Xbox One Console Thread (Console is currently in stock as of 12/3 at Amazon)

I hate to post this as it's in the Xbox One thread but to clarify some of the ps4 issues it seems like it has to do with a faulty HDMI port. Both IGN and Kotaku have had faulty units and this was the piece that broke on both.

Praying that the Xbox is limited with issues but there's always something that is found.

Not starting a war.. just seeing some people throwing out random stuff.

For those of you buying extended warranties...you may want to check with your credit card company. I used my discover card simply because they tack on an extra year to my warranty. I'll pay it off immediately, and get a two year warranty for free.

Coming in earlier would just secure your spot earlier. Think of it like this, if you are the first person in line then you will be the first person to pick up your console. How GameStop does midnight releases is they make you pay (even if you already paid) and give you a receipt with a number on it that is basically valued at the amount of the item. So the Xbox One receipt you get at 6 pm will be valued at $500. DON'T LOSE YOUR RECEIPT!

But that is pretty much it. If you are number 5 you will be the fifth person to get your Xbox One once the clock strikes midnight, give or take however long it takes to hand out the four before you.
Is this really how they are doing it? Seems pretty lame if they don't have enough pre orders for everyone. So say I preordered back when it first announced, but I can't make it to the store till about 8:00, in those two hours my preorder can already have been allotted to some shmoe that preordered the last time they were open?

Seems legit...

Coming in earlier would just secure your spot earlier. Think of it like this, if you are the first person in line then you will be the first person to pick up your console. How GameStop does midnight releases is they make you pay (even if you already paid) and give you a receipt with a number on it that is basically valued at the amount of the item. So the Xbox One receipt you get at 6 pm will be valued at $500. DON'T LOSE YOUR RECEIPT!

But that is pretty much it. If you are number 5 you will be the fifth person to get your Xbox One once the clock strikes midnight, give or take however long it takes to hand out the four before you.
What I'm planning to do since I don't have a pre-order. This means that even people with pre-orders will go in later than some non pre-orders?

Wait, I'll have to pay an additional $500 for the receipt? huh

For those of you buying extended warranties...you may want to check with your credit card company. I used my discover card simply because they tack on an extra year to my warranty. I'll pay it off immediately, and get a two year warranty for free.
where is your warrantie with for the discover thing

Is this really how they are doing it? Seems pretty lame if they don't have enough pre orders for everyone. So say I preordered back when it first announced, but I can't make it to the store till about 8:00, in those two hours my preorder can already have been allotted to some shmoe that preordered the last time they were open?

Seems legit...
No if you preordered and confirmed it was a Day One then you will get your console. I was just talking about place in line during the midnight launch. GameStop will hold your preorder for 48 hours and then sell it. The only way you wouldn't get your console is if they didn't get enough shipment.

You don't have to pay an additional $500. If you already paid it off they will just FINALIZE your payment and print you a new receipt that is worth $500. That is what I mean.

In terms of trying to lineup early if you don't have a preorder. I am pretty sure the midnight release is ONLY FOR PEOPLE THAT PREORDERED. If you want to snag a console you would have to get one during the regular launch which would be like 8 am - 10 am for most retail stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of trying to lineup early if you don't have a preorder. I am pretty sure the midnight release is ONLY FOR PEOPLE THAT PREORDERED. If you want to snag a console you would have to get one during the regular launch which would be like 8 am - 10 am for most retail stores.
That's weird. I've asked the guys at my GameStops where I could get one if I didn't pre-order, and they told me to call back on Thursday and come at 6pm. Maybe they misunderstood me and thought I already had one.

Okay, I read it a second time and understood it lol. Yeah, they make you come in to make sure it's all finalized--got it. My bad lol

Got it. I'll head there maybe a half hour early or so. Thank you! :)

No if you preordered and confirmed it was a Day One then you will get your console. I was just talking about place in line during the midnight launch. GameStop will hold your preorder for 48 hours and then sell it. The only way you wouldn't get your console is if they didn't get enough shipment.

You don't have to pay an additional $500. If you already paid it off they will just FINALIZE your payment and print you a new receipt that is worth $500. That is what I mean.

