Xbox Live Gold Price Increase 11/1 - Subscription Deals Inside

[quote name='Thomas96']your console loses its greatest feature.[/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ man are you serious?

Am I so old that I could give a crap if they ever make consoles online anymore?

Its been a great ride but online has not been the end all be all of games.

Consoles and VIDEO GAMES in general were awesome wayyyyy before the advent of online play.

Like I said, maybe at 31 years of age, married with 2 kids, I could care less so long as the games are GOOD, and the multi-player facet adds to it to be gravy but not the end all be all.

[quote name='uglyteradon']I totally understand why people are upset but I fail to see how this will stop Amazon from offering it for half that price. After all, we are all on this website for exactly this sort of reason.[/QUOTE]

Amazon just raised the price to $45 from $40 after the announcement today

[quote name='slickkill77']If you play shooters it really is. The ps3 controller is garbage for fps's in my opinion. If you don't like a controller for certain games then paying for the better service would definitely be worth it.[/QUOTE]

Well it really depends on the game. I tried Scott Pilgrim on PS3, but just couldnt get used to it on Xbox 360 controller. With the PS3 I can get the trigger which makes it at least useable.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Well I bit the bullet and bought a card for $40 from Walmart. I will most likely take MS up on their $39.99 deal. That would get me to May of 2013 for $80 with what I had left. By then who knows what xbox live will look like. I have been a GOLD member since Jan 2007 and never complained before this so I guess I am not going to start today.[/QUOTE]

That's not a bad idea. I was just going to hold out for one last $30-35 deal between now and Nov. since I'm only paid through January.

But wouldn't hurt to jump on the MS deal, then another $30-40 card before Nov and at least be set through Jan 2013.

[quote name='62t']Amazon just raised the price to $45 from $40 after the announcement today
[/quote]

It was $39.96 earlier this evening, well after the announcement.

Those sold out from Amazon, and now it's $45 as it's from a 3rd party seller--Electronics Expo--and also not eligible for Prime.

So I'd think it would be back down to $40 until Nov. 1st when the price goes up when Amazon gets some back in stock themselves. And hopefully there will be a $30-35 deal between now and then!

Come November first I imagine Amazon's price will be $49.96 with occasional $40-45 deals as the cards will cost them more so that $10 increase will get passed on to consumers.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I do agree. And I'm not at all happy about it on principle. Money wise, $10 a year is nothing to me. But it does annoy me that they're raising prices without adding any value to it, while still largely offering things that are freely available on other platforms.

If they're going to raise the price, they need to add value to it. Be it new services, discounts on DLC and XBLA games for gold users vs. silver users etc.[/QUOTE]

Prices for goods and services go up all the time without adding any extra value so why should we expect Live to be any different? I mean the price has held steady at $50 since 2002 so an increase was bound to happen sooner or later. Isn't Microsoft's gaming division still losing a ton of money as well? Don't think anybody should be surprised by this.

[quote name='Killbomb']Prices for goods and services go up all the time without adding any extra value so why should we expect Live to be any different? I mean the price has held steady at $50 since 2002 so an increase was bound to happen sooner or later. Isn't Microsoft's gaming division still losing a ton of money as well? Don't think anybody should be surprised by this.[/QUOTE]

I get that. But the difference here is that I could get all the features I use on Xbox live for free on other platforms if I owned them.

That's what makes it sting. If these features cost $50 on the PS3 and just got raised to $60, that would be a bit easier to swallow.

As is, it's always stunk to pay $30-35 after deals to play games online a few times a year and stream netflix movies when PS3 owners can do all that for free. So raising the price while adding nothing is more salt in the wound.

But the games keep me on the 360 as I love Gears, Mass Effect, Halo etc. and don't care for GT, God of War, and the Sony exclusives so I just have to grin and bear it.

I will say, if I eventually upgrade to a newer Blu Ray player that has Netflix built in I'd probably not renew live and just cut out the little online gaming I do.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Could this be a glorified strategy on getting a ton of people signing up for Live this month? Drop the price and state it will raise in a month gets the fear purchases.[/QUOTE]
Like I said: scare tactics to increase revenue. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']Jesus Christ man are you serious?

Am I so old that I could give a crap if they ever make consoles online anymore?

Its been a great ride but online has not been the end all be all of games.

Consoles and VIDEO GAMES in general were awesome wayyyyy before the advent of online play.

