XBox One Back Compatability Thread - 6/10/19 - RIP Back Compatibility. Final batch listed in post #2

GTA San Andreas (and Table Tennis and Midnight Club LA) coming next week - the GOOD news is, in addition to the craptastic 360 version of San Andreas, they are ALSO making the original XBox version playable.

EDIT - looks like I may have got excited for nothing. The article announcing it actually says that owners of the original Xbox version on disc will be able to use it, but using the disc will actually just download the "enhanced 360 version."

Too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Table Tennis and Midnight Club are both not working for me via physical disc... tells me the 360 game is not compatable and for a full list go to xbox.com or something like that.

edit: nevermind, I was offline.

This is kind of cool. Some data on BC so far. Swiped from Reddit.

rac43h4a7r411.png

Not super surprising, but it has slowed down this year. A lot of the "most requested" games are ones that were highly upvoted early on, but then had remasters come up, so the likelihood of something like Skyrim or GTA V coming are pretty unlikely.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

Tomb Raider Legend

Tomb Raider Anniversary

I just noticed these titles were just added, couldn’t add them to the wiki on my iPad.

Yeah I've had my computer in a recording studio for a couple weeks so I've been slacking. Should be able to keep it more up to date now.

Yeah, never mind. They tease back compatibility but deliver an announcement that they're going to some comic convention.

I am running into an error with FF13 saying it's not BC. 13-2 and 13-3 installed just fine. I am playing on a One X. I tried all 3 discs of ff13. Any ideas of what to do?

FWIW, last year about this time they took over a month off for the holidays, so we'll see if history repeats pretty soon here.

I'm still impressed by how good they've done with this. The library they're going to have for the next Xbox is going to be insane. Just looking over my shelf, I've still got some hidden gems and silly choices I'd like to see go BC. My wish list for 2019 (putting in spoilers so nobody freaks out thinking these ARE being added to BC, lol)

50 Cent: Blood in the Sand

Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust

Lollipop Chainsaw

Max Payne 3

The Simpsons Game

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Just a rumor for now, but there has been talk (nothing official, but the usual "a guy at the company told me" thing) that MK9 will be made BC in the weeks leading up to MK11's release.

That's it for the year. See you in a few weeks.

Why are they holding off some key titles? Plenty of games were MS can make extra revenue streams.

They need permission from the publishers. Some publishers, for whatever reason, don't want their games back compatible. Others may have issues with licensing (be it the property the game is based on, music in the game, or whatever).

New today:

Command and Conquer Red Alert 3
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 Commander’s Challenge
Command and Conquer 3 Kane’s Wrath
Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars

New X1X enhancements for:

Ninja Gaiden II

Splinter Cell Conviction, Double Agent, & Blacklist

Fable II & III

Probably going to start to let this thread drift off, disregarding the fact that these forums are pretty dead, it's clear at this point they don't give a shit about back compatibility nearly as much as they used to. Rumors popped up a while back that a chunk of the BC team was moved on to other projects (like Xcloud) and it sure seems like that's the case.

Pretty disappointing. They've done a decent job of getting a lot of games on there, but there's still a ton to go. And don't even get me started on how god-awful the original Xbox support has been.

I'll still update the list occasionally but it's not going to be current all the time.

Not so fast!

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1123980741044469762?s=19

Final batch of 360 and original XBox games listed now. Also a small batch of new X1X enhancements including:

Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts
Banjo-Tooie
Kameo Elements of Power
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise

They have announced that they're done with back compatibility. Incredibly fucking disappointing.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/10/e3-2019-whats-next-xbox-backward-compatibility/

It's going to continue on the next console in some form (and all X1 games will work on the next console), but what that exactly means has not been made clear.

I guess my work here is done.

So here are the new :xbox: games that are BC (* = new free content):

Armed and Dangerous*
Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow*
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Chaos Theory*
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict

================================================================================

Several :xbox: games are getting free content added to them as well:

Armed and Dangerous

• New Mission: Summer Home
Star Wars Battlefront

• New Map: Jabba
Star Wars Battlefront II

• Expansion Pack (4 new maps, 1 new hero: Kit Fisto and 1 new villain: Asajj Ventress)
  • New mode: Kashyyyk Assault
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

• Equipment store: Yavin Station
Star Wars Republic Commando

• Multiplayer Map: Hangar
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell

• 3 Mission Packs: Kola Cell, Vselka Infiltration, and Vselka Submarine
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow

• 2 Map Packs (split-screen multi-player maps): Federal Bank and River Mall
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

• 2 Mission Packs (split-screen co-op missions): Nuclear Plant and UN Headquarters
  • 2 Map Packs (split-screen multi-player maps): Polar Base and Steel Squat
================================================================================

And here are the new :360: games that are BC:

Asura’s Wrath
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
Enchanted Arms
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Far Cry Classic
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Infinite Undiscovery
Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
Skate
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syndicate
Too Human (now digitally available and FREE)
Unreal Tournament III

To everyone that is saddened (or worse) about no new additions to :xb1: BC after this, don't dwell on the titles that have yet to be added.  Instead focus on the OVER SIX HUNDRED titles that are available to you now.  You have LOTS of options.

Not feeling super appreciative when their messaging this whole time has been how they think you should be able to play all of your games on everything you own. Cutting off the back compatibility program ~18 months ahead of time doesn't really seem to reflect that. I understand they are diverting some resources to the new console, but I find it hard to believe that Microsoft is stretched thin by any means.

Sure, there are lots of games, but there are a lot more that didn't make it over that should have. Their support of the original Xbox has been a joke.

Anyway, picked up the last copy of Unreal Championship 2 from my local used game place. Four bucks. Looks like it's up on the store now, along with the rest of the new stuff.

One final update, but it's a doozy:

A list of 70+ games added to the BC library:

back-compat.png

A list of games getting FPS boost:

fps-new.png

Anyone else is able to get Scramble from their previous purchase history? That one is not working for me, shows full price on the store and it is not displayed on my Ready To Install list

bread's done
Back