No man thats wrong. The launch event is not just for people who preordered. Its open to everyone. If your store is only holding an event for people who preordered then you may have only gotten enough xbox ones to cover pre orders. I doubt thats the case though because everyone is supposed to be getting a batch of standard edition xbox ones. We have extras to sell the day of launch, so Id suggest waiting inline if you didnt pre order. Its first come first serve on those systems we have extra.

No man thats wrong. The launch event is not just for people who preordered. Its open to everyone. If your store is only holding an event for people who preordered then you may have only gotten enough xbox ones to cover pre orders. I doubt thats the case though because everyone is supposed to be getting a batch of standard edition xbox ones. We have extras to sell the day of launch, so Id suggest waiting inline if you didnt pre order. Its first come first serve on those systems we have extra.
Thanks for clarifying that for everyone. I didn't realize they would be selling consoles other than preorders.

Thanks for clarifying that for everyone. I didn't realize they would be selling consoles other than preorders.
No problem dude, just remember that they are standard edition console not the day one editions. If people dont pickup there day one editions within 48 hours then Id suggest showing up to a store on sunday morning and checking with them. Goodluck to everyone.

I'd like to thank whoever posted about the free year of Xbox Live Gold for retail employees through Microsoft Expert Zone. I don't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure it was in this thread. Anyway, I signed up 2 days ago. Never got an email about my paystub being verified, but logged on today and it was. Took the assessment and got my code. Thanks to MykelxKnight, I'll hopefully be getting a free Xbox One at some point and thanks to whoever posted this, I'm already sitting on a free year of Live! This launch could not be better. :D Hopefully going to swap out a free copy of Knack for a free X1 game and I'm all set for this X1 launch for basically $0 out of pocket.

Seems legit...
This is how they do every preorder basically...

Either way as everyone said if you confirmed your preorder for a Day One Edition, you will get it. They are kind of a big company... they have their s#!t together.

I know this isn't the case at Best Buy. Each preorder has a serial number tied to it so that way you get the console that came in for you. There's no "Oops.. sold your copy!"

The numbers have already been scanned in and tagged.

Yea they set aside the consoles in the order that they are in the system.  People getting their consoles at a midnight release are called or emailed to let them know it is ready for pickup because their specific console is ready... no need to worry!

As far as GameStop goes.. they called me last night to inform me of their current trade-in specials and the details of the midnight launch for my Xbox One. The hype is building!!

I know this isn't the case at Best Buy. Each preorder has a serial number tied to it so that way you get the console that came in for you. There's no "Oops.. sold your copy!"

The numbers have already been scanned in and tagged.
I was told something similar when last month I asked a BB employee how online preorders work. I mentioned I was going to show up Friday afternoon. He said no worries and it won't be sold.

I was told something similar when last month I asked a BB employee how online preorders work. I mentioned I was going to show up Friday afternoon. He said no worries and it won't be sold.
Sounds fair to me. A preorder guarantees you the item for a set period of time.

What are the best warranty options for Amazon pre-orders?  I was thinking of going with SquareTrade, especially with the PS4 having issues.  I paid with my debit card so I don't think I can get any extended credit card warranty.

I am so excited.  I'm going to love this last week to launch.  I still have 31 miles to run in my 100 mile goal I made six weeks ago tomorrow.  I begin Halo 4 tonight in what will be one of the most intense durations of cardio I have ever done in that short of time.  I've been building up this launch in several ways IRL and now with the "other" launch tonight at midnight it already feels like now is the time.  The aura of launch is fully here.

I can't wait to hear all the launch experiences over the next few days. ;)

^sounds like it won't begin until at least a few months into 2014 though
That was what I first thought. Wishing they would have came out without something now and show they aren't messing around. Peggle 2 for free for all gold members. That would have made things interesting

^sounds like it won't begin until at least a few months into 2014 though
Don't care. PS+ was one of the only things making me consider a PS4 over X1 (remote play was the other). If we are going to get a couple free games a month with X1 then I'm a happy camper. This is great news!