Like I said, maybe at 31 years of age, married with 2 kids, I could care less so long as the games are GOOD, and the multi-player facet adds to it to be gravy but not the end all be all.[/QUOTE]

Assuming you're 31, we're the same age, and I for sure can say that online gaming is one of greatest features of todays consoles. I love fighting games, and with the SNES I played hours of Super Street Fighter II vs the COMPUTER... man it feels so good to be able to play these fighting games versus real people. Games to me are about competition and online brings competition. So imo that makes online the greatest feature of today's consoles. [it sure isn't motion controls that makes the consoles great]

Man, I hope nobody on CAG actually subs to LIVE GOLD via the standard subscription model. Discounted sub cards FOR THE WINZ!

It's not an age thing so much as it is how you play/enjoy games.

I'm also 31. I enjoy online gaming somewhat, but not a ton as I've always been more of a single player gamer. I've never been that into competitive multiplayer games as I play to relax.

I love co-op though, and Live would be worth it for me for that if a couple of my gaming buddies I used to do local co-op on 360 games with before moving would get 360s of their own and live accounts.

[quote name='Dissolve']Man, I hope nobody on CAG actually subs to LIVE GOLD via the standard subscription model. Discounted sub cards FOR THE WINZ![/QUOTE]

Few here do pay full price for sure.

But again, it's like that the sale prices will go up to. We're used to paying $30-35 for cards, after the price hike the best deals will probably be $40-45. Retailers like Amazon will have to pay more to get the cards from MS and that cost will get passed on to us consumers.

i hate arguing with people who except this crap or sheep into it. there only argument is that psn sucks and that im poor (which i have live)

does anyone have a quote that describes EVERYHING about how uncool a monthly fee for xbox live is and anything else in quick pwning detail. im not good with words and xbots/sheep always just say psn sucks and isnt up to xbox live (which doesn't justify xbox lives fee anyway).

Well, this is disappointing. I can't speak for all of them, but I'd expect some female gamers to need no more incentive than this to stop renewing. I rarely play games online because it's just not worth the hassle. The cost is even higher if you are a 2 (or more) membership household. There's the $99 family plan for up to four memberships, but it's not much of a savings if you only need two memberships. erg

I like to have the option to play online once in a while... and I use Netflix and like to get some DLC here and there...$10/year isn't that much more, no.... and I really prefer playing games on the xBox vs. the PS3, but this is enough to convince me that it's at least worth worth switching over to watching Netflix on the PS3. I was getting worried about having the xBox turned on so much lately anyway - we are on console #4, after all. Switching over to doing more the PS3 should at least extend the life of the hairdryer - I mean, xBox.

[quote name='timesplitt']i hate arguing with people who except this crap or sheep into it. there only argument is that psn sucks and that im poor (which i have live)

does anyone have a quote that describes EVERYHING about how uncool a monthly fee for xbox live is and anything else in quick pwning detail. im not good with words and xbots/sheep always just say psn sucks and isnt up to xbox live (which doesn't justify xbox lives fee anyway).[/QUOTE]

It's a monthly fee for a service that in your eyes is a poor value proposition. Now go, pwn whom you may.

There currently is a 1 month for a $1. It will probably be enough for me since I'll probably play halo for a month. I won't be getting any additional maps any time soon.

Funny how MS does this just before Halo Reach... The worst part of all of this is that the prices for online play that Sony and Nintendo can charge next gen will be higher too. So really if you want to play online on more than 1 system next gen you will be paying $40 for Live720 & another $40 for the other systems (if you get each on sale). Or you know it could've been free for all had Live never charged you to begin with... $80 a year for 2 systems, $120 for 3. It's all good!

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I really wish M$ would go the PS way just charge like $20(why would they go free when making money?) for online play and have Gold+ for people who like twittering and facebooking, since I, and I'm assuming others, don't have any use for tweets and walls.

This is some serious bullshit.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='its delicious']I resent having to pay for the bullshit features & options that I don't use. Time to bring back the subscription tiers.[/QUOTE]

Too many 360 core users don't want tiers even if it could save them money.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258296&highlight=xbox+live+tiered

[quote name='mitch079']$.83 cents a month/increase isn't that much. They've added a bunch of features over the years and never raised the price before - Netflix, Last.fm, Twitter, Facebook, Zune[/QUOTE]

Let companies charge me more for the same thing, it's not that much! They're already making huge profits off Live, they need more profits though because... because they do!

