube would work, and would dump you out to the Youtube app. That would be a little more useful. Though not much.[/QUOTE]
What I'm saying is that they're not links, just text. They don't really seem to have any backend stuff to turn links into things that can launch other apps to show that content, so I don't see them putting in the effort to make that work.

[quote name='hazardman89']Has anyone else had disc read issues since the update? My xbox wont read any type of disc anymore...[/QUOTE]

I am part of the beta and my xbox(slim) stopped reading discs as well (warranty is barely past the year mark..) I think since the update, the discs spin faster also when installed they still will spin, when they shouldn't.

[quote name='SaraAB']Well I would also have to pay for broadband to use the Xbox Live service, as even if I was paying for Gold I would still not be able to use anything if I was not paying for broadband. Moreover I would not be able to connect to Xbox Live at all to even subscribe if I was not paying for broadband.[/QUOTE]

My point was that it's a value-ad. You don't get YouTube for free on your PC, it's just one of the many things you can do once you have service, similar to Live.

[quote name='js1']I am part of the beta and my xbox(slim) stopped reading discs as well (warranty is barely past the year mark..) I think since the update, the discs spin faster also when installed they still will spin, when they shouldn't.[/QUOTE]

Oh man. This is not good. I just got the update last night, and played a game that's installed to my hdd, but I didn't actually notice if it was spinning. I will check it out next time. The whole reason for installing to to save wear and tear on the console.

Seems that it was also an issue for the previous update:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/18/xbox-360-firmware-update-causing-disc-read-errors/

Has anyone noticed an odd screen when you power off your XBox? It's not snow, but 1/4 second flash of black with green vertical lines just as the system shuts off. It has done it on both the new and old system designs.

[quote name='js1']I am part of the beta and my xbox(slim) stopped reading discs as well (warranty is barely past the year mark..) I think since the update, the discs spin faster also when installed they still will spin, when they shouldn't.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shieryda']Oh man. This is not good. I just got the update last night, and played a game that's installed to my hdd, but I didn't actually notice if it was spinning. I will check it out next time. The whole reason for installing to to save wear and tear on the console.

Seems that it was also an issue for the previous update:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/18/xbox-360-firmware-update-causing-disc-read-errors/[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if you guys are talking about a different issue entirely, but newer games (Gears 3 and beyond I believe) have updated security. Installed games will spin for up to three minutes to verify that you are playing a legitimate copy of the game. It should stop after that.

Thanks for that info Trakan - I'd noticed some games doing that and was wondering. Kind of annoying, but at least I know what's causing it now.

[quote name='Trakan']I'm not sure if you guys are talking about a different issue entirely, but newer games (Gears 3 and beyond I believe) have updated security. Installed games will spin for up to three minutes to verify that you are playing a legitimate copy of the game. It should stop after that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I knew about that. Older gamer were still giving me issues.

bread's done
Back