I finally went out and walked all the way to the Microsoft Store on Michigan Ave. during my lunch today.

Wowzers, I am digging this console hahah.

They had Forza and Killer Instinct to play. I just watched some guy play Forza but then I play KI for a while with multiple different characters.

The controllers feel super nice, threw me off slightly at first but overall awesome controller. KI is looking fantastic as well.

My only concern after playing for a few minutes were the bumpers. They feel much better but the pressure needs to be placed closer to the edges of the controller and it will not depress if the pressure is placed more towards the inside. I occasionally claw my finger for the bumpers and have it ride up and so I found myself having to adjust a bit.

Very minor but was curious if anyone else noticed that or if I am just crazy? haha

Don't care. PS+ was one of the only things making me consider a PS4 over X1 (remote play was the other). If we are going to get a couple free games a month with X1 then I'm a happy camper. This is great news!
Is PS+ the same as it was with PS3? Meaning you only get to keep the free games as long as you continue to subscribe?

Is PS+ the same as it was with PS3? Meaning you only get to keep the free games as long as you continue to subscribe?
I haven't heard anything different. I can't imagine they would change it so that you can keep them.

That is one big plus the Xbox has over Playstation's, Gold users keep their games even after dropping to Silver.

I haven't heard anything different. I can't imagine they would change it so that you can keep them.

That is one big plus the Xbox has over Playstation's, Gold users keep their games even after dropping to Silver.
Yea, I never liked that about PS+. You barely 'own' digital versions of games anyways, but at least with 360 they are permanently tied to your account.

Is PS+ required for online play now too?

I'd like to thank whoever posted about the free year of Xbox Live Gold for retail employees through Microsoft Expert Zone. I don't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure it was in this thread. Anyway, I signed up 2 days ago. Never got an email about my paystub being verified, but logged on today and it was. Took the assessment and got my code. Thanks to MykelxKnight, I'll hopefully be getting a free Xbox One at some point and thanks to whoever posted this, I'm already sitting on a free year of Live! This launch could not be better. :D Hopefully going to swap out a free copy of Knack for a free X1 game and I'm all set for this X1 launch for basically $0 out of pocket.
Wait does this still work if so I'm about to sign up for expert zone tonight I need to get the info from my boss to sign up.

Yea, I never liked that about PS+. You barely 'own' digital versions of games anyways, but at least with 360 they are permanently tied to your account.

Yes for online multiplayer only, Netflix and thos apps are not behind the pay wall. Not to mention the Free to Play games seperate from PS PLus that are free including the MMOs. Those games don't require plus to go online and play multiplayer.

Yeah, but that wouldn't really be a valid concern for anyone switching from Xbox. I've been paying for live for so long I don't even notice it.

Keeping the games is a nice touch, but I'd be paying for PS+ regardless.

Yeah, but that wouldn't really be a valid concern for anyone switching from Xbox. I've been paying for live for so long I don't even notice it.

Keeping the games is a nice touch, but I'd be paying for PS+ regardless.
I have thought about it that way but then the idea of paying for two subscriptions on different consoles seemed like a bit much to me. Makes complete sense though if you are going from 360 to just a PS4 then yeah who would even notice since you have been paying all of these years for Gold already.

Yes for online multiplayer only, Netflix and thos apps are not behind the pay wall. Not to mention the Free to Play games seperate from PS PLus that are free including the MMOs. Those games don't require plus to go online and play multiplayer.
Ok thanks, I play MP stuff on 360 mainly for achievement purposes, so probably won't need to shell out loot for PS+.

I have thought about it that way but then the idea of paying for two subscriptions on different consoles seemed like a bit much to me. Makes complete sense though if you are going from 360 to just a PS4 then yeah who would even notice since you have been paying all of these years for Gold already.
Definitely. Yeah, I doubt I ever pay for both at any point, even if I do end up with a PS4 at some point.

No, you can get away with out it. the free games are nice though, but the fact that you get free access to DCU online, Backlight retribution, and warfram online with Plus is great.

Glad to see Xbox continue games with Gold, just hope the selection gets better.

bread's done
Back