[quote name='Ronin317'] Uh...are you really standing behind that weak analogy? It's an exclusive service...they provide messaging, both text and voice, pictures, hosting...and Amazon is a website. Absolutely ridiculous comparison. [/QUOTE]

So they also provide some of the community features of facebook, which is also free. The point of the analogy wasn't to equate live with amazon feature for feature. The point was to try and root out what Microsoft is actually charging us for as a service. You've brought up a few more bandwidth costs, I say they still aren't worth charging $60 a year. There is a reason, Facebook and other community websites are free, giving a company access to all that focused personal info is a gold mine for potential advertisers.

Also the fact that Amazon is a website is irrelevant.

[quote name='Ronin317']And someone else said it best here...who the fuck is paying full price for a year of live on CAG?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter that you are getting a discount, your discounted price will likely also increase by $10.

[quote name='SuperFire Pro J']What??!!

This bites the big one... I don't even use netflix, twitter, or facebook. I just play games god forbid that is all I want to do.[/QUOTE]

It's the same reason why you can't pick and choose what cable stations you want to get, other than as packages.

[quote name='Killbomb']Isn't Microsoft's gaming division still losing a ton of money as well? Don't think anybody should be surprised by this.[/QUOTE]

No. Live alone made MS ~$1.2 billion last year.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...ably-topped-1-billion-for-the-first-time.html

[quote name='Ma12kez']Kind of lame, but whatever.[/QUOTE]

This way of thinking is why this shit happens. Let the rich exploit you. It's too much trouble to care about it. Just pay the increase and convince yourself it doesn't bother you. Sorry for being hostile, but it really irritates me.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'd say the jury is still out on how steep amazon (and other) discounts will be starting 11/1.

Right now I imagine this will happen:
1) people will re-up on their XBL subs while the price is still $50, and seek discounted rates at amazon and elsewhere.
2) 12 months or so from now, when their sub is about to end, the anger of the cost increase they have right now will subside, and they'll re-up at the higher rate. Little to no decline in subscriptions (of current subscribers) for XBL at all.

Also, I'd pay $100 a year if XBL got ESPN 8: The Ocho.[/QUOTE]

You could not be more right. The insulting thing is that rather than add more features to Live right now to compete against people thinking of subscribing to PS Plus, they did this, getting people to subscribe right now because it's cheaper than Live's future price and then get them to renew because their anger will be gone. Downright sickening business at work. 0% thought about their userbase, 100% thought about their profits.

[quote name='J7.']Downright sickening business at work. 0% thought about their userbase, 100% thought about their profits.[/QUOTE]

So Microsoft also owns the Pittsburgh Pirates? ;)

The funny thing is if MS only increase the price for 1 month and 3 months and keep the 1 year at the same price there won't be this kind of anger. The would be keeping the core fanbase happy while making extra money from casual gamers who is going to sign up this fall.

is there a way I can check how long my sub lasts? I could swear I pumped my sub like 3 years when cards were flying around for 30 bucks and everyone was claiming there was going to be price drop on XBL. How wrong those folks turned out to be.

[quote name='J7.']
This way of thinking is why this shit happens. Let the rich exploit you. It's too much trouble to care about it. Just pay the increase and convince yourself it doesn't bother you. Sorry for being hostile, but it really irritates me.
[/QUOTE]

Aren't you always getting irritated when people don't feel as outraged as you? Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else, I dunno.
But regardless, there are two options for Xbox 360 fans now. Keep subscribing, or don't. You can't expect everyone to boycott it because of a rate hike. Price increases bother us all, but if we like the service enough, we'll keep using it.

For us CAG, this is not too much of a problem; no one here plays full price for live.

The problem is with the other 99% of the xbox live userbase who lets mommies/their credit cards sit on xboxlive with autorenew turned on and don't care. MS sees this of course and thinks realizes their plan went off without a hitch. Heck, us buying the points at discount doesn't change anything either, hurts the store not MS.

But we are gamers, we dont really have a choice. My ass is already quite lubed up for ya MS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killbomb
Isn't Microsoft's gaming division still losing a ton of money as well? Don't think anybody should be surprised by this.
No. Live alone made MS ~$1.2 billion last year.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...irst-time.html

The article you linked us to actually explains WHY they need to raise the price. They barely make anything on hardware and need Live to make their game division worth-while. I guess they could charge $450 for 360 and make games $80 instead and give us all free Gold Memberships. I am not a 360 fanboy but I do understand you have to make a profit or else the division has no reason to exist.

Also, 600 million is from subscription sales to only about 1/2 of the customer base. The other 600 million was to movies, TV shows, arcade games and DLC. There are plenty of people spending money on Live who only have silver memberships.

The 1.2 billion is revenue and NOT profit. The gross margin estimated would indicate that Live made a profit of about 780 million and there was an average markup of 185% of the products on Live. Now that sounds like a lot and it is but its the first year they have had a huge profit. Considering they made no profit from 2002 to 2007 and only saw small profits in 2008 and 2009 I don't think we have been ripped off that bad. Sony may be free but they are losing money like mad. This can only go on for so long before the company has to do something to raise revenue. Its either a bigger front end price or charge more to keep using the service after purchase. Either way we are spending that money.

[quote name='eastx']Aren't you always getting irritated when people don't feel as outraged as you? Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else, I dunno.
But regardless, there are two options for Xbox 360 fans now. Keep subscribing, or don't. You can't expect everyone to boycott it because of a rate hike. Price increases bother us all, but if we like the service enough, we'll keep using it.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I am. Tons of people feeling the same way about something doesn't make it correct. History has shown that. The point is that I don't expect people to boycott it. I want people to be aware to not just convince themselves that it's not a problem when stuff like this happens by corporations where the rich take advantage of consumers. You may still support the business model, but maybe you'll be more conscious about this type of thing when it comes to other products or services and decide not to buy into it. That is what I'd like to see and it makes the effort minuscule in comparison to the future benefit of it.

Of course, when people find themselves having to make choices in life that they dislike they convince themselves that it's really not that bad so they can avoid the cognitive dissonance. In fact the more you pay for the service the more your mind will try to convince yourself that you like it. I'm engaging in lowering my cognitive dissonance too, so I'm not without fault, by trying to help convince you what they're doing is wrong.

I will not renew Live after my sub ends (I was already heading in that direction before this) because I don't find it worth it and I don't want to support such policies given that free options are available for gaming online. I want to try and keep them free and not support all of them costing money. I feel that's much better in the longterm.

We all want Sony and Microsoft to make great systems and provide awesome content but when they actually charge us what is costs them to run such a business we are outraged. Neither Sony (PS3 only) nor Microsoft have made much money if any with their games division. Sony was losing money when the PS3 was $600 and may still be losing money on every sale. Plus they are losing money on PSN right now. You can only lose for so long before you either charge more OR you stop supporting the system. Either way, we will all complain about it.

I wonder if my boss gets this bent out of shape when he has to give me a cost of living raise every year even though I am doing the same exact job.

At any rate, file me under "whatever" on this. I knew there would be much internet rage when I got the e-mail today at work. There are far too many things that I am required to purchase and pay for to support my family that constantly go up in price. So I am not going to fret or rage about a $10/year hike on something completely optional to everyone.

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=50957

It is an old article but it states MS lost about 7.2 billion dollars getting Xbox and Xbox 360 and Live off the ground from 2002-2007. During that entire time Live was $50 and even with profits over the last 3 years they are still in the red when it come to the xbox consoles. The extra $10 represents about 125 million in revenue each year which would take 60 years to recoup the 7.2 billion lost. I know MS is the big bad meanie but no one here would run a division/company that was losing money.

[quote name='cancerman1120']
The article you linked us to actually explains WHY they need to raise the price. They barely make anything on hardware and need Live to make their game division worth-while. I guess they could charge $450 for 360 and make games $80 instead and give us all free Gold Memberships. I am not a 360 fanboy but I do understand you have to make a profit or else the division has no reason to exist.

Also, 600 million is from subscription sales to only about 1/2 of the customer base. The other 600 million was to movies, TV shows, arcade games and DLC. There are plenty of people spending money on Live who only have silver memberships.

The 1.2 billion is revenue and NOT profit. The gross margin estimated would indicate that Live made a profit of about 780 million and there was an average markup of 185% of the products on Live. Now that sounds like a lot and it is but its the first year they have had a huge profit. Considering they made no profit from 2002 to 2007 and only saw small profits in 2008 and 2009 I don't think we have been ripped off that bad. Sony may be free but they are losing money like mad. This can only go on for so long before the company has to do something to raise revenue. Its either a bigger front end price or charge more to keep using the service after purchase. Either way we are spending that money.[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked Nintendo was much more profitable without subscription fees and Sony has done well considering the gamble they made, their missteps, and the economy. Companies have thrived without making profit on their hardware by giving gamers the best thing they could ask for... great games. It's why Sony is doing well right now. I would rather have MS profit by making great games instead of them charging me for stuff that is free everywhere else.

Yes it is revenue not profit, but that number is huge and the profit margin for Live is extremely high. Since the profit margin is so high, they're effectively milking you hardcore now since they already were before... The no profit you bring up from 2002-2007 is for their entire division NOT for Live. Without Live that would've been much worse. They rely on a business model of charging you for something that you should not be charged for and that is their mistake. You shouldn't have to pay because they developed an unfair model. There is a problem when consumers say, "I don't think we have been ripped off that bad", as you just have.

Sony wasn't losing money because of PSN as they make publishers pay not consumers. I'd rather have a corporation make other rich companies pay than tell me to foot the bill... The larger front end price of PS3 is entirely based on the hardware components. They're not using it to make a huge profit margin.

The email I just got from MS is very telling. "This holiday, Xbox LIVE is adding new Gold features, including ESPN and Video Kinect, with Hulu Plus coming on Xbox LIVE in 2011." According to them those features are supposed to justify the increased cost as they make this point numerous times in the email sent to announce the increased fee. But I've been able to do video chat for a while now on PS3 and they will have had Hulu Plus 6-12 months before Live, and it was all free because it is an open-based format.

[quote name='cancerman1120']We all want Sony and Microsoft to make great systems and provide awesome content but when they actually charge us what is costs them to run such a business we are outraged. Neither Sony (PS3 only) nor Microsoft have made much money if any with their games division. Sony was losing money when the PS3 was $600 and may still be losing money on every sale. Plus they are losing money on PSN right now. You can only lose for so long before you either charge more OR you stop supporting the system. Either way, we will all complain about it.[/QUOTE]

PS3 is profitable now. How do you know PSN is losing money? Publishers pay a share of it.

[quote name='cancerman1120']http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=50957

It is an old article but it states MS lost about 7.2 billion dollars getting Xbox and Xbox 360 and Live off the ground from 2002-2007. During that entire time Live was $50 and even with profits over the last 3 years they are still in the red when it come to the xbox consoles. The extra $10 represents about 125 million in revenue each year which would take 60 years to recoup the 7.2 billion lost. I know MS is the big bad meanie but no one here would run a division/company that was losing money.[/QUOTE]

Their plan was to lose money in order to get into the industry. They knew they would not profit for a long time because they chose that route to begin with.

[quote name='cancerman1120']We all want Sony and Microsoft to make great systems and provide awesome content but when they actually charge us what is costs them to run such a business we are outraged. Neither Sony (PS3 only) nor Microsoft have made much money if any with their games division. Sony was losing money when the PS3 was $600 and may still be losing money on every sale. Plus they are losing money on PSN right now. You can only lose for so long before you either charge more OR you stop supporting the system. Either way, we will all complain about it.[/QUOTE]

PS3 is profitable now. How do you know PSN is losing money? Publishers pay a share of it.

[quote name='cancerman1120']http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=50957

It is an old article but it states MS lost about 7.2 billion dollars getting Xbox and Xbox 360 and Live off the ground from 2002-2007. During that entire time Live was $50 and even with profits over the last 3 years they are still in the red when it come to the xbox consoles. The extra $10 represents about 125 million in revenue each year which would take 60 years to recoup the 7.2 billion lost. I know MS is the big bad meanie but no one here would run a division/company that was losing money.[/QUOTE]

Their plan was to lose money in order to get into the industry. They knew they would not profit for a long time because they chose that route to begin with.

J7-

I agree with you that maybe the value in Live is not there but my point was only to say that if we want Microsoft to continue making Xbox 360s or whatever the next gen console is we need to let them have some sort of profit no matter where they derive it from. More expensive hardware and software titles is a solution maybe.

"PS3 is profitable now. How do you know PSN is losing money? Publishers pay a share of it."

The article you posted alluded to that.

[quote name='cancerman1120']J7-

I agree with you that maybe the value in Live is not there but my point was only to say that if we want Microsoft to continue making Xbox 360s or whatever the next gen console is we need to let them have some sort of profit no matter where they derive it from. More expensive hardware and software titles is a solution maybe.

"PS3 is profitable now. How do you know PSN is losing money? Publishers pay a share of it."

The article you posted alluded to that.[/QUOTE]

It's true they need it to profit but my point is even so it shouldn't be done by milking people with 65% profit margin off Live even before the $10 increase. It should be over 70% or even over 75% by next year. Investing in making better games is the best thing for gamers. They don't do much of that (1st party games).

All it has regarding PSN losing money is Pachter's guess. Guess what else is in the article though.

"To boost future revenue, Xbox Live struck content deals with Walt Disney Co.’s ESPN and Activision Blizzard Inc. and introduced a family subscription that gives four memberships for the price of two. Its Kinect device, which lets users play games by movement rather than with a controller, will also fuel sales, Friar said. Microsoft probably can increase Xbox Live sales by a rate of “mid-teens to 20 percent” a year, she said."

Basically, MS paid for timed exclusivity for Activision map packs to make even more money in the future and drive more subscriptions. And how did they afford to do that? With the money from the $10 increase in Xbox Live. So just like getting consumers to subscribe now with the lower price so that by the time they need to renew they won't be as angry (instead of bringing more features to stop people from subscribing to PS Plus), they used the same strategy there, i.e. making you pay more now to fund something that will make them more money in the future with absolutely no regard for their userbase. In this way they don't profit because they're giving you what you want, they profit by taking advantage of you.

I am unhappy with the increase. I wish they had put the cost on some other entity.

Unfortunately bandwidth costs money, and the model XBL has the price being paid by the users.

That's the reason not every game has a demo on PSN. For PSN demos, publishers has to pay for the bandwidth, and if they don't think it would be profitable you don't see a demo, whereas every game on XBLA has a demo.

I was already checking Amazon S3 (one of the cheapest cloud storage systems), and downloading a 2GB file (recent XBLA demos are around this size) costs $0.15, and if you get 20 demos a year (even silver users), it would cost ~$5 for MS. (That's probably the reason they remove the auto download of the newly released arcade games, previously games were 40MB, and downlading them all would have no effect).

Factor in other stuff (like matchmaking, video, etc), you get a larger bill. Still they should have at least 50-100% profit margin per user. That's where my unhappiness about the situation comes in.

OMG $10 a month then my netflix stream cost a month is kinda not worth it now for gold. I guess when the prices jack up and sub runs out i will be going back to silver for awhile and stream netflix on my pc. Thank god i have my pc on my hd tv hooked up...

I would pay the hike in prices if MS actually started to clean up the idiots that make playing on live a nightmare at times. I never put my mic in for a year now when i play halo 3 cause every game has one or more people that just play bad or go bonkers on the mic. Yes you can mute them but it becomes a hassle to keep muting 1/4 of the people you play with on halo 3. Then you got people cheating with modded controllers on mw2/halo 3 and even red dead redemption of all games. Then you got the jtaggers which really ruin it for the rest of us that do not cheat. If they are not cutting down on the trouble makers then the price increase is a joke.

Then you got them charging us to play on future cod games online? Then they have this new thing where you rent or buy a used sports game you need the code to play online with big portions of the games. Hell this ruins the resell value on sports games but man are they milking us bad. I spend about $50-$100 on ms points a month the last 5-6 months so there is more money spent on live.

I do not know i am addicted to party chats and having the option to play some games like RDR on free roam.

The content that is free on live is a joke to now what ever happened to the free cheap movie themes and other non premium stuff? They need to add more content besides espn and other stuff.

I tend to go on japan and uk accounts often and they seem to be in the same boat. I did get a free batman AS uk exclusive map for free. I love the free gi joe movie theme on uk i believe as well and still use it over my premium themes.

The big picture is all the stuff they are adding is nice and all but i doubt i will use most of it like espn. Now i know why they are trying to take them off my local cable company channels. They need to add different plans one without all that stuff and one with. I would not mind trying it out for a month or 2 to try it out but i doubt i would keep using it.

Well we all know MS are super greedy for many years now before even there was a console by them. They are all about the money and just keeping it good enough barely for us to stay while they jack the prices. They will make up for the loss of people leaving cause the rest of us will be paying there subs.

Sorry for the ramblings i am shocked and disturbed about this. Not fun to just wakeup and read what they are doing.

I noticed this morning they got a huge deal on yearly subscriptions on my dashboard so people should check that out.

They have to start doing quality control in MP games if they want to jack the prices. I do not want to pay $10 a month for Live. Then $17 or whatever for netflix then god knows how much per month for server fees for future cod games. Then the MS points addiction i got going on. I love spending $10 for a hour long dlc addon. :(

You silly people.. paying the extra $10 means you can continue to download demos a WEEK BEFORE SILVER! Lyke OMGZ

[quote name='sukru']I am unhappy with the increase. I wish they had put the cost on some other entity.

Unfortunately bandwidth costs money, and the model XBL has the price being paid by the users.

[/QUOTE]

Actually bandwidth costs less and less as time goes by. It should be cheaper if you are going by BW aspect of it.

I agree with the other person they are trying to make the money back fast from the new deal to make big $$$ The cheap live stuff now will make most people deal with it. They know most of us are hooked and the people that can not afford it will be lost and they think they do not really by ms points most of them anyways cause they can not afford it.

I think Sony needs to wakeup and give them something to be scared about so the prices drop in the future. They know most people prefer xbox live over ps3 online. I tell you MS are smart and super greedy and know how to milk people. They always have and always will.

They need to make different plans but they will not cause they will lose so much money so it will never happen.

[quote name='iamnick']You silly people.. paying the extra $10 means you can continue to download demos a WEEK BEFORE SILVER! Lyke OMGZ[/QUOTE]

Pay me $10 and i will let you download a demo. You make me laugh so much about paying $10 a month just to play a demo a week early. What has the world come to.... How about pay $10 a month to play a beta a month. I might bite on that but a demo ummm go download a pc demo of it or ps3 demo. I do not know what else to say this just shocked me someone wants to pay $10 a month to play a demo 1 week early. This is why people get suckered into them. MS is doing there job making people think a demo week early is a honor. I would not get gold just to get a demo 1 week earlier....

Last edited by a moderator:
i dropped my gold membership after my ps3 netflix strraming became possible. i used to buy multiplat games on the xbox to reduce wear and tear on the ps3 - my only blu ray player. now i get all multiplayer games on the ps3.

by the way, there has actually been deflation and very very very mild inflation the last few year. nowhere near 20% inflation. i guess they dont care since they would have to lose one in five gold members just to break even and i am sure it will be more like one in 20 that leave.

for my part, i say screw ms and this price increase. i enjoyed gaming on live but now there really is 0 chance i am going back other than on free promo weekends.

This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read on CAG.

In other news, my apartment told me they were going to raise my rent next year. Y university said the same thing. Hey, didn't games used to be 50.00?

Wait a minute...this can't be! I must go and bitch on the message boards! If I call everyone a sheep, maybe I can get some people on my side. Sheep! You are all xbot sheep! Major Nelson is your shepard and he's taking your 10.00 to use as toilet paper can't you see!?

I could have bought 10 tacos with that 10.00.

[quote name='seanr1221']This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read on CAG.

In other news, my apartment told me they were going to raise my rent next year. Y university said the same thing. Hey, didn't games used to be 50.00?

Wait a minute...this can't be! I must go and bitch on the message boards! If I call everyone a sheep, maybe I can get some people on my side. Sheep! You are all xbot sheep! Major Nelson is your shepard and he's taking your 10.00 to use as toilet paper can't you see!?

I could have bought 10 tacos with that 10.00.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

And I usually buy sub and points cards when they're on sale.

This is Cheapassgamer, not Bitchassgamer.

[quote name='seanr1221']This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read on CAG.

I could have bought 10 tacos with that 10.00.[/QUOTE]

Using this idiotic logic, the PS3 should cost 900 and the 360 600. Not everything goes up in price. The things that run Live are pure unadulterated profit at this point. They are increasing the price because they can, end of discussion. They know you will pay it, you likely have no choice since they locked you into their platform. And its just going to get worse.

And 10 tacos for 10 bucks? Del Taco has them for 39 cents. Learn to shop around.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Using this idiotic logic, the PS3 should cost 900 and the 360 600. Not everything goes up in price. The things that run Live are pure unadulterated profit at this point. They are increasing the price because they can, end of discussion. They know you will pay it, you likely have no choice since they locked you into their platform. And its just going to get worse.

And 10 tacos for 10 bucks? Del Taco has them for 39 cents. Learn to shop around.[/QUOTE]

i miss del taco, they need to open a store here in NW . taco de mar and taco time sucks balls.

[quote name='Scorch']every single one of you will still buy the year subscription to xbox live.[/QUOTE]

You sir, are officially and unequivocally wrong.

bread's done
Back